TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
shrike4242

Roamio tuner issues.

I had a Premiere XL in my living room and a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a severe video pixelization and audio cutout issue. I did a couple of reboots including the tuning adapter, swapped out the coax cable, splitter and everything from the wall to the Tivo. No changes with that situation, so I plugged in the coax cable to my TV, ran through the tuner detection process and had the unencrypted channels come up OK on the TV.

So, since it seemed like the Tivo was the issue and that the same unecrypted channel on the TV (USA SD version) was having bad video/audio issues on the Tivo, I assumed it was either the CableCard or the tuning adapter that were suspect. I called Charter and had them come out a couple of Saturdays ago to swap out the cable card and tuning adapter. Once they paired both devices to the Tivo, everything was working OK again.

Well, it was for only a day and a half, as the Tivo started to act very odd. Numerous channels were coming up with V58 errors and some channels were having V53 errors. I would tune to channel 2 (Fox local broadcast in SD) and would get channel 702 content (HD version of local Fox broadcast). Tuning channel 702 would come up with a V58 error on that channel. It was like the entire channel map was screwed up for this Tivo and only this Tivo. The other two Premiere XLs, the Premiere XL4 and the Roamio Pro around my house were working without any issues with correct channels.

I called Tivo and they were thinking that the Guided Setup information was all borked up, so they suggested to redo Guided setup with completely wrong information, so it would delete everything currently on the Tivo. Once it was done, they suggested to do the same thing with the correct guide information, thinking it would be all correct once it was redone. Went through this, no luck as I had the same issue. Tivo then suggested to do a Clear Everything and Delete, then run through Guided Setup again, which also ended up without any success. So, it was assumed the tuner on the Tivo was defunct and it needed to be replaced. Thankfully, it was still under an extended warranty through Squaretrade, so shipped it off to them.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I was setting up the Roamio Pro replacement and ran into the same issue yesterday. I had called Charter and had them pair the CableCard to the new Roamio Pro and according to the Tivo cheat sheet on CableCards, the CableCard was paired and supposedly working OK. I checked the Roamio Pro in my basement and since everything was working, I knew what looked "right" on the CableCard screens. The CableCard screens looked the same from both devices, so I assumed the new Roamio Pro was working correctly.

So, as it stands, the only common element right now between the previous Premiere XL and the current Roamio Pro are the CableCard, the tuning adapter and the coax cable + splitter. The only thing I can guess at this point is that Charter has the channel map for the CableCard so screwed up in the pairing process that the Tivo doesn't know what to do. Either that, or the CableCard has gone defective after being in use for 36 hours in the Premiere XL and it's still wonky in the new Roamio Pro.

I checked the SNR and signal strength and for the Roamio Pro, the SNR is in the low 40s (40-42) and signal strength was 100%. I tried putting a 3-way splitter with a -7db drop on it to try and decrease the signal, though when I did that, the Tivo complained about C133 errors and then MoCA stopped working, as well as the picture. I have a number of attenuators on the way from SmartHome.com, though they won't be on-hand until Thursday. The attenuators were ordered because all of my Tivos seem to be running with a SNR of 37-39 and I know Tivo prefers them in the 32-35 range.

I have a service call scheduled for tomorrow morning from 8-10AM with Charter, with the rep bringing a new CableCard and tuning adapter just in case.

Would it make sense that the CableCard and/or the tuning adapter is the issue and that swapping one or both devices out would make the difference? Since it's pretty much the exact issue between devices, I'm guessing the new Roamio isn't the issue. Could the high SNR be causing the Tivo's tuner not to work correctly and cause channel mapping issues? If it's a signal issue, the Charter tech should be able to check it with his test unit and see if it's running too hot.

I'm fresh out of ideas between a defective CC/TA issue or a signal issue from the wall jack. Anyone have any fresh ideas?

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
tatergator1

What about setting up/pairing the troublesome CableCard and TA with the the new Roamio box at an outlet with a working Tivo device? Since you're getting the same problem with two different devices in the same location, but all other devices in the house are fine at other locations, it seems like something may be wonky at that outlet. Setting everything up on another known "good" outlet would be a good test of that hypothesis.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
What about setting up/pairing the troublesome CableCard and TA with the the new Roamio box at an outlet with a working Tivo device? Since you're getting the same problem with two different devices in the same location, but all other devices in the house are fine at other locations, it seems like something may be wonky at that outlet. Setting everything up on another known "good" outlet would be a good test of that hypothesis.
I think I was working that way last evening, though it was on the late side before I threw in the towel.

That's certainly a good step to take, though as MoCA transfers are working without issue to/from that Tivo as well as the connected TV having no issues with the cable feed coming from the same wall jack with getting picture/video looking OK.

The only other thing that I'm thinking of that might be semi-related is that I was in the process of upgrading my MoCA adapters from ActionTec ECB2200s to ECB2500 units a couple of months ago and I could never get a ECB2500 to work at that outlet. The ECB2500 would blink its coax indicator every so often and then it would go out, repeating until done. If I put the original ECB2200 back in place of the ECB2500, the ECB2200 would work without issue. Elsewhere around the house, the ECB2500s work without issue, at my router and on my Premiere XLs. I talked with ActionTec about the issue and they never had a good answer save that the two sets of ECB2500KIT that I ordered from Amazon might be defective, though their replacement they sent me wouldn't work because it was a ECB2500V (Verizon FIOS MoCA adapter). Since the Tivo was working without any issue at that point, with the connected ECB2200, I assumed it was a quirk with the ECB2500 and let it be.

Former:
Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
shrike4242

Transplanted the Roamio Pro and tuning adapter from the living room to the kitchen, using the same coax cable from the wall, as well as the same splitter and cables to the Tivo and tuning adapter.

It's behaving the same way in the kitchen as it did in the living room. Will re-run Guided Setup and see what happens, which I'm betting will be that it continues to have wrong channels.

EDIT: Re-ran Guided Setup and it's behaving the same way. Since I'm using the same cables and the like in a known working location, it looks like it's the CableCard/tuning adapter, either bad programming on the Charter side for channel map, or that the CableCard/Tuning Adapter are defective.

Former:

Last edited by shrike4242 : 01-28-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
shrike4242

And this is where it gets very very confusing.....

Charter tech shows up sans CableCard, goes back to their repair warehouse and picks one up. He goes through the process of swapping out the cable card and the issue is still on-going with the incorrect channel mapping after making multiple calls about getting the new card paired with the new Roamio Pro. Still has issues and then he talks with someone about the serial number of the Tuning Adapter and making sure it's paired to the cable card. Goes through those steps, and after a reboot/pairing signal, it looks like the non-premium channels are working though the premium ones aren't working.

So, I go to re-do Guided Setup, which makes sense after the cable card replacement and tuning adapter re-pairing. Go through the entire Guided Setup process and BOOM, back to where I was at with incorrect channel mapping.

The odd thing is that there were a number of "added" channels with generic names like "HD HBO", which I'm guessing are place holders for when Charter changes over to the new all-digital lineup.

Though, I don't know why re-running Guided Setup would cause the issues like I re-encountered, so I think I'm up the creek for the time being. The other Roamio Pro seems to be working without issue, though the last time Guided Setup was run on that Tivo, it was two weeks ago. All the Premiere XL/XL4 units are also working without issue.

What has me concerned is why this started to happen back on the 18th with the Premiere XL and why everything seemed to be working fine for 36 hours and then it stopped working, which is why I had the thought that the Premiere XL blew out its tuner. It also has me quite concerned to run Guided Setup on any of my other Tivo units in the meantime, as I think I'll have a duplication of this issue on other devices if I re-run Guided Setup with the possibility of a transition channel map from Charter.

Right now, I don't know what the next step would be, though a call to Tivo is in the cards and hopefully will happen in the next few hours. If they don't have a clue to the issue, then I don't know what to do next.

Former:
Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
shrike4242

Called Tivo and they think that the TA is the item that's causing the problem. Charter didn't switch it out this time when they visited and as the issue seems to be still on-going, Tivo think that's the issue.

The fun part will be trying to get one.

Former:
Old 01-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
Called Tivo and they think that the TA is the item that's causing the problem. Charter didn't switch it out this time when they visited and as the issue seems to be still on-going, Tivo think that's the issue.

The fun part will be trying to get one.
That's a good possibility. When a TA is used in conjunction with a CableCard, the TA takes over the channel map. For fun, you could completely remove the TA from the setup, and just pair the CableCard. Obviously, you won't get the SDV channels, but the linear channels should be fine and it would be a good way to test if the TA is the problem.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
That's a good possibility. When a TA is used in conjunction with a CableCard, the TA takes over the channel map. For fun, you could completely remove the TA from the setup, and just pair the CableCard. Obviously, you won't get the SDV channels, but the linear channels should be fine and it would be a good way to test if the TA is the problem.
I'll do that when I get home, as a test. Couldn't hurt to give me the non-encrypted, non-SDV channels, though it's hard to know what is non-SDV for Charter.

I'm still trying to deal with getting a TA, since calling the main tech support line is semi-useless to find out if a local office has a TA. The rep that came on-site today to switch my CC said he took both (!) CCs they had stocked in the repair depot and they had no TAs on-hand. '

I'm trying whatever avenues I can to try and get this dealt with, which include Twitter, executive customer relations and whatever means I can use to get one in my possession.

Former:
Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #9
shrike4242

tatergator1, I did a reboot of the tuning adapter and while it was rebooting, the channel that the Tivo was left on, 14, came up as QVC as it should have. As soon as the TA was done rebooting, black screen.

I just unplugged the TA and I'm able to tune non-SDV channels, which include expanded basic channels, local broadcast and local HD broadcast.

I'm going to call Charter and see what they think, and if they think the TA just isn't paired correctly, they can re-pair it. Regardless, I'm going to pick up a new one from a local office they said should have one.

EDIT: Repairing didn't work, though without the tuning adapter, it looks like the majority of the channels are working, which include both premium and non-premium channels. Without the TA, it seems to work without issue, and as soon as the TA comes back online, it stops working.

Former:

Last edited by shrike4242 : 01-30-2014 at 12:31 AM.