TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2016, 02:41 AM   #1
ToDoList

Please Help...Roamio Upgrade Advice Needed

Hello Tivo Community:

I want to update the internal 500GB Seagate Hard Drive (Model St3500414CS) that was installed in my Tivo Roamio (Model: TCD846500) (4 Tuner With Cablecard). I sifted throught the hard drive upgrade suggestions on this site, and went with the WD Red 2TB NAS Drive. (Model WD20EFRX) (NASware 3.0 Date: May 03, 2016) I currently have a Windows 7 64bit PC with an available internal SATA connection.

This site says I should be able to simply drop a 3TB (and under) drive into my Tivo, and get rolling. Before I do that, I just wanted to check and make sure I didn't have to do anything to the drive prior to installation. If you guys could answer the following questions, it would put my mind at ease.

01. Do I have to use the WD SMART Load/Unload Utility (WD5741) to adjust the timing on my drive? (I'm thinking this program is an alternative to WDIDLE) If so, what should it be adjusted to?

02. Should I run a diagnostic test before, or after installing the drive in my Tivo? I want to make sure there are no bad sectors, so I'm going to use WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics For Windows and run the extended test. My concern is that if I hook this brand new drive up to my computer, Windows 7 might take over and try to do something before I have a chance to run the WD Software.

03. Should I run the WD Diagnostic Test, or adjust the timing first? (If at all)

04. After I install the new drive into my Roamio, should I power it on with the cablecard in, or remove it and then insert it later after the setup process? I'm trying to keep it paired with my tivo...if at all possible. (Motorola Cablecard with Verizon FIOS)

Thank you in advance for all of your help. This is my first post so please bear with me.

Last edited by ToDoList; 08-22-2016 at 06:35 AM.
ToDoList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

1. No. WDidle timer is not an issue with Roamios any more, but PUIS setting is, if you use the WD Green drives. (I recommend WD Red.)
2. You could test it prior.
3. same as 2.
4. When you swap the drive, the Tivo will be as if it was new (except for the Tivo Software version) with no shows. Yes, you can just swap drives up to 3 TB without a PC as long as the software is the latest. With a 2 TB, it will get filled up pretty fast, depending on how much you record.

I recommend you download shows to PC (as a backup) with KMTTG and transfer back afterwards, PyTivo is recommended.

I have a WD Red 4TB drive and just use OTA. Its kept at 1/2 full, with downloads of shows to PC.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to start streaming on Roamio/Bolt!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:34 AM   #3
ToDoList

Thank you for your help ThAbtO.

ToDoList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
bungi43
Ins Agent (GO VOLS)

[QUOTE=ThAbtO;10974039]1. No. WDidle timer is not an issue with Roamios any more, but PUIS setting is, if you use the WD Green drives. (I recommend WD Red.)
2. You could test it prior.
3. same as 2.
4. When you swap the drive, the Tivo will be as if it was new (except for the Tivo Software version) with no shows. Yes, you can just swap drives up to 3 TB without a PC as long as the software is the latest. With a 2 TB, it will get filled up pretty fast, depending on how much you record.

I recommend you download shows to PC (as a backup) with KMTTG and transfer back afterwards, PyTivo is recommended.

So I just bought a new Roamio OTA...which I haven't really recorded anything on. I can take out the 1 TB HD that came with it, stick this one in and it'll just fire right up? As simple as plug-n-play?

bungi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
bungi43
Ins Agent (GO VOLS)

Sorry....this is what I was asking about in post above.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JJLW4M...ing=UTF8&psc=1

bungi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi43 View Post
So I just bought a new Roamio OTA...which I haven't really recorded anything on. I can take out the 1 TB HD that came with it, stick this one in and it'll just fire right up? As simple as plug-n-play?
If you hope that swapping drives from 1 Tivo to another will preserve your shows, then no. The shows are encoded to the specific Tivo it was originally recorded from. You can copy/transfer shows between the Tivo to another PC/Tivo.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to start streaming on Roamio/Bolt!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote