TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
the_Skywise

Looking to switch to Comcast with a Roamio

My HR10-250 is on its last legs (tuners are dying). I've got an old DirecTV dish (dual LNB) so upgrading to the THR22 means not only buying the THR22 (and which I'll get charged as a "lease") but also upgrading the dish which may or may not be free (I suspect calling DirecTV to upgrade the dish for free will force me onto one of their Genie boxes before I can "downgrade" to a THR22).

I live in an apartment which gets Comcast and am looking to switch to them with a Roamio.

Can I buy the Roamio from a local Best Buy (or weaknees) and then just do a self-install once they activate the service or will they have to have someone comeout and install a default box and THEN I can switch out to my Roamio?
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Time_Slip

I switched from Directv to Comcast. I already had an internet connection from them. Went to Comcast and picked up a self install kit and a cable card(pink Motorola...has to be a M-Cable Card). Split the line inside and called up Comcast to activate the card. No problems. You might have to have Comcast come out to turn on your line or maybe they can do that from the office.
Time_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
rainwater

It may require a truck roll in an apartment as they may have a trap on the line preventing video service.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Nevermind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg its a trap.jpg (47.2 KB, 26 views)
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
the_Skywise

Thanks guys - I'm figuring there will have to be some sort of truck roll to remove the trap. My main concern was that they were going to try to force me onto one of their cable boxes first (to make sure the "trap" was working properly)
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote