TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Can a Mini coexist with another TiVo in the room?

I have a 4 tuner Premiere in the Living room. Also have a 2-tuner Premiere and Series 3 (OLED) in bedroom (both lifetime). The two bedroom TiVos operate independently with one Series 3 GLO remote that has a 1/2 switch.

I am thinking of getting a TiVo Mini & replacing the 2-tuner Premiere with this Mini. Can I still use the 1/2 remote to control both the Mini and the Series 3 (OLED) like before? Basically, go into its setting and change the remote address like I did before.

I am also well aware that the mini won't be able to obtain anything from the Series 3 that would be literally sitting underneath it as its strictly a streaming device, but I like having its clock in the bedroom. The Series 3 is connected to another HDMI port on my TV so I can watch stuff from it if needed. Either that or I plan to use it for basically more storage for recording items and then offload them to either the 4 or 2-tuner Premieres in other rooms if needed.

Just wondering about the mini's ability to operate independently with a TiVo remote & a 1/2 peanut remote
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Yes,
The mini can have it's remote set just like a full Tivo.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have a 4 tuner Premiere in the Living room. Also have a 2-tuner Premiere and Series 3 (OLED) in bedroom (both lifetime). The two bedroom TiVos operate independently with one Series 3 GLO remote that has a 1/2 switch.

I am thinking of getting a TiVo Mini & replacing the 2-tuner Premiere with this Mini. Can I still use the 1/2 remote to control both the Mini and the Series 3 (OLED) like before? Basically, go into its setting and change the remote address like I did before.

I am also well aware that the mini won't be able to obtain anything from the Series 3 that would be literally sitting underneath it as its strictly a streaming device, but I like having its clock in the bedroom. The Series 3 is connected to another HDMI port on my TV so I can watch stuff from it if needed. Either that or I plan to use it for basically more storage for recording items and then offload them to either the 4 or 2-tuner Premieres in other rooms if needed.

Just wondering about the mini's ability to operate independently with a TiVo remote & a 1/2 peanut remote
Assuming you are not doing any OTA. Sell all three of your old Tivos on eBay and get a Roamio and a Mini. There is no sense in dealing with those slow Premieres and the complexity of managing recordings across three devices.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
buscuitboy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
Assuming you are not doing any OTA. Sell all three of your old Tivos on eBay and get a Roamio and a Mini. There is no sense in dealing with those slow Premieres and the complexity of managing recordings across three devices.
I now tend to sort of agree and am considering this. My 4-tuner premiere is not lifetime though and only month to month. Still may be worth it. I just still like the look of the Series 3 (OLED) and wish they would have continued something along the same line.

Maybe I'll just suck it up and stick teh S3 back in a basement rec room like it was before.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 01-24-2014 at 01:06 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I now tend to sort of agree and am considering this. My 4-tuner premiere is not lifetime though and only month to month. Still may be worth it. I just still like the look of the Series 3 (OLED) and wish they would have continued something along the same line.

Maybe I'll just suck it up and stick teh S3 back in a basement rec room like it was before.
I think people have had success getting premieres updated to lifetime for cheap. Give Tivo a call and explore your options. Then you would be able to sell all three boxes for at least $300 each.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
I think people have had success getting premieres updated to lifetime for cheap. Give Tivo a call and explore your options. Then you would be able to sell all three boxes for at least $300 each.
FYI I just got $455 on E-Bay for a TP4 with an 2Tb drive, (using buy it now) sold in 1 hour so I must have asked too little.