TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

In general, can data from bad TiVo HDs be salvaged?

Anyway, we're apparently having an epidemic of failing TiVos in my house.

I'm in the middle of fixing one of our broken S2's, and hour our TiVo Premier is failing. So 3 of our 5 TiVos are broken.

The Premier is the most important, and primary TiVo my wife uses, and she's very worried about it.

Symptoms: it keeps restarting, and alternating between the "almost there" screen, and the TiVo animated video that plays after restarting. I'm guessing, but could be wrong, that this could be due to a bad hard drive.

So I'm considering running HD diagnostics, and if necessary, replace the HD. But if that's it, it has a giant heapload of shows that my wife has recorded on it. Is there a way, using the MFS utilities, to copy all that from the bad HD to a new good HD? Would it (hopefully) copy whatever it could, but skip over the bad sectors? Or would this even work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
Anyway, we're apparently having an epidemic of failing TiVos in my house.

I'm in the middle of fixing one of our broken S2's, and hour our TiVo Premier is failing. So 3 of our 5 TiVos are broken.

The Premier is the most important, and primary TiVo my wife uses, and she's very worried about it.

Symptoms: it keeps restarting, and alternating between the "almost there" screen, and the TiVo animated video that plays after restarting. I'm guessing, but could be wrong, that this could be due to a bad hard drive.

So I'm considering running HD diagnostics, and if necessary, replace the HD. But if that's it, it has a giant heapload of shows that my wife has recorded on it. Is there a way, using the MFS utilities, to copy all that from the bad HD to a new good HD? Would it (hopefully) copy whatever it could, but skip over the bad sectors? Or would this even work?
The other possibility is that your TiVo's power supply is failing. But in case your hard drive is in the process of failing, you could try cloning it ASAP with Gnu ddrescue as found on the SystemRescueCd (my new favorite rescue CD). You would need a target drive of equal or larger size. Search for threads here that mention ddrescue. And be careful of your ddrescue parameters, since it will happily copy an empty drive over your TiVo drive if you tell it to do so. And you might want to read "How To Clone Your Failing TiVo Drive With ddrescue", which is a sort of TiVo-specific tutorial. I believe you could also use Dvr Backup And Restore Software for Windows (DvrBARS), but I haven't tried it yet.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
timckelley
TCFer

Thank you for this advice. Magically the TiVo started working later today, so nothing is lost.

Still I suppose it's possible that the hard drive is in the early stages of failure. I suppose I could try backing it up, but that seems pointless, because what if it doesn't bite the dust until a month from now or something? Having a one month-old backup might not be that valuable to my wife. OTOH, maybe it would, given how much stuff she has on it. Chances are that a sizable heapload will still be on it in a month from now, still unwatched.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #4
HerronScott

How the hard drive and just curious if it updated to the most recent version?

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Thank you for this advice. Magically the TiVo started working later today, so nothing is lost.

Still I suppose it's possible that the hard drive is in the early stages of failure. I suppose I could try backing it up, but that seems pointless, because what if it doesn't bite the dust until a month from now or something? Having a one month-old backup might not be that valuable to my wife. OTOH, maybe it would, given how much stuff she has on it. Chances are that a sizable heapload will still be on it in a month from now, still unwatched.
If you happen to already have burned yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd, it has

dd_rescue

which is very similar to

ddrescue

and you could use either to "Xerox" the drive to another of the same size, or perhaps larger.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
timckelley
TCFer

That's good... the TiVo resumed it's bad symptoms this morning, so probably I should not wait until it's completely dead. I assume it has a SATA motherboard, but I'll be opening it up soon to have a look before running a diagnostic and possibly ordering another HD. I'd do it this evening, but my wife wants me to delay work until tomorrow evening, because this evening she wants me to recaulk my son's bathroom. We have an ant problem there, and the exterminator sprayed there a couple days ago, and they're recommended recaulking to help control the pests, and my wife considers this higher priority than fixing her TiVo because my son has to use the master shower until after the recaulking.

I wonder if this dd_rescue has a built in help screen to assist me with the syntax. I guess I'll find out. I do have a years old copy of MFS live on CD already, so I'll try that. As I recall, it involves linux commands, which is an OS I don't really know how to use.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley; 03-24-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
That's good... the TiVo resumed it's bad symptoms this morning, so probably I should not wait until it's completely dead. I assume it has a SATA motherboard, but I'll be opening it up soon to have a look before running a diagnostic and possibly ordering another HD. I'd do it this evening, but my wife wants me to delay work until tomorrow evening, because this evening she wants me to recaulk my son's bathroom. We have an ant problem there, and the exterminator sprayed there a couple days ago, and they're recommended recaulking to help control the pests, and my wife considers this higher priority than fixing her TiVo because my son has to use the master shower until after the recaulking.

I wonder if this dd_rescue has a built in help screen to assist me with the syntax. I guess I'll find out. I do have a years old copy of MFS live on CD already, so I'll try that. As I recall, it involves linux commands, which is an OS I don't really know how to use.

If you're going to use a GigaByte brand PC motherboard to do the work, don't hook any drives to it 'til we've talked about how to avoid getting them messed up because of the tendency of those boards to slap Host Protected Areas on drives without warning. There is a way around that.

As far as I know, that's the only brand that offers that particular danger.

Series 1 and Series 2 TiVos used the older PATA/IDE data connectors for hard drives, but they switched over to SATA beginning with the first Series 3.

One thing to keep in mind in a Linux-type environment is that something in uppercase letters is probably not the same thing as the same thing in lowercase letters.

Something like

dd_rescue -?

should bring up a help screen of sorts, kind of like DOS files would with

somefile.exe /?

back in the command line days.

In fact, the list of options, which are invoked in the form

dd_rescue -x

where x is a letter, will probably show you that you could get that same help screen with

dd_rescue -h

the "h" standing for "help".

As for your MFS Live cd, it should offer 4 choices when it boots and the first choice should work fine. It's the default, so if you make no choice, it'll choose that one and continue booting after 10 or 20 seconds or so.

Eventually you should get a command prompt that looks like this

[mfslive:/]#

but if you have any drives connected by USB you may get that prompt, and then some other stuff related to the USB stuff, and then it finishes and sits, but not at that command prompt.

If so, hitting Enter should get it to finish up and get back to

[mfslive:/]#

Once you're there, entering

fdisk -l

(which will look like

[mfslive:/]# fdisk -l

on the screen)

should show you what drives are connected and which one is called what.

The naming convention is the first PATA/IDE drive, if any, would be

/dev/hda

the next one would be

/devhdb

and so on through the alphabet.

The first SATA drive would be

/dev/sda

but the "s" was originally, in early Linux/Unix days, to differentiate between PATA/IDE and SCSI drives.

Nowadays SCSI, SATA, and USB connected drives are all

/dev/sda

or

/dev/sdb

and so on.

You'll need to know for certain which drive is being called what by that version of Linux that boot cd loads so that you don't write anything to the wrong drives.

If there's a cd or dvd drive, that version of

fdisk

will probably "choke" when it gets to it, and if it's not last on the list of drives connected, you won't see the one(s) that follow(s).

But, there's another little program on that cd/built into the OS the cd loads into the PC's memory.

That program is

pdisk

and is similar to

fdisk

but what it does is tell you about drives which have been formatted, not with the DOS/IBM Master Boot Record scheme that

fdisk

can detect, but with the Apple Partition Map which TiVos use.

So

pdisk -l

can help you find which drives are TiVo drives, which are not TiVo drives, and which are not yet TiVo drives.

Also, you can, instead of adding a global "list" option to fdisk or pdisk, with

-l

you can target either at a particular drive.

For example,

fdisk -l /dev/sdd

if you have 3 hard drives and a cd drive and the cd drive is 3rd (/dev/sdc) on the list and you know it shouldn't stop the list there.

So, once you're sure which disk is which, let's assume for illustration that your Windows hard drive (which you bypassed when you booted from the cd) is /dev/sda, the cd drive shows up as /dev/sdb, the TiVo drive you want to copy is /dev/sdc, and the new blank drive is /dev/sdd.

The general form is

command (options) source target

so you'd do

dd_rescue -v /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

where -v tells it to use verbose mode, which gives info on what it's doing as it's doing it.

There are other options, including some to specify how many bytes to try to copy at once and how many fewer to fall back to if it hits a snag, but the defaults will probably suffice in your case.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
timckelley
TCFer

That sounds very informative; I look forward to trying this. Actually it sounds familiar, as it's not the first time I've run some of the utilities (though never have I run dd_rescue), but it's been so long, I forgot how I did it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
That sounds very informative; I look forward to trying this. Actually it sounds familiar, as it's not the first time I've run some of the utilities (though never have I run dd_rescue), but it's been so long, I forgot how I did it.
I had to do some memory refreshing myself before writing that.

If you don't work with the stuff all the time, the details start getting fuzzy.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
timckelley
TCFer

I'm finally getting around to doing this, but I'm running into this problem: when I boot to the mfslive CD, i'm prompted to hit enter to load Linux and that works, but then once I get the Linux prompt it's like it doesn't recognize the keyboard; no matter what I type, nothing shows up on the screen.

In addition it's saying no CD ROM found, even though obviously it's able to read the cd ROM since it booted to it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
telemark

There's about 3 phases to a linux boot, that have completely different hardware drivers.

BIOS, bootloader, and linux kernel.

Differences between the three's version of supported hardware, can lead to scenarios where hardware that was working later disappears.

Just grab a keyboard from another computer and move one. (If ps2, try USB. If USB, try ps2. If AT, get a new computer)

Last edited by telemark; 04-07-2015 at 11:18 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
I'm finally getting around to doing this, but I'm running into this problem: when I boot to the mfslive CD, i'm prompted to hit enter to load Linux and that works, but then once I get the Linux prompt it's like it doesn't recognize the keyboard; no matter what I type, nothing shows up on the screen.

In addition it's saying no CD ROM found, even though obviously it's able to read the cd ROM since it booted to it.
I seem to recall there being some older, like maybe pre-DDR type RAM era, AMD CPU-based motherboards that the version of Linux on the MFS Live cd had problems with.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #13
timckelley
TCFer

Well as an update, the video started acting up again like it used to do, where a bunch of lines were showing up, and the computer would lock up. Before, rebooting would fix that, and now, it did at first, but now it's stuck like that no matter how many times I reboot, and that includes with the Windows boot drive attached. I can no longer get this computer to boot.

And even when it did boot, I noticed I can't get it to detect the original CD drive that came with (even though I had hopes it would, since at one time I think I had the wrong IDE connecter on it), though it was at least reading the transplanted CD drive I took out of my other computer.

I'm suspecting hardware problems of a nature that maybe it's time for me to replace the computer. I did look on Craigslist and replied to one of them, but it turns out that one has a SATA motherboard. I'd prefer a computer with an IDE mother board so that it'd be easy to format IDE HDs to for my IDE TiVos.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
telemark

Not recognizing the CD drive is something that might be fixed when using a newer Linux disk.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
timckelley
TCFer

That's good, but it won't even boot to Windows now, suggesting something else is also at play. I will admit my Linux disk is very old though, so maybe I should make another one.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
timckelley
TCFer

Update and a question.

I kind of stopped looking at this because I've been working feverishly to get my taxes done before the April 15th deadline. I've just finished that, and now my wife is leaning harder for me to finish fixing her TiVo.

Magically my old computer started working again. Even though repeated reboots didn't fix things, letting it rest a whole day did, and now it's been running fin the last few days. (I use it to run pyTiVo, which my wife heavily uses.)

Anyway, at this point, I'm afraid to use that computer to fix my TiVo because it seems that every time I fiddle with the innards, it starts malfunctioning. Plus I can't get the MFS live CD to work on that computer or have it recognize devices.

So I thought of buying a cheap used computer that supports IDE drives, as I have an IDE HD ready to configure for the TiVo. But nobody from Craigslist answers my emails. Then I just realized this: My main computer, which is an emachines T3604, and which uses SATA drives, has an IDE DVD drive. That ribbon has two connectors on it, and it looks like the same width as the IDE HD I want to configure.

Could I hook up my DVD and HD on the same ribbon at the same time, and have it work? If so, which should be primary and which slave? To be honest, I don't remember if the CD drive was primary or slave, but I'd guess primary, since it's the only IDE device that was in there. (I say "was", because it's currently in my finicky computer, as I was going to use it to fix the TiVo. If this works, I plan on returning the DVD drive back to its original computer to assist with the TiVo repair.)

So if this works, I guess I could boot to the the MFS CD, then eject it and insert an image CD in it's place, and start doing a transfer of that image onto my IDE hard drive.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #17
timckelley
TCFer

Well I hooked up the hard drive and windows seems to detect it because it said some driver was installed. (Hopefully no harm was done by that since I plan on replacing the entire contents of the hard drive with a TiVo image.)

I've then booted to the MFS live CD and in the process it told me "to proceed press the enter key" but pressing enter does nothing.

Could that simply mean the CD is bad and I should burn a new one? I hope that's all it is.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #18
timckelley
TCFer

Burning a new disc helped. The keyboard works using the new Mfslive disc. I'm now researching the proper syntax to copy an image onto the new hard drive.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #19
unitron

An IDE/PATA ribbon cable is right at just about 2 inches wide.

If the one in your eMachines that goes to the DVD drive has a blue connector plugged into the motherboard, and on the other end a black connector and near that a gray connector, it's the newer 80 conductor 40 connector type, which is strictly Cable Select when it come to figuring out which is Master and which is Slave, therefore both the DVD drive and any IDE hard drive you connect need to be jumpered CS.

The black plug on the end is the Master, and the gray plug about 6 inches away from it is the Slave.

If you're using WinMFS or the MFS Live cd, it probably doesn't matter whether the DVD drive is Master and the hard drive is Slave or the other way around.

The old Instant Cake cd's, and maybe the old PTV cd were fussy about that, but you probably shouldn't need either of those for anything these days.

If you need to use a cd-r with a TiVo image on it while running the MFS Live cd, you should first copy the image to a partition on the computer's main hard drive (the SATA one it boots Windows from) and then mount that partition while on the command line after booting with the MFS Live cd and point the restore command towards that.

The main hard drive will be referred to as

/dev/sdX

(Probably /dev/sda)

and the other hard drive, being non-SATA, will be

/dev/hdX

with X depending on stuff, like is it the first SATA port or is it the Master or Slave on the IDE cable.

First port or Master would be "a", second port or slave would be "b", etc.

(If you were using a SATA drive with a SATA/IDE adapter connected to the IDE cable, the computer, and therefore the version of Live Linux the MFS Live cd boots into, would still see it as an IDE device and therefore as a /dev/hdX)

Are you sure you wouldn't rather do all this in WinMFS?

I can probably hook you up with the needed image.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
timckelley
TCFer

I'm having trouble getting the mount command to work, but I was trying to mount the CD rom for the image. Now that I see your idea to put the image on my SATA drive, maybe that will work. I think I do have the kind of connectors you describe, but I actually jumpered the IDE drive as a slave. I guess I should change to cable select like you said. As for winmfs, I could never get that to work, but that was on my other computer. Maybe I should give winmfs a try on this computer. I guess I'll try that now and see what happens.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley; 04-12-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
I'm having trouble getting the mount command to work, but I was trying the mount the CD rom for the image. Now that I see your idea to put the image on my SATA drive, maybe that will work.

I think I do have the kind of connectors you describe, but I actually jumpered the IDE drive as a slave. I guess I should change to cable select like you said.

As for winmfs, I could never get that to work, but that was on my other computer. Maybe I should give winmfs a try on this computer. I guess I'll try that now and see what happens.

Sometimes if a drive is jumpered Slave and you have it connected to the gray plug it'll work okay, or if you have it jumpered Master and connected to the black plug, but when you have something connected to both I'd play it safe and jumper both drives for Cable Select and let the cable sort it out.

(well, actually the controller on the motherboard notes which of those 40 connectors isn't connected to what on which drive and does the sorting according to that)

You can copy an entire drive with the MFS Live cd rather than restoring from a truncated image with a command string that uses

backup

and pipes the output of it to the input of the

restore

command, but WinMFS has

mfscopy

which will copy all of the TiVo's current drive (including recordings and all settings) to another of equal or greater size, and then you can use it to expand if there's extra space (but always do expansion as a separate step on its own, regardless of the instructions, whether you use WinMFS or the MFS Live cd, and whether you're copying a drive or restoring from a truncated image)

EDIT: Of course we still haven't established whether your S2 has a hard drive problem or a power supply problem, have we?

Old 04-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #22
timckelley
TCFer

In WinMFS, when I try to select a drive, I see no drives at all. Well, I did change the jumper to cable select, so maybe I should put it back to slave like I had it. Still, you'd think it'd at least show my my windows SATA drive.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #23
timckelley
TCFer

Well the old hard drive had bad sectors when I ran the diagnostics; that's why I'm assuming it's a hard drive problem.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 AM   #24
unitron

Quote:
In WinMFS, when I try to select a drive, I see no drives at all. Well, I did change the jumper to cable select, so maybe I should put it back to slave like I had it. Still, you'd think it'd at least show my my windows SATA drive.
WinMFS does not show mounted drives unless you tell it to.

In the context of being booted into Windows, a mounted drive will be one with a traditional DOS/IBM-PC/ Master Boot Record, which blank drives don't have and which TiVo drives with Apple Partition Maps instead of MBRs don't have.

And I think spike set it up so that WinMFS cannot "see" at all, ever (for purposes of writing an image to or copying a TiVo drive to) the drive that has the Windows installation that the PC is booted to on it.

He did that for safety, although it can still see it to find a backup file or to write a backup file to.

If you're trying to write a backup file image to a drive that was previously used for PC stuff and probably still has an MBR on it, you need to click on

Select Drive

and then check the

"Show Mounted Drives" box.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #25
timckelley
TCFer

Even checking on the show mounted drives box doesn't show any of my drives. But the mfslive CD is definitely detecting my drive so maybe I should use that software instead of WinMFS. You mentioned the idea of storing the TiVo image on a hard drive partition. I think my windows drive just has one big partition on it, but I'll check and see. Should I store it on the root (as opposed to a folder)? I don't know if the mfslive Linux commands can refer to folders inside a partition or or not.

Edit: apparently my windows drive has two partitions after all:

Vista ( C: ) 103.29 GB NTFS
Recover ( D: ) 8.50 GB NTFS

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley; 04-13-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #26
telemark

Getting to a stable environment with any tools and the needed HDDs may be your first goal.

Some of us, me included, prefer one tool over another. So once there you might get different directions depending who's around answering at that point.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #27
unitron

Quote:
Even checking on the show mounted drives box doesn't show any of my drives. But the mfslive CD is definitely detecting my drive so maybe I should use that software instead of WinMFS. You mentioned the idea of storing the TiVo image on a hard drive partition. I think my windows drive just has one big partition on it, but I'll check and see. Should I store it on the root (as opposed to a folder)? I don't know if the mfslive Linux commands can refer to folders inside a partition or or not.

Edit: apparently my windows drive has two partitions after all:

Vista ( C: ) 103.29 GB NTFS
Recover ( D: ) 8.50 GB NTFS
Don't write anything to the recover partition!!!!!

You need to be running WinMFS with admin privileges for it to see drives, I just remembered, maybe that's the problem.

Find wherever you have

winmfs.exe

and right-click on it, and that should give you a "Run as..." option that'll let you select a user account with admin privileges.

But if you're going to do it with the MFS Live cd....

You can "drill down" to directories and subdirectories once you've mounted the C: drive, but it'd be easier to just copy the image file to the root of C:

Something you should do to insure not writing to the Recover partition, the D: drive, which Linux "should" see as /dev/sda2 but sometimes stuff happens, is to open Notepad while booted into Windows, type in

This is the C: drive

and then save it as

C:\ThisIsC.txt

so that when you go

mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /dos

you can then do

ls -l /dos

and if that file is there you'll know you mounted the right partition and if it isn't you need to immediately

umount /dos

which is not unmount but umount (which is the command to unmount, but they don't use the n in un)

I've seen at least one Windows XP machine (several years ago) where booting with a floppy with a "drive-looking-at" program revealed that what the Windows installation considered the C: drive was what I would later learn would be called /dev/sda2 by Linux, and that the hidden recovery partition was what Linux would call /dev/sda1, so if your eMachine was done that way you want to unmount the wrong partition before anything happens to it.

When you do

mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /dos

you're telling the version of Live Linux which booted the PC and installed itself into RAM to mount the first partition on the drive attached to the first SATA controller to the the virtual directory /dos, which is one of several it created in RAM when it installed itself.

It did not actually create a directory on the hard drive anywhere, it just uses /dos as a mount point for, in this case, the C: drive, so that any file in the root of C: would be seen by it as /dos/filename.ext, and a file in the Windows directory would be seen as /dos/Windows/filename.ext, and so forth.

The MFS Live instructions would tell you to, after mounting the C: drive to /dos, do something like this:

restore -s 128 -xzpi /dos/filename /dev/hdc

only in your case the target drive, being on the only IDE cable and controller, would be /dev/hda or /dev/hdb, depending on whether it was Master or Slave, and you should also omit

-xz

and just go with

-pi

because z doesn't really do anything useful that I can tell, and x, which is the "expand" command, can go wrong if you try to make it part of the restore process (which is also true when you do it with WinMFS instead).

I don't know why, but if you do the expansion later as a separate process with

mfsadd

it doesn't seem to have that problem.

In your case that would be

mfsadd /dev/hda

or

mfsadd /dev/hdb

depending, but first, after the restore completes, you should do

mfsinfo /dev/hdX

where X is a or b, to make sure everything looks okay, and then do the expansion.

With WinMFS, when it finishes the restore it'll tell you you have extra room on the drive (if you used a drive bigger than the original) and ask if you want to expand.

You should tell it NO.

Then you still use

mfsinfo

and then

mfsadd

but you click on them instead of typing them, and you'll already have told it which is the target drive.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #28
timckelley
TCFer

Thank you; I've been getting invalid argument errors doing the mount command, following the advice at http://www.mfslive.org/softwareguide.htm#series2restore

"To mount a USB external drive, USB thumb stick or SATA drive, plug-in the device first and run the following command:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /dos"

But I see your syntax says NTFS instead of vfat, so maybe that's my problem.

But first I thought I'd try your advice to run WinMFS as an administrator. You're right; I now see the drive. I selected it, and for the last several minutes it's been thinking but not moving forward to whatever the next screen is supposed to be. I'll keep
waiting and see if it eventually unlocks up.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #29
timckelley
TCFer

I could never get WinMFS to work but I did get the mount command to work in mfslive using your useful tips. The restore command worked too - I got the message

restore done! partition table on drive A is revalidated!

However, when I then typed in

Mfsinfo /dev/hdb,

I got the message

mfsinfo: volume header corrupt

That doesn't look good to me. Does anybody have ideas what the next thing I should try at this point would be?

There was a time, by the way, when windows detected this new HD and automatically installed drivers somewhere. Could this have goofed something up?

I've not yet done the expand command.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-14-2015, 01:11 AM   #30
unitron

Quote:
I could never get WinMFS to work but I did get the mount command to work in mfslive using your useful tips. The restore command worked too - I got the message

restore done! partition table on drive A is revalidated!

However, when I then typed in

Mfsinfo /dev/hdb,

I got the message

mfsinfo: volume header corrupt

That doesn't look good to me. Does anybody have ideas what the next thing I should try at this point would be?

There was a time, by the way, when windows detected this new HD and automatically installed drivers somewhere. Could this have goofed something up?

I've not yet done the expand command.
Go ahead and try that drive in the TiVo to see if you get as far as the change in the lights about 60 seconds after plugging in the power, and if it does quickly do whichever version of the KickStart routine is recommended for your model

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

and run KS 58, and see if that straightens it out.

Thanks For This Post: