TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
edawson815

Roamio Pro Comcast San Jose Problems?

Anybody in San Jose - Campbell with Roamio or Premier & Comcast: Are you having problems with your Tivo, or is all OK?

After reading all the problems with Roamios, I'm hesitant to buy a new Roamio until all the bugs are worked out. I've dealt with Comcast and know they are not helpful if there's a problem.

I'm having problems with both my Premiers not getting picture and sound on many HD cable channels in the 700 channel region (MTv, MSNBC, CNBC, COMEDY CENTRAL, etc.)All I get is a message that there's a problem with the signal on the channel (V53). I get Local HD stations & HBO, Showtime, etc. I do receive the equivalent SD channels of MTV, MSNBC,CNBC, etc. Same problem happened on both Tivos at the same time. Comcast DVR hooked up to the same inputs works fine! Comcast blames Tivo, Tivo blames the M-card.
edawson815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
jamesmstone

I'm in the 95125 area and just installed a Roamio Basic with Comcast Digital Preferred on Wednesday. I checked those channels you had problems with and they come in fine for me.

The only issue I had was during my initial guided setup where it skipped the important part of asking if i had cable or an antenna and I set me up as an antenna user. I reran the setup and it's been working great so far.

~James
jamesmstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
GriffithStrife

You have a defective unit don't let no one tell you otherwise v52 v53 and v58 errors on Comcast that last longer than a few channel changes is a defective unit. I had 2 pros that kept receiving v53 errors saying no signal swapped both out now no such problems. Both of those units showed signal in the 60s to 70s both new units over 95.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

After the cable card is installed/paired/validated, you must re-run guided setup so all the channels and frequencies are recognized.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
marklyn

I live in Austin Texas and I'm on Time Warner, and I am experience what I think is the same thing.
I've had my Roamio Plus for about 3 weeks now and no problems until today.
I switch to a channel on the Roamio and it's a black screen, no sound. This continued to any channel I switched to.
My mini's were giving me a V53 error for channels as well.
I finally rebooted my Roamio and some channels are back and it's hit and miss on which channels, but many are still saying Channel not available, Contact your cable provider for more information.

I'm not sure what to do next.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
edawson815

Please post what you do/try to fix this. I'd be interested in how you resolve this. I'll do the same. It's been 2 weeks today that my problem started. Frustrating!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edawson815 View Post
Please post what you do/try to fix this. I'd be interested in how you resolve this. I'll do the same. It's been 2 weeks today that my problem started. Frustrating!
My fix turned out to be super easy, unplug the Tuning adapter for 15 seconds, plug back in, get a solid green light and all was ok.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
badstink

Quote:
Originally Posted by edawson815 View Post
Anybody in San Jose - Campbell with Roamio or Premier & Comcast: Are you having problems with your Tivo, or is all OK?

After reading all the problems with Roamios, I'm hesitant to buy a new Roamio until all the bugs are worked out. I've dealt with Comcast and know they are not helpful if there's a problem.

I'm having problems with both my Premiers not getting picture and sound on many HD cable channels in the 700 channel region (MTv, MSNBC, CNBC, COMEDY CENTRAL, etc.)All I get is a message that there's a problem with the signal on the channel (V53). I get Local HD stations & HBO, Showtime, etc. I do receive the equivalent SD channels of MTV, MSNBC,CNBC, etc. Same problem happened on both Tivos at the same time. Comcast DVR hooked up to the same inputs works fine! Comcast blames Tivo, Tivo blames the M-card.
I live in Cambrian area of San Jose (95124) and am having same symptoms but with different HD channels than you. I'm getting V52 or V53 errors on 7 local channels (702,703,704,705,711,712,713) and 14 other channels (721,723,736,738,739,747,749,750,752,759,775,798,811,897). I also get a GSM-11 error when I try to access On Demand.

Tech came by yesterday but didn't solve issue. I have another appt for this coming Saturday.
badstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
patrickthickey

potentially you need to attenuate

This is a very recurring issue, but not universal, apparently.

I found I needed to add a simple 10db attenuator and the issue went away.

Then, as I bought and installed a Mini, I installed a POE Moca filter to make Moca work reliably. The POE Moca filter itself attenuates the signal and I started seeing pixelating on some channels.

Final solution was to remove the 10db inline filter and use only the POE Moca filter to slightly bruise the signal.

I have not seen a V53 in almost a year. I was previously seeing the v53 on a small number of 700 HD channels like you report.

FYI - I am on Comcast Digital in Berkeley, CA.
patrickthickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
edawson815

Quote:
Originally Posted by badstink View Post
I live in Cambrian area of San Jose (95124) and am having same symptoms but with different HD channels than you. I'm getting V52 or V53 errors on 7 local channels (702,703,704,705,711,712,713) and 14 other channels (721,723,736,738,739,747,749,750,752,759,775,798,811,897). I also get a GSM-11 error when I try to access On Demand.

Tech came by yesterday but didn't solve issue. I have another appt for this coming Saturday.
Ask the technician to see if there are multiple "heads" available to your house. They switched mine and that solved all the problems. Joel at Comcast is the guy with TiVo expertise. If your repairman is clueless, ask him to contact Joel. The problem happened a second time, and when I mentioned changing heads, one call by repairman did it. They said they would note on my account to not change heads in future.
I am at least 1 year closer to a fatal heart attack or stroke due to Comcast service. Write your congressman to break up Comcast, not allow them to merge with Time Warner. Can you imagine tech support being even worse!