TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #31
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post

Put the TiVo on a UPS.
-- Doug
That'll help with power losses, but won't do anything about unexpected TiVo Roamio reboots, which do happen.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #32
flamtap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Maybe it also has something to do with the dreaded V53/58 error(s)?

Which number do you call for the automated line?

Saturday I was getting the V58 error on almost all channels. We had several quick brownouts on Thursday & Friday due to the snow & ice in the area, but I don't think the box reset. The cablecard still claimed to have 44 EMMs I think.

I rebooted the box to see if that would fix it and of course the EMMs went to zero.

I'm only just now getting used to looking at the EMM count before trying anything else, but I've seen the V58 problem several times, and not been sure whether the power went out or not when it started happening.

flamtap
flamtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #33
tatergator1

Go to: TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > DVR Diagnostics.

Scroll towards the bottom and find your CableCard firmware version and let us know. V53/V58 might be attributed to older firmware.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #34
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamtap View Post

Which number do you call for the automated line?

Saturday I was getting the V58 error on almost all channels. We had several quick brownouts on Thursday & Friday due to the snow & ice in the area, but I don't think the box reset. The cablecard still claimed to have 44 EMMs I think.

I rebooted the box to see if that would fix it and of course the EMMs went to zero.

I'm only just now getting used to looking at the EMM count before trying anything else, but I've seen the V58 problem several times, and not been sure whether the power went out or not when it started happening.

flamtap
I just call my local number and I then get an automated system with various prompts, one of them asking if I'm having trouble with my cable signals. I choose that one, then they ask me to describe the issue and I say "missing channels".
Old 02-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #35
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Go to: TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > DVR Diagnostics.

Scroll towards the bottom and find your CableCard firmware version and let us know. V53/V58 might be attributed to older firmware.
And the older FW may be what's causing the EMMs to go to zero with power loss.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #36
flamtap

I will check the version this evening and report back. How can I determine if it's old firmware or not?

Thanks,

flamtap
Old 02-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #37
HarperVision

Quote:
I will check the version this evening and report back. How can I determine if it's old firmware or not?

Thanks,

flamtap
If its not V 153_1101 it's old. I have 153_0601 which "mostly" works, especially after TiVo had a software update not so long ago.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #38
tatergator1

That depends on whether you're using Motorola or Scientific Atlanta/Cisco products.

Generally, TWC uses Cisco and the most recent firmware is: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101

Versions with 1.5.2.xxx are troublesome for 6 tuners.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #39
LoPan12

Huh...I've actually not had that much problem with TWC...I got a bad cable card from the Cary store (she told me when I got it, it was the last, so atleast I didn't have to go back and get told they were out), so had to go to the Raleigh branch on Atlantic Ave and wait 30 min. I was a little annoyed I got a bad card the first time, but hey, it happens. And they had 4 reps working fast at the raleigh store...I had 30 people in front of me. Is that TWC's fault? Maybe, maybe not...but I had candy crush, and they had chairs, so meh.
I usually get CSRs that know what they're doing, know where to send you, or are nice and help me get my random problems resolved. Maybe I'm just lucky. Last time they sent a truck for a weak signal problem on my new (owned by me) modem, I didn't get charged.
TWC's environment might be hellacious, but there are lots of CS Reps who can be nice and help you fight your way through it, you just gotta be nice to them. I even got my monthly bill lowered while I was ordering my cablecard and TA...
As to the power loss, I also lost power briefly during the storm, but didn't see any issues with not getting any channels...didn't check my EMMs since i had no issue, so I don't know what they said, but yeah...

While I was on the phone with the cablecard guy, I chatted with him a bit while waiting for the card to get authorized. They're apparently all based in Buffalo, NY...and when I asked, he'd said that just within the past year or two, and especially with the release of the Roamio, they've noticed a definite increase in cablecard activations.
But yeah, your own DVR is the way to go. Did you know that they charge a $0.36 eq rental fee for the remote control for they're set-top box...
LoPan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #40
tafmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
From what I've read (see the reviews on Amazon), the white model is the retail model and the black model is the wholesale model sold only to the cable companies. If you'll notice, Amazon sells the white model directly, but does not sell the black model directly. You can only buy it on Amazon through third-party sellers.

Since Motorola will only sell the black model directly to cable companies, the ones you can buy online are either stolen or possibly were surplus units that have been sitting in some cable company's warehouse collecting dust that they decided to sell off. If you buy a black model, it's highly likely to be used (even if advertised as "new") and possibly stolen, which could make it impossible to activate and use on your internet account.

Another problem is that TWC refuses to push firmware updates to user-owned modems. And since end-users can't update the firmware on a cable modem themselves (only the cable company can do it) you definitely want to buy a new modem manufactured recently so that it will have the newest firmware already installed.
Interesting, because I bought the motorola sb6141 in black, in Jan 2013 from Best Buy, and it was retail. I bought it in person at a store, it came in a box, with the picture on the box was of the black modem. They had many of them on hand. Pretty sure they weren't stolen.
tafmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #41
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafmot View Post
Interesting, because I bought the motorola sb6141 in black, in Jan 2013 from Best Buy, and it was retail. I bought it in person at a store, it came in a box, with the picture on the box was of the black modem. They had many of them on hand. Pretty sure they weren't stolen.
Hmm, that is interesting. There are multiple reviews on Amazon that claim only the white version was sold at retail. Are you absolutely sure that it was the sb6141 and not the sb6121 that you bought? They look identical and the sb6121 is available in a black retail version.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-19-2014 at 01:02 AM.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #42
flamtap

My os version is PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101.

I just checked while I was in the menu and it shows 0 EMMs processed again, though all my channels seem to be working at the moment.

Is there a resource that explains what all these settings mean so that I can tell what is ok and what seems to be not working?

flamtap
Old 02-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #43
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:

I just checked while I was in the menu and it shows 0 EMMs processed again, though all my channels seem to be working at the moment.

Is there a resource that explains what all these settings mean so that I can tell what is ok and what seems to be not working?

flamtap
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2571 gives some details. Page is titled "Cisco/Scientific Atlanta CableCARD Troubleshooting: Roamio Series and Premiere Series DVRs"
Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 AM   #44
HarperVision

Quote:

flamtap
Quoted from jackblack99 on TiVo forums:

"EMM is the Entitlement Management Message, which basically contains keys that show you are authorized to view whatever content you have your in package."

I was told by the TWC cablecard hotline that you should see a minimum of 39 EMMs at all times.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #45
ncted
A leaf on the wind

I sincerely hope this is working out well for you. I tried and failed on 3 separate occasions to get TWC/Cablecard/TA/Tivo working reliably. I think it would be pretty good if not for the TA. I couldn't go a week without one or more missed recordings due to TA resets. The cablecard hotline folks are actually pretty good, which is unusual for TWC, but the lack of reliability was off-putting. It really doesn't matter how good Tivo is, if it constantly misses recordings due to TA issues. I am on Dish now, and may switch to OTA/Tivo some time in the future.

As for broadband, I have the SB6121, and I am able to update the firmware myself, not that there are many. It was a self install, as were the previous 2 cablecard/TA installs with Tivo. I recently tried Frontier's channel-bonded VDSL, but found it to be unreliable: fast when it worked, but too frequently off-line. I wouldn't recommend it.

Best of luck,
Ted
Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #46
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
I sincerely hope this is working out well for you. I tried and failed on 3 separate occasions to get TWC/Cablecard/TA/Tivo working reliably. I think it would be pretty good if not for the TA. I couldn't go a week without one or more missed recordings due to TA resets. The cablecard hotline folks are actually pretty good, which is unusual for TWC, but the lack of reliability was off-putting. It really doesn't matter how good Tivo is, if it constantly misses recordings due to TA issues.
Like you, I have experienced the occasional tuning failure from the TWC tuning adapter, but a firmware update came through last week on my TWC tuning adapter and I have not experienced a tuning failure since. *fingers crossed*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
As for broadband, I have the SB6121, and I am able to update the firmware myself
Ummm, how? Cable modems, even user-owned retail models, are designed to only receive firmware updates from the cable companies. Did you actually perform open-case surgery on the modem with a soldering iron to get the new firmware in? Where did you even get a copy of the firmware to intall?
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote