TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #31
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
JLO was a drama queen tho last time she was on the show.
That's only because Steven Tyler was asleep and Randy was oblivious- she was allowed to run rampant.

This year it looks to me like Harry shuts her down and gives Urban the balls to do the same.
So yay that.
__________________
Choose joy!
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #32
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
That's only because Steven Tyler was asleep and Randy was oblivious- she was allowed to run rampant.

This year it looks to me like Harry shuts her down and gives Urban the balls to do the same.
So yay that.
Compared to Nikki and Mariah (and even Randy sometimes) I am sure that to Keith J-Lo probably seems tame in comparisom..
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #33
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Compared to Nikki and Mariah (and even Randy sometimes) I am sure that to Keith J-Lo probably seems tame in comparisom..
I hope so.
I guess he does have experience dealing with high maintenance women.
__________________
Choose joy!
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #34
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,084
Here is Harry's audition

Harry Auditions

__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #35
sushikitten
Exhausted mama
 
sushikitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC-ish Suburbia
Posts: 25,784
Just stated watching the Detroit auditions. So so so much better already in the first 30 minutes.

I have t watched AI in a few years...I think I'm sucked back in.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #36
mostman
Registered User
 
mostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 506
It really is the lack of all the sucky people. I used to think that it was fun to see the sucky people, but this more serious Idol is better. The chemistry between these judges really comes out.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #37
JLucPicard
Registered User
 
JLucPicard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West St. Paul - Viking Country
Posts: 3,322
TC CLUB MEMBER
Was J-Lo wearing basically just a flannel shirt for a while there? NTTAWWT

I kept hoping one of the contestants would go in for one of those over the table hugs.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #38
Fahtrim
Registered User
 
Fahtrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 689
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I actually tuned in to AI last night and liked it. I didn't see any drama queen judges and I think that someone in charge decided to not focus on the oddball singers. I hope that trend continues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
JLO is still there.........but hopefully HC will be a positive influence to bring up the level of conversation, and less drama queen crap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
JLO wasn't there last season - it was Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj who were there, and who aren't back this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
JLO was a drama queen tho last time she was on the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
That's only because Steven Tyler was asleep and Randy was oblivious- she was allowed to run rampant.

This year it looks to me like Harry shuts her down and gives Urban the balls to do the same.
So yay that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I kind of felt that the last season she was there that Jlo had more sway with Randy and Steven. I don't think she'll be able to sway Keith or Harry as much, especially Harry who seems to be someone who will not be swayed from his opinions easily.

It's either going to be really fun to watch him show his disdain for excessive vocal runs or it will get old. I am hoping for the former.
So the story we all appear to agree on in different words is, previous years had huge drama queen issues, this year it is looking like and we are hoping that HC and KU will be able to make this a more pleasing adult type judging panel.


Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #39
jr461
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
So the story we all appear to agree on in different words is, previous years had huge drama queen issues, this year it is looking like and we are hoping that HC and KU will be able to make this a more pleasing adult type judging panel.

I agree. And last year with all the histrionics between the 2 divas,it seemed Keith was stifled but he actually provides what seems like honest certainly constructive feedback.

Very enjoyable panel. I liked Harry mocking JLo's lack of flying commercial airlines. He is very funny and knows his stuff musically.
__________________
--Jeff
jr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #40
rich
Final answer?
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 668
And oh yeah, there have been some good singers too.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #41
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
And oh yeah, there have been some good singers too.
Yeah, there have been some good ones but nobody has really jumped out as a favorite for me yet.
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #42
David Platt
Manually-adjusted
 
David Platt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,877
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
And oh yeah, there have been some good singers too.
Ha. I was just thinking how strange it was that there are almost two full pages of posts and no one has mentioned a single singer yet as a standout.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #43
cmgal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Ha. I was just thinking how strange it was that there are almost two full pages of posts and no one has mentioned a single singer yet as a standout.
I liked Majesty from the Atlanta auditions
__________________
**** CANCER!
cmgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #44
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgal View Post
I liked Majesty from the Atlanta auditions
Yeah, she was very good
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 AM   #45
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa
 
AJRitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 11,705
This is the first time in several years that I don't find myself just FFing through the majority of opening round auditions. HCJr. makes all the difference in the world. He really understands music theory and has an appreciation for music history, and he's not shy about calling out pretentious crap.

I don't really evaluate the singers until Hollywood, because I don't know that we can really get much from their auditions - it's one thing to have one song you can perform impressively. It's quite another to have the musical and vocal skill to pull of a range of songs and styles - what Harry Chapin called "the range of full color necessary to make it consistently interesting."
__________________
And I happen to think mine is the level head and yours is the one things would roll off of.
AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #46
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking
 
MauriAnne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,415
Tiquila? Who names their daughter Tiquila? (and why did they spell it that way??) And her occupation was listed as "funeral home singer". What kind of job is that?? So odd an so many levels for me.

I *am* enjoying this season.
__________________
This space for rent again.
MauriAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #47
JLucPicard
Registered User
 
JLucPicard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West St. Paul - Viking Country
Posts: 3,322
TC CLUB MEMBER
She mentioned that she sings in her church and works in a funeral home and sings at the services there. I got the impression he main job was working in a funeral home. AI just condensed it all to Funeral Home Singer for some reason. Was kind of odd.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #48
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up
 
Jstkiddn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Tiquila? Who names their daughter Tiquila? (and why did they spell it that way??) And her occupation was listed as "funeral home singer". What kind of job is that?? So odd an so many levels for me. I *am* enjoying this season.
There was a very young guy right out of high school that worked for my FIL. His even younger girlfriend got pregnant and dropped out of school to get married.

She wanted to name the baby Tequila. I'll never forget her telling me about it and I had to try so hard not to laugh. Thank goodness they changed their mind by the time the baby was born and they wound up naming her Barbra, although that was shortened to Barbie. Not a lot better....lol.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #49
SNJpage1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 3,157
One of the things that I have found strange is how of the singers bring a guitar in with them but then don't play it. The ones that do play it seems to sound better. I think the kid who's mother traveled with Keith shouldn't have been given a ticket. Same as the one who's father was a singer.
__________________
S2 and a Tivo HD
SNJpage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #50
Balzer
Registered User
 
Balzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 145
Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
One of the things that I have found strange is how of the singers bring a guitar in with them but then don't play it. The ones that do play it seems to sound better. I think the kid who's mother traveled with Keith shouldn't have been given a ticket. Same as the one who's father was a singer.
From something I read yesterday, most of the auditioners sing more than one song. They show that sometimes on the air, but we usually only see one of the songs. It's likely the song they sing with the guitar is not shown.
__________________
Jeff

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #51
Donbadabon
Geocacher
 
Donbadabon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,669
I really liked Jessica Bassett, but both Harry and Keith said no. I usually agree with Harry, but this time I think he got it wrong:

Jessica Bassett Auditions


On Ellen's friday show, she put out an open call for Jessica to contact her to be on The Ellen Show.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #52
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
From something I read yesterday, most of the auditioners sing more than one song. They show that sometimes on the air, but we usually only see one of the songs. It's likely the song they sing with the guitar is not shown.
AFAIK, everybody gets just one song in front of the judges. Keep in mind that everybody who gets as far as the judges has to go through two previous rounds of auditions first; the first round is the one in the large stadium (where they show the huge crowd waiting to get in), and the second round is usually two months later.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #53
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
AFAIK, everybody gets just one song in front of the judges. Keep in mind that everybody who gets as far as the judges has to go through two previous rounds of auditions first; the first round is the one in the large stadium (where they show the huge crowd waiting to get in), and the second round is usually two months later.
From what I understand, the stages:
1) "Cattle Call" at the stadium. Dozens of scouts for the program listen to people in small groups. Prospective contestants have a few seconds to impress the scouts and get an invitation to the producer audition.
2) Producer audition, weeks later. If the producers are impressed, they're given invitations to the judge auditions, several weeks later (again).
3) Judge auditions, much later and somewhere else.

And yes, the contestants are asked to prepare *2* songs. Whether they actually perform both is variable, however.

I also understand that both the Producer audition and Judge auditions are both taped, allowing them to edit them together as needed, use either for montage segments, or make it appear that a contestant is performing for the judges when they're really performing for the producers.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #54
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking
 
MauriAnne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
From what I understand, the stages:
1) "Cattle Call" at the stadium. Dozens of scouts for the program listen to people in small groups. Prospective contestants have a few seconds to impress the scouts and get an invitation to the producer audition.
2) Producer audition, weeks later. If the producers are impressed, they're given invitations to the judge auditions, several weeks later (again).
3) Judge auditions, much later and somewhere else.

And yes, the contestants are asked to prepare *2* songs. Whether they actually perform both is variable, however.

I also understand that both the Producer audition and Judge auditions are both taped, allowing them to edit them together as needed, use either for montage segments, or make it appear that a contestant is performing for the judges when they're really performing for the producers.
That helps me understand why some people quit their jobs to audition for Idol. I understand that some people drive long distances to get there, but it seemed a stretch that they'd have to quit. If they have to drive and then wait around, I get it.
__________________
This space for rent again.
MauriAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #55
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
From what I understand, the stages:
1) "Cattle Call" at the stadium. Dozens of scouts for the program listen to people in small groups. Prospective contestants have a few seconds to impress the scouts and get an invitation to the producer audition.
2) Producer audition, weeks later. If the producers are impressed, they're given invitations to the judge auditions, several weeks later (again).
3) Judge auditions, much later and somewhere else.

And yes, the contestants are asked to prepare *2* songs. Whether they actually perform both is variable, however.

I also understand that both the Producer audition and Judge auditions are both taped, allowing them to edit them together as needed, use either for montage segments, or make it appear that a contestant is performing for the judges when they're really performing for the producers.
That's pretty much correct (especially the bit about splicing songs from stage 2 in with judges' reactions from stage 3), except that I'm not sure that stages 2 and 3 are necessarily in different places, and I wouldn't say "much later" - I remember one city having them two weeks apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
That helps me understand why some people quit their jobs to audition for Idol. I understand that some people drive long distances to get there, but it seemed a stretch that they'd have to quit. If they have to drive and then wait around, I get it.
They don't stay in the audition city between one stage and the next, but it does mean three round trips, and at least three nights (one per round - more likely two for round 1, since registration and auditions are on different days) in a hotel.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #56
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood
 
Lee 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lazlo's Basement
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Who knew that Harry Connick Jr was so hilarious?


I've been watching him since at least 1990. He's got a Chris Isaak kind of thing going, lots of talent matched by lots of personality and a unique, quirky sense of humor. Also he's a pretty straight shooter. He's much beloved locally.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #57
Balzer
Registered User
 
Balzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
AFAIK, everybody gets just one song in front of the judges. Keep in mind that everybody who gets as far as the judges has to go through two previous rounds of auditions first; the first round is the one in the large stadium (where they show the huge crowd waiting to get in), and the second round is usually two months later.
Yea, I know there are a lot of auditions prior to the audition in front of the stars. But many of them do get to sing more than one song for the star judges.
__________________
Jeff

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #58
danielhart
Finnhater
 
danielhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,298
The bus gimmick they did last night is the kind of thing they do on AI which just makes me appreciate The Voice even more.....
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #59
That Don Guy
Now with more GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
The bus gimmick they did last night is the kind of thing they do on AI which just makes me appreciate The Voice even more.....
Also, they have been doing the "the first thing you do when you get to Pasadena Northridge "Hollywood" is to sing for the judges again, who will either put you through to the Group round or send you right home, for years.

The "bus thing" smacks too much of America's Got Talent.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #60
JFriday
"Just The Facts"
 
JFriday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
The bus gimmick they did last night is the kind of thing they do on AI which just makes me appreciate The Voice even more.....
Yes AI needs spinning chairs just like the Voice.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |