TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #121
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I believe too that the days of retail Tivos is done, look at all the agreements that TiVo has signed with cable providers especially with the Pace box running Tivo software interface. Combine that with last year's appeals court ruling that may spell the end of cable cards.

http://www.lightreading.com/cable-vi.../d/d-id/705873

With their announcement of reducing their in house engineers, their cloud based Dvr ideas the conclusion is simple, you can have your Tivo interface but it will be supplied by your cable company

Three years ago they were sueing cable co's over Dvr patients, but now most of those have been settled or dismissed. If you can't beat them, join them! The revenue model for working with the cable companies is just as high as selling subscriptions to a few people who want a retail TiVo, the majority of cable subscribers want a one stop Dvr solution and are turned away from dealing with both cable companies and Tivo, people like us here at TCF are a relatively small group when compared to the cable subscriber base.

While there might be a sixth generation Tivo, I bet the Roamio will be the last DVR that you will be able to buy, pop in a cable card and watch TV.
I agree as what could TiVo do to get someone to upgrade any Roamio 6 tuner TiVo with a Series 6 ? The Roamio 6 tuner is like the VCR of the early 90s, if it broke you may have purchased a new one but almost nobody upgraded to the SVHS VCR, I don't think ultra HD will be a big improvement except for screens over 65" that most people don't have (I saw a demo the two systems on a split screen 65" and the difference was not that great that I would spend the money to get ultra HD), so if cable Co.s starts some channels at ultra HD I would not purchase a Series 6 to record it. The Roamio 6 tuner is the end of the line for me (for at least the next 7 or more years) on purchasing any new TiVos, unless the mother board goes on one. The Roamio UI is fast enough and with OD and Netflix, and within 12 months a 4Tb DIY possible and some more fixes from TiVo down the road that will be it for me. Most people don't need more storage than the Pro gives, but if they do WK does offer a 4Tb option now.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #122
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I agree as what could TiVo do to get someone to upgrade any Roamio 6 tuner TiVo with a Series 6 ? The Roamio 6 tuner is like the VCR of the early 90s, if it broke you may have purchased a new one but almost nobody upgraded to the SVHS VCR, I don't think ultra HD will be a big improvement except for screens over 65" that most people don't have (I saw a demo the two systems on a split screen 65" and the difference was not that great that I would spend the money to get ultra HD), so if cable Co.s starts some channels at ultra HD I would not purchase a Series 6 to record it. The Roamio 6 tuner is the end of the line for me (for at least the next 7 or more years) on purchasing any new TiVos, unless the mother board goes on one. The Roamio UI is fast enough and with OD and Netflix, and within 12 months a 4Tb DIY possible and some more fixes from TiVo down the road that will be it for me. Most people don't need more storage than the Pro gives, but if they do WK does offer a 4Tb option now.
I agree. With the Roamio line of DVRs there is no need for TiVo to do a hardware refresh for years, so no reason to be spending money on hard ware design/development. As I said in another post TiVo will follow the market not lead it, what comes next is a function of where the market goes, which is also highly dependent on what happens with cable cards.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote