TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #61
dbattaglia001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtivo View Post
I received both the email and a flyer from Tivo in the mail.

From the flyer I can get the TiVo Roamio + Lifetime for $574.99.

From the Tivo web site with the promo code from the advisors panel
I can get the same (includes Multi-service discount) for $549.98.
I did get the flyer today and it's the same old offer they emailed in November.

The advisory panel info I see others posting, For base model roamio you do no better than what you'd pay at amazon. The advisory panel promo is really beneficial if you get the pro, as it is 400 + service vs best price I can get otherwise is $500. So maybe I will hold out for now until the pro can be obtained by me for 400. Unless of course you want to donate the advisory panel promo code to me!!!
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #62
dbattaglia001

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
Anyone try to price match the mini at Best Buy? I have some rewards coming my way and would be interested in that deal with my rewards.

Hopefully I will get that offer soon because I am in the market for a mini.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post
I noticed that I was the sent the offer just after I filled out the January TiVo Advisory Survey. That might have something to do with it if haven't received the offer and haven't yet filled out the January survey.
I can't find January advisory survey in my email...last one I got and filled out was December. D'oh!
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #63
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I remember the email saying there was a limited number. I doubt every Advisor will get one.

Don't know what I'm going to do yet. If I don't use it, I'll post back here before it expires and any fellow Advisors who haven't received one can fight over it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #64
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
Are you happy with your Pro?
Compared to other TiVos, yes. It is what the Premiere SHOULD have been all along. It is amazingly faster and a much better overall experience than any TiVo before it (and I have had them all).

Is it perfect? Hell no. I am not happy at losing OTA capabilities on the Pro. As for software- still no cloud backup for settings. No custom folders. REALLY TIRED of waiting for Android streaming support....

Last edited by crxssi : 01-23-2014 at 02:32 AM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 AM   #65
biosehnsucht

I received the email, will definitely get the mini at the steal of $25, but have been waffling last few hours on getting a Roamio Pro vs Plus vs just making do with my Premiere XL4 (and eventual tuner starvation since we frequently have 4 shows recording at once already...).

Finally decided since the difference in Roamios was just the HDD, to check pricing of that vs the (after discount) pricing of the Roamios ... turns out where normally getting the Plus and upgrading it is the better option, with the coupon code it's cheaper to just buy the Pro than to buy a Plus and a 3TB drive separately.

So now I'm just back to waffling on spending <$50 (mini) vs <$500 (mini + roamio pro)...
biosehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:54 AM   #66
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post

...although I was not 100% perfect in filling out all the surveys).
Maybe that is the key. I have filled out and returned every single survey I received. I also make it crystal clear that I think most surveys they send are total BS designed to help them improve their marketing and rarely are they used to get suggestions about improving Tivo. I also always tell them that I am entering the drawing only because I want them to know who did the survey.

If regular participation is the key, how you respond does not seem to change that.

Tivo used to show an interest in improving but not any more. Maybe 10 years ago, long before there was an Advisory Panel they used to put out general surveys that were always aimed at improving Tivo. At one time, when you deleted a recording, it was just gone forever, there was no Recently Deleted option. The addition of that was GREAT and a direct result of a question in a general survey.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 AM   #67
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Just speaking for myself, I've never dropped in a larger drive. I don't open the units but just use them as I bought them.
I saw only one person here say they installed their own larger drive and find that surprising. Just 3 or 4 years ago when I bought my last two Series 3, we were ALL buying the units with lowest capacity and putting our own drives in to increase capacity.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:06 AM   #68
realfun4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanti View Post
Nope.

I considered the Mini too. The biggest limitation is that it only works with 4+ tuner Tivos. Both of my Premieres are 2-tuner, so I'd only ever be able to use it with the Roamio.
I was told that it will work with a Premier 2 Tuner but you loose one of the tuners
Series2 ST HD upgraded
2 x Humax Series2 DVR 80 hr with DVD Writer
realfun4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:29 AM   #69
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Anyone have an extra advisory panel code they don't plan on using? I'd love to order a mini and a roamio pro both with lifetime. Please pm me if you don't mind. I'll modify this post once I recieve one to let the community know all set. If by chance I get an extra code I'll be sure to get them into those hands that will use them. Thanks!!!
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #70
realfun4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I remember the email saying there was a limited number. I doubt every Advisor will get one.

I ordered mine on the 21st and its being delivered on the 25th!

i went for the pro version and a mini both with lifetime

saved almost $400!!!

now ive just got to figure out whats the biggest hdd i can install in that baby!
Series2 ST HD upgraded
2 x Humax Series2 DVR 80 hr with DVD Writer
realfun4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #71
christoman

Been on the panel for years, but no email. If anyone has an extra code, I would be very grateful for it. Thank you.
christoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #72
True Colors

If anyone has a code that you are not planning to use then it would be greatly appreciated if you send it to me.

If anyone sends me a code then I will delete or edit this post.

Thanks,

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #73
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

what is interesting, is that NOBODY has posted all the exact details of the "deal" yet.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #74
TiVoJimmy

I called TiVo to find out if can take advantage of this promo and transfer my grandfathered MSD of $6.95/month from an S2. They will allow it and the Pro for $399.
TiVoJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #75
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
what is interesting, is that NOBODY has posted all the exact details of the "deal" yet.
I think most have schussed out the main details, but just in case, here's the e-mail....

Attached Images
File Type: png tivo offer.PNG (55.4 KB, 780 views)

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #76
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Just curious.. did anyone here receive an offer to purchase a new Roamio at a discounted price because they are members of the "advisory panel" ?

Thanks for letting me know...
I did though no money in the time frame. It wasn't really that great a deal anyhow basically it was an offer for $50 off the Roamio and full rate on lifetime. Since I have two Premieres one with lifetime already the offer wasn't very intriguing
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #77
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The fact that you don't hold onto the unit long makes lifetime EVEN MORE beneficial, since it GREATLY increases the resale value.
I don't resell my units. They are either donated or given to family members. Honestly, it just doesn't work for us.

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #78
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
I got the email and I bought a TiVo mini for $42 shipped, fantastic deal!
with service as well? or just the hardware? i cant seem to purchase it without service.

i would like to just get the hardware without service with the code.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #79
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
I did get the flyer today and it's the same old offer they emailed in November.
Yes, it is. It's the same offer that was emailed in November, and then again weeks later. We received the colorful bi-fold flyer right after New Year's. It's a good deal, just not as good as the AP offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Compared to other TiVos, yes. It is what the Premiere SHOULD have been all along. It is amazingly faster and a much better overall experience than any TiVo before it (and I have had them all).

Is it perfect? Hell no. I am not happy at losing OTA capabilities on the Pro. As for software- still no cloud backup for settings. No custom folders. REALLY TIRED of waiting for Android streaming support....
Thanks crxssi "Fast" is always a great perk I wish they'd incorporate cloud back-up... even if we had to pay for it (a minimal charge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
I saw only one person here say they installed their own larger drive and find that surprising. Just 3 or 4 years ago when I bought my last two Series 3, we were ALL buying the units with lowest capacity and putting our own drives in to increase capacity.
Yep! This forum used to be all about replacing hard drives! There was lots of tech support from members and ideas on what was best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJimmy View Post
I called TiVo to find out if can take advantage of this promo and transfer my grandfathered MSD of $6.95/month from an S2. They will allow it and the Pro for $399.
*This* is why we don't do lifetime We keep transfering our grandfathered MSD as well. We don't hold onto our units for more than 2 years (on the average), so it works well for us.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #80
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
I did though no money in the time frame. It wasn't really that great a deal anyhow basically it was an offer for $50 off the Roamio and full rate on lifetime. Since I have two Premieres one with lifetime already the offer wasn't very intriguing
I think the PRO offer is quite good but I can see why it may not be right for you.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #81
Grakthis

Quote:
I got very lucky today by stumbling onto this discussion right after I read the Advisory Panel (AP) email. I was instantly tempted to pull the trigger but decided to check here first

I see many of you discussing Roamio model choices and that puzzles me. I currently have 5 Tivo units with three in service. They are 2 Series 3 with lifetime and one series 2 Toshiba Unit with a DVD player. I keep the Toshiba around just to have access to TW On Demand which is not available with the Cable Cards in the series 3.

My first Tivo is a Sony series 1 that still works some 16 years later. My 2 series 2 and 2 series 3 were bought in pairs and were chosen with advice I received right here. I have always bought the lowest capacity units and then instantly installed my own larger drives to get maximum capacity.

I haven't seen a single mention of that here today. Why pay $400 (with AP offer) when with the same offer, I can buy a Roamio for $150 or a Plus for $200 (to get 6 tuners) and then drop in a larger drive myself?

Has something changed in the land of Tivo thatI am not aware of?
My understanding is they actually made it EASIER to upgrade the drive by having the OS on solid state outside of the HD.

The reason you buy the Plus over the basic is because the Plus has the streaming built in and the basic doesn't (in addition to what you said about the 6 tuners). I can't see a reason to buy the Pro over the Plus except "I don't know/don't want the hassle of upgrading the HD."
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #82
Grakthis

Quote:
I disagree with this. I don't hold onto the unit long enough for a lifetime plan to be beneficial.
So, the breakeven, as I posted, is around 26-27 months (assuming you have a MSD for the lifetime but would be replacing your lone unit otherwise so would pay full price).

I think 2 years is a no-brainer for a TiVo. The shortest I've used a single model was 2 years, and that's the premiere I am replacing this week. Other than that premiere, I used my S2 for 6 years and my S3 for 8 years and the S3 is still fully functional (as is the premiere).

But I agree, that 26-27 months is iffier. It's like, that's the line. 2 years. Get it under 2-years and EVERYONE buys lifetime. At 2 years? It's going to go either way. Just over 2-years? well, now I have to REALLY be a TiVo fan to justify that.

The premiere, felt to me, like an "incremental upgrade" over the S3. It didn't feel substantial enough for a lifetime, so i didn't. and I am glad I didn't. Because I am scrapping it exactly 2 years later. But the Roamio feels like a MAJOR step. Something that is future proof enough to ride out technology changes for a good 4-5 years. So I lifetimed it.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #83
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post
I noticed that I was the sent the offer just after I filled out the January TiVo Advisory Survey. That might have something to do with it if haven't received the offer and haven't yet filled out the January survey.
I got the offer before I filled out the January survey.

if i were guessing, maybe the offer went out to people who have been a on the panel for X amount of time? Or who have filled out Y surveys?

Or maybe it went out only to people who have HD or older boxes still active?

Or maybe it went out to only people who are advisers AND longtime subscribers (I've had a TiVo since 2002)? Or maybe it went out only to people who are paying monthly right now?

Or maybe it's just going out in waves so they don't overload their inventory? I mean, this is clearly prompting a huge amount of purchases.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #84
Grakthis

Quote:
Maybe that is the key. I have filled out and returned every single survey I received. I also make it crystal clear that I think most surveys they send are total BS designed to help them improve their marketing and rarely are they used to get suggestions about improving Tivo. I also always tell them that I am entering the drawing only because I want them to know who did the survey.

If regular participation is the key, how you respond does not seem to change that.

Tivo used to show an interest in improving but not any more. Maybe 10 years ago, long before there was an Advisory Panel they used to put out general surveys that were always aimed at improving Tivo. At one time, when you deleted a recording, it was just gone forever, there was no Recently Deleted option. The addition of that was GREAT and a direct result of a question in a general survey.
You're saying, the Roamio is no improvement over the Premiere? Is that your assertion? Or are you just angry and you want to rant?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #85
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
You're talking about a different deal.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #86
Grakthis

Quote:
*This* is why we don't do lifetime We keep transfering our grandfathered MSD as well. We don't hold onto our units for more than 2 years (on the average), so it works well for us.
Yeah, I'm really frustrated that I lost mine. I had an S2 with lifetime and an S3 that was paying the cheap MSD. And the S2 died... and I didn't fix it. And after being dead for like 6 months, they declared it dead and up'd my S3 to full price. I was super-sad. At the time though, I didn't have any other option that made sense unless I could fix the S2 and the S2 was unusable anyways because my cable company was phasing out digital channels.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #87
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Or maybe it's just going out in waves so they don't overload their inventory? I mean, this is clearly prompting a huge amount of purchases.
It'll be a nice increase in subs before their end of fiscal quarter. This promo ending Jan 31 doesn't seem to be a coincidence.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #88
tuxcv

Has yours shipped yet?

I got the offer and ordered the pro early yesterday (9 pst). But it has not shipped yet. TIVO web site states the if orders are placed before 11 am they ship the same day.
tuxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #89
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxcv View Post
I got the offer and ordered the pro early yesterday (9 pst). But it has not shipped yet. TIVO web site states the if orders are placed before 11 am they ship the same day.
I ordered around 9AM ish EST and it shipped already. Will be delivered on Mon.

That should give you an idea of how high the demand was, if they couldn't get everything shipped the same day.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #90
BigJimOutlaw

I am an Advisor but didn't get the offer. If anyone's passing on their promo code offer, I would love to get a Mini. Thanks a lot.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote