TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
godsey1

Does Tivo work with Charter cable?

Hi all, new member here. I have been with Dish Network for about 6 years, I love the channels and guide, but hate the cost. Yesterday we had Charter come and install their cable, phone and internet. I hate their cable box, and guide.

I have been checking around looking at Tivo's, and am wondering if I can use a Tivo with Charter.

My wife went to Charter today and they make it sound like they don't support Tivo.

Thanks for any help,

Tony
godsey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
buscuitboy

Charter should support TiVos. You will need to obtain a cable card from them. Either from a local office or they may be able to send you one in the mail. This will then insert into your new TiVo. You then need to call Charter and have them "pair" the new cable card with the new TiVo you got.

I have Comcast and they have a dedicated cable card hotline. Not sure if Charter has this and/or how hard it is to pair cable cards with TiVos with Charter. While I didn't need this, I know some cable companies require a SDV adapter as well. Maybe someone else with Charter can confirm this or not.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Charter should support TiVos. You will need to obtain a cable card from them. Either from a local office or they may be able to send you one in the mail. This will then insert into your new TiVo. You then need to call Charter and have them "pair" the new cable card with the new TiVo you got.

I have Comcast and they have a dedicated cable card hotline. Not sure if Charter has this and/or how hard it is to pair cable cards with TiVos with Charter. While I didn't need this, I know some cable companies require a SDV adapter as well. Maybe someone else with Charter can confirm this or not.
I have Charter in St. Louis and have been using CableCards since I had my S3 back in 2006. I've gone through Tivo HD units, Premieres and now a Roamio Pro.

You will need a CableCard and Tuning Adapter per Tivo. In St. Louis, they use Motorola cards and Motorola TAs. I did run into an issue when moving one of my CableCards from my S3 to my Roamio Pro as Charter couldn't get it to work over the phone with the phone install. A tech had to come up with a newer card with newer FW for it to work and so far, it seems to be working on my Roamio Pro.

If you're starting fresh with a new Tivo install, you may need a truck roll to get it all working if you can't pick up the equipment locally and do an over-the-phone pairing of the card and TA to the Tivo.

You will be looked at like the redheaded stepchild since they seldom do many things with CableCards and they don't have a dedicated group like Comcast seems to. You'll call into the regular tech support number and you may have to get shuffled around to a rep that is versed on CableCards in trying to get this dealt with for a new install.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
godsey1

Thanks for the info. I have found a set of Roamio pro and mini for 680.00 shipped new that I may get.

Tony
Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

I don't have Charter, but I'm pretty sure all cable TV companies in the U.S. are required to support the CableCard standard under federal regulations. From my own experiences with Time Warner Cable, I can tell you that cable companies do their best to discourage you from it. They want to lock you into their crappy, overpriced equipment if they possibly can. Their most popular strategy for this seems to be getting their employees playing dumb about it and trying to get you to question whether you know what you're actually talking about. Just be persistent and firm. Eventually you'll get Charter to live up to their legal duty to support your TiVo.

I did find references to CableCard and TiVo on Charter's website:

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Cus...px?MenuItem=79

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...rtArticleID=15

It looks like there is some useful info there and it at least proves that they do support CableCards and TiVo. If any Charter employees try to tell you they don't support it, just reference their own website and that should shut them up about it.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-23-2014 at 08:20 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
JosephB

Charter does support CableCards and TiVos. It can be a trying experience, but once you get it setup and going you'll be in good shape.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
godsey1

Thanks for all the good comments and help. Just got off the phone with Charter and the customer rep said that I would have to find out what cable card that I need before they can get me one.

They carry one type in their office, and they other they would have to send it to me from somewhere else.

How do I know what type card that I need?

Tony
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsey1 View Post
Thanks for all the good comments and help. Just got off the phone with Charter and the customer rep said that I would have to find out what cable card that I need before they can get me one.

They carry one type in their office, and they other they would have to send it to me from somewhere else.

Tony
Charter is supposed to know what kind of card you need. It's dependent on what system they use in your area (Cisco or Motorola).

They're "supposed" to be able to mail them to you, but I have never had that happen. Just go to your local Charter store and get a CableCard and Tuning Adapter, or you can schedule a tech to bring one out.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
tarheelblue32

Quote:
the customer rep said that I would have to find out what cable card that I need before they can get me one.

Tony
That's a strange thing for them to tell you, as the brand of card (Motorola vs. Cisco) used in your area is the brand you will need. However, I think what the customer service rep was probably referring to was not the brand of card but rather single-stream card ("S-card") vs. multi-stream card (M-card). I'm sure they probably only keep M-cards in stock these days as all current TiVos use them. Only if you went on ebay and bought a really old TiVo would you need a single-stream card.

Just get the brand of card they keep it stock at your local office and just make sure that it's an M-card. It's almost certainly the type of card you will need.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-23-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
That's a strange thing for them to tell you, as the brand of card (Motorola vs. Cisco) used in your area is the brand you will need. However, I think what the customer service rep was probably referring to was not the brand of card but rather single-stream card ("S-card") vs. multi-stream card (M-card). I'm sure they probably only keep M-cards in stock these days as all current TiVos use them. Only if you went on ebay and bought a really old TiVo would you need a single-stream card.

Just get the brand of card they keep it stock at your local office and just make sure that it's an M-card. It's almost certainly the type of card you will need.
Actually, a Series 3 can use an M-Card, it'll just be in single stream mode. They should really only be dealing in M-Cards these days. Probably just got an unfortunately educated CSR

Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
godsey1

Yes that's the cards she said. I will send my wife in there when the box gets here and get the card. Thanks a bunch for the help, and I look forward to reading and posting on here a lot,

Tony
Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #12
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Yes that's the cards she said. I will send my wife in there when the box gets here and get the card. Thanks a bunch for the help, and I look forward to reading and posting on here a lot,

Tony
From the Charter website it looks like Charter uses Switched Digital Video (SDV) in most places, so your wife will also probably need to pick up a tuning adapter when she's there getting the CableCard.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-24-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #13
godsey1

ok thanks. I cant wait to get this thing and get it running.

Tony
Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #14
rainwater

When you call Charter to pair it, just say "Cablecard" at the voice prompt and you will usually get someone who knows how to pair the card over the phone.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
MrDell

Smile

I think you will be very happy with your Tivo........ I really like my Premiere. I wish it was as responsive as the Roameo but I like it just the same. You will also save a lot of money on the overpriced rental fees that the cable companies love to charge!!
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
godsey1

I hope the wife likes the guide. If it is anything better than the Charter one. It will save us around 30.00 a month.

Tony
Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #17
tatergator1

Quote:
I hope the wife likes the guide. If it is anything better than the Charter one. It will save us around 30.00 a month.

Tony
Below is the "Grid Guide"

The other option is the "Live Guide"

tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #18
tarheelblue32

I didn't even know there was a "grid guide" option. I learn something new every day around here.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #19
godsey1

That grid guide is perfect for us. My wife has a big smile on her face after i showed it to her. I cant wait to get this thing and get it running.

Tony
Old 01-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #20
hazelnus

I am in St. Louis area with Charter and have it working fine. It was a hassle to get set up but here are a few pearls I picked up along the way:
- Initial setup, get a tech visit. However, they never have the equipment, so set up the tech visit but go pick up your tuning adapter and M-card at the main Charter store in your area.
-Make sure that you call tech support and that tech visits are 8-5 hours so that their one tivo expert is around for tech to consult.
-you don't need all-digital cable to get it to work
-It can be done
-educate yourself about TA setup with splitter (parallel calls to TA and Tivo, not in series)
-familiarize yourself with Murphy's Law
hazelnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #21
godsey1

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try to do it myself at first. It shouldn't be too hard, but Murphy's Law is always there. If I understand this set up it should be:

Cable coming into the house-----into TA-------into Tivo Then cable run from Tivo to Mini.

Install cable card and call Tivo to have them start my account.

Am I close to being correct?

Tony
Old 01-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #22
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I am going to try to do it myself at first. It shouldn't be too hard, but Murphy's Law is always there. If I understand this set up it should be:

Cable coming into the house-----into TA-------into Tivo Then cable run from Tivo to Mini.

Install cable card and call Tivo to have them start my account.

Am I close to being correct?

Tony
You'll want to get a high frequency cable splitter and split the cable going to the TA and the TiVo. The tuning adapters are cheaply made and the coax pass through on the tuning adapters is horrible. I actually tried doing it that way at first and I couldn't get a moca signal through it. Once I used the splitter, everything worked fine.

I also got an extra POE filter to filter out moca signals from going to the tuning adapter, as I read somewhere that sometimes the tuning adapters don't like the moca signals. This probably isn't actually necessary, but I did it anyway. For the same reason, I also put a filter on the coax going to my cable modem. Again, probably not actually necessary, but I like to be overly thorough.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-26-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #23
godsey1

Splitting the cable? So does that mean that the TA is on a cable by itself? Meaning main cable, splitting it in to 2 different cables, 1 running to the TA and ending, the other cable running to the Tivo, then running from Tivo to the mini? Thanks so much for the help,

Tony
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Splitting the cable? So does that mean that the TA is on a cable by itself? Meaning main cable, splitting it in to 2 different cables, 1 running to the TA and ending, the other cable running to the Tivo, then running from Tivo to the mini? Thanks so much for the help,

Tony
Yes, the TA is on a cable by itself. So, from the wall jack to a high-frequency 2-way splitter, one cable going to the coax in port on the TA and the other cable goes to the coax in port on the TiVo. You won't connect anything to the coax out port on the TA. Just pretend it's there for decoration. Charter's own website actually has a visual display of this setup.

Apparently even Charter knows their TA's are so bad that you shouldn't use the coax out port on the TA.

The Roamio will connect and send TV content (either live TV or recordings) to the mini through moca signals sent over the same cable that is bringing the cable channels into it. The moca network operates at a higher frequency (which is the reason you need a high-frequency splitter) than the cable company uses, so the moca signals won't interfere with the signals the cable company is sending you TV channels on.

The Roamio Plus/Pro and the mini have built-in moca adapters, but you will probably still need another moca adapter (TiVo sells these on their website) to bridge your internet connection if your internet router is in a different location from your Roamio. See the TiVo website for a diagram of this:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/mini

Lastly, you're going to want to install a point-of-entry filter (as the name describes) at the place where the cable company's line enters your home before it splits off to all of the outlets in your home. TiVo also sells these on their website. This filter helps keep your moca signals in and any moca signals of your close neighbors out of your home, which increases the reliability and security of your moca network.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 01-26-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #25
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Yes, the TA is on a cable by itself. So, from the wall jack to a high-frequency 2-way splitter, one cable going to the coax in port on the TA and the other cable goes to the coax in port on the TiVo. You won't connect anything to the coax out port on the TA. Just pretend it's there for decoration. Charter's own website actually has a visual display of this setup.

Apparently even Charter knows their TA's are so bad that you shouldn't use the coax out port on the TA.

The Roamio will connect and send TV content (either live TV or recordings) to the mini through moca signals sent over the same cable that is bringing the cable channels into it. The moca network operates at a higher frequency (which is the reason you need a high-frequency splitter) than the cable company uses, so the moca signals won't interfere with the signals the cable company is sending you TV channels on.

The Roamio Plus/Pro and the mini have built-in moca adapters, but you will probably still need another moca adapter (TiVo sells these on their website) to bridge your internet connection if your internet router is in a different location from your Roamio. See the TiVo website for a diagram of this:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/mini

Lastly, you're going to want to install a point-of-entry filter (as the name describes) at the place where the cable company's line enters your home before it splits off to all of the outlets in your home. TiVo also sells these on their website. This filter helps keep your moca signals in and any moca signals of your close neighbors out of your home, which increases the reliability and security of your moca network.
There's two problems with the coax pass through. Mainly, it doesn't pass through MoCA, so if you're using your TiVo to bridge MoCA to your internet connection or to deliver your internet connection to your TiVo, using the passthrough on the TA will block that.

Secondly, at least on the Cisco TAs, the passthrough actually has an amp on it that strengthens the signal going to the output (IE: TiVo). Oftentimes this amp will fail, and the TA will work fine, but the coax output to the TiVo will not.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 AM   #26
godsey1

OK. I think I have it now. I will get the splitter and filter. I will try at Radio Shack, and will have them make a couple 2-3 foot cables for after the splitter. Hopefully the system will be here today, and I can work on it a little. Thanks again for the GREAT information,

Tony
Old 01-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #27
godsey1

If I want to use my Ethernet from my router, would that be easier? Hook both the pro and mini up on separate wires. We have most of our wiring under the house and it is easy to get to. IF I go this route, what all would I need? I hate to keep bugging you all, but I want this to work. Thanks again,

Tony
Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 AM   #28
rainwater

Quote:
If I want to use my Ethernet from my router, would that be easier? Hook both the pro and mini up on separate wires. We have most of our wiring under the house and it is easy to get to. IF I go this route, what all would I need? I hate to keep bugging you all, but I want this to work. Thanks again,

Tony
Ethernet is the simplest and preferred method to use for connecting TiVos to your home network. So if you can do it, then I would use that method.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #29
godsey1

That would be easy for me to do. I will look into that setup. Thanks,

Tony
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
tarheelblue32

Just fyi, the Mini only has 10/100 ethernet, whereas I think i get 270 Mbps on my Moca connection with the Mini. So moca has a higher theoretical speed for the Mini than ethernet, not that it should really matter all that much.