TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
twinegar

Customer No-Service

Please note: At this time, it is not possible to use email to cancel TiVo service or to update billing and credit card information. Thank you for your understanding.

What a load of crap, any company that makes it harder to terminate a service than to activate is dishonest. Requiring access to bank accounts via auto debit as the only payment option is dishonest also, all valid companies offer the manual payment option. I have used chat in the past to deactivate 2 old Pioneer Tivo's and had no trouble at all doing it. It appears that to hang on to customers including the hearing impaired like myself they have made it nearly impossible to cancel anything. I am left with placing a block on further debits in order to get someone's attention. I returned a new HD box to a seller due to being defective and now can't remove it from my devices list. Now to have the chat escalated to a supervisor required the use of a telephone so obviously the hearing impaired are being targeted directly.
I already reported Tivo to the BBB and will be reporting them to every organization for the disabled I can locate on line. I have the entire transcript of the chat discussion if anyone would care to read it.
twinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
rainwater

I don't know of any legit company that would let you cancel service or update credit card info over email. That is highly insecure. And there are plenty of valid companies that require automatic payments. To so otherwise just isn't true. That said, their support of hearing impaired should be improved if what you say is true.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
timr_42

I agree about the email. But they should have some secure chat(not sure theirs is secure).
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

At least the phone number is very easy to find, I used it just this week. These days many companies hide them.

I don't understand from your response how you were treated any differently than someone without such impairment. Are you saying that they should be able to use an online tool to cancel, or are they unable to handle your call due to some failure on their behalf?

To be clear, I don't know anything about how such things work, I'm just trying to better understand the issue at hand.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
JosephB

Are you unable to use a relay service? Expecting them to make it as easy as possible to cancel is wishful thinking, of course they want to have the opportunity to try to convince you otherwise. However, in my days of being a TiVo customer on and off, as I've called in to cancel they ask but aren't forceful, and it's not an issue to get your service terminated.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinegar View Post
Please note: At this time, it is not possible to use email to cancel TiVo service or to update billing and credit card information. Thank you for your understanding.

What a load of crap, any company that makes it harder to terminate a service than to activate is dishonest. Requiring access to bank accounts via auto debit as the only payment option is dishonest also, all valid companies offer the manual payment option. I have used chat in the past to deactivate 2 old Pioneer Tivo's and had no trouble at all doing it. It appears that to hang on to customers including the hearing impaired like myself they have made it nearly impossible to cancel anything. I am left with placing a block on further debits in order to get someone's attention. I returned a new HD box to a seller due to being defective and now can't remove it from my devices list. Now to have the chat escalated to a supervisor required the use of a telephone so obviously the hearing impaired are being targeted directly.
I already reported Tivo to the BBB and will be reporting them to every organization for the disabled I can locate on line. I have the entire transcript of the chat discussion if anyone would care to read it.
I am sure this may be the first time TiVo has encounter this type of problem, but your statement Requiring access to bank accounts via auto debit as the only payment option is dishonest itself is not true if you have a credit card, if you do not have any credit cards than how is TiVo to be paid without auto debt as TiVo not going to start a department to send out monthly bills (and collect checks) like your electric co. does.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Grakthis

I'm not sure how other companies handle the hearing impaired question. You raise a good point. I actually know quite a few services that require a phone call to cancel something... my cable does, my internet and phone do, my power company does, my water company does, I have several magazine subs that do...

I had never considered that issue before. How do the hearing impaired handle all of those situations?
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
I'm not sure how other companies handle the hearing impaired question. You raise a good point. I actually know quite a few services that require a phone call to cancel something... my cable does, my internet and phone do, my power company does, my water company does, I have several magazine subs that do...

I had never considered that issue before. How do the hearing impaired handle all of those situations?
http://relayservices.att.com/

You can call into a relay service, where an operator has a TTY device to speak with the hearing impaired caller and then can speak/hear what the other party to the call is saying. It's funded by FCC taxes. Not a problem, and not fair to expect smaller companies like TiVo to have dedicated TTY operators when this service exists.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
http://relayservices.att.com/

You can call into a relay service, where an operator has a TTY device to speak with the hearing impaired caller and then can speak/hear what the other party to the call is saying. It's funded by FCC taxes. Not a problem, and not fair to expect smaller companies like TiVo to have dedicated TTY operators when this service exists.
Yep and some States have there own:
http://www.nyrelay.com/tty.html

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
caddyroger

Using hard may not work for you to us it as being disable. I am about 45% deaf and can use a reg phone just fine but cellphones is another matter. I do not want to use email to disconnect or start service up.
Like every on said most companies will not allow services using email. I would distrust any company that uses email. You do not now how secure they are..
Old 01-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
twinegar

Thanks for responding.
My first Tivo boxes were Pioneer units and at that time Tivo had no chat or email contact available so I had to snag one of my kids to make the call to cancel them. Oddly they are still on my deactivated list. Later one of my Tivo boxes stopped working and the other belonging to one of my kids wasn't being used and live chat did deactivate both of those for me so why not expect the same treatment this time. Other companies have allowed me to do private business by asking specific questions and then having me change the information after we have finished dealing with a specific event. People younger than I are just used to unfriendly business practices because you have never experienced companies that do make it as easy to quit as to sign on to. There is no logical reason not to do this so it's profit oriented to make it harder. I have been unable to use a phone for many years and I can tell you it's a pain in the butt. All of my utility companies and in fact every other company I have used with the exception of ATT web services and Tivo have the option of paperless billing and manual payment available. Most offer automated payments but I would never trust any company with access to my bank account with the exception of Tivo because if they have a screw-up and over debit my account it shouldn't amount to a large debit. I own zero credit cards by choice and will never be put in a position of having even one. My Visa debit card provides all I need nation wide to deal with any possibility. I guess being a loner like myself limits the options where people helpers are concerned but loner I am and loner I will stay. As for devices for the hearing impaired, hearing aids are a non-starter and other devices that I would need to pay for to access specialized communication would be a waste of money because of how very rare it is for me to need to use one.
Before responding imagine yourself with severe hearing loss and having worn out all of your people callers............what would you do?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

I do hate services that require a phone call to cancel especially if they allow you to enroll on-line. I understand they want to make it difficult to cancel but it sucks.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i understand why twinegar would appreciate greater and more convenient options for self service from tivo. relay is better than nothing, but if you've ever used the service, you know it just isn't the same as doing it yourself.

that said, i can see both sides to the disconnect issue - customers want a convenient way to maintain their accounts, and the business wants one last chance to "make things right" (if they can) to try and save a customer - what business owner wouldn't? my biggest problem is when a company keeps insisting you stay, over and over, when all you want is to leave (remember aol?).

i've never had an issue being forced to call in to cancel. the way i look at it, no matter how good self-service can be, it doesn't always fit ever scenario, and i usually end up calling anyway, to sign up or to leave.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
twinegar

Again, thanks for responding.
I now have my 6 year old granddaughter to raise "ALL BY MYSELF" so things become dicier.........who will hear the smoke alarm or a break-in in progress? What if there is an emergency requiring immediate medical services? I now am forced to become creative and if need be shame my children into being a lifeline. Good kids but I raised them to be independent and now they see their father getting older and more dependent on others. I will have to snare the one coming here to make a couple of appointments into making the Tivo call and then just keep writing letters to them for a secure chat page for account changes. I only really need Tivo to download movies and TV to my computer for screen capturing, not piracy. I have what is probably the most concise celebrity and character actor site covering the years from 1950 to 1965, the "Keep Watching the Skies" period and genre. It used to by on my Spooky's Nightmare Mansion site until ATT auto-debited three months on the same day and then required a phone call to rectify.

What I wouldn't give to be 30 again with just a slight ringing in my ears.............change that to 20.......oh what the hell, make it 8 so I can relive my Leave It To Beaver childhood again.

Last edited by twinegar : 01-31-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:

When you say a new HD box, do you mean a TCD652160?

Has it been sitting in the box, never subscribed, for the last 6-8 years?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Ya, the main reason they require you to call in so they have a opportunity to try and get you to reconsider, but part of the reason is because years ago a lot of scummy people were harassing others by canceling other peoples home utility services. It was the same time that scummy people were putting liens on properties to harass. ( that is now illegal )
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
twinegar

Yes unitron it's that model. By new I meant new to me, advertised as having been opened and during installation the owner decided they wanted to go with something else. After about 2 hours of installation and downloading all of the service and updates and channel list I started using it. Before pairing with the cable card all the basic cable channels worked and after only a few and none of the HD. When the Tivo detected no signal it was nearly impossible to change away from that channel and only was able to when I placed the remote a couple of inches away from the receiver. I have had problems with a weak cable signal for years, I'm at the end of a circuit and getting what's left after everyone else or so I was told by a service tech that came to test it. The remote thing appears to be a defect in the unit so I returned it and that is where the topic of this posting began.

replaytv, I have encountered revenge on eBay but wasn't aware that people were doing what you mention. Generally speaking, people suck or at least that is what I think.....but then I prefer to spend time with myself and have no friends and probably a bit cynical too!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Yes unitron it's that model. By new I meant new to me, advertised as having been opened and during installation the owner decided they wanted to go with something else. After about 2 hours of installation and downloading all of the service and updates and channel list I started using it. Before pairing with the cable card all the basic cable channels worked and after only a few and none of the HD. When the Tivo detected no signal it was nearly impossible to change away from that channel and only was able to when I placed the remote a couple of inches away from the receiver. I have had problems with a weak cable signal for years, I'm at the end of a circuit and getting what's left after everyone else or so I was told by a service tech that came to test it. The remote thing appears to be a defect in the unit so I returned it and that is where the topic of this posting began.

replaytv, I have encountered revenge on eBay but wasn't aware that people were doing what you mention. Generally speaking, people suck or at least that is what I think.....but then I prefer to spend time with myself and have no friends and probably a bit cynical too!

Stupid question time.

Did you put fresh batteries in the remote?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #19
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
...... When the Tivo detected no signal it was nearly impossible to change away from that channel and only was able to when I placed the remote a couple of inches away from the receiver. .......... The remote thing appears to be a defect in the unit so I returned it...........
During initial turn on, or if my TV sits for 10 or 20 seconds with a blank (totally black) screen, the same thing happens. Sometimes it's easier to just turn off the TV then punch a button on the remote to get away from the blank channel. This happens because the TV under those conditions is putting out massive amounts of IR that swamp the remote control's IR. It occurs for some LCD TV's that have fluorescent back-lighting, in my case a 4.7 year old Samsung.

Bottom line, this happening doesn't prove the remote is defective.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
That kind of thing happened many years ago. And as mentioned, most companies have made it difficult to do the kind of harassment I was talking about.

I haven't heard it happen lately, other than eBay shysters. I have had such problems with eBay buyers I hate to even list stuff. Although I still buy regularly.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote