TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
bellbm

Problems with Direct Show Dump

Hi-
I have used DSD for quite some time to convert tivo files to mpeg 2. Since I got the roamio, the converted files will play ok on my computer, but I can't open them in my video editing software, or transfer them back to my Roamio.
Anyone else having this issue, or have an idea of what might be causing this, or how to fix it?
Thanks
bellbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm guessing that you're extracting the files as transport streams -- TiVo Desktop's "fast mode" -- and your particular video editor doesn't support that; and you're attempting to send them back via TiVo Desktop. TD will only send back transport streams that are still in the form of .TiVo files, AFAIK, and not the decrypted versions. (pyTivo would allow you to send them back, though.)

You might try renaming the affected files from ".mpg" to ".ts" to see if that changes your video editor's behavior. (What is it, BTW?) If not, you could manually remux the files to .mpg, via FFmpeg, for example:

ffmpeg -i filename.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy filename.mpg

For future transfers, if you uncheck that box in TD, they should work as before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Shameless plug....

VideoReDo can open .tivo files directly, edit them, and save them back to a format compatible with TiVo Desktop regardless of the format. You should give it a try.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
bellbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I'm guessing that you're extracting the files as transport streams -- TiVo Desktop's "fast mode" -- and your particular video editor doesn't support that; and you're attempting to send them back via TiVo Desktop. TD will only send back transport streams that are still in the form of .TiVo files, AFAIK, and not the decrypted versions. (pyTivo would allow you to send them back, though.)

You might try renaming the affected files from ".mpg" to ".ts" to see if that changes your video editor's behavior. (What is it, BTW?) If not, you could manually remux the files to .mpg, via FFmpeg, for example:

ffmpeg -i filename.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy filename.mpg

For future transfers, if you uncheck that box in TD, they should work as before.
I'm using Pinnacle Studio to edit. I'll take a look at that option in Tivo Desktop (I wasn't even aware it was there). I don't think I've made any changes to the settings since I switched from my Tivo HD to my Roamio. The only thing I did do was stop the automatic conversions for my iphone, since I can now download those through the ap.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yeah, it's the default setting, I think. You wouldn't have seen the effect before, because it only works on Series 4 or 5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
bellbm

That did the trick!

Thanks for the fix! Would have probably never figured that out myself!