TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

Wife won't delete recordings

I've got an 80 hour series two TiVo. We've several season passes, with the option: "Keep until I delete". I've watched everything I want, and am ready to delete, but my wife is severely behind on watching the programs. The TiVo is almost full now, and often when I try to schedule a new program it says it can't schedule because it's out of memory.

(Actually, it's projecting that by the time the show airs, it'll be out of memory because of the "To Do" list, but as the season's really over now, the only stuff in my To Do list are 3 season passes my wife has set up for our 3 year old son -- educational cartoons. These are also "keep until I delete", but my wife has agreed to let me archive these to VHS as soon as they record. Therefore, by the time my desired shows will air, the TiVo really won't be out of memory, but it doesn't know that. A solution is for me to wait until just before the air date, and then schedule a recording.)

My wife is unwilling to delete anything, because she wants to watch it all. (There's quite a prodigious amount recorded right now.) She also doesn't know when she'll have time to watch stuff. She won't change "Keep until I delete" to an expiration date, because she can't guarantee when she'll watch the stuff. Our TiVo is effectively no longer an 80 hour TiVo, but a 6-7 hour TiVo, and it's still shrinking. Soon I'll be TiVoless. [sounds of shocked awe]. She's jeopardizing my TiVo experience. Solutions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 01-03-2006 at 03:20 PM.
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
LooseWiring

Upgrade.

Your wife preferrably, but upgrading your TiVo should work almost as well.
LooseWiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
LooseWiring

Another solution is to hand her a box of blank videos and tell her to start dubbing.

Another option that won't have much of an immediate benefit is to only allow her to record shows in basic quality.

Or, buy a new TiVo.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:08 AM   #4
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Get your wife her own TiVo. Seriously, that's what a lot of people have done. And if your schedules are that different, it probably makes the most sense.

Why not archive her stuff to VHS? Giving her the tapes doesn't cut it, since you have to essentially "watch it" to dub to VHS.

And I know you can't say it, but she's being really rude. If she's that far behind, she should tell you to go ahead and delete one of the series to make room. Besides, once it "fills up", it won't record anything else, so she'll miss some episodes.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!

Last edited by martinp13 : 06-03-2003 at 10:13 AM.
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:08 AM   #5
msu2k

Buy her her own Tivo. If it's that big of a problem, it's worth it.
msu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Get a second TiVo for your stuff.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
TiVoChick

The extra TiVo definitely does the job. I have 2 teenage kids and our viewing habits aren't always the same -- we often want to TiVo different programs at the same time. So now we have 3 TiVos and there's no more fighting.
TiVoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:44 AM   #8
timckelley
TCFer

Gosh, I'd hate to shell out for a second TiVO, but it would solve problems. I think what I may do is wait until her programs are about to delete... that may motivate her to start watching her stuff.

I'm a little confused by the order TiVo will use to decide what to delete. I hear that the first thing it deletes is the suggestions. Once that's done, I would think it would delete the ones that say "until space needed" before the ones that say "Keep until I delete". Once the former is gone, I assume it starts attacking the latter. But within those two categories, what order does it use? Note: In the season pass manager I moved shows up and down the list thinking it would affect the priority. Will it delete all episodes of one show before attacking another?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:58 AM   #9
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally posted by timckelley

I'm a little confused by the order TiVo will use to decide what to delete.
Mostly right, except I understand that when the entire TiVo is full of KUID shows, NOTHING will be deleted. It will just stop recording new stuff

I would also suggest you upgrade, but it would ...
1. Make her procrastinate more
2. Delay the inevitable - a full 200+ hour TiVo as opposed to an 80 hour!

I upgraded weeks ago from 80 to 80+120, and upped the recording quality (I had grown to loathe Basic Quality, and some shows don't look good enough at medium either!), so I was able to relax a week or so before it filled up again!

A second TiVo might be your better, if not cheaper option.

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:59 AM   #10
Riggstonia

forget the new tivo, get a new wife
Old 06-03-2003, 11:03 AM   #11
allan
I survived the Mayan

A second Tivo is the best choice if you can afford it. Then you won't be bothered if she fills hers with KUID (Keep Until I Delete). An alternative is to save everything to VCR. That's less time consuming than actually watching the shows, since you don't have to be sitting at the tube while it saves it. As for what gets deleted when, suggestions go first, then the Keep Until Space Needed. Basically, if it has a yellow exclaimation point, it could go anytime. The solid yellow will expire in a day. Tivo never touches the KUID's. They're there until you (or your wife) deletes them.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:07 AM   #12
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

TiVo will never delete "Keep until I delete" shows; only humans are authorized to do that. The error you mentioned earlier demonstrates that.
Fustanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:24 AM   #13
mbalgeman
Bagel Man

Quote:
Originally posted by allan
A second Tivo is the best choice if you can afford it. Then you won't be bothered if she fills hers with KUID (Keep Until I Delete).
Until she fills up your TiVo with her KUID stuff. I can see the conversation now...
Wife: I can't record my show because my TiVo is full. Can you record it on your TiVo for me?

Honestly, with most shows being in re-runs at this point, you might just be able to ride this out for a couple weeks until the wife starts to catch up. Upgrading to a bigger hard drive will give you a bigger buffer for the next season of First Runs, so it might be worth doing it for the future.

Another option is make the kid's shows season pass "Save until space needed". That way you can set up the other shows to record, then change the kid's show's season pass back to KUID. I've never tried it, but I think that would work.
mbalgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #14
drosoph
Distinguished Member

Ok, get her her own TiVo ... I think you will win some points for doing so (I did) ... and it just *helps* the marriage in the long-run. We got our second and never looked back !

Feature Requests: Collaborative Scheduling, Schedule WISHLIST on TCO, Boolean Searches (and,or,not)
(2) S1, (5) S2, (1) S2.5, (2) S3 Tivo, (1) Premiere, Stream
drosoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:38 AM   #15
dgh

Quote:
Gosh, I'd hate to shell out for a second TiVO, but it would solve problems.
Have you tried running the math by her? ie time to catch up = hours recorded / (average hours available to watch TV each night - average hours of "important" stuff TiVo records each night). Is the denominator even positive?
dgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 AM   #16
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by dgh
Have you tried running the math by her? ie time to catch up = hours recorded / (average hours available to watch TV each night - average hours of "important" stuff TiVo records each night). Is the denominator even positive?
I take it you're not married, if you are offering such a suggestion seriously.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:31 PM   #17
Mike20878
Jake & Adam's dad

It's a pain, but I go through and extend the keep until date on shows that are in danger of deletion. I'm trying to watch as much as I can to catch up...
Mike20878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:42 PM   #18
foo monkey

Start deleting her programs, one at a time, but don't tell her. If she finds out, which she probably won't, apologize. She's not going to divorce you over television.
foo monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:46 PM   #19
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally posted by foo monkey
Start deleting her programs, one at a time, but don't tell her. If she finds out, which she probably won't, apologize. She's not going to divorce you over television.
I wouldn't bet on that! Some people take their TV very seriously.

BEEP
Old 06-03-2003, 12:50 PM   #20
edrock200

Throw a 120gb drive in there to add to your 80gb.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:56 PM   #21
aaronw

Quote:

I'm a little confused by the order TiVo will use to decide what to delete. I hear that the first thing it deletes is the suggestions. Once that's done, I would think it would delete the ones that say "until space needed" before the ones that say "Keep until I delete". Once the former is gone, I assume it starts attacking the latter. But within those two categories, what order does it use?
KUID means KUID, no ifs, ands, or buts. What you saw was that it did not allow you to schedule more things because it knew that it would have no space to put them. As far as within space needed, I think once all of them are showing the yellow (!) I *think* it's just in order of when the 'save until date' is, but I'm not sure - I never let myself get that far behind the TiVo because I know I'd have to spend a whole weekend trying to get up to date.
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:07 PM   #22
foo monkey

Tell her she's being selfish.
foo monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:09 PM   #23
Mike20878
Jake & Adam's dad

Quote:
Originally posted by foo monkey
Tell her she's being selfish.
Oh, that'll fix everything!

Out of curiousity, what programs does she have saved? My wife had me TiVo'ing all kinds of reality crap...

Mike
Mike20878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #24
rsnaider

Add another vote to upgrade...

I guess that could either be the wife or the TiVo.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #25
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike20852
Out of curiousity, what programs does she have saved? My wife had me TiVo'ing all kinds of reality crap...

Mike
EuYuck!!

BEEP
Old 06-03-2003, 01:23 PM   #26
JPA2825

Variation on a suggestion

Why not simply tape to VHS as you watch the program? Then she gets the benefit of the 60x FF and you use less tapes b/c all the commercials are edited out. She can hardly complain about that setup.

I recommend that you put each show on a different tape in chronological order. Also be sure to tape the Now Playing Screen to make sure which one you're taping.

Finally, when I'm done watching and I want my wife to know that I've watched it, we FF to 5 min. mark. That way if I start a show that is at 5 min., I know I can delete when I'm done watching.
JPA2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:39 PM   #27
Jonathan_S

Quote:
As far as within space needed, I think once all of them are showing the yellow (!) I *think* it's just in order of when the 'save until date' is, but I'm not sure
IIRC the tivo actually deletes the oldest expired show, not the show that has been expired the longest. Normally this is the same show, but if you have extended the save until date on some shows that might not be the case.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #28
Davidian

Tell her that 2 shows are getting deleted every day. Let her decide if she wants to do it, or if you will have to.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:36 PM   #29
edrock200

Tell her you got an error message that the Tivo is very tired of holding all that information and that it will begin to drop some of it soon if it's not watched or deleted. The message also warned that save until I delete is very stressful for the Tivo and causes wierd problems. It then said that no guide data will be downloaded because it's too full. It's filled up it's long term memory and now everything is being stored in short term memory. It's a very critical situation!

Old 06-03-2003, 03:40 PM   #30
Timber

Delete her stuff and blame it on a TiVo bug!

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote