TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Agatha Mystery

Top Chef - New Orleans - season thread (spoilers)

So Top Chef has returned. Yay for not having the competition to get the coats, although it looks like there was some sort of sous chef competition or something, as Padma said that a few of them had immunity.

First challenge off the bat was an elimination challenge. No big surprise since there were so many of them. Nice to see that some people who didn't make it last season got a second chance at making it back in.

You'd expect that the chefs would be aware that they'd have the opportunity to cook frog legs, alligator, and turtle (although turtle not so much). Those are definitely foods that are region specific and you'd have to know that that would happen. Now, how often do you come across those foods elsewhere? Probably not as much. But if you have time to prepare, I'd imagine that you'd try and prepare regional items, including crayfish. Those are probably going to show up at some point.

As far as the new contestants - much will be made of the "good looking chef dude". They're already portraying him as the ego. Of course this means that he will make it through at least half of the season, or we'll lose some of our manufactured drama. We also have "Pretty chef girl in short shorts and flip flops in the kitchen". That's going to get on people's nerves as well. She will probably make it halfway as well.

Edited to add: Last Chance Kitchen has started as of 10/23. This thread will include spoilers for LCK after it has shown as well.

Last edited by Agatha Mystery : 10-24-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I think that first competition was just to get one or two local New Orleans chefs into the show I don't think there will be any side competitions this year.

I'm watching. Like the hottie Australian chef. (the girl. Not Curtis)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Agatha Mystery

Curtis bothers me.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Agatha Mystery

2nd episode spoilers below -

I was wrong. Pretty boy ego chef went home. I honestly didn't expect it to happen that fast. The hand rolls getting slimy makes sense as a reason. However, Tom mentioned something inside that tasted bad, but they didn't ask him about that or ding him on it. Pretty boy thinking he was top 5 material just goes to show what kind of ego he has. He might have a top 5 meal that he is able to make, but that doesn't make him a top 5 chef.

I'm already over the chick from the "islands". Not because of her cooking, but because she must always mention it. If she keeps mentioning it, it will get old in a hurry.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Yup. So much for these ongoing theories that the producers decide to keep people for drama or whatever. Just doesn't happen on Top Chef.

Is there not a last chance kitchen this time? The guy mentioned fighting back to get in via LCK, but so far I have seen no mention of it. Am I just missing it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ack. I missed this somehow. Going now to set SP.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
sharkster

Love that pretty boy ego chef is outta there. He was in serious need of a b!tch slappin' and that's what he got. I love how guys like that always rationalize their axing with more of their egotistical b.s. though. They can't ever 'take it like a man'. LMAO

Seems to be some pretty decent talent this time around. I have to say that I do rather enjoy it more when I see chefs I recognize and there isn't anybody in this crop I recognize.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Love that pretty boy ego chef is outta there. He was in serious need of a b!tch slappin' and that's what he got. I love how guys like that always rationalize their axing with more of their egotistical b.s. though. They can't ever 'take it like a man'. LMAO.
I was surprised he went: I thought it would be the girl (who was up for the second time IIRC). But I am glad he's gone. Early on I focus on who I hate rather than who I want to win. He was one I hated.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
paracelsus

According to the Bravo website LCK premieres October 23rd.
paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
justen_m

Missed it too, just set a new SP.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Ack. I missed this somehow. Going now to set SP.
Same here. I am looking online for what I missed.

Agatha is dissing Curtis just so her hubby won't get jealous and kill him.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Same here. I am looking online for what I missed.

Agatha is dissing Curtis just so her hubby won't get jealous and kill him.
No. Curtis truly bothers me. I don't find him attractive the second he speaks. The accent is great, but he just bugs me. It's funny, though, my husband doesn't like Padma either because he thinks she's a b*tch.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
No. Curtis truly bothers me. I don't find him attractive the second he speaks. The accent is great, but he just bugs me. It's funny, though, my husband doesn't like Padma either because he thinks she's a b*tch.
I agree with Inigo.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
sharkster

For those who have missed the first couple of eps - I'm surprised your SP didn't pick this up. Well, that's to say - if you still had just a generic 'Top Chef' SP. I always check first because you never know when they'll change the name to include the location du jour. This time they didn't (I've continued to just keep my original TC SP on deck).

But then I do have a great deal of time on my hands.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I've always kept my generic Top Chef season pass, adding in a city specific one when needed.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
bryhamm
randomize

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Agatha Mystery

I dislike these kinds of challenges, but I understand why they do it. I think this is one of those challenges that is supposed to test the chef's taste buds. I guess it's one thing to create a great dish with flavors you know and like, but it's another to know what all of the flavors that you might not favor taste like.

I did find it funny that the girl who didn't know how to make biscuits, only knew the ratio, made better biscuits than the Commander's Palace chef. He took it well when they pointed that fact out.

The chick with the plate that didn't have the Okra in the right orientation had it correct before she plated (or before her plates got dumped). Not sure how they got out of alignment. I'd almost bet she did a plate wipe and didn't reposition them.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I actually liked this challenge. Really, it's the way a lot of chefs come up with the dishes they liked to serve. Re-creating something they had elsewhere. And of course, if you go and work for some one else instead of opening your own place, you are gonna have to do a lot of it anyway.

Just wish Paul Prudhome would have had a little more to say.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I actually liked this challenge. Really, it's the way a lot of chefs come up with the dishes they liked to serve. Re-creating something they had elsewhere. And of course, if you go and work for some one else instead of opening your own place, you are gonna have to do a lot of it anyway.

Just wish Paul Prudhome would have had a little more to say.
I don't mind this challenge but wish that the chefs were allowed just a little more time. Not only a new item with no recipe but in such a short time that there really wasn't time to redo/mess up. I guess having it the night before let's them go back and think it out some.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
justen_m

I dislike the time challenges. They get awesome ingredients, then 30-90 minutes? My best dishes take 8-10 HOURS! They can't do real bbq in an hour! It takes a heck of a lot longer to do, say braised lamb tongue, too.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Stephanie actually smiled at Judges' Table. i didn't think she had it in her.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I dislike the time challenges. They get awesome ingredients, then 30-90 minutes? My best dishes take 8-10 HOURS! They can't do real bbq in an hour! It takes a heck of a lot longer to do, say braised lamb tongue, too.
Well, to be fair, they did give them overnight and a bunch of crockpots to do a challenge - and even then some of them came up a little short.

I have said it before but it's like going to Survivor and not learning how to make fire before hand. Taste your food! So many times "underseasoned" and "overseasoned" is heard.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Well, to be fair, they did give them overnight and a bunch of crockpots to do a challenge - and even then some of them came up a little short.

I have said it before but it's like going to Survivor and not learning how to make fire before hand. Taste your food! So many times "underseasoned" and "overseasoned" is heard.
...and make sure you can drive stick in The Amazing Race!

Fundamentals!!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
...and make sure you can drive stick in The Amazing Race!

Fundamentals!!
Well played. That made me chuckle!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #25
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Love that pretty boy ego chef is outta there. He was in serious need of a b!tch slappin' and that's what he got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
I was surprised he went: I thought it would be the girl (who was up for the second time IIRC).
No way he should have gone home over some of the others. Way bummed he was my favorite.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
pmyers

Was anybody else a little surprised that they are still rebuilding 7 years after Katrina?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #27
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Was anybody else a little surprised that they are still rebuilding 7 years after Katrina?
no

I don't think the city will ever be totally re-built to the way it was before. So many people left.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Not at all. There are a lot of people who didn't have insurance or their homes weren't covered due to the 'is it a hurricane or was it a flood that damaged their homes?' issue. A lot of insurance companies tried to claim it was flood damage, and not hurricane damage, so they wouldn't have to pay out. I seem to recall a lawsuit on behalf of some for that reason.

When people weren't getting insurance to rebuild, they've been living in FEMA trailers or other places, and homes are just left to rot. I'm sure Habitat for Humanity and others have a strong presence in the area. It takes a while to voluntarily build a house. And what many people don't know about Habitat is that it isn't a free home. It's a home with a decreased mortgage that they must still qualify for.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #29
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
no

I don't think the city will ever be totally re-built to the way it was before. So many people left.
I agree...I guess I just thought any rebuilding that was going to be done would have already been done at least as far as residential homes go.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
I agree...I guess I just thought any rebuilding that was going to be done would have already been done at least as far as residential homes go.
For people with insurance and money, maybe. But those without that?