TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Red Pimpernel
Lurking Member

Smile Stream to Mac Computer

Since all previous versions of this question are more than 2 years old, I'm hoping that there has been some technology improvement on the simple answer of "no".

Can I use the TiVo Stream to stream content (not transfer) to my MacBook Pro laptop? I just want to watch some shows while I'm working. Will I have to use my iPad? It seems crazy that I can stream to my iPad but not to my laptop.

My Hardware:
Tivo Premiere XL4
TiVo Stream
MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6.8)
Red Pimpernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Nope. As of right now the Stream only works with iOS devices. There was a survey a couple months back that suggested they might be considering supporting it on other devices, but nothing yet.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
warrensomebody

I also want to stream to my mac, and found some old web pages stating that both VLC and mplayer had tivo support. But downloading the latest versions of each of them and trying it I've had no luck. I almost got things to work with VLC, but the picture was improperly decoded (just faint outlines of the original content, or flashing blocks of color). Here's what I did:

1. I discovered that if you visit your tivo's ip addr in a web browser using https you get a list of its content along with links to download the .tivo files (yeah!):

https://192.168.0.12/nowplaying/index.html

2. Right click on the content links and Copy Link. Then open VLC and select File > Open Network... and paste in the link.

3. You're prompted for your username and pwd. Use 'tivo' for the username and your media access key for the pwd.

4. See something playing... but it ain't pretty.

I figured this out by trial an error. The old pages on mplayer and VLC integration both mention installing vserver on your tivo, but I don't think you can do this anymore. I was hoping that the built-in streaming would suffice. Seems like its just a matter of informing VLC of the correct format to decode, but I'm not sure how to specify that. Maybe someone can offer some suggestions.
warrensomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

.tivo files are encrypted. Unless you can figure out how to install tivodecode into VLC to decrypt the stream in realtime it's not going to work.

Dan
Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I use a Slingbox to stream my TiVo to my Mac, Windows 7, iPhone and Roku box. And it works from outside the home as well.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
CujoCujo

iTiVo and VLC still work, I use it all the time.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=420619
CujoCujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

iTiVo is a good suggestion for Mac. Here's a batch script for Windows I've used in the past. I've also used a similar shell script under Ubuntu with the same programs and I'm reasonably sure you could do the same on the Mac, altough iTiVo would probably be easier.
Code:
@echo off
REM streamtivo.cmd

REM INPUT: Url of a .tivo file, wrapped in "double-quotes", optionally followed by an output file name.
REM When output file is absent, no permanent storage is used, decoded video is sent to vlc directly, and video is unseekable.
REM When output file is present, sometimes VLC won't automatically start playback after opening.
REM Just try to play again after a moment and things should work.  
REM REQUIRES CURL, TIVODECODE and VLC.  Google for executable binaries for your platform.

REM SETUP
REM Be sure to set mak, and utility file locations before execution
SET mak=0123456789
SET curlcmd="c:\utils\curl.exe"
SET tivodecodecmd="c:\utils\tivodecode.exe"
SET vlccmd="c:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"
REM END SETUP
REM DO NOT MODIFY BELOW UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING

SET outfile=%2
IF "%2"=="" SET outfile=-
%curlcmd% --digest -k -u tivo:%mak% -c cookies.txt %1 | %tivodecodecmd% --mak %mak% -o %outfile% - | %vlccmd% %outfile%

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
mattack

iTivo is a horrible program, IMHO. kmttg is much more usable, even though it DOES have a Java generic UI.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pimpernel View Post
It seems crazy that I can stream to my iPad but not to my laptop.
Exactly. It is crazy.

I hope this will be rectified sometime in the future. Tivo has said they are adding Android support for the Stream sometime in the future, but I haven't heard anything specific about streaming to a laptop or computer browser. Seems like a logical option to have.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
chip_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I use a Slingbox to stream my TiVo to my Mac, Windows 7, iPhone and Roku box. And it works from outside the home as well.
Slingbox streaming to Roku? Am I reading this correctly? If so, can you enlighten me?
chip_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Exactly. It is crazy.

I hope this will be rectified sometime in the future. Tivo has said they are adding Android support for the Stream sometime in the future, but I haven't heard anything specific about streaming to a laptop or computer browser. Seems like a logical option to have.
TiVo Desktop hasn't been updated by TiVo, except for minor fixes, in many years. I bet the first time we see streaming to a PC is when they released a Windows 8 app that just happens to be compatible with desktop version of Windows 8 as well.

Dan
Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
jlobello

You should check out TiVo Proxy Server in the developer forum. It has the ability to stream TiVo shows to VLC, for instance. It's a new development and a bit raw but it does work well.
jlobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobello View Post
You should check out TiVo Proxy Server in the developer forum. It has the ability to stream TiVo shows to VLC, for instance. It's a new development and a bit raw but it does work well.
I agree, you might want to try the TiVo Proxy Server... Very early with some current limitations: No protected content, No TiVo control, no FF, no rewind

Proxy Server

Interesting that Dan mentions Windows 8 and you discuss the TiVo proxy work being done. I was just thinking that it might be a fun first project to write a Windows 8 app around the proxy server...

It would have to be designed in a way to get passed the windows store. i was thinking a simple RSS / ATOM feed consumption app, the proxy server itself would have to be maintained separately.

But it could easily do cover art look ups and such... And if the Proxy server is initiated on a local computer - I see no reason why content couldn't be available remotely.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 01-26-2013 at 03:12 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
jacbec

I feel left out of the media world with just my MacBook Pro.
jacbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Fist of Death
Bon Vivant

I tried and failed to find a work-around. First, I downloaded xcode onto my mac, then fired up the ios simulator (http://bavotasan.com/2012/set-up-an-...ator-on-a-mac/). The problem came when trying to trick the simulator into running the TiVo app - Apple says "Note: You cannot install apps from the App Store in simulation environments." on their developer page (http://developer.apple.com/library/i...plication.html), and I could not trick the system into loading and running the app. Too bad - I had hoped that this would have given me TiVo stream output on my Mac.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
iTivo is a horrible program, IMHO. kmttg is much more usable, even though it DOES have a Java generic UI.
Also check out cTiVo:

http://code.google.com/p/ctivo/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
dugbug

Im a mac, ios developer. If the tivo stream api is documented enough I could make a mac app for it if folks would like. Give it a modern cocoa interface.

-d
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Im a mac, ios developer. If the tivo stream api is documented enough I could make a mac app for it if folks would like. Give it a modern cocoa interface.

-d
That would be so so so awesome. I don't know if the API is documented at all though?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
dugbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
That would be so so so awesome. I don't know if the API is documented at all though?

I dunno, doubtful. but Ill look into cTivo you posted.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

The developer page on TiVo's site hints at an upcoming mobile API, but as of right now the only API you can access is the one for writing Flash apps that run on the TiVo itself.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Also check out the (potentially very useful!) information revealed in this thread:

Discovering the iPad Interface

Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've played with hacking the Stream a bit. I appears to use encrypted HLS for the video and javascript JSON calls to setup the actual Stream. I didn't play with it long enough to figure out the actual format of the calls, but those are both standard so it seems like if you could figure out the format of the calls you might be able to get it to work in a standard browser as long as it supports encrypted HLS. (I believe Safari does)
Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
If we could get it to work on a Mac, then that means we could make it work over a VPN or otherwise trick it to stream outside the home, which would be a killer app indeed.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #24
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I've played with hacking the Stream a bit. I appears to use encrypted HLS for the video and javascript JSON calls to setup the actual Stream. I didn't play with it long enough to figure out the actual format of the calls, but those are both standard so it seems like if you could figure out the format of the calls you might be able to get it to work in a standard browser as long as it supports encrypted HLS. (I believe Safari does)
I noticed that the "Now Playing" page that is normally on the TiVo Premiere boxes is also present and serving on the Stream, it just doesn't list out anything.

I own a stream, have a fair bit of networking knowledge and I am a full time software developer. Want to collaborate? I have some free time next week and will set up the Stream on a mirrored port on my switch and capture the network traffic, then we can go from there.

I would love to figure out an open way to stream to browsers and Windows/Android tablets. Waiting for TiVo to provide it to us is simply not a viable option, as big a market as Android is and they are still not close to providing a TiVo Stream client for the TiVo app.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

Unfortunately I have a huge project right now and will be tied up for the next few weeks. (I'm slacking off now just typing this )
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #26
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Unfortunately I have a huge project right now and will be tied up for the next few weeks. (I'm slacking off now just typing this )
it better be VRD for mac, and you better let me beta test it. if its not, GTFO.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #27
volcs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoCujo View Post
iTiVo and VLC still work, I use it all the time.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=420619
I know this thread is pretty dead, but I wanted to say that this works perfectly- and took 2 minutes to set up.
cTivo (not iTivo) + VLC + Tivo Premiere + Mac w/ Mavericks.

Thank you!
volcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #28
MacBrian

Quote:
I just discovered cTivo last week after discovering that the new Toast 12 from Roxio has stopped including Tivo support. (It still works if you had a previous version installed...)

cTivo is Awesome! It has a great interface and can drop shows directly into iTunes, ready to go for iOS devices including Apple TV.
2011 Slingbox Solo
Series 2 Humax DRT800 (Still in use for VHS->DVD)
Series 1 Philips (Retired)
MacBrian is offline   Reply With Quote