TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
d_bondi

TiVo Premiere 2TB (WD20EURX) Upgrade Failed - Please Help

OK, I used jmfs to upgrade from stock 320GB to a new 2TB WD20EURX on my TiVo Premiere. You guys were great and it worked fine, or so I thought....

This all transpired 3 weeks or so ago. After a seemingly smooth day 1 and maybe 2, the unit got very sluggish, and eventually got to where it was rebooting, and wouldn't complete a connection to the TiVo Service. It would take a VERY long time, and then hang forever on the Loading Info step. It seemed to try to function during this, but all of the recordings were cut short. Some by a few minutes, some by half an hour.

So.... I opened up the unit, removed the new 2TB WD20EURX, and re-installed the stock 320GB drive. It booted up, connected to the TiVo Service, and loaded pretty quickly. It has been acting just fine.

As a note: Before I installed the 2TB WD20EURX I did run the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, long test on it, and it passed.

Now what?

Do you think I just got a bad transfer/copy and need to try again? I used jmfs and two USB/SATA cables on an old Windows XP box.

Any help will be appreciated.

"Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently motivated idiot"
d_bondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bondi View Post
OK, I used jmfs to upgrade from stock 320GB to a new 2TB WD20EURX on my TiVo Premiere. You guys were great and it worked fine, or so I thought....

This all transpired 3 weeks or so ago. After a seemingly smooth day 1 and maybe 2, the unit got very sluggish, and eventually got to where it was rebooting, and wouldn't complete a connection to the TiVo Service. It would take a VERY long time, and then hang forever on the Loading Info step. It seemed to try to function during this, but all of the recordings were cut short. Some by a few minutes, some by half an hour.

So.... I opened up the unit, removed the new 2TB WD20EURX, and re-installed the stock 320GB drive. It booted up, connected to the TiVo Service, and loaded pretty quickly. It has been acting just fine.

As a note: Before I installed the 2TB WD20EURX I did run the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, long test on it, and it passed.

Now what?

Do you think I just got a bad transfer/copy and need to try again? I used jmfs and two USB/SATA cables on an old Windows XP box.

Any help will be appreciated.
At this point, from this distance, I'd say re-run the long test on the 2TB and see if it still passes.

If it does, re-install and see this

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

for the Premiere specific procedure, and run KS 58 on it.

Do you have a tuning adapter for Switched Digital Video in addition to your cable card?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
d_bondi

PL, I'll re-run the long test on the WD20EURX.

Are you saying that if it passes, just re-install it "As Is", and don't re-run jmfs?

As for the tuning adapter for Switched Digital Video, I'm not sure what that is, so I'll say "No" I don't have one. Just a Comcast/Xfinity M-Card.

I'm traveling (son's spring break) and will do the test, etc.. in a few days.

Thanks again, unitron!

Old 04-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
PL, I'll re-run the long test on the WD20EURX.

Are you saying that if it passes, just re-install it "As Is", and don't re-run jmfs?

As for the tuning adapter for Switched Digital Video, I'm not sure what that is, so I'll say "No" I don't have one. Just a Comcast/Xfinity M-Card.

I'm traveling (son's spring break) and will do the test, etc.. in a few days.

Thanks again, unitron!
The WD test is for the drive itself, so if the drive is still physically fine, then the working assumption is that something's wrong with the TiVo software on it, and KS 58 will give the TiVo a chance to fix that. We hope.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
d_bondi

OK, I connected the WD20EURX (via USB/SATA adaptor) and ran the diagnostics. It failed both Quick and Extended.
QUICK
Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete!
Status Code-7 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test)
SMART self-test did not complete on drive2!

EXTENDED:
Too many bad sectors detected.
Fortunately, it was still within the 30 day return window at Amazon, and it is going back tomorrow. Replacement being overnighted to me. Gotta love Amazon customer service.

I ran these tests and they both passed before completing the jfms procedure and installing in the TiVo Premiere. Any ideas on why it is now having problems?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

because it is broken. No way to know why.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
I ran these tests and they both passed before completing the jfms procedure and installing in the TiVo Premiere. Any ideas on why it is now having problems?
Infant mortality. Is the TiVo on a UPS? If not, did you have any power flickers? Did you check the MBT to see if it was running hot?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
... Any ideas on why it is now having problems?
Gremlins.

Or it hates you.

Or both.

You'll notice I have not included any sort of graphic to indicate that I'm merely being humorous.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
d_bondi

unitron - you are likely right, "both"

lpwcomp - MBT was in the 36 to 39 range. No I don't have my TiVo on a UPS and I don't recall any power issues.

If a UPS is recommended, is something small like the APC BE350G ($40 @ Amazon) OK? I assume we're just trying to protect from brown-outs.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
unitron - you are likely right, "both"

lpwcomp - MBT was in the 36 to 39 range. No I don't have my TiVo on a UPS and I don't recall any power issues.

If a UPS is recommended, is something small like the APC BE350G ($40 @ Amazon) OK? I assume we're just trying to protect from brown-outs.
And momentary flickers, where the disk doesn't have a chance to spin down and soft land the heads before it starts spinning up again, although modern drives seem to be less susceptible to damage that way. Yes, that UPS should be fine. Even if it isn't needed to protect the disk, it does keep you from missing part of a recording while the TiVo reboots following a brief outage.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote