TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
residentorca

Offline Clone Function for HDD copy?

I recently purchased an Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Dual-Bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station with Offline Clone Function. (Sorry I cannot post link to the dock as I am a newbie.) Would I be able to use its offline clone function to copy my TiVo HD's drive to another drive of the same size and avoid using a computer altogether? Thanks in advance!

residentorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
residentorca

Update: I checked on Amazon and one reviewer said it will work. I'm expecting the replacement drive to arrive soon and will provide an update about my experience.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
ggieseke

A byte-for-byte "clone" should work fine.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentorca View Post
Update: I checked on Amazon and one reviewer said it will work. I'm expecting the replacement drive to arrive soon and will provide an update about my experience.
You might want to double check some of those 1 star reviews on Amazon again. It appears to clone a drive you must have a new larger drive, it cannot clone to the same sized drive.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
residentorca

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
You might want to double check some of those 1 star reviews on Amazon again. It appears to clone a drive you must have a new larger drive, it cannot clone to the same sized drive.
I was able to clone a 1TB to a 1TB drive before with this dock but my attempt to clone the TiVo drive failed for unknown reasons so I used JMFS instead. I think it may depend on whether there are bad sectors on the disks being used.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
dougdingle
HD Tech

I have used the Mediasonic HUR2-SU3 cloning dock to clone my Roamio 3TB WD Green drive to an identical model drive at least half a dozen times in the last year. Works perfectly every time. Takes around 7 hours to clone the 3TB, which is half the time it used to take when I went through a spare machine I have using either a Windows cloning program or JMFS.

This particular dock seems to have been discontinued - I can find ONE left on Amazon.

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
residentorca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
I have used the Mediasonic HUR2-SU3 cloning dock to clone my Roamio 3TB WD Green drive to an identical model drive at least half a dozen times in the last year. Works perfectly every time. Takes around 7 hours to clone the 3TB, which is half the time it used to take when I went through a spare machine I have using either a Windows cloning program or JMFS. This particular dock seems to have been discontinued - I can find ONE left on Amazon.
Thanks for sharing the experience you had with offline cloning. It's definitely a time saver compared to using tools like JMFS. May I ask why you have to clone so often?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentorca View Post
Thanks for sharing the experience you had with offline cloning. It's definitely a time saver compared to using tools like JMFS. May I ask why you have to clone so often?
Having six tuners constantly being recorded (whether you're actually recording shows or not, all six tuners have the 30 minute buffer going) will, sooner or later, exceed the drive's useful life. Also, I would be very unhappy if I lost everything I have recorded (drive is about half full) due to a drive failure.

I have three 3TB drives, and I rotate them through every couple of months using the dock to clone them, usually overnight. It takes very little effort on my part, and in case of drive failure, the vast majority of my stuff is preserved.

I did it less often when I was using a spare machine I had to boot and it took 14 hours, but the cloning dock makes it ridiculously simple.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #9
oobx

how to clone on the hur2-su3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
I have used the Mediasonic HUR2-SU3 cloning dock to clone my Roamio 3TB WD Green drive to an identical model drive at least half a dozen times in the last year. Works perfectly every time. Takes around 7 hours to clone the 3TB, which is half the time it used to take when I went through a spare machine I have using either a Windows cloning program or JMFS.

This particular dock seems to have been discontinued - I can find ONE left on Amazon.
I have an HUR2-SU3. I have been looking for a manual online for an hour or more with no luck. Maybe it's in my closet somewhere. But, I just need to know how to clone a 72GB platter drive to my new PNY 240GB SSD. I have it in clone mode and the smaller drive in the slot labeled "source HDD" and the larger drive in the other slot. I pressed the button for a second and it just blinked the orange light for five seconds. Then, I pressed it for a few seconds and it started blinking the blue light for hours. It never made it past the left blue light. It seems like it should progress to the next one until the 4th, each indicating 25% complete. But, it never progressed. I pressed the button again and now the 25% blue light and the orange light are blinking.

Thanks in advance.

oobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #10
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobx View Post
I have an HUR2-SU3. I have been looking for a manual online for an hour or more with no luck. Maybe it's in my closet somewhere. But, I just need to know how to clone a 72GB platter drive to my new PNY 240GB SSD. I have it in clone mode and the smaller drive in the slot labeled "source HDD" and the larger drive in the other slot. I pressed the button for a second and it just blinked the orange light for five seconds. Then, I pressed it for a few seconds and it started blinking the blue light for hours. It never made it past the left blue light. It seems like it should progress to the next one until the 4th, each indicating 25% complete. But, it never progressed. I pressed the button again and now the 25% blue light and the orange light are blinking.

Thanks in advance.
I just tried it with two old 1TB drives. Here's what works for me:

-Disconnect dock from the computer totally, power off.
-Switch on back to 'clone'.
-Connect the drives, power up the dock
-Once both drives have 'spun up', orange light in middle goes solid. It should not blink again.
-Press and hold the 'clone' button on front until the first blue light on the left starts blinking.
-Once it starts blinking, the cloning process has started. The first blue light should go solid at 25% completion, next blue light starts blinking, and so on. Once all four blue lights are solid, it's done. A 72GB drive should go quickly, less than 30 minutes.
-Once it completes, you'll need to use Windows Disk management or some partitioning program to expand the new drive to full size (it will be 72GB when the cloning is done, with lots of free space behind the first partition).

EDIT: The last step using Windows Disk Management or a partitioning program will not work on TiVo drives. It's only useful for drives to be used in Windows.

Last edited by dougdingle; 08-05-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #11
TiVoTJung

i bought one of those disk to disk copy and it works. i bought a 4tb image off of ebay and copied it and threw it in my tivo with no issues

TiVoTJung is offline   Reply With Quote