TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #31
Thom

I edited reply #26 above, adding the location of the Roamio restart function.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
...I have no idea what the specs are on the blank 2TB that we already have in-house.

What's the brand and model number?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #33
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Also, the default Roamio remote control setup is to work via RF, but can be switched to IR mode to work like older TiVos do.
Actually, if the Romio's remote is RF by default, that's a plus. Then I can use the old remote with the HD and the new remote with the Roamio and they won't get confused. I know about changing all the numbers on the IR remotes to use with mutiple TiVos, but I haven't been patient enough to make that work.

I'm used to using two remotes because one of my S1s is a Sony and the other is a Phillips -- I know having multiple remotes drives some people batty but it's no big deal, and for some things I actually prefer it.

On the other hand, if the new remotes can be switched to IR, that's good to know, because the old remote is getting flaky, and I was thinking about replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I edited reply #26 above, adding the location of the Roamio restart function.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Sorry, I really have no idea; my husband bought it last summer to put in my XP desktop and the machine died before we could install it. He bought it from NewEgg and I haven't handled it, so I have no visual memory of what it is (no retail box, and I never saw the invoice, nor read the label on the drive).

All I can tell you is my husband is POed at WD because two of the WD externals have crapped out on me, so it's likely to be another brand (possibly a Seagate).

I'll post the specs later tonight, after my husband gets home and I can lay hands on it.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #34
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
We've upgraded two TiVos in the past -- both S1s. For the first, we copied the image ourselves; for the second, we did a drop-in replacement from Weaknees.

My DH (dear husband) is not going to be happy if I float the idea of upgrading another TiVo -- keeping the cats out of the way while the upgrade takes place is going to be amusing -- but dropping in an empty drive and having all the software appear on it automagically will be much more palatable than having to order a drive or cloning one ourselves.
I did drop in replacements on a couple of Premieres and those really couldn't have been easier to get done, but it involved me shopping around a bit on eBay to find the less expensive (compared to Weaknees, etc.) alternatives for doing it.

I think I did one upgrade to a DirecTV HD box (the older TiVo based boxes) and that was a bit more interesting to do (D-I-Y with downloaded scripts, etc.)

I definitely prefer easier As you've said, doing it all pretty much automatically makes it far more appealing to me.

Now if April would roll around (and hopefully leave me with some disposable income to get everything purchased with )
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #35
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Actually, if the Romio's remote is RF by default, that's a plus. Then I can use the old remote with the HD and the new remote with the Roamio and they won't get confused. I know about changing all the numbers on the IR remotes to use with mutiple TiVos, but I haven't been patient enough to make that work.
Just a heads up: Even when using the RF remote with the Roamio, the TiVo will still respond to an IR remote if that remote is set to the 0 address, so be sure to set the HD tivo and its remote to another one.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #36
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

And the comedy of errors continues. I asked my husband where my 2TB drive had gotten to, and he said "I don't know."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
Just a heads up: Even when using the RF remote with the Roamio, the TiVo will still respond to an IR remote if that remote is set to the 0 address, so be sure to set the HD tivo and its remote to another one.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285
Thanks. If we change the HD before the Roamio arrives, that ought to be easier than trying to change two TiVos in the same stack. I hope.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-23-2014 at 12:27 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #37
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
And the comedy of errors continues. I asked my husband where my 2TB drive had gotten to, and he said "I don't know."
Sounds just like me and my wife :-). I try to stay organized, but life conspires against me. Don't be too hard on him
Quote:
Thanks. If we change the HD before the Roamio arrives, that ought to be easier than trying to change two TiVos in the same stack. I hope.
Yep, otherwise you'll have to play the 'try to cover the IR window' game. The IR reception on the Roamio (plus and pro models, at least) is weaker than older TiVos -- it seems the internal placement of the parts involved is a little bit off in some units: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508246
There's a couple of pictures half-way down the thread. Not sure how different the base Roamio is from these, but it might be something to check on if you're opening it up anyway. I did a 3TB drive upgrade on a Plus and forget to check mine - now I have to go back in and some point and see if I can improve the reception any - I now get missed IR commands at least several times a night using a Harmony One that previously could be used flawlessly from an adjoining room with the old Premiere.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #38
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
The blank drive is a 2T Seagate Barracuda (Model ST20000DM001).

Looks like I missed the window on the Best Buy deal with the gift card, but B&H also has base Romios at $149 like Amazon. And I've got the AP promo code as well.

It may be moot, however, since the Spousal Unit is more keen on putting that drive into my W8 desktop.

And if I do get a Roamio, it makes more sense to get a 3T drive so I can max it out.

Edited to add: the drive was in my old computer -- we had to open the case and pull it out. No wonder I couldn't find it when I was looking for the shipping carton.

It's still unformatted as far as we can tell.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-26-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #39
unitron

Quote:
The blank drive is a 2T Seagate Barracuda (Model ST20000DM001).

Looks like I missed the window on the Best Buy deal with the gift card, but B&H also has base Romios at $149 like Amazon. And I've got the AP promo code as well.

It may be moot, however, since the Spousal Unit is more keen on putting that drive into my W8 desktop.

And if I do get a Roamio, it makes more sense to get a 3T drive so I can max it out.

Edited to add: the drive was in my old computer -- we had to open the case and pull it out. No wonder I couldn't find it when I was looking for the shipping carton.

It's still unformatted as far as we can tell.
Probably better to put that drive in a computer (perhaps as a place to store what shows are copyable from the TiVo) and use a Western Digital WD20EURS or the 3TB big brother in the TiVo.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #40
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Probably better to put that drive in a computer (perhaps as a place to store what shows are copyable from the TiVo) and use a Western Digital WD20EURS or the 3TB big brother in the TiVo.
Yes, that had been the original plan.

Thanks.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-27-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #41
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

After talking to TiVo Customer service this morning, I'm really tempted to get the $49 Premiere, transfer my current service to it, and take the $99 Lifetime deal on the TiVoHD.

Transferring my current service to the Premiere would keep the TiVo Service fee the same.

If I use the Premiere OTA, I'd have two more tuners for the Thursday night logjam, and I wouldn't have to mess with re-pairing the current cable card, or adding any cable card fees.

Of course that would depend on whether or not they'd give me the $99 Lifetime deal for a Premiere and not a Roamio. But if I could keep our monthly costs the same, it would help the SAF (spouse acceptance factor).

I really appreciate the advice everybody has given about the Roamio, though. Talking about getting a Roamio and upgrading it has suddenly made upgrading the computer a lot more appealing.

The $49 Premiere deal wouldn't be as nice as getting a Roamio, but it would get me back to the 4 tuners we had before Comcast went all digital.

The alternative would be to get one of the stupid Comcast DTAs and watch (ick phtooie) Live TV on the nights where we have conflicts that call for more than two tuners.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 AM   #42
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

So I ended up not getting a new TiVo. I'm toughing it out recording the Olympics with the TiVoHD, supplementing with an old OTA converter box for overflow days.

One thing I'd like to know, however, because I'll want to know before 2016 rolls around. See this thread?

TiVo with old Sony Trinitron SD

Does the Roamio not have an SD interface?

Did I not say in the OP that I only had an SD TV, and one of the things I was concerned about was being able to use the newer TiVos with my old TV?

If we have to upgrade the TV before I get a Roamio, I really need to know. Because I can see what the HD menus look like on my TV now if I stumble into the TiVo Search screens, and I'm not putting up with that.

And if the guys posting in that other thread are wrong, and there is a way to tell the Roamio to put out its menus in SD, it would be great if someone could go over to that thread and tell the OP how to do it.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #43
mattack

Quote:
Does the Roamio not have an SD interface?
Yes, the Roamio still has a composite output. IIRC, the LOWEST end model (the one that works with OTA _OR_ cable) requires an extra breakout cable.. but I may be wrong.. check it out for
yourself.

The Roamio plus, which I have, definitely has composite out too.. I have it connected to my XS32 recorder (though admittedly I have to try a separate composite cable at some point.. I was getting flaky video.. I had to wiggle it once in a while.. and nowadays am usually just streaming things to the Premiere 4 sitting right underneath it!)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote