TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Putteringalong

Network set up questions

This is my first post. I don't have my TiVo Roamio Plus and 3 Minis yet, but plan to get it this weekend.

I am switching from DISH to Comcast Xfinity; I already have a Comcast connection for my ramp onto the internet.

While I have both ethernet and coax drops, I think I will try to set up a MoCA network.

I will need to add a splitter where the service comes in with one line going to my existing modem. I understand that I should put a point-of-entry filter to stop MoCA traffic from exiting my house. My question is should this filter be before the modem connection or should I use a 2-way splitter with one line going directly to the modem and the other line have the filter before splitting again to all my TiVo devices?

I've heard that all splitters are not created equally, any suggestions of features that I should look for?

Is it correct that I'll need both ethernet and coax connections to the Pro and only coax to the minis?

Thanks in advance for any insights or suggestions.

Putteringalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

If I understand your intended setup correctly, you could put the POE filter on either the input side of the primary splitter (the most common method), or on the output leg that feeds all the TVs. The latter might prevent unlikely interference between the moca and internet. This is ok as long as the Pro is creating the moca network.

Most splitters will work fine but something between 1GHz-1.5GHz is recommended.

Correct, for the Pro to create the moca network, it will need ethernet. The Minis will then work with just coax.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 07-01-2015 at 11:50 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
krkaufman

If you have the Ethernet ports available, I'd recommend getting everything working on your Ethernet network... device activation, software updates, recordings and streaming apps setup ... and then migrating to MoCA as you are able.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
fcfc2

"I will need to add a splitter where the service comes in with one line going to my existing modem. I understand that I should put a point-of-entry filter to stop MoCA traffic from exiting my house. My question is should this filter be before the modem connection or should I use a 2-way splitter with one line going directly to the modem and the other line have the filter before splitting again to all my TiVo devices?"
Hi, normally you would be instructed to put the filter on the input of the first splitter to enter your home, but in your case, assuming you have a dedicated line to your modem, you could place the filter on the output of the leg that is feeding all of your Tivo devices. You don't mention what your cable modem is, but some have builtin filters to prevent interference from your MoCA devices, by using the modified setup I mentioned this becomes a moot issue and save possibly having to buy a 2nd filter.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: