TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
bmwtriker

Question SATA or eSATA

FOr you REAL techies, what connector type do I need to connect my eSATA HD to the Bolt's mother board? SATA cable or eSATA?

The poll I posted regarding the best/preferred method of upgrading a Bolt was met with unbridled unenthusiasm. i.e. 1 vote. So, without the aid of other opinions, I punted. I tried using parts of two different upgrade methods and now have a problem.

I used a Seagate 3TB (Barracuda) drive, the Rosewill drive enclosure and ordered the Sata right angle cable mentioned in the post with the Rosewill.

However, the right angle SATA cable (Startech SATA6RA1) will not plug into the Rosewill enclosure connector. That connector must be an eSATA connector.

So, the question is this: Since the drive shipped with a eSATA cable, when I disconnect the cable to the HD in the Bolt, what cable will I need to connect to the Bolt? SATA or eSATA, or does it matter on the Bolt's motherboard?

The photo shows the two types of connectors. The top is the SATA, the lower the eSATA.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2294.jpg (54.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by bmwtriker; 08-30-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: No one is answering the question.
bmwtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
unitron

Are you trying to have a single drive, where the internal drive is actually outside of the TiVo case?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtriker View Post
FOr you REAL techies, what connector type do I need to connect my eSATA HD to the Bolt's mother board? SATA cable or eSATA?

The poll I posted regarding the best/preferred method of upgrading a Bolt was met with unbridled unenthusiasm. i.e. 1 vote. So, without the aid of other opinions, I punted. I tried using parts of two different upgrade methods and now have a problem.

I used a Seagate 3TB (Barracuda) drive, the Rosewill drive enclosure and ordered the Sata right angle cable mentioned in the post with the Rosewill.

However, the right angle SATA cable (Startech SATA6RA1) will not plug into the Rosewill enclosure connector. That connector must be an eSATA connector.

So, the question is this: Since the drive shipped with a eSATA cable, when I disconnect the cable to the HD in the Bolt, what cable will I need to connect to the Bolt? SATA or eSATA, or does it matter on the Bolt's motherboard?

The photo shows the two types of connectors. The top is the SATA, the lower the eSATA.
Hi,
Assuming you are using the external enclosure for power, there are a bunch of sata to esata cables available online. Many seem to want to use a right angle sata, but if you remove the Bolt's hard drive, you could just use a strait sata to esata cable at that location, at least I believe so.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
bmwtriker

Yes, but

Thanks for the info fcf2. However, maybe I was unclear. The whole post is a question. WHICH cable of all there are to order online is the CORRECT one for the Bolt? The cable that shipped with my HD will work just fine as long as the connector on the Bolt motherboard is eSATA. If it's just SATA, I'll need to order a new cable. See the photos of the two types of connectors. physical wires are exactly the same for both cable types, but their connectors won't interchange. i.e. You can't connect an eSATA cable to a SATA connector and vice versa.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
bmwtriker

to unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you trying to have a single drive, where the internal drive is actually outside of the TiVo case?

Yep. that's the plan. I'm pretty convinced that for some reason, the Bolt doesn't like other 2.5in HDs, and their failure rate in Bolt's is of concern to me. I suspect it is the added heat from the drives that is causing the premature failure. Anyway, this external enclosure has a fan and will keep it cool and hopefully, I won't have to go into the Bolt again.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
ggieseke

If your enclosure has an eSATA connector you need a SATA (Bolt internal) to eSATA (enclosure) cable. Straight or right-angle at each end is a matter of physical space, but based on my Roamio Basic I'd suggest a right-angle SATA to straight eSATA cable.

I think the main cause of failures isn't heat or power. Most (if not all) of the larger 2.5" drives that I've seen on the Bolt expansion threads are "archive" drives that were never built for continuous use. If you take a drive that is only rated for about 1.5TB of writes per year with a 2-year warranty and put it in a TiVo that's going to write about 20GB/hour just to buffer live TV the resulting failures are fairly predictable.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: