TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
javabird

I hate those pop-up banners!

There seems to be a trend in those ugly, distracting pop-up banners that flash across the bottom of the show. I hate them! In my opinion, they ruin the whole viewing experience. What's the point of sitting down to enjoy your favorite show in front of an expensive wide-screen TV, if the show is ruined by intrusive banners?

The other day I sat down to watch "Troy" and every so often these ugly banners with little valentine hearts, etc, would march across the screen. I wanted to watch an episode of Star Trek, and an obnoxious banner with Ashton Kutcher pops up in front of Mr. Spock! How annoying!

Why, why do the stations think people want to have their shows ruined by this rubbish?
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
JimSpence
Just hangin'

They don't care about the viewer, just ad revenue.

Complain to the station and advertisers of the shows.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I had been wathing Heroes during the Friday SciFi repeats but they've discontinued those. So tonight's episode was from the local NBC affiliate. Midway through it they shrink the picture vertically to run a banner at the top with tomorrow's school delays. ugh...
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
TheSlyBear
Opinionated Walrus

They're incredibly annoying. The worst ones have sound that makes it so you can't even hear the program.
TheSlyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
JimSpence
Just hangin'

You'd think that the local could squeeze the picture during a commercial for public announcements. But NOOOOO, then the advertisers would complain.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
javabird

Most of the ones I've noticed are station teasers for upcoming shows.

I find these much more intrusive than commercials.

It's making getting shows exclusively from iTunes and Netflix look more and more attractive all the time.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

We were watching something the other night* which had subtitles and the station popped up one of those banners and covered up the subtitles so we couldn't even tell what they were saying. Very annoying!

Dan

* I can't remember exactly what it was but I believe it was The Sureal Life on VH1 and the advertisement was for one of thier other shows.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
gambit3131
Fargety Foogle

I liked the banners for a while. Then one day on TBS, they had the pop up for Rescue me, there was a siren, fire sounds, water etc. All while I was trying to watch a show. I couldn't believe they were that intrusive to a show.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
mattack

These have been going on for years... you people who weren't annoyed by the 'bugs' have now gotten what you asked for by not complaining about the bugs enough.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
greystreet629
TiVo Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit3131
I liked the banners for a while. Then one day on TBS, they had the pop up for Rescue me, there was a siren, fire sounds, water etc. All while I was trying to watch a show. I couldn't believe they were that intrusive to a show.

I know exactly what you're talking about. That was really annoying!

-Anthony
greystreet629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 PM   #11
CraigHB

It's getting to the point now where I don't record shows on certain channels because they use such obnoxious banners. FX comes to mind. I wanted to watch an old episode of Star Trek and the station was playing it in a window with junk around all 4 borders. I believe that was G4. What are these people thinking?

Charter Digital Cable
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 AM   #12
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
These have been going on for years... you people who weren't annoyed by the 'bugs' have now gotten what you asked for by not complaining about the bugs enough.
Actually the station bugs don't bother me so much (the station's logo)...because they usually sit there in the corner sort of unobtrusively and they're usually semi-transparent so they don't block the show.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #13
TydalForce

the station logo in the lower corner, especially if it's the transparent kind, doesn't bother me.

But i'm in total agreement with the extra-large take one third of the screen animations. Especially when they have sound!

It doesn't make me want to watch the show they're pushing, it makes me want to change the channel!
TydalForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
sdzc

The ones for the Closer are obnoxious and take up almost 1/4 of the screen.

I hate them as well. Makes me not want to watch the show.

Nick had a countdown for a show that was huge over the weekend that stayed for hours. What a joke..
sdzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdzc
I hate them as well. Makes me not want to watch the show.
But they remain nonetheless. They know that some people are really turned off by these things, but their marketing people must have computed that the money they make with these obnoxious things is greater than the cost related to people driven away.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
gambit3131
Fargety Foogle

It's their way of advertising so we can't FF through them.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
daperlman
check the rhime

there is one with sound - where a person assembles then drives a race car across the bottom of the screen. So annoying it is like a parody of itself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daperlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
crunch3k

Those ads are called "Lower 3rd MPKs" (Moving Promo Keys). TV Marketing Dept's LOVE these puppies...great, free advertising time.

Actually having created a few of these in my day, I learned my lesson last year TRYING to watch a couple of episodes of Smallville with some really dramatic moments and then pops up their multi-colored 'Splash' MPK that totally ruined the moment. And now the new CW with their BRIGHT GREEN graphics are getting on my last nerve as well...and NBC's on notice!

Honestly, the only way to get these things 'subdued' is to complain to the Station/Network. Honestly, we really do listen if enough consumers start complaining. So, get some petitions going!!!
crunch3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #19
Stu_Bee

The weird ones are those that advertise the show you are currently watching.....such as "You are watching an All New episode of Smallville". Dude, you don't have to sell me on a show that I'm watching.
Stu_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch3k
Those ads are called "Lower 3rd MPKs" (Moving Promo Keys). TV Marketing Dept's LOVE these puppies...great, free advertising time.

Actually having created a few of these in my day, I learned my lesson last year TRYING to watch a couple of episodes of Smallville with some really dramatic moments and then pops up their multi-colored 'Splash' MPK that totally ruined the moment. And now the new CW with their BRIGHT GREEN graphics are getting on my last nerve as well...and NBC's on notice!

Honestly, the only way to get these things 'subdued' is to complain to the Station/Network. Honestly, we really do listen if enough consumers start complaining. So, get some petitions going!!!

Thanks for sharing that information.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch3k
So now we know the proper term to use along with our favorite swear words when we see them.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #22
Cruzin Chris

There was one on Battlestar Galactica that covered the opening act title that let the viewer know what planet they were in orbit of.

Spike TV plays 4 Star Trek shows a day and in each episode they run some pop-up crap over the title of that particular episode.

I refuse to pay attention to these stupid pop-ups now.
Cruzin Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #23
Tburt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
I have been annoyed by them then also. They are just getting to the point of ridiculous.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #24
javabird

Heh, revisiting this thread because I'm still so annoyed by these. My local PBS Station has started using them too (why is a PBS station running ads anyway?)