TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Susiemw

Advice for upgrading from series 2

I have a few series 2, two connected, one collecting dust. none have lifetime warranties.

One of the series 2 (an 80 hour, I believe) that is hooked up is really lagging when scrolling through the program guide.
It is getting slower and slower.
So, time to plan ahead.

I could just switch out the "spare" series 2 (or... LOL, the old original TiVo)and use it but TiVo has come out with so many different options I thought I"d ask for advice here as well as read through the forums.

I'm using my TiVo with Dish Network.
I would like to be able to stream amazon prime videos but that's not a must have. I would like to not break the bank as well

Is there a TiVo for "dummies" page that list all the different options
that are available now? I'm scrolling through the forum now looking for tips.
any advice is much appreciated.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The S2 is the last unit that worked with Dish Network so you don't really have any options.

The S3 and newer units are all designed for cable or OTA only. If you want to stick with Dish you might want to consider just getting one of their Hopper DVRs.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Switch to cable and get a Roamio. As a new cable customer, you will probably get a really great price....for the first 12 months. And be sure to tell Dish that their lack of support for TiVo is the reason you are leaving them for cable.

If you want to stream Amazon Prime, get a Roku.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Move all your saved recorded shows to your computer and do a 'clear and delete' on your Tivo. I have found that speeds it up quite a bit, but still not as fast as a new TiVo. If you still have standard definition TVs you could buy Series 2 TiVos with lifetime for $40 or so. I don't know if they will control your satellite box with IR cables though.

Dump satellite and get a Roamio as people here are saying it has the best antenna tuner and just get your TV fix for free from a antenna.
But beware, the newer TiVos don't allow you to record antenna TV at anything but HD quality, so your hard drive will fill up faster.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Susiemw

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it's a good thing I have a spare series 2 or I should look for one online with a lifetime sub.

Susan
Old 02-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
ninjagator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Switch to cable and get a Roamio. As a new cable customer, you will probably get a really great price....for the first 12 months. And be sure to tell Dish that their lack of support for TiVo is the reason you are leaving them for cable.

If you want to stream Amazon Prime, get a Roku.
That's what I told directv
ninjagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Susiemw

switching to cable would be an option but I like having Dish because I have a spare dish that I can travel with and take camping with me and take it to the cottage and have TV without another bill.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiemw View Post
switching to cable would be an option but I like having Dish because I have a spare dish that I can travel with and take camping with me and take it to the cottage and have TV without another bill.
Satellite TV on a camping trip eh? I'm guessing you're not really a "roughing it" type of camper. I would think an OTA antenna or a portable blu-ray player would be good enough on a camping trip.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-02-2014 at 08:15 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
godsey1

We got rid of Dish this past week, and are loving the cable with the Roamio. We got the silver package from Charter, 30 mbs (it gets from 32-39) internet and the home phone for $105 per month, this package with Dish, not including the HBO, Cinemax and Showtime was around 200 with the DVR and Joey fee's.

The Roamio and Mini are just as good, if not better than the Hopper and Joey setup. Good luck,

Tony
godsey1 is offline   Reply With Quote