TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
moonscape

Question about capacitors

I have 2 Series 3's - the S3 (with display) and the HD - both lifetimed. I just purchased a Roamio Pro, but plan to continue using the S3s because the menu on the Roamio is difficult for me (I'll be reviewing programs to watch via my network on the HD).

Because of my vision issues, I'm keeping both the other units. Will return the 2 cable cards on the S3, and still use the HD for recording as I updated that drive to a 2T, and could even store some things on the S3 if I got desperate

The S3 has had moments of pixelation - nothing serious and infrequent. But, it made me think it could be a current/pending capacitor issue. The HD has zero symptoms.

We have a wonderful old-world electronics shop here, and they could replace whichever caps needed it. My questions are (and apologies for not doing more through research; I have limited time I'm able to read):

1. For the S3 should I just order these parts: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=1a42eea4c1 (thanks for that!) - which would provide the shop whatever they need? And does any pixelation invariably point to a capacitor issue?

2. Is there a similar listing for the HD or is it substantially the same?

3. Should I even have the HD checked out while I'm at it or wait for symptoms?

4. Is there any damage that's done when a capacitor goes, or it's just inconvenience until they're replaced? I'd rather do this on my schedule than a forced one.

Any other advice welcome.

Thanks!
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
unitron

The original S3 only has one model of power supply, but the HD/HD Xl version might have either of 2 different models made by two different companies, so you'll need to take the top off and tell us which model you have for us to point you to the right list.

Power supply problems in the various Series 2 and Series 3 models can cause all sorts of strange symptoms, and you need to eliminate the power supply as a possible cause of the problems before troubleshooting further, but you might still have a problem afterwards (but at least you'll know something other than the power supply is causing it).

If you're still running the original 250GB hard drive in that OLED S3, chances are really good it's about to bite the dust regardless of the condition of the power supply.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
moonscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The original S3 only has one model of power supply, but the HD/HD Xl version might have either of 2 different models made by two different companies, so you'll need to take the top off and tell us which model you have for us to point you to the right list.
I'll open it tomorrow - what am I looking for? A number on the power supply? (Hoping I can recognize it - my non-tech slip is showing!)

You think I should get another power supply? For both units? Best vendor?

My thinking is that I was being preemptive w/ the capacitors, esp on the HD since it's asymptomatic. Would that be advisable w/ the power supply also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you're still running the original 250GB hard drive in that OLED S3, chances are really good it's about to bite the dust regardless of the condition of the power supply.
I replaced that drive with a 1TB one - the HD with a 2TB one - several years ago. The last several years I was using them 6 months/year as I lived on the other coast the other half. Now they're running full-time and I very much want/need to keep them for the visual reasons I mentioned, not to mention all the pack-rat programs I want to watch
Old 02-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
CraigK
(unspecified)

I posted pictures of the two types of power supplies used in the TiVo HD (TCD652) in another thread.

THIS is the link to the 3Y power supply picture.

The AcBel picture is in the post following the one above.

Last edited by CraigK : 02-17-2014 at 12:12 AM.
CraigK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
My thinking is that I was being preemptive w/ the capacitors, esp on the HD since it's asymptomatic. Would that be advisable w/ the power supply also?
Frankly, I wouldn't mess with any of them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
moonscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
Frankly, I wouldn't mess with any of them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
-- Doug
You wouldn't even look for bulging capacitors? - or have an electronics shop determine if any were on the verge of failure?

That would simplify life in the short term, that's for sure
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
You wouldn't even look for bulging capacitors? - or have an electronics shop determine if any were on the verge of failure?

I opened both of our HDs up and one (the 3Y version) has a couple of bulging capacitors. I've had no problems yet, but ordered a set of capacitors (for the 3Y HD and the AcBel HD) since they were inexpensive enough.

I'm waiting for a slow time (maybe after the Olympics) to replace the 3Y capacitors and will have the parts ready in case anything develops with the AcBel TiVo HD in the future.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
DougJohnson

Quote:

If they are working, don't mess with them. As you probably have seen in this thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=514725, I have just finished re-caping my OLED S3. It showed no symptoms until it just wouldn't boot.

I don't really see the need for a preventative fix here. The failure mode is too-low voltages, so the chance of actually damaging something in a failure is pretty small. The chance of damaging something in the fix is also pretty small, but not zero.

-- Doug

Last edited by DougJohnson : 02-17-2014 at 05:11 PM.
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
unitron

The reason to fix it before it breaks is that there's a very high probability, which gets higher every day, that it's going to break, so better to spend a whole $10 on parts and do it when it's convenient.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
moonscape

Thanks all. Considering the negligible price for parts, I'll use the excellent info to order caps for the S3 and HD, and be ready with printed-out details from here to take to my electronics guru who can solder them when needed.

Appreciate the feedback/help!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Thanks all. Considering the negligible price for parts, I'll use the excellent info to order caps for the S3 and HD, and be ready with printed-out details from here to take to my electronics guru who can solder them when needed.

Appreciate the feedback/help!
Just be sure before ordering which model power supply your HD (TCD652160) uses, since there are two possibilities, unlike the 648.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #12
moonscape

Will do - thanks Unitron!