TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #91
LoREvanescence

I got the email.

It's tempting, but I just can't do it at this time. I had to buy a new iMac Shortly after Christmas to replace my HP Laptop, and I'm done with any major purchases for a few months.

I'm hoping they bring this deal back in like 6 months.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #92
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I got the offer a few days ago. I'm gonna give them a call and try to transfer lifetime from my HD to the Pro.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #93
rlcarr

I'm a bit confused.

Other than the opportunity to get a discounted mini (which I am not interested in), how is this better than the deal then the promo that's been around since November and was reiterated in the flyer a lot of people got?

For a Roamio Pro, that flyer said $900 for Roamio Pro + Lifetime (regular price $1100) which assumes full-price Lifetime.

This deal is $200 off a Roamio Pro, which means the hardware is $400 instead of $600. But then full-price lifetime is $500 which takes you to the same $900.

I'm eligible for MSD, but that would reduce lifetime to $400 in both cases, giving a final cost of $800 in both cases.

So what's the big deal about this deal? It doesn't seem any different from the ongoing promo for everyone (again, unless you're interested in a discounted Mini).

What am I missing?
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #94
emax

Same here, sadly i am active member of the advisory panel but i did not get it.
I would be so interested in buying a TIVO mini, if anybody wants to share to code it would be greatly appreciated?

thank you!
emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #95
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
I am an Advisor but didn't get the offer. If anyone's passing on their promo code offer, I would love to get a Mini. Thanks a lot.
Maybe try calling to see if your eligible for the deal. I wasn't emailed the earlier $100 off deal, but was able to call in and get it. Let us know
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #96
dbenrosen

I would also be interested in the offer. I fill out all the Advisory surveys, though not always the first day. If someone has one I would greatly appreciate a PM with the code for a mini to go with my Roamio plus I bought about a week ago. Thanks!
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #97
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
I'm a bit confused.

Other than the opportunity to get a discounted mini (which I am not interested in), how is this better than the deal then the promo that's been around since November and was reiterated in the flyer a lot of people got?

For a Roamio Pro, that flyer said $900 for Roamio Pro + Lifetime (regular price $1100) which assumes full-price Lifetime.

This deal is $200 off a Roamio Pro, which means the hardware is $400 instead of $600. But then full-price lifetime is $500 which takes you to the same $900.

I'm eligible for MSD, but that would reduce lifetime to $400 in both cases, giving a final cost of $800 in both cases.

So what's the big deal about this deal? It doesn't seem any different from the ongoing promo for everyone (again, unless you're interested in a discounted Mini).

What am I missing?
I believe your mistaken about full-price lifetime on this deal. Folks are reporting getting MSD.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...35#post9980235
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #98
dbattaglia001

Quote:
I'm a bit confused.

What am I missing?
The lifetime under MSD or whatever they call multiservice discount has seeminly always been for $100 off. So the emails from november wasn't really a $200 off offer on the Pro, it was only $100 off promo. And presumably if you are a Advisory panel participant you already have a TiVo and thus would qualify for MSD. 400 + 400 = 800.
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #99
rlcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
The lifetime under MSD or whatever they call multiservice discount has seeminly always been for $100 off. So the emails from november wasn't really a $200 off offer on the Pro, it was only $100 off promo. And presumably if you are a Advisory panel participant you already have a TiVo and thus would qualify for MSD. 400 + 400 = 800.
I do qualify for MSD, so the advisor deal for me would indeed be $800.

But since I qualify for MSD isn't the other deal (the November one that's still going/has been renewed) also $800? Or is that deal Pro+Lifetime for $900 regardless of your MSD eligibility?
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #100
KevinG

Count me in as a member of the panel who hasn't gotten the email. I'm happy to have one PM'd to me by someone who doesn't plan on taking advantage of theirs.

Thanks in advance!
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #101
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Yeah, I'm really frustrated that I lost mine. I had an S2 with lifetime and an S3 that was paying the cheap MSD. And the S2 died... and I didn't fix it. And after being dead for like 6 months, they declared it dead and up'd my S3 to full price. I was super-sad. At the time though, I didn't have any other option that made sense unless I could fix the S2 and the S2 was unusable anyways because my cable company was phasing out digital channels.
I can see why you'd be frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
I got the email.

It's tempting, but I just can't do it at this time. I had to buy a new iMac Shortly after Christmas to replace my HP Laptop, and I'm done with any major purchases for a few months.

I'm hoping they bring this deal back in like 6 months.
I was a HP Laptop lonnnng time customer until last month. I had a new HP built to my specs and when it arrived, I was very disappointed. It was awful. So after a few days, I returned it for a full refund. I went with ASUS two weeks ago and am very satisfied.

I agree that the timing of the email is harsh (lol!) Right after the holidays? But it will work out for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
I got the offer a few days ago. I'm gonna give them a call and try to transfer lifetime from my HD to the Pro.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Let us know how that goes... would be interested to hear.

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #102
Ziggie

Quote:
I do qualify for MSD, so the advisor deal for me would indeed be $800.

But since I qualify for MSD isn't the other deal (the November one that's still going/has been renewed) also $800? Or is that deal Pro+Lifetime for $900 regardless of your MSD eligibility?
The November deal was a PRO for $499.99

The AP deal is a PRO for $399.99

The email itself says "If you've been thinking about upgrading to TiVo Roamio, you won't find a better deal right now." Therefore, I would guess the AP offer is the best deal out there... right now.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #103
acroswel

l would also be interested in a code if anyone isn't using one (acroswel@rocketmail.com)
acroswel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #104
Ziggie

Just gone done ordering ~ all set, ready to go!

Went with the PRO and a mini. Should be shipped out sometime today.

Is anyone else who got the letter still undecided?

Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #105
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Compared to other TiVos, yes. It is what the Premiere SHOULD have been all along. It is amazingly faster and a much better overall experience than any TiVo before it (and I have had them all).

Is it perfect? Hell no. I am not happy at losing OTA capabilities on the Pro. As for software- still no cloud backup for settings. No custom folders. REALLY TIRED of waiting for Android streaming support....
+1, etc.

Great product, I love mine (3 base models). But, they truly are what the Premieres should have been all-along, IMNSHO.

IMNSHO, it's not some miraculous, innovative, wonder-product. It's just what Premiere owners have always wished/yearned for (YMMV, on thinking like this in public, since the fanboys will defend TiVo, no matter what).

I love my base Roamios. That still doesn't make everything right, or excuse TiVo for the abomination called the Premiere, in my book. That's my opinion, and how I feel. I have every right to feel this way, and express that I do.

I have a feeling as the Roamio line matures, they will become something the Premieres never were off-label promoted as, on-label promoted as, and could never have the processing power to be. When that day comes, I will not hesitate to alter how I feel on the matter.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJimmy View Post
I called TiVo to find out if can take advantage of this promo and transfer my grandfathered MSD of $6.95/month from an S2. They will allow it and the Pro for $399.
Do you think this will be an easy thing for anyone to pull off or did you just win CSR roulette?

This would be great for me, since this is replacing a $6.95 per month S3.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #107
elkyss
unknown host

I have been on the Advisory panel as long as I can remember, and no email for me either.

Since I have already bought a Plus and Mini (lifetime on both) in the last month, maybe TiVo figured the new discount would only piss me off.

They would be right.
elkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #108
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
Is anyone else who got the letter still undecided?
I don't know that I'd say I'm undecided. I don't plan to jump on the deal but who knows what might change in the next week. I'll keep the promo code in case one of our TiVos dies or should my wife decide she can't live with a 2 turner Premiere.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #109
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
Do you think this will be an easy thing for anyone to pull off or did you just win CSR roulette?

I did the same thing with my $6.95 rate I had on my Premiere. They transferred it to a Roamio Basic. I think someone mentioned previously that the box needs to have had the service for at least three years for them to transfer it. Mine was on a launch Premiere so I had that over 3.5 years when I did the transfer in November.

And I'm another person who did not get this advisory Panel offer.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #110
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
with service as well? or just the hardware? i cant seem to purchase it without service.

i would like to just get the hardware without service with the code.
Sorry, the $43 I paid includes one month of service at $5.99. I plan on getting lifetime next month or maybe in March.

You cannot by any TiVo device without some kind of service attached when you buy directly from TiVo.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #111
tbielowicz

I have been on the panel for 4+ years and always participate. No coupon code for me. But it is probably since I have a Roamio and Mini's already.

Still it would have been nice to be included...are you listening Tivo???
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #112
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkyss View Post
I have been on the Advisory panel as long as I can remember, and no email for me either.

Since I have already bought a Plus and Mini (lifetime on both) in the last month, maybe TiVo figured the new discount would only piss me off.

They would be right.
I ended up buying a Pro on the "transfer your service and save $100 off a Pro" last month, though that Pro ended up being defective and I picked up its replacement from Amazon when they had their pricing drop almost two weeks ago and got it for $431.

That might be why I didn't get the Advisory upgrade offer, since I bought a Pro last month.

I still hope I get one so I can pick up a Mini for $25 + tax (+ shipping), though if not, maybe I can rely on the kindness of fellow Tivocommunity users to provide one for me.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #113
HenryFarpolo

I have no expectation of anything as a result of participation on the panel and certainly do not begrudge those who received this offer.

Like a number of other posters, I have been an active participant for several years and did not receive the offer. I would be satisfied if the e-mail had said it was a random selection.

If it wasn't random selection, I find myself asking what criteria was used for the offer. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, just a nagging question.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #114

Yeah, I think I lost the CSR Roulette.

At first she was acting like it was no problem to give me the $6.95 rate on a Pro with the offer, and then she asked it I would hold for a second and then she came back and said that the email offer was only for people activating full service and that it would not work. She said she could offer me a Pro for $477 and a Mini for $49 and transfer my $6.95 rate to that. I waffled a bit and she would not budge. I then asked if I could buy just the Pro for $477 and use the coupon code for the mini to get it at $25 and she said I could not and started talking in circles so I gave up on the call and said I would have to think about it.

This is one of the most frustrating parts of being a TiVo user. This stuff gets way too complicated. Especially with the plans... there should be one easy (and lower) price. Always having to haggle and try different CSRs is unbelievably annoying.

I know that TiVo isn't a profitable company, and they need to squeeze money from anywhere they can, but I've always considered the monthly plans to be a bit of a joke. What the hell are we really paying for anyway? Guide data. That's the only real tangible monthly service they are providing. Why should I have to pay for guide data on each of my boxes separately? Why should I have to pay them $400 bucks for a new box to have acess to the guide data I've already paid for? Why on earth am I paying a monthly fee for the Mini when it doesn't even need guide data? It just doesn't make sense.

I don't want to derail the thread, I'm just grumbling.

Last edited by ort : 01-23-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #115
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkyss View Post

They would be right.
I was tempted to buy a PRO when I got the offer last month as well. Then, as I sat thinking about it, I decided against it. Fortunately, the AP email came and convinced me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
I don't know that I'd say I'm undecided. I don't plan to jump on the deal but who knows what might change in the next week. I'll keep the promo code in case one of our TiVos dies or should my wife decide she can't live with a 2 turner Premiere.
Just write yourself a reminder note that the deal expires in 8 days. Not a lot of wiggle room.

Quote:

------------------------------------------

Yeah, I think I lost the CSR Roulette.

