TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

NETGEAR WNCE4004-100NAS Dual-Band N900 4-Port Wi-Fi Adapter - $29.99

NETGEAR WNCE4004-100NAS Dual-Band N900 Video and Gaming 4-Port Wi-Fi Adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122509

$29.99
With Promo Code EMCPWHF45, ends 1/30
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...x-landing.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
HerronScott

Great deal! I already have one that I bought used on eBay which works great but might pick up a spare.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
mcf57

I am pretty satisfied with my router, but may be interested in this one. Other than the faster wifi , what else does this router maybe offer over others in terms of features?
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
LoREvanescence

Hmm, that is a great deal.

I have a Linksys EA2700 Now, which I have had a couple issues with.

Air Play Does not work properly
My wifi printer constantly can not be detected by any device and I can only find it by turning it off, then back on.
When ever I lose power, or turn off he cable modem or router, the cable modem will not see the router and I have to power cycle it constantly before they see each other. (this issue happened with a older linksys router I have as well and both a SA and Motorola Cable Modem).

My thoughts are, would this make air play issue free for me, and fix my printer issue?

Also, since my New iMac is wireless AC, should I just hold off and get a wireless AC router at some point. I have been eying the Airport Extremes with Time Capsule but they are out of my budget for awhile after getting the iMac.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I am pretty satisfied with my router, but may be interested in this one. Other than the faster wifi , what else does this router maybe offer over others in terms of features?
It is not a router. It wirelessly connects to your router to provide wired devices access to your network.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It is not a router. It wirelessly connects to your router to provide wired devices access to your network.
Thanks for the info, didn't know such devices existed. Would have thought this was just a router.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Is not this the same a the TiVo "N" wireless adapter + 3 additional RJ45 ports ?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Is not this the same a the TiVo "N" wireless adapter + 3 additional RJ45 ports ?
It is, with a few differences:

1) It's a 3x3 wireless design, which means it could push 450MBps in a perfect world, though will likely pull higher than the 150Mbps the Tivo adapter could pull in a perfect world.
2) The Tivo adapter only works on a Tivo, this device works on anything.
3) The Tivo adapter is likely only a 2.4GHz product, which doesn't give you the option to use the 5GHz band, which is less congested though has shorter range. The Netgear adapter is dual-band, so works in either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

It's also cheaper, since the Tivo adapter isn't $30 at the moment. The Tivo adapter, since it does work only with a Tivo, would be easier to use because you just do the config on the Tivo. The Netgear wireless bridge needs a bit more work to set it up, which you need to do from a PC.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
buscuitboy

I have all my TiVos connected via standard ethernet jacks so no real need for this personally, but I wonder if this would be a viable option to make a TiVo Mini work wirelessly? Just wondering.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
It is, with a few differences:

1) It's a 3x3 wireless design, which means it could push 450MBps in a perfect world, though will likely pull higher than the 150Mbps the Tivo adapter could pull in a perfect world.
2) The Tivo adapter only works on a Tivo, this device works on anything.
3) The Tivo adapter is likely only a 2.4GHz product, which doesn't give you the option to use the 5GHz band, which is less congested though has shorter range. The Netgear adapter is dual-band, so works in either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

It's also cheaper, since the Tivo adapter isn't $30 at the moment. The Tivo adapter, since it does work only with a Tivo, would be easier to use because you just do the config on the Tivo. The Netgear wireless bridge needs a bit more work to set it up, which you need to do from a PC.
The TiVo "N" adapter will use the 5Mhz or the 2.4Mhz, a light on the adapter tells you the band it is on.
This TiVo "N" adapter can be used on any hardware that will use a RJ45 network connection, not just TiVo.
TiVo had an older adapter called the "G" that would work only with a TiVo and the TiVos USB port.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have all my TiVos connected via standard ethernet jacks so no real need for this personally, but I wonder if this would be a viable option to make a TiVo Mini work wirelessly? Just wondering.
A lot is going to depend on the router used, the distance, number and type of walls, and competing frequencies.

But, yes, I use one of these on a Mini with an ASUS RT-N66U router, using the 5GHz band, I never have any issues, performs very well, I can barely distinguish the difference between wired and wireless.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote