TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 AM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Exclamation Billing mistakes? Check your account!

I don't log to Into my online TiVo account very often, but in seeing the deals offered by TiVo recently, I decided I might be interested so in doing a upgrade but in checking my existing TiVo's I found out I was being billed for monthly service for a unit I don't have and haven't had for almost a year!

Anyone else have similar issues? In my case this was a TiVo that they sent me to replace a defective one when I bought it originally which the replacement, being a refurbished box was defective too! I know, how stupid can one be for not noticing such however still, I'm a little turned off on how they could make such a mistake and kicking myself for letting it happen for a year.

I contacted TiVo by email, I would call but it's after their normal call time so I will follow up tomorrow on this but If anyone has had unusual interaction with receiving and returning equipment you might want to check and make sure you aren't being charged for something you shouldn't be. I kinda wonder if there is someone out there receiving free service without paying especially if they refurbish these boxes and send them back out but the one I'm getting charged for had a bad hdmi port so it may have been thrown away when they got it back.

Questions now is what do I do with a $100+ credit? Get a new TiVo or even a Stream? I would jump on the Stream if they supported Android.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:07 AM   #2
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
...kicking myself for letting it happen for a year.
I understand not logging in to TiVo.com for a while, but I would never miss a recurring charge on a bank or credit card statement.

Hopefully TiVo is able to work it out for you.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
tatergator1

Quote:
Questions now is what do I do with a $100+ credit? Get a new TiVo or even a Stream? I would jump on the Stream if they supported Android.
Don't start spending that yet. There was another user a few months ago who reported the same situation. You might get last month's charge refunded, but be prepared to have Tivo tell you tough luck on the rest of the money.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
I don't log to Into my online TiVo account very often, but in seeing the deals offered by TiVo recently, I decided I might be interested so in doing a upgrade but in checking my existing TiVo's I found out I was being billed for monthly service for a unit I don't have and haven't had for almost a year!

Anyone else have similar issues? In my case this was a TiVo that they sent me to replace a defective one when I bought it originally which the replacement, being a refurbished box was defective too! I know, how stupid can one be for not noticing such however still, I'm a little turned off on how they could make such a mistake and kicking myself for letting it happen for a year.

I contacted TiVo by email, I would call but it's after their normal call time so I will follow up tomorrow on this but If anyone has had unusual interaction with receiving and returning equipment you might want to check and make sure you aren't being charged for something you shouldn't be. I kinda wonder if there is someone out there receiving free service without paying especially if they refurbish these boxes and send them back out but the one I'm getting charged for had a bad hdmi port so it may have been thrown away when they got it back.

Finding out what your paying monthly by logging into TiVo or any other account seems backwards, when you gave up the old TiVo did you not tell TiVo to stop the monthly charges ? and did you not check your Credit Card to see if TiVo had stopped the charge? errors are made all the time when one changes things, it is up to you to make sure that the change went OK, by looking at you Credit Card and/or your bank statement.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Don't start spending that yet. There was another user a few months ago who reported the same situation. You might get last month's charge refunded, but be prepared to have Tivo tell you tough luck on the rest of the money.
if it's being billed to a credit card, and tivo refuses to refund at least 6 months of the incorrect charges, the credit card company can help get the money back.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I'm not blond but disabled with rather some very serious health issues the last two years and haven't been able to keep on top of everything such as my financial transactions properly. My wife has always left bill paying to me and while she saw the monthly billing she dismissed it as she didn't know better. Only the last few months have I gotten back on top of bill paying, I should be ashamed of such but only post this to advert the same mistake happening to others.

It took me awhile on the phone but TiVo did give me 9 months credit primarily due to the fact that I've been a customer almost 10 years. It wasn't the full amount but regardless it's partially my fault so it's all good. TiVo showed that I had returned all the units so it wasn't a question of the device in question was really being used some were.

The customer service guy I spoke to was fascinated why my account got messed up, the issue at hand involved at least 3 TiVo's being returned and even under my account the last returned TiVo showed inactive with no service yet (which is why I never looked at it closely) it had the button to restore it to active service as if it sitting in my closet gathering dust.

Just as I suggested to check your billing history especially for TiVo's that show inactive, also might also suggest to keep the laptops and Internet access away from people like me who are in the hospital under heavy medications...I'm still surprised by certain eBay auctions I won and other things I bought with no memory of or barely recall that when I ask my wife about something odd that a come across in the house she tells me, "Oh you ordered that.... "
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
celtic pride

Sorry to hear you had health problems hope you continue to get better,And happy to see that tivo was able to credit back those 9 months! This may sound corny or maybe i'm just sensitive and sentimental but i kinda feel like all us tivo users are a family and have to stick together!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
BP-isMe

It happened to me too

A few years ago, I canceled service on a TiVo after I upgraded. They were supposed to cancel it after the payment period was over. They never canceled it. I noticed it after 10 months and gave them a call. They said that they could only credit the previous 3 months. I told them that is was their mistake that caused this and they should take the hit...not me. They could see the never completed disconnect order in their system and could also see that my old TiVo had not called in for over 10 months. It took a while on the phone but they were able to credit me for most (not all) of it.

Moral of story...Check your account

Brad
BP-isMe is offline   Reply With Quote