At first she was acting like it was no problem to give me the $6.95 rate on a Pro with the offer, and then she asked it I would hold for a second and then she came back and said that the email offer was only for people activating full service and that it would not work. She said she could offer me a Pro for $477 and a Mini for $49 and transfer my $6.95 rate to that. I waffled a bit and she would not budge. I then asked if I could buy just the Pro for $477 and use the coupon code for the mini to get it at $25 and she said I could not and started talking in circles so I gave up on the call and said I would have to think about it.

This is one of the most frustrating parts of being a TiVo user. This stuff gets way too complicated. Especially with the plans... there should be one easy (and lower) price. Always having to haggle and try different CSRs is unbelievably annoying.

I know that TiVo isn't a profitable company, and they need to squeeze money from anywhere they can, but I've always considered the monthly plans to be a bit of a joke. What the hell are we really paying for anyway? Guide data. That's the only real tangible monthly service they are providing. Why should I have to pay for guide data on each of my boxes separately? Why should I have to pay them $400 bucks for a new box to have acess to the guide data I've already paid for? Why on earth am I paying a monthly fee for the Mini when it doesn't even need guide data? It just doesn't make sense.

I don't want to derail the thread, I'm just grumbling.
They transferred my low MSD rate to the new PRO. It *did* take some effort, but TiVo came through in the end. The AP offer is being sold as a "bundle" with an agreement to a new sub service.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #116

I'm going to try again later. I'll try being pushier.

What tactic worked for you?

I think they're on the verge of a price drop for all of these things anyway. You can usually tell when a company is close to one because you'll start seeing all these great sales pop up... and then a month later those sale prices turn into the regular prices.

Last edited by ort : 01-23-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #117
Ziggie

Quote:
I'm going to try again later. I'll try being pushier.

What tactic worked for you?

I think they're on the verge of a price drop for all of these things anyway. You can usually tell when a company is close to one because you'll start seeing all these great sales pop up... and then a month later those sale prices turn into the regular prices.
I had a female rep and we hit it off from the first word The other thing I did was call very early... before anyone had time to get crabby lol

Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #118
sakura panda
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
I have no expectation of anything as a result of participation on the panel and certainly do not begrudge those who received this offer.

Like a number of other posters, I have been an active participant for several years and did not receive the offer. I would be satisfied if the e-mail had said it was a random selection.

If it wasn't random selection, I find myself asking what criteria was used for the offer. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, just a nagging question.
From what everyone is posting, I'm guessing they are trying to get people who do not have the current hardware to upgrade. I'm on the advisory panel and I got the offer. My current active TiVos are two S2 receivers (one lifetime, one monthly, IR'd with a DirecTV receiver) and one dual tuner Premier (HD antenna).

I hadn't considered it before, but I guess I won't be a good candidate for the advisory panel once the Premiere is phased out. I don't recall any questions that I couldn't answer, since I actively use the service, but at some point, I expect my lack of newer hardware is going to get me kicked off of the advisory panel. (I'm holding out for satellite support, although I don't actually expect it to happen.)
Old 01-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #119
joestan

I took advantage of this offer and ordered the pro with lifetime. This is the first TIVO that I have ordered from TIVO it self the others where from BB. When my pro arrives will it be activated and on my account?
joestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #120
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura panda View Post
From what everyone is posting, I'm guessing they are trying to get people who do not have the current hardware to upgrade. I'm on the advisory panel and I got the offer. My current active TiVos are two S2 receivers (one lifetime, one monthly, IR'd with a DirecTV receiver) and one dual tuner Premier (HD antenna).

I hadn't considered it before, but I guess I won't be a good candidate for the advisory panel once the Premiere is phased out. I don't recall any questions that I couldn't answer, since I actively use the service, but at some point, I expect my lack of newer hardware is going to get me kicked off of the advisory panel. (I'm holding out for satellite support, although I don't actually expect it to happen.)
Why would you feel your equipment would get you removed? The beta/hardware panel (different from the AP), uses customers with all types of equipment. When I was first selected for that, I was running the oldest equipment Tivo had at the time. We helped them develop "Kid Zone".