TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #61
pshivers
Retired!

Did the Guided Setup on both my Roamio's and all is well now, just had to ask for a secondary channel to chose what station it was as the first one displayed was giving no indication what station was doing the broadcast.

I did a "GS" on my three Mini's also, but it appears it was not necessary as the 3rd mini was receiving the appropriate channels before I ran the GS again... Figured it couldn't hurt to run it anyway, much shorter process than the Roamio GS.

We had a couple of channels change numbers that we have several Season Passes setup and the Season Pass has been updated automatically with the appropriate new channel numbers.

My wife went to the local Shopping Mall this morning where our local Charter Office is located and she said there was a customer line going out the door! Apparently many Charter Customers did not bother reading their mail from the past couple of months about the change to All Digital today! -lol-

Internet Speeds are unchanged at this point, (Not that I'm complaining...):
35.43 Mbps Download
04.21 Mbps Upload
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 03-25-2014 at 04:40 PM.
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #62
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Internet Speeds are unchanged at this point, (Not that I'm complaining...):
35.43 Mbps Download
04.21 Mbps Upload
Have you power cycled your modem?
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #63
Dan203
Super Moderator

I talked to Charter a few days ago, they said they weren't bumping us to 60Mbps until the end of the year even though we had the digital change in November. They also said that they require you to use their equipment to get the 60Mbps speed. But that it's now provided free of charge rather then $7/mo.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #64
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I talked to Charter a few days ago, they said they weren't bumping us to 60Mbps until the end of the year even though we had the digital change in November. They also said that they require you to use their equipment to get the 60Mbps speed. But that it's now provided free of charge rather then $7/mo.
Oh, the modem is provided "free of change". How nice of them. Of course the cost is really just rolled into the base price rather than being broken out as a line item fee, which means that people who want to use their own equipment won't be able to save money by doing so.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-25-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #65
Dan203
Super Moderator

Actually they told me that if I continued to use my own modem not only would I not get the 60Mbps upgrade but it would actually cost me $7/mo more then using theirs. I tried to argue, but she wouldn't budge. The whole reason I bought my own modem was to save $7/mo so what else could I do but accept theirs?
Old 03-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #66
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Actually they told me that if I continued to use my own modem not only would I not get the 60Mbps upgrade but it would actually cost me $7/mo more then using theirs. I tried to argue, but she wouldn't budge. The whole reason I bought my own modem was to save $7/mo so what else could I do but accept theirs?
Exactly, what else can you do when there is a lack of regulation and competition. I'd still complain to the FCC anyway if it were me.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #67
Dan203
Super Moderator

I just fired off a complaint to the FCC. I doubt anything will come of it, but we'll see.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #68
jrsobx
Registered Abuser

They went all digital here on the Outer Banks of NC. The problem is that we have a LOT of houses that are beach/vacation rentals with 8+ bedrooms. Some of these houses have 12+ televisions. Now those owners have to pay for a charter box on every television. This adds up, especially since the houses sit empty for 8 months.
jrsobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #69
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's a situation where a couple of TiVo Roamios and a bunch of Minis might pay for themselves. Or a few HDHomeRun PRIMEs and some cheap DLNA receivers.

Would be nice if there was a simple digital TV gateway device that had 6 tuners and use a single cable card to feed live TV to 6 TVs via your home network through some sort of super cheap, Chromecast like, receiver at each TV.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #70
jrsobx
Registered Abuser

That is one of the main reasons why I'm looking for a mini...and a roamio plus!

Now if only I could hit 15 posts so I can post in the buyers/sellers forum!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #71
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsobx View Post
Now if only I could hit 15 posts so I can post in the buyers/sellers forum!
Done.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #72
jrsobx
Registered Abuser

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:25 AM   #73
HarperVision

Quote:
That's a situation where a couple of TiVo Roamios and a bunch of Minis might pay for themselves. Or a few HDHomeRun PRIMEs and some cheap DLNA receivers. Would be nice if there was a simple digital TV gateway device that had 6 tuners and use a single cable card to feed live TV to 6 TVs via your home network through some sort of super cheap, Chromecast like, receiver at each TV.
There's the HDHR Prime like you mentioned, and you could use HDHRFling with a Roku. (If you're not on TWC who copy protects everything except major networks).
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #74
Dan203
Super Moderator

So the HDHomeRun Prime only works on non copy protected channels? That sucks? TiVo allows in home streaming of copy protected channels why can't they? Or is that only because the Roku requires the transcode?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #75
UCLABB

Quote:
Same exact situation here in Riverside, CA with Charter. I had a fit when they started charging me when their crappy modem went on the fritz and they activated the modem in VOIP box. So I bought my own. Then I dropped the phone for a while. When I resumed the phone service, the tech wanted me to switch back to the combined phone/modem but I said no.

Now it looks like I have to go to their modem to save me $7 and get higher speeds?????
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #76
Dan203
Super Moderator

The higher speeds were a promised future upgrade for me. All she could say is that most markets will be 60Mbps by the end of the year. She didn't know when my market would make the upgrade.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #77
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Same exact situation here in Riverside, CA with Charter. I had a fit when they started charging me when their crappy modem went on the fritz and they activated the modem in VOIP box. So I bought my own. Then I dropped the phone for a while. When I resumed the phone service, the tech wanted me to switch back to the combined phone/modem but I said no.

Now it looks like I have to go to their modem to save me $7 and get higher speeds?????
File a formal complaint with the FCC. There is absolutely no good reason why Charter internet customers should be unable to purchase and use their own cable modem. If enough people complain, maybe the FCC will finally do something about it.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #78
HarperVision

Quote:
So the HDHomeRun Prime only works on non copy protected channels? That sucks? TiVo allows in home streaming of copy protected channels why can't they? Or is that only because the Roku requires the transcode?
No, it works with copy protected channels when used with WMC and WMC extenders like the xbox 360 and Ceton echo. When you use it with Roku it has to be transcoded with your PC and the HDHRFling app, which doesn't have DRM rights.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #79
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
File a formal complaint with the FCC. There is absolutely no good reason why Charter internet customers should be unable to purchase and use their own cable modem. If enough people complain, maybe the FCC will finally do something about it.
They won't do anything about it. Because they provide their modems for free, the FCC will never require them to allow user provided modems. Honestly, the one's they do provide are fine. They are standard docsis 3.0 modems usually.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #80
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
They won't do anything about it. Because they provide their modems for free, the FCC will never require them to allow user provided modems. Honestly, the one's they do provide are fine. They are standard docsis 3.0 modems usually.
That's a very defeatist attitude. I agree it is unlikely the FCC is going to do anything, but it never hurts to try. The real issue here is that if ISPs can force you to use their own internet equipment, then they can potentially use your internet connection to provide WiFi to other customers without your knowledge or consent.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #81
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
That's a very defeatist attitude. I agree it is unlikely the FCC is going to do anything, but it never hurts to try. The real issue here is that if ISPs can force you to use their own internet equipment, then they can potentially use your internet connection to provide WiFi to other customers without your knowledge or consent.
Charter doesn't distribute cable modems with wireless builtin any longer. I believe this change occurred when they switched to no longer supporting customer provided modems.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #82
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah according to the lady I talked to this is all an effort to simplify and standardize for support purposes. As long as it remains free I don't really care. The only reason I argued about it is a) I have to take time to set up up the new modem and b) I worry that some day down the road they're going to change their mind and start charging me for the modem and I wont notice.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #83
JosephB

I'm having a weird lineup thing going on here with Charter. My Xbox One's OneGuide has picked up all the new "Spectrum" channels that all-digital areas are getting, but here in Birmingham we're not all digital yet. Zap2It and my TiVos still have the old lineup. I think Charter is publishing these lineups in such a way that they're hidden, yet still published.

Quote:
I just fired off a complaint to the FCC. I doubt anything will come of it, but we'll see.
Retail device rules do not apply to internet services. The FCC doesn't have the same authority to regulate the internet side as they do the video side. Several cable companies require you to use their modem. Charter changed last year (or maybe 2012) and they no longer allow customer owned modems. Grandfathered devices can stick around, but if you want to move to the current pricing tiers you have to take their modem. FWIW, they got rid of the rental fee and in my market the price didn't go up. So, when I got their modem my price stayed exactly the same.

Quote:
HDHR requires a DTCP copy protection capable device for CCI-flagged channels.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #84
Dan203
Super Moderator

Silicon Dust should create a cheap DTCP receiver device that people can use to access the HDHomeRun tuners. Something with a little better UI then the generic DLNA interface. My Sister currently has 3 cable boxes in her house. After the first year they're going to start costing $7/mo ea. If there was an easy way for her to access the HDHomeRun from those TVs instead it would pay for itself in about a year. I'm sure others would consider a similar setup if it were available.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #85
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Someone from Charter actually replied to this complaint. There explanation was basically the same thing she told me on the phone.... They're not charging more for user owned equipment they just require you to use their equipment to qualify for their new plans which happen to be cheaper. It all sounds like double speak to get around the law to me. But whatever I got the new modem from them a few days ago. I just need to hook it up and call them to get it activated.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #86
JosephB

Quote:
Someone from Charter actually replied to this complaint. There explanation was basically the same thing she told me on the phone.... They're not charging more for user owned equipment they just require you to use their equipment to qualify for their new plans which happen to be cheaper. It all sounds like double speak to get around the law to me. But whatever I got the new modem from them a few days ago. I just need to hook it up and call them to get it activated.
The retail equipment regulations do not apply to internet service.

And in terms of FCC complaints, they are legally required to respond to them.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #87
UCLABB

I've only been casually following this thread, but today I got the notice from Charter. The notice says the switch will be made "By" May 20. Only a couple of weeks away so it could happen at any time.

Can someone summarize what will happen? Will I be watching TV and suddenly everything is screwed up or, presuming they do the change in the dead of night, will I wake up to everything screwed up? Is there no chance that the the TiVo will take care of itself? Or presuming it won't, do I just start doing a gs on my Tivos? What if TiVo hasn't updated the guide info? What do I do then?

(Side note on a positive: finally getting Sundance and BBCA in HD!)
Old 05-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #88
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I've only been casually following this thread, but today I got the notice from Charter. The notice says the switch will be made "By" May 20. Only a couple of weeks away so it could happen at any time.

Can someone summarize what will happen? Will I be watching TV and suddenly everything is screwed up or, presuming they do the change in the dead of night, will I wake up to everything screwed up? Is there no chance that the the TiVo will take care of itself? Or presuming it won't, do I just start doing a gs on my Tivos? What if TiVo hasn't updated the guide info? What do I do then?

(Side note on a positive: finally getting Sundance and BBCA in HD!)
If you have a cablecard TiVo, the only thing you will have to do is run guided setup and select the new lineup (you may have to do the advanced lineup selection). Because the rollouts happen at different times in the same market, a new lineup is created. Your cablecards and tuning adapters will get updated automatically right when the switch occurs.

Luckily for me, most of the channels weren't moved but the major changes were channel additions (about 200). So my season passes worked just fine until I ran guided setup. You may want to create a spreadsheet with all of the channels so you will know which ones to check/uncheck.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #89
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
If you have a cablecard TiVo, the only thing you will have to do is run guided setup and select the new lineup (you may have to do the advanced lineup selection). Because the rollouts happen at different times in the same market, a new lineup is created. Your cablecards and tuning adapters will get updated automatically right when the switch occurs.

Luckily for me, most of the channels weren't moved but the major changes were channel additions (about 200). So my season passes worked just fine until I ran guided setup. You may want to create a spreadsheet with all of the channels so you will know which ones to check/uncheck.
Thanks. So, if I have this right, everything will be fine as far as recording my season passes after the switch. I'll only have to run the guided setup in order to have a manageable guide, i.e., eliminate channels I don't get or don't ever want to watch. Also, I presume I may have to move some season passes to any new HD channels?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #90
pshivers
Retired!

You will need to run guided setup in order for you season pass to work correctly otherwise it will not know the correct channels to record if they have moved...
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote