TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
chrison600

iMovie on TiVo

Hi all,

I've done a lot of searching and tried some products but I'm still having issues/confused as to how to stream videos via a TiVo. I've tried Galleon and Plex and looked at threads here about Streambaby and TiVo Desktop, but can't seem to put together a good answer, so here goes:

I have an event here at my house in mid-November and have been asked to produce a video to show during that event. I can make the video using iMovie no big deal, but need to be able to stream it on or move it to my TiVo unit(s) so I can show it in other rooms. I have a Roamio Pro (upgraded to 4TB) and a Mini. I need a way to either "see" my MacBook from a TiVo so I can stream that video, or move that video to a TiVo to play it from there.

I suppose I should first look into how to do this via the Roamio, then graduate to the Mini if possible.

Is TiVo Desktop compatible with OSX? Maybe I should try that?

Chris
chrison600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

There is a version for Tivo Desktop for MAC but its pretty much out of date.

You can get PyTivo.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
chrison600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You can get PyTivo.
Ok, thank you. I have pyTiVo installed and running well enough that I can see my share on the TiVo unit, but no media is shown. What is the proper syntax for a path on OSX? "/macintosh_hd/video" ?? Does pyTiVo work with mp4 files?

Chris
Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrison600 View Post
Ok, thank you. I have pyTiVo installed and running well enough that I can see my share on the TiVo unit, but no media is shown. What is the proper syntax for a path on OSX? "/macintosh_hd/video" ?? Does pyTiVo work with mp4 files?

Chris
If this is the first time you have tried connecting and download from your Tivo, you would need to enable TRANSFERS and DOWNLOADS on your tivo.com account under DVR PREFERENCES, then SAVE on the bottom, force a Tivo Service connection on all of your Tivos in your account/network.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 10-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
chrison600

Thanks again. I checked "Device Preferences" in my tivo.com account and on the Roamio, "Video sharing" and "Enable video downloads" were both checked already. Should I still do the force reconnect?

Chris
Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
chrison600

I went ahead and did the force connect. No change. I added a photo folder and the folder appears and shows correct file names with generic photo icons, but when trying to view, the photos show as broken (generic broken photo icons).

Chris
Old 10-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
chrison600

pyTivo support (author) thinks pyTivo is having trouble seeing ffmpeg. I tried adding the path to ffmpeg to the pytivo config file, but no change. The author is asking me to send the "log". Do you know how I am to generate a log?

Chris
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

For the photo issue, its just the thumbnails that has the broken icons and they should open fine. To fix that broken photo icon, you would need to install the Python Image Library for your version of PyThon.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
chrison600

Ok. We've narrowed it down to ffmpeg not working. All I did to "install" ffmpeg was unpack it and copy all of the enclosed content into the "bin" folder at Applications/pytivo/bin.

It appears that there might need to be an installation script run, but I don't know. Do you?

Chris
Old 10-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
chrison600

I read through the "INSTALL.md" file in the ffmpeg content and ran the "./configure" command. It threw this error:

"yasm/nasm not found or too old. Use --disable-yasm for a crippled build."

What now?

Chris
Old 10-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
chrison600

I got it working. Found an version of yasm and installed it, then ran the ffmpeg configure command, no errors. Followed by the rest of the ffmpeg commands and it appears to be working ok now.

Thanks for your help.

Chris