TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
jmbach

Charter unable to supply CableCARD with more than 2 tuner support.

I am having an issue with Charter. My local Charter store only has 2 tuner Motorola M-Cards. They state that they cannot get any other. Talk to Charter nationally and they say they have a 5 tuner Scientific Atlanta card but I have to get it at my local Charter store as they do not have a mechanism in place to mail the card. Go to my local Charter store and they say they cannot get the card. Rinse and repeat. Been trying to get a resolution over the past month to no avail. Even when told that the FCC requires they provide at least a 4 tuner card they say sorry. Did get a Charter area supervisor to call me over a week ago to say they will look into it, but no return phone call and they would not give me any contact information to call or email them back. Very frustrating.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
tatergator1

Have you actually tried a CableCard from you local office that "only supports 2 tuners." In many cases, local CS is generally clueless about what these CableCards can actually support and have it ingrained in their mind that since Charter Dvr's can only do 2-tuners, that's all the CableCard firmware is capable of as well.

Furthermore, national support is equally clueless. There has never been a firmware version for Cisco/SA cards that can do only 5 tuners. As the firmware progressed, they could do 4, then 6 tuners. In addition, the fact that they suggested that you use a Cisco/SA card in your area is ridiculous. Since the local office is supplying Motorola, you local head end is Motorola equipment and the Cisco/SA card would be completely incompatible.

Does you Charter region use Tuning Adapters? There have been reports where the TA firmware is very old and can still only do 2-tuners, but this has been rare.

Before escalating further, try a "2-tuner" card from you local office and see what you actually get.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
jmbach

Yes I have tried the CableCARD they gave me with the tuning adapter. That is how I found out it is only a 2 tuner card. Perhaps a firmware update would help but that is a path I tried and ran into a brick wall as well. Best I can tell about the TA, it's firmware can support at least 4 tuners and based on Google searching, it looks like it supports 6 tuners.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
tatergator1

For Motorola equipment, the firmware requirements are as follows:

Quote:
The following CableCARD firmware versions are capable of handling six tuners:

Motorola CableCARDs-version 2.65 or later

Motorola CableCARDs ship from Motorola with version 2.65, and should work immediately.

If you have trouble getting your channels through a tuning adapter connected to a Roamio Series DVR, check the adapter's firmware version:

From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > Tuning Adapter

If you hava a Motorola tuning adapter, it requires firmware version xxx.36 or later (where xxx might be MTR_PLATO1 or a similar string of characters). The important thing is that the digits at the end of the string are 36 or greater.
From Tivo Support article here. Quoted text taken from "CableCard Troubleshooting" section.

They are definitely violating the FCC CableCard rules. Presumably either the TA or CC Firmware is below requirements and you need a firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, it seems like Charter is clueless.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
tarheelblue32

You are correct that the FCC requires them to provide at least a 4-turner CableCard. Look at the CableCard and Tuning Adapter diagnostics pages and find what version of the firmware each are running so you can at least narrow it down to whether it is a CableCard issue or a Tuning Adapter issue. It's almost certainly out of date firmware on the CableCard. Then I would go ahead and file a formal complaint with the FCC. Sometimes, filing a formal complaint will light a fire under the cable company to get things rolling. Here's the website:

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-06-2014 at 10:59 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
jmbach

Looks like firmware on the CableCARD is 3.25 and the tuning adapter has platform version 01.37 built 11/22/2010
Old 03-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
AdamNJ

fill it out:

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

edit: +1 for tarheel's post

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
jmbach

Well went back to my Charter store. Exchanged the equipment. This time I got a newer part number of the Motorola M-Card (012 vs 002) with FW 3.25. Installed it and now I have 6 tuners. So I finally resolved the issue. Unfortunately Charter does not know their CableCARDs very well.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
jrsobx
Registered Abuser

They really don't know their cable cards. Every time I've hooked up a Tivo, Charter has to send out a truck to come call the special phone number. I can stick the card in the box and call the 800 number over and over with no results. The Charter guy comes in my house, pulls out his cell phone and calls a different number and it works within a few minutes.

Charter sucks.

(Sorry to have my first post complaining about something)
jrsobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
jmbach

They (both local and national) do not know their CableCARDs. By random chance I got a CableCARD that worked. The first one did not. I asked for a newer card and they stated this is all they had. I had asked for another card and it was the same part number as the first. I left and returned just before closing and asked for a CableCARD and TA. The clerk went and got one for me and low and behold it was a newer part number. Went home and inserted it and I had 6 tuners. Now it took 50 minutes on the phone to convince the person that I knew what I was talking about. The problem is that they deal mostly with their Motorola boxes and all they need is a S/N to activate it. However with the Motorola M-Card, they need to input the Data number as well on their end. Last time it took over an hour and being transferred to 4 people before finally talking to one who listened and inputted the data number. This time the person listened and was doing the research and finally got it done. I refused several offers each time for a truck roll. The time before this, I let them schedule a truck roll a week later. Then I just called back and got it working after being transferred around and then cancelled the truck roll.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
shrike4242

I went through the same issue with my first Roamio Pro and using the two M-Cards I had from my S3. Charter could never get either one to pair at all, not to mention try and check tuners.

I ended up calling them out to replace the card and the TA and the newer card had the same 3.25 FW and I know I've had no issues with this first Roamio Pro.

The second Roamio Pro had one of these FW 3.25 CableCards in it from the get-go because the Premiere that it replaced appeared to have a bad tuner, though initially, swapping the CC and TA fixed the issue for a day's time.

You're right, Charter doesn't know their CableCard info to save their lives.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote