TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #31
Ziggie
Registered User
 
Ziggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
If it's anything like their reseller codes, unique one-time codes are indeed generated. But they can be used OR given away.
Many people know much more about this stuff than I do.

All I know is when I called this morning, the TiVo rep double ck'd to see that I was indeed on the advisory panel. I'm not saying this will happen to everyone... just my experience when I contacted them at 7 am PST (I'm east coast).
__________________
"Words will always retain their power" ~ V

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #32
Ziggie
Registered User
 
Ziggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
And just to clarify... (direct quote)

Each promo code can only be used once and is good for only one Roamio DVR and/or one TiVo Mini. (You may purchase one DVR and one Mini using this code, but not two DVRs.)

__________________
"Words will always retain their power" ~ V

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #33
Old Hickory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20
I thought everyone was on the advisory panel.
Old Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #34
Philmatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 445
I got the email and I bought a TiVo mini for $42 shipped, fantastic deal!
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #35
Ziggie
Registered User
 
Ziggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
I got the email and I bought a TiVo mini for $42 shipped, fantastic deal!
They charged you for shipping?
__________________
"Words will always retain their power" ~ V

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #36
takeagabu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 75
Well, if everyone who asked above has gotten codes, I'd appreciate one too. I may even throw a couple redbox codes your way.
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #37
davezatz
Funkadelic
 
davezatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
All I know is when I called this morning, the TiVo rep double ck'd to see that I was indeed on the advisory panel. I'm not saying this will happen to everyone... just my experience when I contacted them at 7 am PST (I'm east coast).
Well the two emails that have been passed to me, with codes, direct you to drop the code into the tivo.com cart. Which is what I did - so far, so good. Assuming my order goes thru, I'll pay the other code and any others that come my way, forward.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #38
Ziggie
Registered User
 
Ziggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Well the two emails that have been passed to me, with codes, direct you to drop the code into the tivo.com cart. Which is what I did - so far, so good. Assuming my order goes thru, I'll pay the other code and any others that come my way, forward.
Sounds good!
__________________
"Words will always retain their power" ~ V

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #39
Ziggie
Registered User
 
Ziggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Well the two emails that have been passed to me, with codes, direct you to drop the code into the tivo.com cart. Which is what I did - so far, so good. Assuming my order goes thru, I'll pay the other code and any others that come my way, forward.
Dave, are they charging you for shipping?
__________________
"Words will always retain their power" ~ V

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #40
davezatz
Funkadelic
 
davezatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
Dave, are they charging you for shipping?
I ordered a Mini and standard shipping came up free. Expedited I think was $20. I'm in no rush.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #41
sakaike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Playa del Rey, CA
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Well the two emails that have been passed to me, with codes, direct you to drop the code into the tivo.com cart. Which is what I did - so far, so good. Assuming my order goes thru, I'll pay the other code and any others that come my way, forward.
I would love to use your second code, Dave, if you are successful in using the first one. Or a code from any other friendly board member willing to donate to this poor soul...
sakaike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #42
HenryFarpolo
Registered User
 
HenryFarpolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Andover Ma
Posts: 191
Never got the mail or e-mail. Wonder if they all went out at the same time.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #43
Ziggie
Registered User
 
Ziggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I ordered a Mini and standard shipping came up free. Expedited I think was $20. I'm in no rush.
Ah, ok.. thanks

Enjoy!
__________________
"Words will always retain their power" ~ V

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #44
Ziggie
Registered User
 
Ziggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
Never got the mail or e-mail. Wonder if they all went out at the same time.
I asked a few of my neighbors who are on the panel and they said they have not (yet?) received the letter.

I did read that some people got theirs last night... whereas I didn't get mine until this morning. Maybe they are rolling them out over a day or so? The offer ends in a few days, so I would think they'd have to do it soon.
__________________
"Words will always retain their power" ~ V

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #45
GriffithStrife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 92
I have been on the panel for 3 years no code for me but, if anyone has one and is not using I would happily take it. I would even beg if it helped.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #46
Ziggie
Registered User
 
Ziggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffithStrife View Post
I have been on the panel for 3 years no code for me but, if anyone has one and is not using I would happily take it. I would even beg if it helped.
Just curious, did you respond to every survey over the 3 year period? I mean.. every one?

(just wondering, don't answer if you don't feel comfortable)
__________________
"Words will always retain their power" ~ V

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #47
Philmatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
They charged you for shipping?
No, it's a quirk in the CA tax laws, they have to charge you tax on the full price before any discounts or subsidization. Anyone who's purchased a cell phone in CA knows this can put a huge dent in the wallet.


Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #48
GriffithStrife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 92
Yep everyone I even opted in to the subs about cars and booze. No need for sensitivity it's just generic questions although I appreciate.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #49
Tivo II Jack
Registered User
 
Tivo II Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 299
Roamio Models

I got very lucky today by stumbling onto this discussion right after I read the Advisory Panel (AP) email. I was instantly tempted to pull the trigger but decided to check here first

I see many of you discussing Roamio model choices and that puzzles me. I currently have 5 Tivo units with three in service. They are 2 Series 3 with lifetime and one series 2 Toshiba Unit with a DVD player. I keep the Toshiba around just to have access to TW On Demand which is not available with the Cable Cards in the series 3.

My first Tivo is a Sony series 1 that still works some 16 years later. My 2 series 2 and 2 series 3 were bought in pairs and were chosen with advice I received right here. I have always bought the lowest capacity units and then instantly installed my own larger drives to get maximum capacity.

I haven't seen a single mention of that here today. Why pay $400 (with AP offer) when with the same offer, I can buy a Roamio for $150 or a Plus for $200 (to get 6 tuners) and then drop in a larger drive myself?

Has something changed in the land of Tivo thatI am not aware of?
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #50
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User
 
crxssi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,694
I have been on the panel for years. Nothing.
And then I beta tested a really long/painful one for them and was told after there would be a gift. Nothing.

Color me disappointed (although I certainly could care less about a Roamio special offer. I already spent a fortune to buy a Roamio Pro with lifetime and extended service and then a Slide Pro.)
__________________
Series 1-> Series 2-> DirecTiVo HD-> TiVo HD-> Premiere -> Roamio Pro
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #51
kbmb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 718
Shame they don't give beta testers perks like this.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #52
tlc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 383
Can anyone point me to a list of things about the Roamio that make it better than the Premiere? Our Premieres and Stream are working well for us, but I'm tempted....
__________________
"You want lifetime. The other plans are for suckers who can't do math." -- Bigg
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #53
Davelnlr_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Little Rock
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Can anyone point me to a list of things about the Roamio that make it better than the Premiere? Our Premieres and Stream are working well for us, but I'm tempted....
Like you, I am happy with my Premiers. The standard Roamio has 4 tuners like the Premier4, however, it allows you to use it for OTA or cable, where the Premier4 is cable only.

The upper Roamio models offer 6 tuners instead of 4, and larger hard drives (up to 3TB).

The Roamios are supposed to be faster than the Premiers.

That is about it, as far as I know. Since I have no issues with the speed of my Premier4 or Premier2, and have already upgraded both to 2TB drives, I see no real reason to drop another $500-$800 on a Roamio for my viewing.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #54
OCSMITH
VAWHEELS
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Glen Allen, VA - Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Can anyone point me to a list of things about the Roamio that make it better than the Premiere? Our Premieres and Stream are working well for us, but I'm tempted....
"You want lifetime. The other plans are for suckers who can't do math." -- Bigg


This is true until they go out like Replay TV, I hope not.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/...exit-hardware/

Hope that was BS!!! https://twitter.com/davezatz/status/426176452912889856

Tivo has cable deals with cable operators but.....
__________________
1 TiVo Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Roamio
1 Premiere Elite (For Sale) Lifetimed
1 Premier XL (For Sale) Lifetimed
1 Tivo Mini
1 TiVo Stream (For Sale)
2 Roku 3
1 Apple TV 3

Last edited by OCSMITH : 01-22-2014 at 08:30 PM.
OCSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #55
Ziggie
Registered User
 
Ziggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
No, it's a quirk in the CA tax laws, they have to charge you tax on the full price before any discounts or subsidization. Anyone who's purchased a cell phone in CA knows this can put a huge dent in the wallet.

Thanks Phil! I see what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffithStrife View Post
Yep everyone I even opted in to the subs about cars and booze. No need for sensitivity it's just generic questions although I appreciate.
Thanks for your reply Griffith. Maybe you'll receive a letter tomorrow (fingers crossed!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
I got very lucky today by stumbling onto this discussion right after I read the Advisory Panel (AP) email. I was instantly tempted to pull the trigger but decided to check here first

I see many of you discussing Roamio model choices and that puzzles me. I currently have 5 Tivo units with three in service. They are 2 Series 3 with lifetime and one series 2 Toshiba Unit with a DVD player. I keep the Toshiba around just to have access to TW On Demand which is not available with the Cable Cards in the series 3.

My first Tivo is a Sony series 1 that still works some 16 years later. My 2 series 2 and 2 series 3 were bought in pairs and were chosen with advice I received right here. I have always bought the lowest capacity units and then instantly installed my own larger drives to get maximum capacity.

I haven't seen a single mention of that here today. Why pay $400 (with AP offer) when with the same offer, I can buy a Roamio for $150 or a Plus for $200 (to get 6 tuners) and then drop in a larger drive myself?

Has something changed in the land of Tivo thatI am not aware of?
Just speaking for myself, I've never dropped in a larger drive. I don't open the units but just use them as I bought them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I have been on the panel for years. Nothing.
And then I beta tested a really long/painful one for them and was told after there would be a gift. Nothing.

Color me disappointed (although I certainly could care less about a Roamio special offer. I already spent a fortune to buy a Roamio Pro with lifetime and extended service and then a Slide Pro.)
Are you happy with your Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSMITH View Post
"You want lifetime. The other plans are for suckers who can't do math." -- Bigg
I disagree with this. I don't hold onto the unit long enough for a lifetime plan to be beneficial.
__________________
"Words will always retain their power" ~ V

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #56
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Can anyone point me to a list of things about the Roamio that make it better than the Premiere? Our Premieres and Stream are working well for us, but I'm tempted....
1) more tuners
2) WAY faster, including downloads to computer

I still intend to get rid of my P4 (and keep a lifetime Tivo HD) partially to have the 'upgrade' make more sense.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #57
dbattaglia001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaike View Post
I would love to use your second code, Dave, if you are successful in using the first one. Or a code from any other friendly board member willing to donate to this poor soul...
Count me in at being forever grateful to anyone who has an offer to spare! In meantime, I will cross my fingers that I will get an email for my participation on advisory panel (although I was not 100% perfect in filling out all the surveys).
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #58
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
I disagree with this. I don't hold onto the unit long enough for a lifetime plan to be beneficial.
The fact that you don't hold onto the unit long makes lifetime EVEN MORE beneficial, since it GREATLY increases the resale value.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #59
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!
 
George Cifranci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Columbus, OH USA
Posts: 676
I noticed that I was the sent the offer just after I filled out the January TiVo Advisory Survey. That might have something to do with it if haven't received the offer and haven't yet filled out the January survey.
__________________
George

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #60
kbtivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15
I received both the email and a flyer from Tivo in the mail.

From the flyer I can get the TiVo Roamio + Lifetime for $574.99.

From the Tivo web site with the promo code from the advisors panel
I can get the same (includes Multi-service discount) for $549.98.
kbtivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |