TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
rorwizard

Drive won't Expand

Hello Everyone,

I need some help. I've spent hours looking through previous solutions on this forum and just haven't found an answer for my situation. I have a 1.5 TB that copies fine, no errors. Then when I go to expand I get the "Expand Did not finish successfully" error.

Equipment: TiVo Premiere 4

Background: My house was struck by lightning a few weeks ago, and fried all the HDMI ports in my house. I used the replacement program from TiVo to get a new box, and keep my discounted monthly rate. I then transfered all the shows from the old box to the new box via my network. Then took both drives out of the TiVo's, and copied the new drive to my previously expanded 1.5 TB drive out of the old unit. Copy worked fine, expand gives me the error. Both Hard drives work fine in the TiVo. Previous expansion with the same drive for the now bad TiVo was completed on the same computer/motherboard and hard drive, and I had no problems.

Troubleshooting: I've taken the following steps: Run a Full HD scan with WD's utility of my 1.5 tb drive and a full scan of the new TiVo's drive with SeaTools. Both come back with no errors. I tried re-starting the whole process with no luck. I've also done KS57 and KS58 on both drives, then tried to re expand and even re copy and re expand, still got the same symptoms. I also tried the hdparm method described in another thread but that says "HPA setting seems invalid"

fdisk gives me:

Disk /dev/sdb: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

hdparm -N /dev/sdb gives me:

dev/sdb:
max sectors = 18446744072344861488/2930277168(18446744072344861488?), HPA setting seems invalid
rorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
jmbach

What program are you using to expand. Should be using JMFS.
What size is the native drive.

Can you drop to command line and run . /mfslayout.sh on the drive you are trying to expand and post the results.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You should be using JMFS or DVRBars to copy/upgrade a Premiere drive. Most other programs will not even recognize it. Windows Disk manager will ruin the boot sector, so do not even call it up.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
rorwizard

Thanks for the responses. I'm using JMFS. I will get that info on the drive for you. However, I just bought a brand new drive, did another copy. And another expand. Same error. New drive is WD EZRX 2TB.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
rorwizard

when I run that command I get java.Lang.Exception: no root MFS found
Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
rorwizard

I take it back... When I run if I get:

java.io.IOException: Logical block is located beyond the current storage: block=1121, view=tivo.view.MfsView@1ef9f1d
And then 5 at lines

I also just tried to run mfsadd.sh from the command line and got an almost identical error.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
rorwizard

Sorry for the multiple messages, also trying to up my post count so I can pm...

I just saw that another user had almost an identical error. Is it possible that TiVo is blocking this with their newest software?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
unitron

2930277168 is the LBA number for a 1.5TB drive.

Nowadays, at least up through 2TB drives, the LBA number should end in 168 on all size drives, although of course the part before the 168 will vary with the drive size.

What brand and model motherboard are you using to do this drive wrangling and are you connecting straight to SATA ports on the motherboard or via USB adapters?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #9
rorwizard

Straight to SATA on an Intel DG33TL mother board. same board I used when I did the original expansion.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #10
jmbach

What source drive are you using for the copy.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #11
rorwizard

The 500 gb drive that shipped in the new box TiVo sent me
Old 09-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #12
jmbach

Well I have seen that error if the source drive is larger that 1TB. Was the replacement TiVo from Tivo itself or from another 3rd party.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #13
jmbach

Try using the scripts found here to copy your original drive to whatever drive you want as your final drive. Or for a test you can use DvrBARS to back up your original drive and restore it on your drive of choice. I would boot the target drive in the TiVo before expanding it.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #14
jmbach

If you are still having issues, then we will need to look deeper at image on the drive.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #15
rorwizard

Thanks for the reply jmbach. Unfortunately using those scripts is a bit out of my league. I could probably figure it out, but I have to go on a business trip tonight, so I don't have time. I'm just going to use the non expanded drive for now, and when I get home I'm planning on transferring all my recordings to a computer, then getting a clean image, installing and expanding that, and then transferring the recordings back. It will be a bit cumbersome, but hopefully that will work for me.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #16
jmbach

Might try DvrBARS to see if it can do a truncated backup and quick restore. If that goes cleanly, then see if that image can be expanded. If it can then do a modified back up and quick restore. This will transfer your recordings. Then do an expansion.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #17
jmbach

The other thing to try is a modified JMFS found here. This one resolves that error for large drives. I am beginning to suspect something with partition 10 is not correct. But you have already tried a KS 57 and 58. What version OS is the TiVo software is on the drive.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
rorwizard

Ok thanks. Will try it when I get back next week
Old 09-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #19
telemark

This part is a major issue you'll have to fix up before any of the Tivo-aware software will work correctly.
Quote:
hdparm -N /dev/sdb gives me:

dev/sdb:
max sectors = 18446744072344861488/2930277168(18446744072344861488?), HPA setting seems invalid
It should say something like (for a 1.5TB drive):
2930277168/2930277168

You might want to check through your BIOS settings to make sure it's not causing this being set. This first post has some names for it:
http://lime-technology.com/forum/ind...?topic=10866.0

If you find a culprit setting, you'll still have to undo the "damage" by hand, but at least any new drives you connect will be safe from the automatic modifications.

So the order to follow is, check your BIOS settings to make sure it's DISABLED.
Connect each of your NEW drives in turn, and reset the HPA to disabled, permanently.
Connect your OLD (source) drive and check it has never been set.
(If the source drive is set too, post back but don't modify it. We have to figure out if it's corrupted.)

If that all looks correct, then you can start over:
Clone the source to your target drive.
Run one of the Expander commands on the target drive.

For the super technical minded, there is some other bug, that hopefully can just be avoided...
18446744072344861488 is not a sane value. It looks like some kind of overflow of a register.
To track it down, for starters take a look at the CPU type, OS version, MB chipset, BIOS version, etc.
aka, no fun or very interesting to some.

Last edited by telemark : 09-28-2014 at 01:10 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
jmbach

hdparm issue might be related to what version of hdparm is being used and version OS it is running on and/or the hardware connection being used (SATA or usb). If I have the problem it is invariably using my dock via USB connection using the tools on the JMFS iso. If I change to eSata or use the latest Linux distro the issue does not happen. So far I never had the issue happen when connected via SATA or eSata for any version hdparm or OS version.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #21
telemark

Ya, I agree and had a similar experience, USB convertor was the culprit. But OP said he used direct connect SATA so it's not suppose to be a problem there. That leaves an old Linux OS or misbehaving motherboard chipset.

In any case, until the OS/tools report size correctly, it'll cause jmfs and other tools to barf.

The output of:
# dmesg | grep sdb
might be a more informative indicator of if there's an actual problem there.

Last edited by telemark : 09-28-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #22
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Ya, I agree and had a similar experience, USB convertor was the culprit. But OP said he used direct connect SATA so it's not suppose to be a problem there. That leaves an old Linux OS or misbehaving motherboard chipset.

In any case, until the OS/tools report size correctly, it'll cause jmfs and other tools to barf.

The output of:
# dmesg | grep sdb
might be a more informative indicator of if there's an actual problem there.
Wouldn't that make the next logical step to intentionally use a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 bridge/dock, then, to avoid SATA that may not be behaving as well as it should?
Old 09-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #23
telemark

Sure, that could do something better/interesting, if the OP has access to one.

I try to not recommend buying more hardware unless it's pretty certain that it'll be the ultimate fix to the problem, and with the number of variables and lack of details, it could be anything at this point.

In other words, here's to hoping it's just a Bios setting or new Linux CD away from working which might save the OP money.
(or he could have a USB dock already, in which case, I'd say go for it)
Old 09-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #24
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Sure, that could do something better/interesting, if the OP has access to one.

I try to not recommend buying more hardware unless it's pretty certain that it'll be the ultimate fix to the problem, and with the number of variables and lack of details, it could be anything at this point.

In other words, here's to hoping it's just a Bios setting or new Linux CD away from working which might save the OP money.
(or he could have a USB dock already, in which case, I'd say go for it)
As long as those who decide to buy docks or adapters go with USB 3.0, preferably with USAP support (not required, but a bonus), it's an investment, plus, then already on-hand, for the future, and can be used as a backup drive holder, when not playing around with TiVo drives.

I have more than I need, along with a lot a things. Anybody looking for some docks/adapters, either USB 2/3 (or 2TB drives, PCIe USB 3.0 add-in cards, AV QoS Gigabit Ethernet switches, regular green GigE switches, etc.), gets a TCF member discount, off of what I'd ask otherwise. Those in need, can PM me about it, so I don't come across as an opportunistic seller, flagrantly breaking forum rules...

Everything I'm willing to part with has been verified to work for TiVo usages.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
rorwizard

Quote:
This part is a major issue you'll have to fix up before any of the Tivo-aware software will work correctly.

It should say something like (for a 1.5TB drive):
2930277168/2930277168

You might want to check through your BIOS settings to make sure it's not causing this being set. This first post has some names for it:
http://lime-technology.com/forum/ind...?topic=10866.0

If you find a culprit setting, you'll still have to undo the "damage" by hand, but at least any new drives you connect will be safe from the automatic modifications.

So the order to follow is, check your BIOS settings to make sure it's DISABLED.
Connect each of your NEW drives in turn, and reset the HPA to disabled, permanently.
Connect your OLD (source) drive and check it has never been set.
(If the source drive is set too, post back but don't modify it. We have to figure out if it's corrupted.)

If that all looks correct, then you can start over:
Clone the source to your target drive.
Run one of the Expander commands on the target drive.

For the super technical minded, there is some other bug, that hopefully can just be avoided...
18446744072344861488 is not a sane value. It looks like some kind of overflow of a register.
To track it down, for starters take a look at the CPU type, OS version, MB chipset, BIOS version, etc.
aka, no fun or very interesting to some.
Hey guys, sorry it has taken me over a month to get back to this... I have been overwhelmed with a lack of time between work and other projects at home that were more urgent. I read through the post you linked. It does appear that the drive I am using as a source has HPA enabled.

I think this is especially strange, as before the lightning strike with the original TiVo premiere I had I did all this with no problems on the same computer, same motherboard. I'm wondering if the drive that came from TiVo with the replacement unit they sent me was all screwed up?

Anyway, so here is my current state: I'm attempting using DVRbars to make a backup and restore and see if I can expand that... but I'm getting an "insufficient memory" error during the backup.

I do have a USB adapter. Its USB 2.0, an older device I"ve had for a while.

Also because of the Delay I've had to send the disc I was copying from back to TiVo along with the old unit. So right now I've got the copied image, unexpanded on the 1.5 TB drive, that won't expand. That drive works fine in the TiVo. I've also got another 2.0 TB drive that I could copy/expand to, and use in my TiVo.

Where do I go from here? Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #26
unitron

Ask about that insufficient memory error message in this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #27
telemark

Start with a modern Linux+Tivo iso. From the DIY 4TB Premiere thread:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkyd1hwd0g...-tivotools.iso

There's something very odd about the 1.5TB from the old Tivo. Was this struck by lightning?

Don't run jmfs for expansion until the sector count appears correct. Running it for Layout is Ok.

Your options are:
* Get / use another (good) drive
* Try to rewrite the HPA setting using hdparm (some risk of making it worse)
* Patch jmfs to ignore the wrong sector count (not certain this will work but if the Tivo doesn't care yet it's wrong, it doesn't appear to care)
Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #28
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Ask about that insufficient memory error message in this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261
I'll be honest - I've never seen that before. I use that as a stock error message every time I try to allocate memory with malloc or realloc and it fails, but that has never happened. At its worst doing a Modified Full backup on a really large drive with lots of recordings I've seen DvrBARS eat up about a gig of memory, and that's peanuts compared to what even a 32-bit copy of XP with 512MB of memory can provide when you take the swap file into account.

At worst, it should have caused the swap file to increase. That's annoying and slow but it still works. To fail that drastically there had to be something else involved, and telemark's comments regarding insane values comes to mind. I'm not trying to duck out of responsibility, but something's really wrong here.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #29
telemark

For some humor or perspective-

18 446 744 072 344 861 488 * 512 bytes =
9.44473297 zettabytes
Old 11-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #30
rorwizard

I. Don't think there is anything wrong with the physical drive. I also tried to copy from the drive I got from TiVo to a brand new 2tb hard drive from the store. Can someone tell me how to find the correct value to give hdparm? Willing to try it.