TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #511
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
What? How did you get that. I would go for that deal in a second.
The CSR we had on the phone for over 3+ hours offered us a great deal on service as well (I think she was trying to appease us as we were having so much trouble!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701 View Post
Just to let folks know, I just used my advisors code today (2/4/2014) to order a new Tivo Roamio Plus and a Mini! So the codes still seem to work. I'm excited!
Great to hear this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
Swung by the local TWC office here in Huntersville a few minutes ago. Got a cable card & TA. Happened to mention I was headed next to get an HDMI cable. CSR reached under the counter & handed me a brand new one. I asked him what I owed for the cable. He said "free of charge. You are a good customer."

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I get things like this if I show cleavage and smile!! (lol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
I did. It said it was expired.
Aw, sorry it didn't work out

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #512
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydancer View Post
I ordered on the 24th, and got it a week later. But to be fair, I ordered late at night, so after business hours.

On another note, I was never able to get it to work consistently with wireless. I did two chats on Saturday and all they could suggest was rebooting the router. (Second guy said to reboot the modem too, but at that point my network-server-engineer husband said no, since everything else in the house - PCs, Macs, Linux VMs, Ipads, Iphones and two other tivos stacked under the Roamio, could all connect just fine.

On Sunday, once I got the dreaded C133 error for about the 10th time (started when I tried to transfer something from my desktop) I called support. They tried to be helpful, but said they couldn't exchange the box until we tried wired. I thought we couldn't do it, until I found the very long ethernet cable that I used to use for downloads in the living room (router is in the office and not on the side that shares the wall). Once we found both ends - since it's under furniture, storage boxes and various piece of Wii stuff (drums, balance board, etc), plugged it in, and I disabled the wireless it's been working fine.

The support supervisor also sent me a Moca adapter and POE filter, but I don't know if we can use it since the cable doesn't actually go into the office. But we might be able to take the split that went to the bedroom when I had a tivo in there and move it. We'll see.

Several people on my other thread and a friend told me that it could be interference on the wireless. I don't know what that doesn't affect the HD (well, maybe it does but very occasionally).

On the cable side, the pairing hung overnight, but I called on Saturday Am and the agent restarted it and it worked great - 6 tuners, all premium channels.

Good luck all and thanks to those who have helped me
Abby, we're going to attempt hooking up the PRO using an ethernet cable tonight. I totally understand your frustration because our unit never connected to our router.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #513
abbydancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
Abby, we're going to attempt hooking up the PRO using an ethernet cable tonight. I totally understand your frustration because our unit never connected to our router.
Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #514
rad1701

The order I placed today with my advisor's code already shipped today too! Woo-hoo! New Roamio and Mini on the way!
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #515
Ziggie

Quote:
Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
It didn't work (sigh). So we're back to square one

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #516
abbydancer

The folks at phone support told me that if both wired and wireless didn't work they'd replace the unit. I did have to ask for a supervisor though.

Sorry!
abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #517
javabird

Well Ziggie, now we are all following this thread and rooting for you, and just hoping you don't give up!
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #518
Ziggie

Quote:
The folks at phone support told me that if both wired and wireless didn't work they'd replace the unit. I did have to ask for a supervisor though.

Sorry!
Yep, that's what they told me on Saturday. That's why it has a RMA # taped to the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
Well Ziggie, now we are all following this thread and rooting for you, and just hoping you don't give up!
Aw, thanks javabird! Not sure what else we can do though

Old 02-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #519
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
Yep, that's what they told me on Saturday. That's why it has a RMA # taped to the box.

Aw, thanks javabird! Not sure what else we can do though
Where do you live? Again, someone might be willing to come out and help when you got your new box.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #520
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Where do you live? Again, someone might be willing to come out and help when you got your new box.
We made some progress I've been talking about it here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=514227

Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #521

After roughly a week and a half, what adds up to about 3 hours on hold, one wasted trip to a Charter location, and two trips to my house by Charter techs...

I have a fully functioning TiVo Roamio! Yay!

And it's pretty freaking awesome.

Another thing that is awesome is this message board. So many helpful people. Thanks everyone.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #522
nycityuser

Good experience

Just have to say that I've had a great experience with all this.

Ordered a Roamio Pro and Mini on January 28. Went the same day to Verizon to pick up the latest version of the cablecard.

Received the package on Monday, February 3.

Spent many, many hours hooking everything up on Tuesday. Yes, it took many hours even with no glitches. Surprisingly, even the cablecard activation and pairing went smoothly through the Verizon online portal. Others have had to call in after activation to get the card paired in order to receive encrypted HBO and Cinemax channels. I did not have to call as the pairing occurred automatically.

Verizon FIOS is particularly seamless since they already provide MOCA through the coax. So I just plugged the coax into the Pro and coax into the Mini and networked Internet access was instantaneous. And boy is it fast. I copied my Season Passes from an old TiVo HD to the Roamio via TiVo's website and the passes moved within minutes.

This setup replaces two separate TiVo HDs and I'm loving it. The 450 hour capacity is great and only having to record shows once to watch in either room is great. And the new GUI is pretty snazzy too.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #523
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
After roughly a week and a half, what adds up to about 3 hours on hold, one wasted trip to a Charter location, and two trips to my house by Charter techs...

I have a fully functioning TiVo Roamio! Yay!

And it's pretty freaking awesome.

Another thing that is awesome is this message board. So many helpful people. Thanks everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycityuser View Post
Just have to say that I've had a great experience with all this.

Ordered a Roamio Pro and Mini on January 28. Went the same day to Verizon to pick up the latest version of the cablecard.

Received the package on Monday, February 3.

Spent many, many hours hooking everything up on Tuesday. Yes, it took many hours even with no glitches. Surprisingly, even the cablecard activation and pairing went smoothly through the Verizon online portal. Others have had to call in after activation to get the card paired in order to receive encrypted HBO and Cinemax channels. I did not have to call as the pairing occurred automatically.

Verizon FIOS is particularly seamless since they already provide MOCA through the coax. So I just plugged the coax into the Pro and coax into the Mini and networked Internet access was instantaneous. And boy is it fast. I copied my Season Passes from an old TiVo HD to the Roamio via TiVo's website and the passes moved within minutes.

This setup replaces two separate TiVo HDs and I'm loving it. The 450 hour capacity is great and only having to record shows once to watch in either room is great. And the new GUI is pretty snazzy too.
How wonderful for both of you!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #524
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

UPS shows that my Pro and Mini are out for delivery! YipEEEE

Now I'm hoping that they leave them without signature if I'm not home in time.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #525
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
UPS shows that my Pro and Mini are out for delivery! YipEEEE

Now I'm hoping that they leave them without signature if I'm not home in time.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you BB! Keep us posted!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #526
rad1701

My Roamio and Mini are due via UPS tomorrow (very fast - only ordered on Tuesday). I picked up a cablecard from the Comcast local office during lunch (no line amazingly). So, tomorrow evening I should be hooking stuff up. Is this the best way to do it still?

1) Hook up Roamio, install CCard, power up
2) Call Comcast activation number to activate/pair M-card
3) Call or Online activate Roamio with TIVO

All my TIVO's have ethernet, so hopefully all should be easy-peasy.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #527
shrike4242

Quote:
My Roamio and Mini are due via UPS tomorrow (very fast - only ordered on Tuesday). I picked up a cablecard from the Comcast local office during lunch (no line amazingly). So, tomorrow evening I should be hooking stuff up. Is this the best way to do it still?

Does Comcast not need a tuning adapter?

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #528
nycityuser

Quote:

#3 should be #1. You should activate the Roamio with TiVo before doing anything else. That way when you go through Guided Setup it will see that your TiVo account is valid.

Are you transferring service from another TiVo box? If so, you have to call in to have them do the transfer. If not, then you can activate online.

I didn't put in the cablecard before powering up the Roamio. But one of the 1st questions it asked me is if I had the cablecard. I answered "Yes" and it instructed me to insert it. It then showed the screen with all the information needed to activate/pair it with my provider. I have Verizon FIOS and so was able to do that online. I guess you will call Comcast.

Once the cablecard is activated the rest is pretty easy.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #529
rad1701

Ahh, so activate TIVO first and foremost. And slip the cablecard in when asked. Got it!

This will be an additional TIVO, so no transferring of service going on.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #530
Ziggie

Quote:

You're going to get different opinions from different people.. but here is what was recommended to us:

1) Hook up Roamio and go through the guided setup.
2) Make sure Roamio has no issues with connectivity and everything goes through without a hitch.
3) Copy all info from the M-card. (I just took a pic of it front/back with my iPhone and read them the info from there). Comcast needs this info to pair it.
4) Install card and call Comcast and have them pair the card to the unit.
4) Call TiVo and setup service. The reason they told us to do this last is because you don't really want to be paying for service if you have any issues completing parts 1 and 2.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #531
Ziggie

Quote:
#3 should be #1. You should activate the Roamio with TiVo before doing anything else. That way when you go through Guided Setup it will see that your TiVo account is valid.

Are you transferring service from another TiVo box? If so, you have to call in to have them do the transfer. If not, then you can activate online.

I didn't put in the cablecard before powering up the Roamio. But one of the 1st questions it asked me is if I had the cablecard. I answered "Yes" and it instructed me to insert it. It then showed the screen with all the information needed to activate/pair it with my provider. I have Verizon FIOS and so was able to do that online. I guess you will call Comcast.

Once the cablecard is activated the rest is pretty easy.
Guided setup can be done without setting up TiVo service.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #532
rad1701

Yeah, thats what I thought. Get TIVO working, paired, etc. and THEN activate it. I've done this a few times in the past and I think that was how I did it last time.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #533
nycityuser

Quote:
Yeah, thats what I thought. Get TIVO working, paired, etc. and THEN activate it. I've done this a few times in the past and I think that was how I did it last time.
I guess there is no right way. The instructions that come with the box, however, do tell you to activate first.

My Roamio is something like the 7th TiVo I have set up over the years and I've always activated first. That way when you go through setup it can do all the downloading of data and rebooting it needs to get the box ready to use.

I activated a new Roamio and Mini on Tuesday and used the process I described in my previous post. Worked like a charm.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #534
Ziggie

Quote:
I guess there is no right way. The instructions that come with the box, however, do tell you to activate first.

My Roamio is something like the 7th TiVo I have set up over the years and I've always activated first. That way when you go through setup it can do all the downloading of data and rebooting it needs to get the box ready to use.

I activated a new Roamio and Mini on Tuesday and used the process I described in my previous post. Worked like a charm.
You're right nyc.. it seems there's more than one way to do the setup. I just remember people telling us to activate last. Following the directions on the box also works great!

Old 02-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #535
rad1701

I suppose even if you activate first and some type of hardware problem pops up you should be able to resolve that if the worse happens and you need a replacement TIVO. But really, does that happen very often?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #536
shrike4242

Quote:
I suppose even if you activate first and some type of hardware problem pops up you should be able to resolve that if the worse happens and you need a replacement TIVO. But really, does that happen very often?
I had two defective Roamio Pro units in a row with non-working front panel indicator lights, though that was a fluke.

It's best to activate the unit in advance, so you have that taken care of. It's a 30 day money back guarantee, so you're not out anything really save time. If the new unit ends up being the second or more than second unit, activating the new units ensures the other unit(s) will see the new unit the next time they go out to Tivo and do a network connection.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #537
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I have always taken advantage of the 7 day evaluation period on all my new Tivos. Put them through the paces before I activate them.

Does the evaluation period still not show up for the Roamios?
There was a bug at first, but that was supposed to have been fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #538
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

6:54pm and no sign yet of UPS. I feel Like a kid. Looking out the window at the sound of every passing Vehicle.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #539
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
6:54pm and no sign yet of UPS. I feel Like a kid. Looking out the window at the sound of every passing Vehicle.

Maybe they left it "next store".
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #540
HenryFarpolo

Or maybe "next door".
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote