TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2015, 03:22 AM   #1
soycd17

Desktop Interupted Transfers After Windows 8.1 Upgrade

Hi all, this is my first post. Quite unintentionally, I upgraded my PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 via Windows Store last week. Immediately afterward, TiVo Desktop HNP stopped being able to transfer programs to my PC. It can see the programs on both my TiVos, seems to be about to transfer, and then says Some Transfers Have Been Interrupted. Reason is: The Specified File Cannot Be Found.

I have checked many threads on this awesome site, and tried several things. I removed the original TiVo Desktop using the TiVo Cleaner, and re-installed it. I have restarted my PC and TiVos in various orders, and waited for a couple of days. No change. My two Series 3 TiVos can transfer to each other, and also download from my PC. I have tried connecting to my TiVos directly on the internet via TiVo login and my MAK, and these work [but download is terribly slow, and apparently violates my HNP agreement].

In the meantime, I did the same thing on my partner's Windows 8 laptop, and can still transfer files with the identical Desktop HNP. However, my TiVos cannot see the laptop, so I would have to transfer shows to the laptop, move to a disk, copy to my PC, and then transfer back to the TiVos when I want to watch. I would rather be able to use my own PC directly.

Finally, the PC running Windows 8.1 also cannot play my TiVo files any longer!

I know there was a problem with curl.conf and outdated cookies previously based on another thread, and I checked that and used their recommended curl.conf file. No effect.

I can't see anyone else having a problem with Windows 8.1 on this website, so I am hoping that maybe I just have a simple setting error?? If anyone could help, I would much appreciate it. I use Firefox, rather than IE, and maybe there are some underlying Windows privacy settings?? My Windows 8 knowledge is somewhat limited, I just use it. Otherwise, I think I might just have to access some outside help to revert to Windows 8...

soycd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by soycd17 View Post
hi all, this is my first post. Quite unintentionally, i upgraded my pc from windows 8 to windows 8.1 via windows store last week. Immediately afterward, tivo desktop hnp stopped being able to transfer programs to my pc. It can see the programs on both my tivos, seems to be about to transfer, and then says some transfers have been interrupted. Reason is: The specified file cannot be found.

I have checked many threads on this awesome site, and tried several things. I removed the original tivo desktop using the tivo cleaner, and re-installed it. I have restarted my pc and tivos in various orders, and waited for a couple of days. No change. My two series 3 tivos can transfer to each other, and also download from my pc. I have tried connecting to my tivos directly on the internet via tivo login and my mak, and these work [but download is terribly slow, and apparently violates my hnp agreement].

In the meantime, i did the same thing on my partner's windows 8 laptop, and can still transfer files with the identical desktop hnp. However, my tivos cannot see the laptop, so i would have to transfer shows to the laptop, move to a disk, copy to my pc, and then transfer back to the tivos when i want to watch. I would rather be able to use my own pc directly.

Finally, the pc running windows 8.1 also cannot play my tivo files any longer!

I know there was a problem with curl.conf and outdated cookies previously based on another thread, and i checked that and used their recommended curl.conf file. No effect.

I can't see anyone else having a problem with windows 8.1 on this website, so i am hoping that maybe i just have a simple setting error?? If anyone could help, i would much appreciate it. I use firefox, rather than ie, and maybe there are some underlying windows privacy settings?? My windows 8 knowledge is somewhat limited, i just use it. Otherwise, i think i might just have to access some outside help to revert to windows 8...
HNP?

For some reason uppercase is getting converted to lowercase in comments.

Apparently you have to throw in some extra verbiage to prevent it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
soycd17

Sorry, HNP = home network package.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

I just turned on the Bonjour service and ran Desktop to copy a file from my Roamio. It was only 2GB and took about 4 minutes. I was using the default file location. I went to that location and double clicked on the program and it started playing via WMP. This worked with 8.1 Home and now I'm running 8.1 Pro.

That said, I stopped using Desktop since it would fail to allow files over 2GB to be transferred BACK TO THE TiVo. I never figured out why, and the last time I remember it working was on my XP computer with the free version. Both versions are the same, btw. Only the new activation code changes it to allow streaming and local playback. It's an old program and I don't think TiVo will spend any time on making it work with newer faster computers. With alternatives such as pyTiVo and kmttg, why should they? Since I have three TiVo's I simply organized storage and transfer between the boxes. The speed is ok, but the PC can get almost 100Mbps from my basic Roamio. Both are wireless.

The current version does not care about cookies either. Still says 2.8.3 also.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #5
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
The current version does not care about cookies either. Still says 2.8.3 also.
The OP might still need the cookie patch (either morac's or TiVo's). All the US TiVos were patched, but I don't know if the Australian S3s were.

soycd17,

Try the cleaner and reinstall again, but this time right-click the installer and choose "Run as administrator".

ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
soycd17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
The OP might still need the cookie patch (either morac's or TiVo's). All the US TiVos were patched, but I don't know if the Australian S3s were.

soycd17,

Try the cleaner and reinstall again, but this time right-click the installer and choose "Run as administrator".
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. There is a Patch available on my TiVo Account webpage that I have downloaded and installed after the main Desktop Package. Could that be it? The file properties describe it as "TiVoToGo Patch"

Also, I did try Morac's file, and it didn't work this time.

Meanwhile, if I Run As Administrator, what do I do differently to the normal installation? I've never tried it before....

Old 07-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
ggieseke

You won't have to do anything different during the install, but there are things that later versions of Windows won't let you do (like installing services) even when you're a member of the Administrators group. The Desktop installer was mainly built for XP, so it's not very bright. Run as administrator gives it the rights it needs.

I have also seen it screw up the exceptions that it adds to Windows Firewall. I go back in afterwards and change the scope for all the TiVo rules to All instead of Public, Private, etc.

ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote