Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #61
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
The bus gimmick they did last night is the kind of thing they do on AI which just makes me appreciate The Voice even more.....
It was just awful television. They get off on showing the emotions of the participants. I get off on watching & hearing them perform.

And they wonder why their ratings keep going down. I thought the new show runner might get away from this crap - but apparently not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #62
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I hate the group drama. Some year I think they should just assign groups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #63
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I agree about the groups. It only serves to manufacture drama where there wouldn't normally be drama. Worst part of the show for me, each and every year.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #64
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

If you enjoy the show, TV Line does a web series called Reality Check that focuses on singing shows like The Voice and American Idol. (They used to do a show exclusively on Idol called Idology, but that got spun into the Reality Check show.) It features editor Michael Slezak and season 6 contestant Melinda Doolittle. It's quite entertaining and worth watching.

http://tvline.com/tag/Reality-Check/

If you want to watch only the ones that focus on this season's Idol, start with the January 20 episode.

Once it gets to that point, TV Line is also likely to do sit-down interviews with contestants from the show as they depart (or win the show).
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #65
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Did the son of 1st season 3rd place finisher make it to the top 200? Also did the son the Woman that toured with Keith Urban make it?
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #66
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Both were on the bus that went back to the airport.
David Platt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #67
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

The Hollywood group night I think actually serves a purpose on the show I believe as it really puches the contestants and allows them to see who can hopefully handle the pressure of the competition without cracking. Expecting these young kids to have a grasp of harmony and be able to choreograph for themselves seems like a stretch though.

Of course since they have the live show contestants do stupid group numbers every week maybe it is a way to screen for those who handle it best.

Last edited by Maui : 02-06-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #68
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Both were on the bus that went back to the airport.
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #69
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Agree-the bus trick was rude.

I do appreciate that they are being tougher this year. They aren't giving "second chances" in Hollywood week like they have in years past. They cut a LOT of people right away who they weren't altogether sure of in the audition rounds. If you aren't good, you don't get to stay. Period. At least we may see some real talent shine through...
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #70
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Pretty underwhelmed by the top 10 girls.
There are a few in there I like (Majesty, Jena) but they did nothing for me tonight.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #71
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

1st show of the season I watched. Is it trying to become American Voice? With the mentors and coaches? Some of them tonight were ok, I really liked the gal with the hat?? And Jena.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #72
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

It's Je(a)na!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #73
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
It's Je(a)na!
Girl needs to change either the spelling or the pronunciation of that name if mistakes annoy her so badly...
Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #74
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
It's Je(a)na!
I don't know if it was Ryan's voice doing the recap of the names at the end, but even there they said the (Gina) pronunciation of her name. That's going to start annoying ME if the people on the show still can't pronounce it right!

Not thrilled to see 'The Hills Have Eyes' back, but I guess his gig with The Tonight Show is over, so the man's got to eat.

I'm starting to hate the manufactured situations to try to get the audience involved - especially when they are totally meaningless! If we are to believe that Ben and Neeco were truly the last two guys in the running for the 15th and final spot to move on, and the judges copped out to make "America" decide, then don't open the next show saying that only 10 of those 15 will actually be performing, with the judges deciding who it is.

It's almost 'who cares' when the drama plays out at the end of the show over which of the two are part of the 15 because if they truly were competing for the last spot, neither of them should even be performing when the judges whittle it down to ten anyway.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #75
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Girl needs to change either the spelling or the pronunciation of that name if mistakes annoy her so badly...
This.

I was so underwhelmed with the women. Part of it was that I only knew 2 of the 10 songs they sang (I guess I am old), the other part is most really didn't bring it.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #76
brettatk
If I Only Knew

So how did last night work? Did all 15 girls sing for the judges off camera and then they decided on who would be the top 10? Or did the judges just decide from past performances? I must have missed something FF but didn't really want to go back and watch the first part again.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #77
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
So how did last night work? Did all 15 girls sing for the judges off camera and then they decided on who would be the top 10? Or did the judges just decide from past performances? I must have missed something FF but didn't really want to go back and watch the first part again.
They said the judges went back and reviewed past performances and decided which ten would be performing and the other five would go home.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #78
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
They said the judges went back and reviewed past performances and decided which ten would be performing and the other five would go home.
Thanks for the info. I could have sworn I hear Ryan say something about 13 chairs in the beginning so I guess I assumed that all would perform and 2 would be going home. That kind of sucks for the ones who didn't get called to sing. They could have just picked the Top 20 at the end of Hollywood week. I guess it was still a good experience for the ones who didn't make it. I really can't say I have any favorites so far, nobody has stood out to me.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #79
cherry ghost

The title of the episode was "15 girls perform"
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #80
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I believe they also said that they watched the current rehearsals too.

The performances were mostly decidedly underwhelming apart from the couple highlighted. I did like MK as well.

Hope the guys are better otherwise it's going to be a bumpy ride!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #81
Fahtrim

The girls were obviously nervous and not that well prepared, it showed.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #82
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

they made a comment about how they (girls) had a limited time to prepare, I wonder what was up with that?

maybe scheduling around Randy and his crew?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #83
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Wouldn't Randy waiting around for Idol to call? I doubt he's in a position to have Idol schedule around him.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #84
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Wouldn't Randy waiting around for Idol to call? I doubt he's in a position to have Idol schedule around him.
He's still got his hands in a lot of pots, plus I wouldn't be surprised if this mentoring gig was part of the deal that included his vacating his judge's seat.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #85
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Thanks for the info. I could have sworn I hear Ryan say something about 13 chairs in the beginning so I guess I assumed that all would perform and 2 would be going home.
I assume the 13 chairs refer to the 13 finalists - the top 5 women, the top 5 men, and each judge's wild card.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #86
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I was enjoying this season until Randy came back. I think this judging panel is great and I like the young talent. The only thing that could mess it up is too much Dawg and his words of wisdom.

I like it that AI has an age limit and that this season is skewing even younger than normal. I'm much more of an AI fan than a Voice fan because AI gets the young, raw talent that has the potential to be great (Kelly, Carrie, J-Hud, etc) while the Voice seems to get the older industry rejects who are more polished but got dropped by their labels for a reason.

I hated to see Keri Lynn Roche go home last week and I think she would have done well if she had a shot to go on. Her last performance was a little over the top, but she has a great voice and to me she just needed a little coaching on her performance. (Not from the Dawg, though.)
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #87
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I was enjoying this season until Randy came back. I think this judging panel is great and I like the young talent. The only thing that could mess it up is too much Dawg and his words of wisdom.
That's what the FFW button is for.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #88
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
That's what the FFW button is for.
Yeah, I did not watch a single mentoring section.

I really like Harry's honesty so far. I like that he keeps reminding them that he won't be impressed by big notes simply to get applause or vocals runs just for the sake of adding a vocal run. He has a great sense of humor but he is seripous about the music. This is exactly what I kind of expected after he butted heads with the judges last year while he was an mentor.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #89
SNJpage1

Harry had told one of the girls that she had picked the wrong song at one of the local auditions. So she goes and sings it again at the live performance last night. He called her on it again and he should have told her she isnt going anyplace if she can't follow good advice. When some one like Harry gives you advice you should follow it.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #90
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
This.

I was so underwhelmed with the women. Part of it was that I only knew 2 of the 10 songs they sang (I guess I am old), the other part is most really didn't bring it.
I had the same problem with the songs. I got the impression somewhere that the music would be more current this year--no more Beatles. I see why they want to do that, but it makes the show less enjoyable for me.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote