TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
True Colors

Anyone know how can I donate hard drives pulled from Tivos?

I used to work on series 2 Tivos...... doing general repairs, upgrades, etc

I built up a supply of the PATA/IDE drives. I have about 25 of these, i think. Most of them are 40 or 80 gig.

It would be nice to sell these but i am not sure how much anyone would actually pay for these.

Also, I hate to throw these in the garbage if there might be someone who could use these things.

Is there any way to donate these to some sort of charity? I live in Dallas.

Thanks,

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
mr.unnatural

I don't know if they're something you could donate to charity. Chances are the folks that collect items would literally throw then in the back of a truck so they'd likely be DOA to anyone that bought them in a thrift store.

You might check to see if there are any hamfests scheduled for your area. They tend to have flea markets where anyone can rent a space and set up a table. We have one every year in Baltimore and I've rented space a few times to sell off old electronics and related items. I used to sell old hard drives for about $5-10 apiece, depending on the capacity.

You could try listing them in bulk on ebay. Problem is, the shipping would probably cost more than the asking price for the drives. You might also try Craigs List to sell them locally.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I took a bunch of old drives, after wiping them with DBAN, and gave them to a local independent PC repair shop. They offered me some store credit for them but I said I didn't want that - they could have the drives for free.

I doubt that you could sell them for any meaningful value.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I saw on youtube were guys were disassembling the hard drives for the magnets and other parts. I don't think it is cost effective though.

A friend of mine with take any metals for recycling. He doesn't disassemble them.

Hard drives that small wouldn't be worth anything except to a person with the same model Tivo with lifetime with a bad hard drive. And that is getting less likely all the time with those lifetimed Tivos being trashed even when they are working perfectly. I do keep some of those hard drives to put in lifetime Tivos that I buy, as I don't know how to put the software on a empty hard drive.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
I used to work on series 2 Tivos...... doing general repairs, upgrades, etc

I built up a supply of the PATA/IDE drives. I have about 25 of these, i think. Most of them are 40 or 80 gig.

It would be nice to sell these but i am not sure how much anyone would actually pay for these.

Also, I hate to throw these in the garbage if there might be someone who could use these things.

Is there any way to donate these to some sort of charity? I live in Dallas.

Thanks,

TC

You could put something on your local Craigslist along the lines of "If you have a Series 1 or 2 TiVo..."

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Use them to make clocks.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...72.KQcOBI8JViw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

If you find a use post about it please. I still have several dozen sitting at the bottom of my closet somewhere. I think I even have a few I never even opened.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If you find a use post about it please. I still have several dozen sitting at the bottom of my closet somewhere. I think I even have a few I never even opened.
How many GB is/are the biggest one(s)?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
How many GB is/are the biggest one(s)?
Either 300GB or 500GB. Not sure. It's been a long time since I've messed with them.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
True Colors

Okay.... here is what I came up with

There is a partnership program between Goodwill and Dell. They recycle computers and also computer related products.

The name of this program is "Dell Reconnect."

TC

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/usco...tems-reconnect

Dell Reconnect accepts any brand of used computer equipment in any condition. We also accept just about anything that can be connected to a computer.

Monitors
If the glass is broken, place the monitor in a cardboard box lined with a large plastic garbage bag. Seal the box and clearly label it with "broken monitor" and the date.

Computers (Desktop & Laptop)
See Hard Drives, below.

Printers
Including laser & inkjet

Scanners
If the glass is broken, place the scanner in a cardboard box lined with a large plastic garbage bag. Seal the box and clearly label it with "broken scanner" and the date.

Hard Drives (External or Internal)
Dell and Goodwill Industries do not accept liability for lost or confidential data or software. You are responsible for backing up any valuable information and erasing sensitive data from the hard drive before dropping it off. (If you want to completely erase the hard drive, you can find a number of free services available online.)

Keyboards
Wired or wireless

Mice
Wired or wireless

Speakers
With or without cables

Cords & Cables
Including power cords & USB cables

Ink and Toner Cartridges
Full or empty

Software
Please include the license key.

Please contact your local Goodwill to see the following items are accepted.
Televisions
Cell phones
Appliances
Dell Latitude E6320 packaging (Canada only)
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote