Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #31
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
JLO was a drama queen tho last time she was on the show.
That's only because Steven Tyler was asleep and Randy was oblivious- she was allowed to run rampant.

This year it looks to me like Harry shuts her down and gives Urban the balls to do the same.
So yay that.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #32
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
That's only because Steven Tyler was asleep and Randy was oblivious- she was allowed to run rampant.

This year it looks to me like Harry shuts her down and gives Urban the balls to do the same.
So yay that.
Compared to Nikki and Mariah (and even Randy sometimes) I am sure that to Keith J-Lo probably seems tame in comparisom..
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #33
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Compared to Nikki and Mariah (and even Randy sometimes) I am sure that to Keith J-Lo probably seems tame in comparisom..
I hope so.
I guess he does have experience dealing with high maintenance women.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #34
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Here is Harry's audition

Harry Auditions

Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #35
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Just stated watching the Detroit auditions. So so so much better already in the first 30 minutes.

I have t watched AI in a few years...I think I'm sucked back in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #36
mostman

It really is the lack of all the sucky people. I used to think that it was fun to see the sucky people, but this more serious Idol is better. The chemistry between these judges really comes out.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #37
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Was J-Lo wearing basically just a flannel shirt for a while there? NTTAWWT

I kept hoping one of the contestants would go in for one of those over the table hugs.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #38
Fahtrim

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I actually tuned in to AI last night and liked it. I didn't see any drama queen judges and I think that someone in charge decided to not focus on the oddball singers. I hope that trend continues.
Quote:
JLO is still there.........but hopefully HC will be a positive influence to bring up the level of conversation, and less drama queen crap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
JLO wasn't there last season - it was Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj who were there, and who aren't back this season.
Quote:
JLO was a drama queen tho last time she was on the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post

So yay that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I kind of felt that the last season she was there that Jlo had more sway with Randy and Steven. I don't think she'll be able to sway Keith or Harry as much, especially Harry who seems to be someone who will not be swayed from his opinions easily.

It's either going to be really fun to watch him show his disdain for excessive vocal runs or it will get old. I am hoping for the former.
So the story we all appear to agree on in different words is, previous years had huge drama queen issues, this year it is looking like and we are hoping that HC and KU will be able to make this a more pleasing adult type judging panel.

Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #39
jr461

Quote:
So the story we all appear to agree on in different words is, previous years had huge drama queen issues, this year it is looking like and we are hoping that HC and KU will be able to make this a more pleasing adult type judging panel.

I agree. And last year with all the histrionics between the 2 divas,it seemed Keith was stifled but he actually provides what seems like honest certainly constructive feedback.

Very enjoyable panel. I liked Harry mocking JLo's lack of flying commercial airlines. He is very funny and knows his stuff musically.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #40
rich
Final answer?

And oh yeah, there have been some good singers too.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #41
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Yeah, there have been some good ones but nobody has really jumped out as a favorite for me yet.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #42
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Ha. I was just thinking how strange it was that there are almost two full pages of posts and no one has mentioned a single singer yet as a standout.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #43
cmgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Ha. I was just thinking how strange it was that there are almost two full pages of posts and no one has mentioned a single singer yet as a standout.
I liked Majesty from the Atlanta auditions
Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #44
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgal View Post
I liked Majesty from the Atlanta auditions
Yeah, she was very good
Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 AM   #45
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

This is the first time in several years that I don't find myself just FFing through the majority of opening round auditions. HCJr. makes all the difference in the world. He really understands music theory and has an appreciation for music history, and he's not shy about calling out pretentious crap.

I don't really evaluate the singers until Hollywood, because I don't know that we can really get much from their auditions - it's one thing to have one song you can perform impressively. It's quite another to have the musical and vocal skill to pull of a range of songs and styles - what Harry Chapin called "the range of full color necessary to make it consistently interesting."
Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #46
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Tiquila? Who names their daughter Tiquila? (and why did they spell it that way??) And her occupation was listed as "funeral home singer". What kind of job is that?? So odd an so many levels for me.

I *am* enjoying this season.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #47
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
She mentioned that she sings in her church and works in a funeral home and sings at the services there. I got the impression he main job was working in a funeral home. AI just condensed it all to Funeral Home Singer for some reason. Was kind of odd.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #48
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Tiquila? Who names their daughter Tiquila? (and why did they spell it that way??) And her occupation was listed as "funeral home singer". What kind of job is that?? So odd an so many levels for me. I *am* enjoying this season.
There was a very young guy right out of high school that worked for my FIL. His even younger girlfriend got pregnant and dropped out of school to get married.

She wanted to name the baby Tequila. I'll never forget her telling me about it and I had to try so hard not to laugh. Thank goodness they changed their mind by the time the baby was born and they wound up naming her Barbra, although that was shortened to Barbie. Not a lot better....lol.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #49
SNJpage1

One of the things that I have found strange is how of the singers bring a guitar in with them but then don't play it. The ones that do play it seems to sound better. I think the kid who's mother traveled with Keith shouldn't have been given a ticket. Same as the one who's father was a singer.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #50
Balzer

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
One of the things that I have found strange is how of the singers bring a guitar in with them but then don't play it. The ones that do play it seems to sound better. I think the kid who's mother traveled with Keith shouldn't have been given a ticket. Same as the one who's father was a singer.
From something I read yesterday, most of the auditioners sing more than one song. They show that sometimes on the air, but we usually only see one of the songs. It's likely the song they sing with the guitar is not shown.

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #51
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I really liked Jessica Bassett, but both Harry and Keith said no. I usually agree with Harry, but this time I think he got it wrong:

Jessica Bassett Auditions

On Ellen's friday show, she put out an open call for Jessica to contact her to be on The Ellen Show.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #52
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
From something I read yesterday, most of the auditioners sing more than one song. They show that sometimes on the air, but we usually only see one of the songs. It's likely the song they sing with the guitar is not shown.
AFAIK, everybody gets just one song in front of the judges. Keep in mind that everybody who gets as far as the judges has to go through two previous rounds of auditions first; the first round is the one in the large stadium (where they show the huge crowd waiting to get in), and the second round is usually two months later.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #53
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
AFAIK, everybody gets just one song in front of the judges. Keep in mind that everybody who gets as far as the judges has to go through two previous rounds of auditions first; the first round is the one in the large stadium (where they show the huge crowd waiting to get in), and the second round is usually two months later.
From what I understand, the stages:
1) "Cattle Call" at the stadium. Dozens of scouts for the program listen to people in small groups. Prospective contestants have a few seconds to impress the scouts and get an invitation to the producer audition.
2) Producer audition, weeks later. If the producers are impressed, they're given invitations to the judge auditions, several weeks later (again).
3) Judge auditions, much later and somewhere else.

And yes, the contestants are asked to prepare *2* songs. Whether they actually perform both is variable, however.

I also understand that both the Producer audition and Judge auditions are both taped, allowing them to edit them together as needed, use either for montage segments, or make it appear that a contestant is performing for the judges when they're really performing for the producers.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #54
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
1) "Cattle Call" at the stadium. Dozens of scouts for the program listen to people in small groups. Prospective contestants have a few seconds to impress the scouts and get an invitation to the producer audition.
2) Producer audition, weeks later. If the producers are impressed, they're given invitations to the judge auditions, several weeks later (again).

And yes, the contestants are asked to prepare *2* songs. Whether they actually perform both is variable, however.

I also understand that both the Producer audition and Judge auditions are both taped, allowing them to edit them together as needed, use either for montage segments, or make it appear that a contestant is performing for the judges when they're really performing for the producers.
That helps me understand why some people quit their jobs to audition for Idol. I understand that some people drive long distances to get there, but it seemed a stretch that they'd have to quit. If they have to drive and then wait around, I get it.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #55
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

That's pretty much correct (especially the bit about splicing songs from stage 2 in with judges' reactions from stage 3), except that I'm not sure that stages 2 and 3 are necessarily in different places, and I wouldn't say "much later" - I remember one city having them two weeks apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
That helps me understand why some people quit their jobs to audition for Idol. I understand that some people drive long distances to get there, but it seemed a stretch that they'd have to quit. If they have to drive and then wait around, I get it.
They don't stay in the audition city between one stage and the next, but it does mean three round trips, and at least three nights (one per round - more likely two for round 1, since registration and auditions are on different days) in a hotel.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #56
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Who knew that Harry Connick Jr was so hilarious?

I've been watching him since at least 1990. He's got a Chris Isaak kind of thing going, lots of talent matched by lots of personality and a unique, quirky sense of humor. Also he's a pretty straight shooter. He's much beloved locally.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #57
Balzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Yea, I know there are a lot of auditions prior to the audition in front of the stars. But many of them do get to sing more than one song for the star judges.

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #58
danielhart
Finnhater

The bus gimmick they did last night is the kind of thing they do on AI which just makes me appreciate The Voice even more.....
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #59
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
The bus gimmick they did last night is the kind of thing they do on AI which just makes me appreciate The Voice even more.....
Also, they have been doing the "the first thing you do when you get to Pasadena Northridge "Hollywood" is to sing for the judges again, who will either put you through to the Group round or send you right home, for years.

The "bus thing" smacks too much of America's Got Talent.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #60
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
Yes AI needs spinning chairs just like the Voice.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote