TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
TVsytem

Question Video Input and Slo Mo

Sorry if I am being too lazy to keep searching but I gotta go back to work soon - I was referred to this forum by 3 separate TIVO departments.

I want to use some sort of TIVO type unit to record high school sports live from an HD video camera (HDMI, analogue component or HD/SDI out) and then be able to play back a short segment to a TV, recorder or projector in variable slo motion speeds and even stop and go freezes for training. Is this something that TVO can do? Does the input signal have to be an RF signal or can it be straight video? And do I have to subscribe to make it work in addition to the cost of a unit?

Thank you.
TVsytem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVsytem View Post
Sorry if I am being too lazy to keep searching but I gotta go back to work soon - I was referred to this forum by 3 separate TIVO departments.

I want to use some sort of TIVO type unit to record high school sports live from an HD video camera (HDMI, analogue component or HD/SDI out) and then be able to play back a short segment to a TV, recorder or projector in variable slo motion speeds and even stop and go freezes for training. Is this something that TVO can do? Does the input signal have to be an RF signal or can it be straight video? And do I have to subscribe to make it work in addition to the cost of a unit?

Thank you.
If you get a used lifetimed* single tuner Series 1 or Series 2 you can do that with an SD video source and play back on an SD TV or monitor by going through Guided Setup and lying to it about having a DirecTV subscription while having an active SD video source plugged into the composite video input jack, and then tuning to channel 1 to record whatever you feed into said input.

*That means that at some point in the past someone purchased a lifetime subscription for that unit, which is good for the lifetime of that unit, regardless of who owns it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
TVsytem

Thanks

Same goes for HD?
TVsytem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Same goes for HD?
I was very specific about the restrictions to S1s/S2s and SD because Series 3 and newer TiVos do not have inputs except antenna and cable.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

And there is only one slo-mo speed and it's only forward.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
rambler

Quote:
Same goes for HD?
You can play it on an HD tv if that is what you are asking. If the camera is HD the SD tivo will probably accept the input...
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
going through Guided Setup and lying to it about having a DirecTV subscription while having an active SD video source plugged into the composite video input jack, and then tuning to channel 1 to record whatever you feed into said input.
It doesn't have to be DirecTV. You can say you have Dish or cable. You just have to tell it that you have a source with a box that will connect to the Tivo and then also lie your way through the channel setup and changing portions of guided setup by saying yes to everything. There is no need to tune to any particular channel because the tivo itself is already set to the composite input to receive video.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It doesn't have to be DirecTV. You can say you have Dish or cable. You just have to tell it that you have a source with a box that will connect to the Tivo and then also lie your way through the channel setup and changing portions of guided setup by saying yes to everything. There is no need to tune to any particular channel because the tivo itself is already set to the composite input to receive video.
But if you do it my way, channel 1 is the line-level inputs and 2 through whatever can still be analog cable.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
But if you do it my way, channel 1 is the line-level inputs and 2 through whatever can still be analog cable.
1st - then "your way" would need to include telling the tivo during guided setup that both cable/no box (analog cable) and a directv box will be used.
2nd - but that doesn't matter because it doesn't work the way you think.

If a Tivo is set up for analog cable only, or satellite service only connected to the rf input, you may be able to connect a camera (or any other video source) to the composite input and view it and record it on channel 1 (or channel 0 for the s-video input). I say that you may be able to do it because I don't think it's possible on the S2 tivos anymore, but should still be possible on the S1 tivos.