Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #121
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
Okay - so this coming week is when my friends and I will first gather to watch the competition together and pick who we think will win. I, once again, have not watched any of the episodes to this point...

So, y'all tell me, please. Who should I put my money on to win the whole shebang this year?

I think I have the last two on the TiVo - and will go watch Majesty and Caleb based on Maui's notes above.
If I had to put money on someone to win, I would pick:

1. Sam Woolf
2. Alex Preston

They are the closest fit to the type of person who usually wins AI. Either of them could be the next Lee DeWyze. Alex looks like he could be related to Lee DeWyze.

If I had a record label and was picking who I thought could be the biggest star and make me the most money, I would pick:

1. Majesty
2. Emily Piriz
3. C.J. or maybe Dexter. These guys aren't "stars" but they could end up selling more than Sam or Alex.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #122
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
Seems like there could be a decent show each season - "AI2" - with 10 or so of the rejects.
If you mean rejects prior to reaching the semi-finals, I am convinced that the producers keep some singers back because they feel, "Well, they're Top 20 good right now, but another year of work and they'll be Tour good." Keep in mind that, through Season 11, if you made it to the semi-finals, you couldn't audition for future seasons. (I am still surprised that none of last year's eliminated semi-finalists even made it to the final 30 this year. Then again, only seven of them were eligible, and this assumes that any of them even bothered to try again, or weren't already signed to recording deals.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #123
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
If you mean rejects prior to reaching the semi-finals, I am convinced that the producers keep some singers back because they feel, "Well, they're Top 20 good right now, but another year of work and they'll be Tour good." Keep in mind that, through Season 11, if you made it to the semi-finals, you couldn't audition for future seasons. (I am still surprised that none of last year's eliminated semi-finalists even made it to the final 30 this year. Then again, only seven of them were eligible, and this assumes that any of them even bothered to try again, or weren't already signed to recording deals.)
In general, I don't think Idol milks the franchise enough (which surprises me). I've always thought an "Idol All-Stars" show would do well. You'd exclude the winners and the people like J-Hud and Daughtry who didn't win but went on to have success (and who wouldn't want to do it, anyway), but anyone else who had been a finalist and had lost their eligibility to be a contestant again could do it. And, like in my other example, bring back Paula and maybe Randy to be judges. Simon wouldn't do it but judges would be easy to find - maybe a past winner like Kelly Clarkson. It would give the contestants another shot at a recording career and would let fans see some of their old favorites again. People would watch that.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #124
brettatk
Thread Killer

Quote:
If I had to put money on someone to win, I would pick:

1. Sam Woolf
2. Alex Preston

They are the closest fit to the type of person who usually wins AI. Either of them could be the next Lee DeWyze. Alex looks like he could be related to Lee DeWyze.

I'll agree with Sam and Alex. Not because I particularly like them but because like you mentioned they are who the AI voters usually go for. Two girls with an outside chance are Majesty and MK, although MK has already been in the bottom 3.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #125
stellie93

Quote:
In general, I don't think Idol milks the franchise enough (which surprises me). I've always thought an "Idol All-Stars" show would do well. You'd exclude the winners and the people like J-Hud and Daughtry who didn't win but went on to have success (and who wouldn't want to do it, anyway), but anyone else who had been a finalist and had lost their eligibility to be a contestant again could do it. And, like in my other example, bring back Paula and maybe Randy to be judges. Simon wouldn't do it but judges would be easy to find - maybe a past winner like Kelly Clarkson. It would give the contestants another shot at a recording career and would let fans see some of their old favorites again. People would watch that.
I like this idea, but why would anyone want to bring back Randy and Paula? I love this year's judges (especially Keith) and I'm glad to be rid of the old ones. Randy's ok in his current role, and while Paula was better than last year's women, that's not saying much. I do miss Simon, but I can't seem to get into his new show.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #126
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I like this idea, but why would anyone want to bring back Randy and Paula? I love this year's judges (especially Keith) and I'm glad to be rid of the old ones. Randy's ok in his current role, and while Paula was better than last year's women, that's not saying much. I do miss Simon, but I can't seem to get into his new show.
It would be a separate show (on during an Idol hiatus) and would need separate judges. Keith/Harry/J-Lo aren't going to do it. I was just going for the nostalgia angle - since the contestants are retreads why not bring back former judges? And Randy will seem to do anything Idol-related. I'm sure the budget would be a lot less then AI, and Paula and Randy would probably work for free at this point. But sure, bring in some new blood. (Trust me, I'm tired of seeing Randy Jackson on Idol, but someone must like him because he's always there.) Howsabout all former contestants as judges? That could be fun. Maybe Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken and Kelly Pickler?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #127
SNJpage1

After listening to last years winner last night I dont think she going to go any place. I commented last year that she should have headed to Broadway where she has a better chance of making it big.
I feel sorry for the rock guy because the producers will never let him win. They will pick songs like they did 2 years ago that a rock singer is not interested in singing. Two years ago they had them singing Beatles, Motown and Billy Joel. A rock singer is not going to get into that type of music. The producers want some one who will sell records to the 12 to 18 yr range. So it has to be middle of the road pop.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #128
stellie93

Quote:
It would be a separate show (on during an Idol hiatus) and would need separate judges. Keith/Harry/J-Lo aren't going to do it. I was just going for the nostalgia angle - since the contestants are retreads why not bring back former judges? And Randy will seem to do anything Idol-related. I'm sure the budget would be a lot less then AI, and Paula and Randy would probably work for free at this point. But sure, bring in some new blood. (Trust me, I'm tired of seeing Randy Jackson on Idol, but someone must like him because he's always there.) Howsabout all former contestants as judges? That could be fun. Maybe Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken and Kelly Pickler?
That does sound like a good idea. Like a summer show.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #129
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
After listening to last years winner last night I dont think she going to go any place. I commented last year that she should have headed to Broadway where she has a better chance of making it big.
I really liked Candace last year but I was not enamored of that song last night at all.

Quote:
Two years ago they had them singing Beatles, Motown and Billy Joel. A rock singer is not going to get into that type of music.

In defense of the rock guy a couple of years ago (James Durbin) he totally kicked ass on a Carole King song.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #130
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I really liked Candace last year but I was not enamored of that song last night at all.
Last year was one of the rare occasions where the best singer won. Whether she can make it as a pop star remains to be seen. I'd agree that she'd be great on Broadway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1
I feel sorry for the rock guy because the producers will never let him win. They will pick songs like they did 2 years ago that a rock singer is not interested in singing. Two years ago they had them singing Beatles, Motown and Billy Joel. A rock singer is not going to get into that type of music. The producers want some one who will sell records to the 12 to 18 yr range. So it has to be middle of the road pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui
In defense of the rock guy a couple of years ago (James Durbin) he totally kicked ass on a Carole King song.
Chris Daughtry laid out the blueprint for what a rock singer (or anyone, really) needs to do: your perform in your style each week, regardless of the theme. Make the songs conform to who you are and how you perform. If you're a metal guy and it's Motown week, you don't try to sing like Smokey Robinson, you turn a Motown song into a metal song. Daughtry did that perfectly, and some others, like David Cook and Adam Lambert, took a similar strategy and were successful. To me, that's how you do it. Win or lose, you've created a great audition tape for who you are as an artist.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #131
SoBelle0
What's next?

Thanks for the vote info, guys. I'll watch Sam, Alex, and Majesty and pick from those.
I haven't won in years - and it would be kind of fun to take home the pot. If I pick one of those and win, I'll buy y'all a drink.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #132
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
That does sound like a good idea. Like a summer show.
And it's the type of show where it could be a one-time thing or if ratings are good they could do a few them. There's a big pool of contestants to draw from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
Thanks for the vote info, guys. I'll watch Sam, Alex, and Majesty and pick from those.
I haven't won in years - and it would be kind of fun to take home the pot. If I pick one of those and win, I'll buy y'all a drink.
Sweet. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #133
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Howsabout all former contestants as judges? That could be fun. Maybe Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken and Kelly Pickler?
They have all been approached and none were interested in being judges on the real Idol, so why do we think they would be interested in a job on a spinoff?

The All Stars Idol idea gets floated around every year- maybe sooner or later it will become reality. It would be interesting to see who they could get to actually show up to compete. In a perfect world it would be fun to see but I feel most of them have moved on.
Competing again would almost be like taking a step backwards in their careers.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #134
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
I can see some problems with this.

First, what's the incentive for the singers? You can't offer anything really big as the winners who didn't "make it big" would complain.

Second, do you include semi-finalists? In most seasons, making it to the semi-finals removes your further eligibility as well. (In fact, there are three seasons where getting cut at the last step before the semi-finals - the Season 13 equivalent is "taking the elevator ride" - removed further eligibility as well.)

Third, there's a reason these singers didn't make it big; what makes anyone think that enough fans would be interested to make the show viable?

Fourth, there are already two summer viewer-vote competition series; a third one just makes things more crowded.

Then again, maybe it just needs some tweaking - for example, rather than have a "knockout" competition, have each week be a separate event with different singers; you can even have each week's winners come back for a final to determine an overall winner. With The X Factor not returning, there's room on Fox's fall schedule.

However, if it was up to me, I would go in a different direction - a second competition would be like the first one, but would be open only to singers 29 and older. This seems to me to be the kind of show that might appeal to older people who might still want to watch network TV on Friday and/or Saturday nights, rather than have them be the dumping grounds that they are now.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #135
tem

Has anyone else noticed how bad the sound mixing is ? I can barely hear the band most of the time and you can't hear Randy do his little talking head commentary AT ALL.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #136
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Has anyone else noticed how bad the sound mixing is ? I can barely hear the band most of the time and you can't hear Randy do his little talking head commentary AT ALL.
+1

When my wife comments on it, you *know* something is wrong. However, in our case we usually seem to hear nothing but certain instruments in the band and can' hear the singer. On the last show, it seemed to get somewhat better as the show went on but it still wasn't good. Notice that they were talking about the contestants not being able to hear correctly through their ear monitors as well. I think they must have a new sound guy/girl this year.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #137
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
They have all been approached and none were interested in being judges on the real Idol, so why do we think they would be interested in a job on a spinoff?
You may know than I do but that is hard to believe. I saw Kelly Clarkson as a judge on a 4th rate Idol knockoff that probably got canceled right away. Why would she do that and not Idol, if she had the chance to be a judge on Idol? There's big money and exposure in being an AI judge. If you're Beyonce and it's a drop in pay and exposure then you don't do it, but for the people we're talking about, seems like a good move. Kellie Pickler turned down a chance to be a judge on Idol??

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I can see some problems with this.

First, what's the incentive for the singers? You can't offer anything really big as the winners who didn't "make it big" would complain.

Second, do you include semi-finalists? In most seasons, making it to the semi-finals removes your further eligibility as well. (In fact, there are three seasons where getting cut at the last step before the semi-finals - the Season 13 equivalent is "taking the elevator ride" - removed further eligibility as well.)

Third, there's a reason these singers didn't make it big; what makes anyone think that enough fans would be interested to make the show viable?

Fourth, there are already two summer viewer-vote competition series; a third one just makes things more crowded.

Then again, maybe it just needs some tweaking - for example, rather than have a "knockout" competition, have each week be a separate event with different singers; you can even have each week's winners come back for a final to determine an overall winner. With The X Factor not returning, there's room on Fox's fall schedule.

However, if it was up to me, I would go in a different direction - a second competition would be like the first one, but would be open only to singers 29 and older. This seems to me to be the kind of show that might appeal to older people who might still want to watch network TV on Friday and/or Saturday nights, rather than have them be the dumping grounds that they are now.
In terms of the incentive, I don't think you have to offer much. A lot of these people are back to working regular jobs or doing off-off-off Broadway. You'd have former contestants lining up to do it for the exposure and simply for the chance to be on TV again.

I would include anyone who had been a finalist and who could no longer return as a contestant. I might also include some record sales threshold to prevent a Chris Daughtry from coming on and wiping the floor with everybody, but in reality Chris Daughtry isn't going to do it, anyway, so maybe just keep it simple and only exclude winners. (If I'm a producer I care less about making it "fair" and more about ratings, and if Daughtry, J-Hud, Bo Bice, Pickler, Lambert, etc want to be on the show I'm not turning them down.)

I also think there is a bond between AI fans and contestants that you don't see on other shows. So while a show like The Voice could never pull this off, AI could. As for the argument that if they were any good, wouldn't they have already made it, sure that's generally true. But that was true of all of them before they went on AI the first time, too. Maybe they just need another shot. Maybe they are much better now than they were back then.

I'd remove the age limit for All Stars, so someone who had been on in the first few seasons and was way past 29 could compete. Also, I'd consider opening it up so they can play original songs. Maybe if they're in a band, let them play with their bands instead of the house band.

I think it would work. Sure there are some details to work out, but I think a lot of AI fans would watch.

Idol has been losing viewers for a long time now and needs to do something and it seems to me that the "alumni" are one of it' most valuable assets and they are not tapping in to it. Also-rans from 10 years ago are still household names. If I'm in charge of Fox or any of the various legal entities, I'm finding ways to cash in on that.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #138
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
You may know than I do but that is hard to believe. I saw Kelly Clarkson as a judge on a 4th rate Idol knockoff that probably got canceled right away. Why would she do that and not Idol, if she had the chance to be a judge on Idol?
Because she is pregnant and in a different place in her life now than she was then.
As are most alumni.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #139
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Another mostly disappointing night, IMO.

There were a couple of reasonable performances, but for the most part, it was infinitely miss-able. The only standout (for me) was Caleb, and I'm waiting for the knockout rock ballad that I feel he has in him!

The biggest surprise was Malaya's hair!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #140
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Another mostly disappointing night, IMO.

There were a couple of reasonable performances, but for the most part, it was infinitely miss-able. The only standout (for me) was Caleb, and I'm waiting for the knockout rock ballad that I feel he has in him!

The biggest surprise was Malaya's hair!
Yeah, it is not everyday you hear somebody sing a Rush song on American Idol and especially an early one like Working Man.

I have to say that I am not that invested in the show this year. There is nobody I really am rooting against. I like Caleb but I really believe someone who sings that much Classic Rock will have an uphill battle to win it.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #141
brettatk
Thread Killer

Plus if Caleb does happen to win, do you think he's actually going to be able to sing the music he wants to sing? He'd be better off getting to the final 3 or 4 and not winning IMO.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #142
ADG
Allan

IMO Caleb is head and shoulders above the rest who, also in my opinion, are at best mediocre - and some are just awful.

Love the feedback from Harry Connick. It's intelligent, honest, "technical" without being difficult for average viewers to understand, and best of all - he truly seems to want to help the contestants improve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #143
tem

man, a *really* weak crop this year. The only people that don't totally suck are Caleb and Majesty and even she had issues last night.

And I agree w/ what they said about Caleb being one-note. He needs to mix it up a bit. I doubt they could get the rights but Nirvana's "All Apologies" could give him a showcase to sing where he doesn't have to scream. Or do what Candace did last year with "Love Song" by the Cure (tho that was originally an Adele arrangement).
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #144
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Caleb would be great for Classic Rock Karaoke night but I don't see him as a 2014 Pop Star.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #145
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Terrible show last night.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #146
stellie93

I don't remember names, but the girl who sang the really high notes (high F sharp, they said) I thought was terrible. I was cringing. I guess I have a bad ear cause the judges loved it.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #147
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Caleb would be great for Classic Rock Karaoke night but I don't see him as a 2014 Pop Star.
He seems to me to be a really good bar band singer. He's a better singer than some of the people who will outlast him, but he's definitely not a pop star. And like I mentioned before, I think, he looks like Jack Black. Which doesn't help him get votes from teeny-boppers.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #148
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
I don't remember names, but the girl who sang the really high notes (high F sharp, they said) I thought was terrible. I was cringing. I guess I have a bad ear cause the judges loved it.
I thought J-Lo was cringing too, but then she said she loved it.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #149
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Idol is running true to form. Hot chicks eliminated first.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #150
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
He seems to me to be a really good bar band singer. He's a better singer than some of the people who will outlast him, but he's definitely not a pop star. And like I mentioned before, I think, he looks like Jack Black. Which doesn't help him get votes from teeny-boppers.
I think he's better than a bar band singer. I can see him getting kind of the offers that Daughtry did to front a band and do well.