TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
PHeadland

What should we do with our old TiVo HD?

We switched to a Roamio Pro last year. We have been paying for annual service on our old TiVo HD, and that is due for renewal in March. Since an HD without lifetime is not worth the effort of selling, I called Tivo to cancel service. TiVo offered us the $99 lifetime service deal so we could sell the HD, but I'm really not sure it's worth the effort - it looks like HD's with lifetime don't fetch all that much money on eBay these days. Ours is upgraded with a 2TB drive, so I guess it's maybe worth a bit more, but I am still leaning towards cancelling service and scrapping it. At least if I do that I can use the 2TB drive for something else.

I'd welcome comments/thoughts/suggestions. Just please don't suggest anything that would involve effort or expense on our part, because it simply isn't worth it to us if we will only recover a few $$. IOW, a bunch of work dealing with an eBay sale just to recover $50 is not interesting.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

I would lifetime and put in the original drive before selling. Don't do it for the $$ if you don't care, do it to keep it out of a landfill and let someone have a tivo for cheap. Or, gift it.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Just throwing it away when it is perfectly good and there are people out there who are willing to pay for it seems incredibly wasteful to me. If you don't want to go through the hassle of an e-bay sale and shipment, then just put it up on Craigslist for free if someone will just come and pick it up.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I would do the $99 lifetime in a heartbeat. It would instantly make what is basically a worthless TiVo HD worth $200+. I also bet you could find a buyer here without even having to resort to dealing with ebay.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
replaytv
LovesPanda licorice

Cuz there are so many great people on the forum, get lifetime and then offer it for anyone that will come by and pick it up and give you $200 or so.Then you don't have to ship it and a forum member is rewarded for all the hard work they do helping out other forum members.

If nothing else, change out the drive and use it in your house/garage for 1/2 hour skip antenna TV in a room that doesn't have TV programing service.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHeadland View Post
We switched to a Roamio Pro last year. We have been paying for annual service on our old TiVo HD, and that is due for renewal in March. Since an HD without lifetime is not worth the effort of selling, I called Tivo to cancel service. TiVo offered us the $99 lifetime service deal so we could sell the HD, but I'm really not sure it's worth the effort - it looks like HD's with lifetime don't fetch all that much money on eBay these days. Ours is upgraded with a 2TB drive, so I guess it's maybe worth a bit more, but I am still leaning towards cancelling service and scrapping it. At least if I do that I can use the 2TB drive for something else.

I'd welcome comments/thoughts/suggestions. Just please don't suggest anything that would involve effort or expense on our part, because it simply isn't worth it to us if we will only recover a few $$. IOW, a bunch of work dealing with an eBay sale just to recover $50 is not interesting.
Unsubbed it's worth $50, maybe.

Get the lifetime on it and put it on Craigslist for $200.

If it doesn't sell after a week, drop the price a little, and then a little more the week after that if necessary.

It should be gone before it reaches $150.

I just hate the idea of a $99 PLS offer going ungrabbed.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
shrike4242

Guess I should do the same with the S3 I just took out of service, as well as the HD I retired at the end of 2012, since I'm sure they're all PLS-capable.

Though, if I have 5 Tivos on my account now, would activating both those units with Lifetime service add them onto my account?
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Rawson819

FYI, I just tried to sell an HD on eBay with starting price of $20.00 and $20.00 shipping and got no bidders. I'm going to adjust those numbers and try again.
Rawson819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Chris Gerhard

There is still a market for TiVoHD with lifetime, I am planning on buying one soon. No lifetime , I don't think it is worth over $20,, which is what I just paid for a parts machine.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
Guess I should do the same with the S3 I just took out of service, as well as the HD I retired at the end of 2012, since I'm sure they're all PLS-capable.

Though, if I have 5 Tivos on my account now, would activating both those units with Lifetime service add them onto my account?
Probably should have tried on them before taking them out of service, but if you succeed I don't see why they wouldn't be put on your account.

At least until you find a buyer and they set up their own account or transfer it to their already existing account.

The only 5 TiVo limit I know of, other than one's bank account, is that a single TiVo that's paying the full monthly or was lifetimed at full price can only serve as an anchor unit for up to 5 MSD'ed sets.

I forget how many machines I have on my account, but it's more than 5.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
TVsytem

I'm interested......maybe

I am looking for an inexpensive way to record high school events in HD using an HD video camera (HDMI or HD/SDI) I need to be able jump back from live recording to 2 - 30 seconds or so, and play back in slo mo or freeze frame stop and start for instruction or analysis. 3 TIVO reps suggested I look here on the forum because they don't have a clue if any of their products can do this or not. I received a great idea yesterday from someone saying a SD box can do it, but I need a (1080i) HD version. Maybe one of these lifetime boxes will work for this? thanks
TVsytem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVsytem View Post
I am looking for an inexpensive way to record high school events in HD using an HD video camera (HDMI or HD/SDI) I need to be able jump back from live recording to 2 - 30 seconds or so, and play back in slo mo or freeze frame stop and start for instruction or analysis. 3 TIVO reps suggested I look here on the forum because they don't have a clue if any of their products can do this or not. I received a great idea yesterday from someone saying a SD box can do it, but I need a (1080i) HD version. Maybe one of these lifetime boxes will work for this? thanks
TiVos newer than the Series 2s have no inputs except for the antenna and cable inputs, unless you count using something like the TiVo Desktop program on a PC to enable a TiVo with a subscription to copy a video from the PC over your home network.

In your case that would mean using an HD camera that can record, then copying that recording to the PC, then copying if from the PC to the TiVo, provided that you copied it to the PC in a file format the TiVo can work with.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
TVsytem

series 2

Newer than series 2 means HD?
TVsytem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVsytem View Post