TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
atomarchio

Does Tivo/vendor offer a wall-plate MoCA solution?

I am interested in using MoCA with my Tivo Premiere and I see a product listed on their website.

Does Tivo or another vendor offer a MoCA product where I could remove the existing Coax wall plate and replace with a MoCA product.

I would prefer this over trying to mount/secure the box somehow.

Please advise. Thanks.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
atmuscarella

Not aware of any MoCa adapters designed to be installed in a wall plate. However some FIOS routers have MoCa built in and some Premiere and Roamio models also have it built in. My guess is if you don't want a separate free standing MoCa adapter the only solution will be to buy a TiVo or router with it built in.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
atomarchio

I keep my existing my Tivo I will have the adapter dangling off the wall plate which is not going to look great.

I guess I could figure out a way to mount the device but then it's almost having an installer try to run Cat5 because the wall plate would look better.

I have a quote of $250 to run Cat5. How much does the Moca device cost? Any ideas on how I can mount?
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
tatergator1

A basic Actiontec adapter is $50 from Tivo, plus shipping, so probably ~$60. Amazon is currently selling the single adapter for $64-$67, depending on which seller you choose, free shipping.

One thing to also keep in mind is that the MoCA adapter is powered, so you'll have Coax in/out, Ethernet, and a DC power cord to AC adapter brick. If you're Tivo's in some sort of cabinet, you could run the coax a little long, such that the MoCA adapter was hiding inside the cabinet, behind the Tivo. This would keep the MoCA adapter, the coax out to the Tivo, and the Ethernet between the adapter and Tivo out of sight. All you'd have was the Coax from the wall into the cabinet, which you already have, and a small power cable running to your power strip.

If you describe your current setup, other's might be able to chime in on other ways of making the MoCA adapter is inconspicuous as possible.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
A basic Actiontec adapter is $50 from Tivo, plus shipping, so probably ~$60. Amazon is currently selling the single adapter for $64-$67, depending on which seller you choose, free shipping.

One thing to also keep in mind is that the MoCA adapter is powered, so you'll have Coax in/out, Ethernet, and a DC power cord to AC adapter brick. If you're Tivo's in some sort of cabinet, you could run the coax a little long, such that the MoCA adapter was hiding inside the cabinet, behind the Tivo. This would keep the MoCA adapter, the coax out to the Tivo, and the Ethernet between the adapter and Tivo out of sight. All you'd have was the Coax from the wall into the cabinet, which you already have, and a small power cable running to your power strip.

If you describe your current setup, other's might be able to chime in on other ways of making the MoCA adapter is inconspicuous as possible.
I bought a pair the actiontec adapters a couple weeks ago from Tivo for $89 and received free shipping, even with UPS ground shipping, I received them in two days.

You should be able to use velcro tape to mount the adapter to the back of your TV, they aren't heavy and the biggest stress would be the coax cable hanging off it. Another thing to consider too is that you will need a good quality splitter (1ghz or higher) to split the coax from the wall, with one line going to the Moca adapter and the other to your Premiere.

Now which Premiere do you have? I believe the 4 tuner models have Moca networking capability already, The 2 tuners do not.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Bigg

YUCK! That sounds like a horrible solution to bake MoCA into a wall plate. Things should be as modular as possible, with as little behind the wall as possible, so that it's easier to upgrade down the line. Granted, a wall plate wouldn't be the end of the world to rip out, but it's still a lot harder than just the little adapter...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
pmiranda

The inline adapter gives you the best signal quality. If you really want a slick installation you could replace the coax wall plate with a modular Leviton plate and put in coax cat5 and a dc power insert, then hide the adaptor in the box, assuming it fits. You'd still have to have a wall wart somewhere to provide power since the coax and Ethernet cables probably aren't rated to be in the same box as AC power.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
The inline adapter gives you the best signal quality. If you really want a slick installation you could replace the coax wall plate with a modular Leviton plate and put in coax cat5 and a dc power insert, then hide the adaptor in the box, assuming it fits. You'd still have to have a wall wart somewhere to provide power since the coax and Ethernet cables probably aren't rated to be in the same box as AC power.
Then a few years down the road when something better comes along, you have to replace your wall plates. Putting electronics in wall plates is a terrible idea, no matter how slick it will look.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote