TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
mike`l

Will TiVo S2 modem work on a Uverse phone line

I find myself in a weird situation trying to 'bootstrap' a new replacement drive for my S2. I did a search and have not found anyone else that has had this issue so now I must ask....

Backgound... The large drive (320gb WD) that I had in my S2 (nightlight) lifetime tivo died without warning after about 5 years on the job. I tried the freezer trick to mirror it onto a new drive (500gb), but the old one just wont initialize. It only clicks a few times then spins down.

Situation: I need to initialize a new blank drive for my S2. I successfully used instantcake to load the image. The problem is that instantcake contains a highly out of date version of the tivo software (somewhere around v5 IIRC) that does not natively support my linksys usb network adapter. So it needs to be connected to a phone line in order to update itself to the latest tivo software before the usb network adapter will come up again. Basically a very long and convoluted 'bootstrap' process.

Problem: I do not have a phone line of any kind. My parents have Uverse with a phone line that terminates in their RG. Basically not a 'real' phone line that terminates back to the CO. If I take my tivo over there will it connect on such a line? Or do I need to seek out one of my friends that might still have a copper POTS line and beg them to use it?
mike`l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=388695

You can research here and may find a later image, but you need to note which model exactly (label on back, follow TCD), Saying S2 nightlight is not quite exact. However, I suspect its a TCD540 and there is more recent image, 9.32b or so.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
mike`l

Thanks. It is a TCD540. I am going to try the phone line first and if it does not work I will try the image route.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
unitron

For use with the MFS Live cd v1.4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/540040c.bak

For use with WinMFS

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/540040c.tbk

These images are from a 540040 which originally came with a Maxtor 40GB hard drive, and back then those were slightly bigger than other brands' 40GB hard drive (higher LBA number), therefore you'll probably need a bigger than 40GB drive to restore to.

And with either one, do the expansion as a separate process after the restoration is done and you've tested it in the TiVo (where it'll have to go through some stuff because the image was taken from a TiVo with a different Tivo Service Number than your TiVo, since TSNs are unique)

With WinMFS, this means when it says you have extra space and offers to expand, you tell it no.

With MFS Live, this means that when you run

restore

you do not use the

-x

option (and you might as well skip the -z option as well), so you just wind up with

-pi

In both cases, when you hook the new drive back up to the PC, you use the

mfsadd

command to expand.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
mike`l

Thanks for your reply. In my case it did work with the U-verse phone line. It took many hours to download over the phone, but when I went back yesterday it had rebooted and was running 9.3.2c Although a painful process, my tivo is up an running again!

Last edited by mike`l : 01-20-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: version number