TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Upgrade offers to Roamio advice needed

What are the offers that TiVo is offering for upgrading to the newer box?

I ask because in talking to a TiVo cs to correct a billing issue, the guy told me I could replace my TiVo HD with the basic Roamio for.$150 with it replacing my existing HD which has a $9.95 monthly service fee with no contract. (been active for more than 5 years).

From reading others posts I have seen other asking and receiving lifetime service on their HD's for $99 which is the way I would prefer to go but how do I go about to get that? Right now I have two TiVo's, a HD and a basic Premiere which are month to month service and they suit me fine but having the multi-room ability would be good if add a mini however I'm really OK right now.

Only advantage I see for me to replace my HD with a Roamio is to have the newer TiVo, the customer service guy was a little pushy and kept reminding me that this offer was only good until end of the month on Friday but my thought is that there will be new offers later. I'm really satisfied with my lowly 2 tuner Premier, I don't watch a lot of TV and even between the wife and son (who has the HD in his room) I do not have a complicated TV house, I grew up only having 3 channels on TV so hard core TV watching isn't a problem in my house now!

So really two questions:

should I replace my HD with a Roamio for $150, $9.95 monthly service and no contract commitment or are there better offers now or anticipated? I would like to buy a Roamio with lifetime but I simply can't afford the big upfront cost despite the savings long term.

AND, how are people getting $99 lifetime to their older TiVo's? by calling and requesting cancellation? I wouldn't mind saving $9.95 a month and just keep my HD if I only had to spend $99. This one is my son's and he is tickled just to have his own TiVo much less anything bigger and better.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
drjlb

I can't answer your $99 question. But, I placed an order for a Roamio Pro yesterday. I was told by the CSR, the basic Roamio is $25 off, Roamio Plus is $50, and Roamio Pro is $100 off through the end of the month. You can transfer monthly service from an old box (I transferred my $6.95/month service over) or buy lifetime for $399. They won't come down on that price or let you transfer lifetime from another box. The minis are on sale for $50 with the normal $5.95/month service or $150 lifetime). I also bought a mini, so he took another $25 off the price listed above for the Roamio. All prices are good through the end of the month.

In my case, I am using the service off a series 2 device, so for me, it was exactly what you stated, I'm only out the price of the box as service remains the same. I have nothing newer than a series 3 so it was time for a box upgrade.
drjlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
patrickntoni

I just got the $99 lifetime upgrade last night on two of my old HD units. I had threatend to cancel in the past and I think that's what did it for me. I started out my call saying I was thinking of switching to my cable providor for DVR service since they were offering me a great deal...but wanted to see what I might be able to do to keep Tivo instead. I specifically asked about keeping the boxes with the $99 lifetime upgrade and he said since you called to cancel let me see what I can do....in less than a minute he was taking my credit card info to process the upgrades. I also picked up a pro while I was at it. I'm a very happy camper!!
patrickntoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I'm on the fence about upgrading, my local cable company is offering "whole house TiVo" service but it appears the monthly rental charges are terrible., $99 installation fee, $20 for the service, $12 for the CC labeled Roamio box and then $5 for each have Mini. No word on how they set up the communication between own boxes but I presume it's Moca which not sue how that works especially when I already have a MOCA network.

So with my CC with one TiVo box and one mini, it will cost $37 a month which is in effect two rooms. Their equipment has it's own MAK which as I have can't be merged into an existing account so their TiVo won't talk to mine despite their initial documentation states it possible by going to TiVo .com to activate such but TiVo has told Mediacom customers that this is impossible to merge two separate accounts. But then again why couldn't one close their TiVo account, create a new one using the CC equipment and then activate their own equipment to the new account that contains the CC MAK equipment?

I can't affordable lifetime someone is going to order get a monthly fee and as much I already pay the cable company, I would rather spread my "wealth" to TiVo so I don't know. I think I may wait as there will be new offers, the only part of this that is good is getting a basic Roamio for $150 and not have a commitment fee with the lower monthly fee of my existing TiVo HD not to forget I will have a good base to be able to add more than oops with the Mini.
TiVo Premiere

Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickntoni View Post
I just got the $99 lifetime upgrade last night on two of my old HD units. I had threatend to cancel in the past and I think that's what did it for me. I started out my call saying I was thinking of switching to my cable providor for DVR service since they were offering me a great deal...but wanted to see what I might be able to do to keep Tivo instead. I specifically asked about keeping the boxes with the $99 lifetime upgrade and he said since you called to cancel let me see what I can do....in less than a minute he was taking my credit card info to process the upgrades. I also picked up a pro while I was at it. I'm a very happy camper!!
While I don't like threatening to do something I not going to do, you make a good point. I might use that to get lifetime on my HD and then sit back and wait for what TiVo may offer in the upcoming months since I suspect there will be new push to sell Roamio 's when they get the Android streaming thing figured out.

My HD isn't worth much once I deactivate it, but with lifetime it's much better.
TiVo Premiere

Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
jackief

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlb View Post
The minis are on sale for $50 with the normal $5.95/month service or $150 lifetime
Where did you see the mini on sale for $50? I see the regular $99 price on tivo's website. Thanks
jackief is offline   Reply With Quote