TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
DougJohnson

The Caps Cap Another S3

My OLED S3 has been running happily for over 7 years. I've been patting myself on the back about not having sick capacitors. Can you see it coming?

The TiVo is on a UPS, so it hasn't shutdown for a year or more. Today, I needed to reconfigure my electronics stack. That all went well until I plugged the TiVo back in. Oops, it looks like it is stuck in a reboot loop. Won't even respond to kickstart.

Back out of the stack and take off the cover. There are three obviously bulging capacitors. Off to Fry's tomorrow to replace all the ones in the lists from around here. Thanks for that.

The good news? The beloved bride said "Why don't you get a new one?". So I've got a Roamio Plus with lifetime on the way.

New caps in my loyal S3 and then off to ebay to find it a good home.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
My OLED S3 has been running happily for over 7 years. I've been patting myself on the back about not having sick capacitors. Can you see it coming?

The TiVo is on a UPS, so it hasn't shutdown for a year or more. Today, I needed to reconfigure my electronics stack. That all went well until I plugged the TiVo back in. Oops, it looks like it is stuck in a reboot loop. Won't even respond to kickstart.

Back out of the stack and take off the cover. There are three obviously bulging capacitors. Off to Fry's tomorrow to replace all the ones in the lists from around here. Thanks for that.

The good news? The beloved bride said "Why don't you get a new one?". So I've got a Roamio Plus with lifetime on the way.

New caps in my loyal S3 and then off to ebay to find it a good home.

-- Doug
Remember, low ESR, rated for 105 degrees C, same uF, same or slightly higher voltage, observe polarity, and as long as you're doing the job, replace all the caps except the biggest one (which is the only one rated at 200 V) and the little bitty ones.

No point in having to do the job again in a month or 2, and the ones that are visibly bad aren't necessarily the only ones that are bad.

And don't forget, in addition to the I think it's 6 screws holding the board down, there's another one that goes in from the outside into the top of the AC input jack.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Remember, low ESR, rated for 105 degrees C, same uF, same or slightly higher voltage, observe polarity, and as long as you're doing the job, replace all the caps except the biggest one (which is the only one rated at 200 V) and the little bitty ones.

No point in having to do the job again in a month or 2, and the ones that are visibly bad aren't necessarily the only ones that are bad.

And don't forget, in addition to the I think it's 6 screws holding the board down, there's another one that goes in from the outside into the top of the AC input jack.
The power supply is out of the unit. It looks like an easy job.

Fry's was a disaster. They had huge empty areas, lots of empty shelves, the capacitor selection was half empty, and in no particular order. The other one across town was worse. Are they in trouble?

Anyway, I have an order in for all 11 capacitors from Mouser. But in the meantime, Beloved Bride is missing the Olympics. Not a good thing.

-- Doug
Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
The power supply is out of the unit. It looks like an easy job.

Fry's was a disaster. They had huge empty areas, lots of empty shelves, the capacitor selection was half empty, and in no particular order. The other one across town was worse. Are they in trouble?

Anyway, I have an order in for all 11 capacitors from Mouser. But in the meantime, Beloved Bride is missing the Olympics. Not a good thing.

-- Doug
It is an easy job, especially compared to mollifying your lovely lady.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
DougJohnson

Thumbs up New Caps Done

After placing the order with Mouser, the order confirmation showed their address was only 30 miles away. This morning, I called in another order for will-call and picked it up early this afternoon. An hour's work, mostly unsoldering the old capacitors, and I was ready for the smoke test.

The magic smoke all stayed inside the box and it booted normally. Back into the electronics stack and Beloved Bride has her Olympics back.

-- Doug