TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Lyrical1

gbit Ethernet on all Roamios?

I’d read here in a few posts that one of the differences between the basic Roamio and the other two (Plus and Pro) is that the basic unit is not capable of the same Ethernet speeds as the Plus and Pro.

I just spoke to a CSR at TiVo who told me that they all have the exact same speeds, i.e. 1 gbit.

Can someone please give me the correct information? Thank you.
Lyrical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
kbmb

The Basic only has 10/100 while the Plus/Pro have gigabit. I have both a Basic and Plus and can confirm the basic only 10/100.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
thewebgal

Yeah, but Basic has off-air capability ...
thewebgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Lyrical1

Thank you for the clarification.

I asked the CSR if the basic, the Pro, and the Plus all have the same network speeds and she told me they were the same. Just to make sure, I asked a second time if all three Roamio units have the exact same Ethernet speeds and she confirmed that they did.

Being a support rep in the consumer tech field must be a difficult job and probably doesn’t pay as well as it should. Nevertheless, I expected to get a correct answer to a question about Ethernet speeds. [sigh]
Lyrical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrical1 View Post
Thank you for the clarification.

I asked the CSR if the basic, the Pro, and the Plus all have the same network speeds and she told me they were the same. Just to make sure, I asked a second time if all three Roamio units have the exact same Ethernet speeds and she confirmed that they did.

Being a support rep in the consumer tech field must be a difficult job and probably doesn’t pay as well as it should. Nevertheless, I expected to get a correct answer to a question about Ethernet speeds. [sigh]
Sadly Tivo's support has basically gone in the dumpster. You'll get better support on these forums than you will with Tivo CSRs.

-Kevin
Old 01-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Having "only" 10/100 will not impede performance of the unit in any way in 99% of scenarios.

If you're planning on using it as a hub of a system with a bunch of other units and several minis and have them all in use xfering shows you could max it out, or if you were copying a large number of shows from an older unit when setting it up... but HD transfer rates are generally going to be your bottleneck there, and adding a couple minutes to a one-time event shouldnt be a deal-breaker, I wouldnt think.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrical1 View Post
I asked the CSR if the basic, the Pro, and the Plus all have the same network speeds and she told me they were the same. [sigh]
There may be two items swirling into this discussion, only one of which the CSR was trained to respond to:

1) The Roamio Basic has a physical Ethernet port capable of either a 10 or 100 Mbit/second =connection=. The Roamio Plus and Pro have Ethernet ports capable of a =connection= at 10, 100 or 1 Gigabit/second. This is pretty straightforward, and clearly the CSR didn't know this point.

but

2) The transfer =speed= of all the Roamios, on a per-stream basis (say, streaming from a Roamio to a Mini) may, for all I know, be the same. This would imply that something other than the transfer rate over the physical media is the limiting factor (say, for example, transcoding, or hard disk speed).

So, in day to day use, I don't think you will suffer with the Roamio basic. It is what I have, and it meets my needs, even though I wish it had Gigabit Ethernet, just for the OCD in me, when I look at the Ethernet switch, and see the one yellow LED (for 100 Mb/sec), next to a row of Green LEDs (for 1 Gb/sec for my other devices).

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The transfer speeds are not the same. The Plus/Pro can get up into the 160 Mbps range. The Base Roamio can only do about 90 (and, unlike any other TiVo, PS vs. TS makes no difference). It's the only TiVo model ever where the Ethernet port itself appears to be the limiting factor on transfer speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The transfer speeds are not the same. The Plus/Pro can get up into the 160 Mbps range. The Base Roamio can only do about 90 (and, unlike any other TiVo, PS vs. TS makes no difference). It's the only TiVo model ever where the Ethernet port itself appears to be the limiting factor on transfer speed.
So, it would be a limiting factor when coping shows to/from a Roamio Plus/Pro or a pc/mac... as long as that device has the bandwidth available. (Premiers w/ Gigabit gets up to like ~120, only with multiple data streams, if I remember correctly)
I should have qualified my statement that unless you are in the subset of people copying programs around regularly... and sit and watch the xfers (instead of throwing out a 99% like I did), its not much of a/not a bottleneck in routine, average usage. Im sure my statement was also colored by the fact that essentially all of my xfers are (MRS or Tivo Stream) streams for the past year or two. <shrug>
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
dbattaglia001

So, if all I do is transfer shows via tivo stream or between other premieres or roamios connected via MOCA, it seems to me that I wouldn't be adversely affected getting base model roamio. I see no issues right now with transferring shows with my TiVo premiere xl and Elite. So I'm thinking base model roamio will satisfy my needs.
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
So, if all I do is transfer shows via tivo stream or between other premieres or roamios connected via MOCA, it seems to me that I wouldn't be adversely affected getting base model roamio. I see no issues right now with transferring shows with my TiVo premiere xl and Elite. So I'm thinking base model roamio will satisfy my needs.
Unless you are timing the transfers, you will not notice a difference. From a user perspective, everything will seem the same.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Diana Collins

If you are using MOCA, then the Ethernet port speed is irrelevant. MOCA tops out at around 150 Mbits/second.
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
rainwater

If you are using it with cable, the chances of being able to actual transfer and download shows is getting less and less with the copy protection flag being set on more and more channels. With streaming now being to preferred method, whether you have gigabit or not, you will not see much real world difference.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
If you are using MOCA, then the Ethernet port speed is irrelevant. MOCA tops out at around 150 Mbits/second.
The Base Roamio doesn't have MoCA built in (you need an external adapter), so it's still limited by the Ethernet port.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The Base Roamio doesn't have MoCA built in (you need an external adapter), so it's still limited by the Ethernet port.
Even using wireless you seem to be limited by the ethernet speeds. It seems like the wireless is routed through the Ethernet interface. Since the wireless speeds are unable to exceed the wired speeds. Even though my Roamio Basic can get 300Mb/s link rates, I've not seen wireless exceed 95Mb/s. Any other device I have that gets a 300Mb/s link rate will exceed 100Mb/s throughput speeds.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #16
kturcotte

Wish they all included Gb ports! With features missing from the base unit, it feels like those of us usibg the Roamio for OTA ate being penalized.
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Wish they all included Gb ports! With features missing from the base unit, it feels like those of us usibg the Roamio for OTA ate being penalized.
The Basic's aren't missing much. Even the Gigabit ports on the Plus/Pro are slow (compared to a full fledged computer).

-Kevin
Old 01-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #18
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
The Basic's aren't missing much. Even the Gigabit ports on the Plus/Pro are slow (compared to a full fledged computer).

-Kevin
Smallest hard drive (Fixable)
100Mb ethernet port (Not fixable)
MOCA not built in (Fixable)
External box required to watch on external devices
No component output (This is why I use my PS3 for Nwtflux and Hulu Plus) (Not fixable)
4 tuners instead of 6 (Not fixable)

I'd have paid for a Tivo will all these features but also worked with OTA
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #19
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Smallest hard drive (Fixable)
100Mb ethernet port (Not fixable)
MOCA not built in (Fixable)
External box required to watch on external devices
No component output (This is why I use my PS3 for Nwtflux and Hulu Plus) (Not fixable)
4 tuners instead of 6 (Not fixable)

I'd have paid for a Tivo will all these features but also worked with OTA
I was just comparing the fact that even with Gigabit on the Plus/Pro, the ports are slow. So whether it's 10/100 or 10/100/1000, the performance between them are pretty close.

-Kevin
Old 01-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #20
Diana Collins

Quote:
My point was that even a pro on MOCA will only have a max of 150Mbps available and I haven't seen anyone having any difficulty with transfers or streaming over MOCA.
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

The only time, in my use, that the slower speeds from the Roamio Basic has come into play is when I want to transfer several shows to it and I have limited time because I need to take the box to my GFs house. Since it's almost half as slow to the Roamio Basic it takes almost twice as long. Which isn't really a big deal unless I'm pressed for time. If I transfer the content the night before, like I should do, there is no issue.

In normal use if I want to transfer something from my TiVo Desktop machine to my Roamio Basic, I just hit transfer and start watching right away. I would think my situation where I carry my Roamio Basic with me is not the norm for most people.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #22
tre74

I really wanted the basic to have gigabit connection. I didn't expect it to do anything better than my Premiere. I had a two hour program in the TiVo desktop that I wanted on the Roamio. I had setup a new gigabit network and put an adapter on my non gig PC and started to transfer the show to the Roamio. It went over in about 25 minutes. That was good enough for me. The Stream has always done its job. I have watched a recorded show on the Premiere while sending it to two iphones and an iPad at the same time without any issues. I was trying to see if my router would go out before the Stream.
tre74 is offline   Reply With Quote