TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #121
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestan View Post
I took advantage of this offer and ordered the pro with lifetime. This is the first TIVO that I have ordered from TIVO it self the others where from BB. When my pro arrives will it be activated and on my account?
Yes. One of the benefits from ordering from Tivo. By the time you receive the shipment, everything will be updated on Tivo's servers so all you need to do is connect to the network, download any software update and the guide info, and everything should work right away.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #122
sakura panda
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
Why would you feel your equipment would get you removed? The beta/hardware panel (different from the AP), uses customers with all types of equipment. When I was first selected for that, I was running the oldest equipment Tivo had at the time. We helped them develop "Kid Zone".
Because as new features are added, if my hardware doesn't have those features, my opinion may be irrelevant. It was just a guess, since at the moment I can't recall any questions that I haven't been able to answer based on my current habits. I'd like to stay on the panel, so it would be a good thing to me if hardware didn't matter.

In that case, maybe they are trying to boost sales with devoted followers who haven't added anything new to their account in a while.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #123
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura panda View Post
Because as new features are added, if my hardware doesn't have those features, my opinion may be irrelevant. It was just a guess, since at the moment I can't recall any questions that I haven't been able to answer based on my current habits. I'd like to stay on the panel, so it would be a good thing to me if hardware didn't matter.

In that case, maybe they are trying to boost sales with devoted followers who haven't added anything new to their account in a while.
It could be any number of reasons... and all we can do is speculate because we'll never know lol

On a related note, it reminds me of the pin numbers that Disney issues. Certain "chosen" people receive emails with unbelievable offers that would make your head spin. Me? My family? We *never* get pins!! However, we visit WDW about eleventy billion times a year (a conservative estimate lol!) so we think that's why we're never chosen. Why should Disney send us a discounted package when we show up on their doorstep every other month? They *already* have us hooked.

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #124
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Anyone have an extra advisory panel code they don't plan on using? I'd love to order a mini and a roamio pro both with lifetime. Please pm me if you don't mind. I'll modify this post once I recieve one to let the community know all set. If by chance I get an extra code I'll be sure to get them into those hands that will use them. Thanks!!!
No love for Betty?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #125
mjcxp

I bought a code for $25 on ebay and ordered 2 tivo minis with lifetime. I guess there is no limit on how many tivo minis you can order for $24.99.
mjcxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #126
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
You're saying, the Roamio is no improvement over the Premiere? Is that your assertion? Or are you just angry and you want to rant?
You quoted my actual note with your response above, but I find that puzzling since I never even used the word ROAMIO in my note and made no comparison of ANYTHING ANYWHERE.

The bottom line of my note was that the AP offer may have gone out to only panel members who actually answered the surveys and that does not change even if your responses were highly critical of Tivo practices.

There was no rant and, I guess just like beauty, anger is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW folks, I received another offer in email today for a free course in reading comprehension. I won't be using it, but if anyone else wants the promo code, let me know.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #127
celtic pride

Any one know if tivo will let you pay for the tivo with 1 credit card ,and then a different credit card for the lifetime service? Also how much does an extended warranty cost? and how many years?
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #128
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
My understanding is they actually made it EASIER to upgrade the drive by having the OS on solid state outside of the HD.
The only way they could make it easier to upgrade the drive would be to send someone to your house to do it for you.

If you have ever installed a new drive into a computer, you can do the same with a Tivo.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #129
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura panda View Post
From what everyone is posting, I'm guessing they are trying to get people who do not have the current hardware to upgrade. I'm on the advisory panel and I got the offer. My current active TiVos are two S2 receivers (one lifetime, one monthly, IR'd with a DirecTV receiver) and one dual tuner Premier (HD antenna).
All they had to do was word the e-mail properly and not let loyal TAP participants wondering what they did wrong to not be selected for the offer.

Poor PR with your loyal base TIVO!!
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #130
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcxp View Post
I bought a code for $25 on ebay and ordered 2 tivo minis with lifetime. I guess there is no limit on how many tivo minis you can order for $24.99.
From the letter:

Each promo code can only be used once and is good for only one Roamio DVR and/or one TiVo Mini. (You may purchase one DVR and one Mini using this code, but not two DVRs.)

Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #131
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
Any one know if tivo will let you pay for the tivo with 1 credit card ,and then a different credit card for the lifetime service? Also how much does an extended warranty cost? and how many years?
2 years = $29.99
3 years = $39.99

Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #132
Ziggie

Ordered this morning and received my shipping notice with tracking # about an hour ago. 4 to 6 days via ground

Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #133
mjcxp

Quote:
From the letter:

Each promo code can only be used once and is good for only one Roamio DVR and/or one TiVo Mini. (You may purchase one DVR and one Mini using this code, but not two DVRs.)
Hmm... My order placed yesterday just shipped for 2 Tivo Minis with lifetime. Total cost was $353.
mjcxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #134
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcxp View Post
Hmm... My order placed yesterday just shipped for 2 Tivo Minis with lifetime. Total cost was $353.
Enjoy!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #135
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Yep! This forum used to be all about replacing hard drives! There was lots of tech support from members and ideas on what was best.
Exactly, the tech support here was always excellent, so excellent that it quickly transformed me from a 'newbie' almost into the 'go to guy'. The hardware upgrades were always easy, the support came in when you had to install the Tivo software. You had to buy and install programs like Instant Cake to transfer the software from the original drive to the upgraded drive and there were different versions of Instant Cake for different Tivo models

Now replacing a drive and the software has gotten so easy, anyone can do it. That is why I am surprised nobody is even talking about it.

OK, I stopped writing and did the math. Using the Advisory Panel offer, I added the Pro to my cart with lifetime and then did the same with the Plus. The Pro will cost me $979.85 and the Plus $870.87. That is a savings of $108.88 and buying a new 3TB drive will cost about $130.

I then logged out and checked the prices again with no offers. The Pro was $1099.98 and the Plus was $899.98, a difference of $200, but this would be for a first time buyer who could upgrade the Plus and save about $70. Of course all of us here are already owners and have access to various offers, so the once lucrative practice of self upgrading seems to be history.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #136
Tivo II Jack

Hdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfun4u View Post
now ive just got to figure out whats the biggest hdd i can install in that baby!
It comes with a 3TB drive and I am pretty sure that is the largest it takes.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #137
Tivo II Jack

Quote:

Also how much does an extended warranty cost? and how many years?
I have 5 Tivos, a Sony S1, two S2 and two S3. The S1 is 16 years old but has been inactive for at least 10 years. The two S3's are now in use and are about 4 years old. The two S2's are about 10 years old, one active and one not. Both still work and I installed larger drives in all four S2's and 3's. They all still work. The only problem I ever had was a drive went bad on an S2. I just replaced that drive.

Extended warranty...we don't need no stinkin extended warranties.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #138
celtic pride

I guess i'm paranoid,i worry to much that if i spend close to a $1000.00 it might go bad and i'll be out the money.a month ago my onkyo av receiver went bad 2 months after the regular warranty had expired!,Luckily for me i had purchased an extended warranty or i would be out $700.00!,and this was the second onkyo that went bad on me, the first one i bought in 2009 also went bad but i had the extended warranty on that one also and they refunded my money when they couldnt get parts fot it! So you can see why i'm paraniod about buying electronics without an extended warranty.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #139
weldon

I got this offer by email, and the timing couldn't be better. I've got a premiere now (3 years on monthly), and I think I'll transfer service to the Roamio Pro and then lifetime the premiere for $99 and lifetime the Roamio for $399. Should be perfect.

I'm tempted by the TiVo mini offer, but I think I'll just keep the Premiere instead. It can do everything the mini can do, right?
weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #140
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
a month ago my onkyo av receiver went bad 2 months after the regular warranty had expired!,Luckily for me i had purchased an extended warranty or i would be out $700.00!,and this was the second onkyo that went bad on me, the first one i bought in 2009 also went bad but i had the extended warranty on that one also and they refunded my money when they couldnt get parts fot it! So you can see why i'm paraniod about buying electronics without an extended warranty.
It appears to me that you don't have a problem requiring you to buy extended warranties, just better purchases. I never heard of Onkyo, but I would change brands ASAP. Why did you even buy the second one after your experience with the first? What kind of manufacturer can't get new parts for something they made only 2 or 3 years earlier?

I don't remember the source now, but I have NEVER bought an extended warranty on anything and I have never been sorry. That is because I read something from a trusted source YEARS ago that recommended against EW's and also gave a list of reasons why. I didn't save it, but I remember it all sounded so very logical.

It may have been Consumer Reports, but I'm not even close to sure.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #141
rotorglow

Quote:
They transferred my low MSD rate to the new PRO. It *did* take some effort, but TiVo came through in the end. The AP offer is being sold as a "bundle" with an agreement to a new sub service.
What kind of effort? Calling back later? Magic words?

I just called to transfer the balance of my current annual service ($129/year on a Tivo HD) using my advisory panel code, and it didn't work. The CSR offered me the usual $325 for an upgrade/transfer to Plus, or $475 for Pro.

I'm rethinking the numbers and may try again. Or I may not.
rotorglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #142
styre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I believe your mistaken about full-price lifetime on this deal. Folks are reporting getting MSD.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...35#post9980235
MSD does not work for me with the advisory panel discount. I believe the quoted above report worked because there was also a mini in the order with lifetime. I do not have a need for mini.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #143
mattack

Quote:
I don't resell my units. They are either donated or given to family members. Honestly, it just doesn't work for us.
So that's a great gift -- Here, congrats, here's a "gift" you have to now pay $15/month or $499 for...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #144
jackief

Hey everyone, I know this is an extreme long shot, but if anyone still has an extra code around, I would appreciate your consideration. I am interested in another mini. Does anyone know if the code can be used for two separate transactions? I see people buying a roamio, I wonder if it could be used after for a mini? I am willing to test out this theory if anyone has a code which has been used for a roamio only.

Jackie
jackief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #145
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
Exactly, the tech support here was always excellent, so excellent that it quickly transformed me from a 'newbie' almost into the 'go to guy'. The hardware upgrades were always easy, the support came in when you had to install the Tivo software. You had to buy and install programs like Instant Cake to transfer the software from the original drive to the upgraded drive and there were different versions of Instant Cake for different Tivo models

Now replacing a drive and the software has gotten so easy, anyone can do it. That is why I am surprised nobody is even talking about it.

OK, I stopped writing and did the math. Using the Advisory Panel offer, I added the Pro to my cart with lifetime and then did the same with the Plus. The Pro will cost me $979.85 and the Plus $870.87. That is a savings of $108.88 and buying a new 3TB drive will cost about $130.

I then logged out and checked the prices again with no offers. The Pro was $1099.98 and the Plus was $899.98, a difference of $200, but this would be for a first time buyer who could upgrade the Plus and save about $70. Of course all of us here are already owners and have access to various offers, so the once lucrative practice of self upgrading seems to be history.
Yes, there was always great support here

Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #146
Nailz

Big Grin Newbie would like a discount code

I am a newbie to the TiVo community, but not to AV. I have been researching an acceptable solution for my needs. I currently have Directv with HD DVR and two HD receivers. I am looking to reduce costs and improve service. The 99.9% reliability claimed by Directv is just not true. Going with a cable bundle TV, internet & phone will save me some money verses the unbundled solution I have now.

I have looked at several hardware configurations that have different advantages & drawbacks. Ceton/HTPC/Xbox360, Silicondust/XBMC/Raspberry Pi/ and TiVo Roamio Plus/Tivo Mini.

I have come to the conclusion that the TiVo Roamio Plus/TiVo Mini x 2 is the solution that meets most of my requirements and may meet all in the future (Amazon Prime).

The cost is now what is causing me pain right now. On the TiVo website I can put these items together and the cost adds up quickly using round numbers.
TiVo Roamio Plus + Lifetime = $900
TiVo Mini + Lifetime = $250
Hardware Total = $1400

Given what I have read about this special offer it make the cost more reasonable.
TiVo Roamio Plus + Lifetime = $700 (Unit discount & MSD discount)
TiVo Mini + Lifetime = $175
Hardware Total = $1125
It would be even better if the discount works for both Mini's.

So if someone is not going to use their code and is willing to help out a TiVo newbie I would really appreciate it!

Thanks, Curtis
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #147
Nailz

Quote:
It appears to me that you don't have a problem requiring you to buy extended warranties, just better purchases. I never heard of Onkyo, but I would change brands ASAP. Why did you even buy the second one after your experience with the first? What kind of manufacturer can't get new parts for something they made only 2 or 3 years earlier?

I don't remember the source now, but I have NEVER bought an extended warranty on anything and I have never been sorry. That is because I read something from a trusted source YEARS ago that recommended against EW's and also gave a list of reasons why. I didn't save it, but I remember it all sounded so very logical.

I have never purchase an extended warranty, based on possibly the same source.

I will however say that I had the same issues with Onkyo. The problem was the HDMI circuit board in the unit. My top of the line 2009 unit failed after the warranty expired. I must give kudo's to Onkyo. They replaced my 2009 with a top of the line 2010. I have been trouble free since and have been a loyal customer for 10 years. I was not happy with the failure, but I am pleased with how Onkyo stood behind their product in my case. No, I do not work for Onkyo.

Curtis
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #148
jrtroo
User

Quote:

Yes, CS supports that position. As do I, it is expensive insurance and is sold for one reason only, profit to the seller. If you choose to never use it, then you keep that profit yourself as over the course of all purchases these are obviously used seldomly.

However, the folks here, generally, love to purchase EWs, despite the logic of them. In a similar way, many pay Tivo monthly service for years not realizing the benefit of lifetime service. These folks are probably subsidizing my fees, so I should probably shut up now.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #149
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
I would also be interested in the offer. I fill out all the Advisory surveys, though not always the first day. If someone has one I would greatly appreciate a PM with the code for a mini to go with my Roamio plus I bought about a week ago. Thanks!
I found an offer from a friend who isn't using it.

The Lifetime service on the mini does not qualify for any discounts, correct? It is $149 regardless of how many active TiVos I have. I guess the theory on that is you have to have a TiVo to use a mini so giving a discount doesn't really make sense since everyone would qualify.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #150
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
I found an offer from a friend who isn't using it.

The Lifetime service on the mini does not qualify for any discounts, correct? It is $149 regardless of how many active TiVos I have. I guess the theory on that is you have to have a TiVo to use a mini so giving a discount doesn't really make sense since everyone would qualify.
Correct. Mini Lifetime is $149 regardless. Multi-Service Discount is assumed.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote