TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
dochawk

Romeo, Cox Las Vegas, and streaming

I need to get real high speed internet (currently using clear, which runs on cellular bands and is erratic).

I currently have directv, which I've had for about 10 years--and bought to feed the directivo, not for itself. After the tivos dies, we ended up with these wretched dvrs of theirs (horrid, nasty things).

It appears that the only way for me to feed a tivo again is either OTA, or Cox.

And as I google around, I'm getting mixed answers on what a Romio could and couldn't do with Cox.

1) Do I need a tuning adapter in addition to the cards? http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=505630 seems to say so, but I'm not finding it on their website.

2) Am I really unable to stream most recorded shows to iPads in the house, or even a tivo mini? A couple of pages said that only the major network shows won't have the copy once bit set, and that this prevents the streaming. (I really don't care about offsite streaming).

3) And I take it that the video on demand still doesn't work?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochawk View Post
I need to get real high speed internet (currently using clear, which runs on cellular bands and is erratic).

I currently have directv, which I've had for about 10 years--and bought to feed the directivo, not for itself. After the tivos dies, we ended up with these wretched dvrs of theirs (horrid, nasty things).

It appears that the only way for me to feed a tivo again is either OTA, or Cox.

And as I google around, I'm getting mixed answers on what a Romio could and couldn't do with Cox.

1) Do I need a tuning adapter in addition to the cards? http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=505630 seems to say so, but I'm not finding it on their website.

2) Am I really unable to stream most recorded shows to iPads in the house, or even a tivo mini? A couple of pages said that only the major network shows won't have the copy once bit set, and that this prevents the streaming. (I really don't care about offsite streaming).

3) And I take it that the video on demand still doesn't work?
1. Yes, You need a Tuning Adapter. (they are free)

2. You can stream any show between the Roamio and Mini. You cannot transfer copy protected shows.

3. No Ondemand with Cox
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
dochawk

Thanks.

In addition to the mini, can the kids stream to their iPads over the wiFi?

And does the tuning adapter let all six tuners record, or is that capped/limited?

I assume that I'll buy a Netgear, model # CG3000D for the modem, and stick an Apple Airport on it for my wireless (may as well get aac; my next couple of machines will have it . . .)

Are there any more dragons in the moat that I should be worrying about?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
vurbano

Quote:
Thanks.

In addition to the mini, can the kids stream to their iPads over the wiFi?

And does the tuning adapter let all six tuners record, or is that capped/limited?

I assume that I'll buy a Netgear, model # CG3000D for the modem, and stick an Apple Airport on it for my wireless (may as well get aac; my next couple of machines will have it . . .)

Are there any more dragons in the moat that I should be worrying about?
yes
not capped. just installed a 6 tuner roamio plus and mini for my father on cox with tuning adapter and cable card
not sure, will the mini and roamio be wired with Ethernet or MOCA?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
dochawk

I can probably do whatever. At the moment, there's dual coax to the directv switch (roughly above the television) to a couple of rooms. This is probably where the cable will come in. The holes are already there, with wire through them, so dropping new line is easy.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Thanks.
Don't get a Modem/Router combo from Cox, or anyone else
Stick with a standalone Cable Modem and a separate WiFi router.
I would stick with Motorola or Cisco not Netgear.

For a Cox cable modem you want one of the following, in order of newest/best first. This list comes directly from the Cox Atlanta DOCSIS Engineer "odog"
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28934860-
  • Arris/Motorola SB6182 - 2nd Gen 8x4 DOCSIS3- (not sold retail, but you likely can get it at your local Cox store)
  • Arris/Mororola SB6141 - 1.5 Gen 8x4 DOCSIS3 - Purchase anywhere, Costco, Amazon even Cox, black or white
  • Cisco DPC3010 - 1st Gen 8x4 DOCSIS3 from the Cox Store if they still have them
  • Motorola SB6180 - 1st Gen 8x4 DOCSIS3
The Arris/Motorola SB6121 - 4x4 DOCSIS3, is still a good modem for the cheep, as long as you do not want the Cox Ultimate HSI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-19-2014 at 05:24 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
dochawk

Once you get deep enough to order, the local cox suggested that netgear and another--but I'd rather an engineer's advice

So the standalone modem (I'd thought to just turn off the router), then the airport with it's 3 band wifi, and three gigabit lines--one for the tivo, one for the back of the house switch (to the bedrooms), and one for a front of the house switch if I ever want it.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
I can probably do whatever. At the moment, there's dual coax to the directv switch (roughly above the television) to a couple of rooms. This is probably where the cable will come in. The holes are already there, with wire through them, so dropping new line is easy.
if you have dual coax feeds for your directv then it sounds like you're still on their Old non SWiM system with old DVRs. Their new genie system DVRs are much nicer. Not trying to sway you from TiVo, just sayin. I made the switch from genie to TiVo if that tells you anything. Also, you should be able to just use the coax drops already in place from DirecTV.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
dochawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
if you have dual coax feeds for your directv then it sounds like you're still on their Old non SWiM system with old DVRs.
I think both Tivos are R10s, and the evil boxes are "dvr plus". Both tivo came back with us when we returned in 2005, and lost a tuner at a time.

Quote:
Their new genie system DVRs are much nicer.
So is a visit to a dentist who doesn't believe in Novocaine . . .

[/quote]Not trying to sway you from TiVo, just sayin. I made the switch from genie to TiVo if that tells you anything. Also, you should be able to just use the coax drops already in place from DirecTV.[/quote]

Those aren't in place from Tivo, but from yours truly. The techs would have put it outside or through the walls; I got them to leave properly lengthed cables and crawled through the attic with my drill.

At the moment, they all feed to that switch (2005 vintage)