TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
kucharsk

Anyone had a PS take out a hard drive when it seems "OK?"

I've a S3 (OLED) that died unceremoniously yesterday and took six years of saved programs with it.

The symptom was it wouldn't turn on and got stuck on the Welcome screen afterwards.

I popped it open and noticed that several caps are indeed bad, so I'll replace those, but the hard drive will no longer spin up, even when connected to a known good hard drive.

Anyone had a failing PS do this, or did the hard drive just go south on its own?

I've got caps and a new hard drive on the way, but I'm curious whether it's worth trying one of the replacement controller boards on eBay; the $40 would be worth it to retrieve the many saved shows I have on it and my functional, but now useless for content retrieval EHD.

(Ideally, if I could resurrect the hard drive, I'd transfer the contents of the S3 to the Roamio that should be arriving on my doorstep tomorrow, put the new hard drive I've ordered into the S3, repair the PS and use it as a backup.)
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
Worf

Anytime a power supply goes, anything can happen. It can send out spikes that damage ICs, or undervolt a power rail that just barely powers the logic and motors, and causes it to reset mid-write or to suddenly lose power while writing the sector.

Think of it this way - the only thing keeping back the 120V AC from the 12V/5V of the TiVO logic is the power supply. When they go, they can easily send high voltage spikes down the line or who knows what else.

Heck, I've seen new PC builds that literally blew up because the power supply was DOA. It took out the motherboard, RAM, processor, video card and hard drive when it was plugged in for the very first time. (And it was a supposedly quality PC build with parts considered high quality). On the PC side, poor power supplies are a well known cause of odd things happening on the PC - mysterious lockups, data corruption, crashes, BSODs, etc.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I've a S3 (OLED) that died unceremoniously yesterday and took six years of saved programs with it.

The symptom was it wouldn't turn on and got stuck on the Welcome screen afterwards.

I popped it open and noticed that several caps are indeed bad, so I'll replace those, but the hard drive will no longer spin up, even when connected to a known good hard drive.

Anyone had a failing PS do this, or did the hard drive just go south on its own?

I've got caps and a new hard drive on the way, but I'm curious whether it's worth trying one of the replacement controller boards on eBay; the $40 would be worth it to retrieve the many saved shows I have on it and my functional, but now useless for content retrieval EHD.

(Ideally, if I could resurrect the hard drive, I'd transfer the contents of the S3 to the Roamio that should be arriving on my doorstep tomorrow, put the new hard drive I've ordered into the S3, repair the PS and use it as a backup.)
Probably co-incidental, especially if that was the original 250GB drive, they're starting to drop like flies.

TiVo power supplies that fall victim to "capacitor plague" generally can no longer put out sufficient current, so under load (generally the only safe way to operate a switch-mode power supply, and being switch-mode is why it needs low ESR high temp caps in the first place) output voltage sags.

That can cause all sorts of strange symptoms, but the most likely is either spontaneous reboots (voltage falls too low, the CPU resets), or the drive doesn't get properly spun up (takes more current to start it spinning than to keep it spinning).

I'm not saying it's impossible for the power supply to take out the drive, but but I'd be more inclined to suspect the drive getting old and going bad all on it's own.

Did you mean the drive had been connected to a known good power supply, like a PC's supply?

Was the supply also connected to a PC motherboard at the time (speaking of the need to operate with a proper load)?

The only shows you could possibly copy to a Roamio or other TiVo are the ones (without the anti-copy bit set by your cable company) which you could have been copying to a PC all this time, and that requires the drive be in the TiVo that recorded the shows and the TiVo be working, unless you put a copy of that drive in the TiVo that it can't tell from the original drive.

(Not a job for any Windows programs of which I know)

There's an outside chance, if it's "failing" and not "already failed" of "Xerox"-ing the S3 drive to another drive on a byte by byte basis using a PC, and then sticking that other drive into the S3 after you get the power supply straightened out.

Involves command line Linux stuff and freezing the old drive and keeping it iced down during the copy, which could take a day or two, depending on how small you have to set the "bite" size when "Xerox"-ing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
kucharsk

The drive doesn't spin up or even attempt to when connected to a known good external drive case power supply.

I've been debating whether or not to buy a controller board off eBay for $40 in the hope that it's the board, not the mechanism, that fried, but I'm not sure whether the programs I had on it (plus the external) are worth $40.

No copy-protect bits; I'm over-the-air only.

I couldn't have copied the programs off anyway; I've four computers but all are Macs, and the Mac TiVo Desktop doesn't download.

(As an aside, this kit is easily the best $30 I've ever spent; I can't begin to count how many times I've used it in how many situations…

Emergency Drive Copy Kit)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
The drive doesn't spin up or even attempt to when connected to a known good external drive case power supply.

I've been debating whether or not to buy a controller board off eBay for $40 in the hope that it's the board, not the mechanism, that fried, but I'm not sure whether the programs I had on it (plus the external) are worth $40.

No copy-protect bits; I'm over-the-air only.

I couldn't have copied the programs off anyway; I've four computers but all are Macs, and the Mac TiVo Desktop doesn't download.

(As an aside, this kit is easily the best $30 I've ever spent; I can't begin to count how many times I've used it in how many situations…

Emergency Drive Copy Kit)
What's the brand and model number of that drive?

I may have parts.

That USB adapter you linked to is from $5 to $15 more than several others very similar in appearance I've seen in various places online under several different brand names. Reviews on them have been mixed, with the unhappy ones mentioning a lack of overall quality.

How's the "fit and finish" on yours?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
kucharsk

I love the Emergency Drive Kit; I've used it several times, find it to be very well made and I love the fact it has all the cables I need in one small package to attach to IDE or SATA.

The drive from my S3 was a WD2500BS WD Caviar. The controller board has the part number 2061-701335-F00 and it was made 20 Sep 2006.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
I love the Emergency Drive Kit; I've used it several times, find it to be very well made and I love the fact it has all the cables I need in one small package to attach to IDE or SATA.

The drive from my S3 was a WD2500BS WD Caviar. The controller board has the part number 2061-701335-F00 and it was made 20 Sep 2006.
I've got one from 14 OCT 2006 and those numbers match.

The rest are

AD XT 3N06 WW25 5 0002110 7 112

Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
kucharsk

I tried sending you a PM; would you be willing to part with that drive?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
I tried sending you a PM; would you be willing to part with that drive?
I got the PM, I've just been dealing with other stuff.

Let me see if I can get my brain working by tonight or tomorrow and get back in touch with you about this.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
kucharsk

I'm not sure why emailing me didn't work.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I'm not sure why emailing me didn't work.
Quite possibly because other stuff got in the way and I never did.

I shall try to rectify that situation as soon as I can.