TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
American Idol - Season 13

May be old news, but I just read this article today:
http://tv.msn.com/american-idol-seas...story/preview/

One thing I noticed that I am happy with is the results shows will be just a half-hour (not sure about the finale at this point, I suspect that will be more of an event) rather than bloated, filler-laden crap-fests.

I like all three judges, and am REALLY happy that Randy Jackson won't be on the panel again.

I was growing quite weary of this and didn't even watch several eps at the end of last season, but what I read gives me a little hope that I may actually enjoy this again. We'll see.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
BrettStah

Yep, we may actually watch it again.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Alfer
WOOSAH!

I haven't watched a full episode of this show in years.

I may actually try to sit down and watch this new group/format to see if it's an improvement over the crapfest previous seasons.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
May be old news, but I just read this article today:
http://tv.msn.com/american-idol-seas...story/preview/

One thing I noticed that I am happy with is the results shows will be just a half-hour (not sure about the finale at this point, I suspect that will be more of an event) rather than bloated, filler-laden crap-fests.
I'll believe this when I see it. They were going to do this three years ago, but when most of Fox's new comedies crashed and burned, Fox shuffled its schedule around and kept the results shows at an hour. (New show Surviving Jack is supposed to fill the hour, but if Enlisted does bad on Fridays, Fox may decide to move Jack to Fridays and keep the Idol results show on for an hour.)

Another thing you might notice this year; semi-finalists from last year (and only from last year) are allowed to come back.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I think that Harry Connick Jr will add some fun to the panel. I liked Keith last year and while I sometimes could not understand why J-Lo went ga ga over certain artists I never really disliked her.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Satchel

So how many shows before they get to the final 12 or whatever it is???
I can't stand all the audition shows where they pick the people with the worst voices to put on TV. That part seems too set up.

I'll pay attention when they get to the actual singers.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Cainebj

I'm actually thinking of not watching this season.

I have never been a fan of Harry Connick and having him front and center on the judging panel might just be the deciding factor to help get over my singing competition show fatigue.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

So far I am liking Harry.
Example- when he called them out for being overly impressed with runs, as I find melisma for the sake of melisma offensive and tedious. Wrong or right I like that he says what he thinks, and extra points for knowing music theory.

I reserve the right to change my opinion
Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #9
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
So far I am liking Harry.
Example- when he called them out for being overly impressed with runs, as I find melisma for the sake of melisma offensive and tedious. Wrong or right I like that he says what he thinks, and extra points for knowing music theory.

I reserve the right to change my opinion
I liked that point too. He is consistent because he also said he did not like it last season when he was a mentor. I loved that after he called out Jennifer and Keith for cooing about runs and told them to back up the tape that they did so and he was right.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #10
DLL66

I can say this panel of judges is a huge improvement from last year. I actually enjoyed watching this first episode. What a recovery!
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
BrettStah

This review gives me some hope the show will be improved this season:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...-less-terrible

Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I think HC will be a good addition. I usually watch all the early auditions but last night I just wasn't feeling it and deleted the show after about 40 minutes. I think I might just wait until the Hollywood auditions before I start watching again.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I liked that point too. He is consistent because he also said he did not like it last season when he was a mentor. I loved that after he called out Jennifer and Keith for cooing about runs and told them to back up the tape that they did so and he was right.
Forgot to mention- I also loved when he called out the girl for singing a song inappropriate for her age and said he was skeeved out by the lyrics.
How refreshing to see an adult man take a stand on that.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
TomK

I actually tuned in to AI last night and liked it. I didn't see any drama queen judges and I think that someone in charge decided to not focus on the oddball singers. I hope that trend continues.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Forgot to mention- I also loved when he called out the girl for singing a song inappropriate for her age and said he was skeeved out by the lyrics.
How refreshing to see an adult man take a stand on that.

Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I actually tuned in to AI last night and liked it. I didn't see any drama queen judges and I think that someone in charge decided to not focus on the oddball singers. I hope that trend continues.
JLO is still there.........but hopefully HC will be a positive influence to bring up the level of conversation, and less drama queen crap
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #17
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Huge improvement over the last few years. Didn't watch a full episode last year due to Nicki Minaj. This panel is not trying to upstage the contestants which I liked. And they are finally ditching the focus on the truly terrible auditions and showing more "normal" people. You could also tell the editing of the show is different, less manic.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
JLO is still there.........but hopefully HC will be a positive influence to bring up the level of conversation, and less drama queen crap
JLO wasn't there last season - it was Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj who were there, and who aren't back this season.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
JLO wasn't there last season - it was Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj who were there, and who aren't back this season.
I kind of felt that the last season she was there that Jlo had more sway with Randy and Steven. I don't think she'll be able to sway Keith or Harry as much, especially Harry who seems to be someone who will not be swayed from his opinions easily.

It's either going to be really fun to watch him show his disdain for excessive vocal runs or it will get old. I am hoping for the former.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
tem

My impressions from last night were that there were *way* more 15,16,17 year old kids than in years past. I know they are trying to stay/get hip with better song choices so I'm sure younger contestants will help.

And while I was initially skeptical of Harry Connick, who seemed to me to definitely *not* be in the kiddie demographic they want/need, he was affable and fun last night. Not sure if he will be the panacea they seek but who knows.

They really need to follow through on more contemporary songs/mentors and ditch the Motown, Burt Bachrach, Year You were Born, Beatles, Broadway and Judge's choices themes. No one wants to see a 16 year old sing showtunes. Nobody.

If they do that they have a chance. Otherwise, Idol will be yet another snoozefest and will die at the hands of The Voice.

edit: Idol opens to worst ratings ever. Doh !
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel View Post
So how many shows before they get to the final 12 or whatever it is???
My guess is, they announce the final 12 (The Futon Critic says 13 this year) on February 20. Fox has already announced a "special Tuesday episode" for 2/18, and usually Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday is the final semi-final rounds.

This also allows the show to wait until after the Olympics are over before starting the finalist rounds. (February 19 & 20 are when the ladies' figure skating takes place.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #22
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
It's either going to be really fun to watch him show his disdain for excessive vocal runs or it will get old. I am hoping for the former.
For me it will be the former because all those excessive runs get on my last nerve. That's why I usually cannot stand to listen to the likes of Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey. They are both EXTREMELY talented vocalists, but STOP with the vocal gymnastics already!

I hope he gives 'em hell for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
My impressions from last night were that there were *way* more 15,16,17 year old kids than in years past.
My daughter mentioned that this morning on the drive to school. I hadn't really thought about it until she mentioned it, but you are right.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #23
Balzer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I agree! In years past, the main focus of the auditions was on the crappy or joke "singers" who were just there to get their 2 minutes on TV, with just a few of the good singers featured. I hated that crap. I wanted to see more of the good ones that got through and even the mediocre auditions that didn't make it.

Last night was a good sign. I hope it continues.

And as others have said, so far I really like this year's panel of judges.

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
tem

going by ew.com's recap the ages of the contestants they showed were (I didn't check to see which ones advanced, I know at least 1 didn't)

average: 19.7
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #25
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just got done watching night 1...

I was wondering if they had increased their liability insurance that covers (a) injuries to Ryan Secrest and (b) injuries caused by Ryan Secrest. Oh, and less Ryan Secrest was definitely a PLUS in my book!

I know the show is edited, etc., but those three really seem to like each other and enjoy each other's company. What a huge improvement over last season!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #26
mostman

Big improvement.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #27
rich
Final answer?

Who knew that Harry Connick Jr was so hilarious? I was ROFL when he and Keith Urban were doing the "audition".
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #28
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Wow, I am amazed just how much more enjoyable it is with Harry Connick Jr on the panel. It seems like the coaches really get along and Harry usually keeps them cracking up but he is honest and direct in his critiques.

His fake audition for Keith last night when J-lo was out of the room was hilarious.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #29
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

LOVE the judges this year!!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #30
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
JLO was a drama queen tho last time she was on the show.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote