TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #31
mrmike
Custom User Title

So far we have Graviton and Blizzard headed to the sandbox. Anyone think the season cliffhanger or mid-season Big Bad reveal is going to be a team up and a break-out?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #32
dtle

So Marvel comics have both Blizzard and Iceman?
dtle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #33
Loach

Maybe a little off topic, but I'm trying to figure out why this show looks so bad on my TV. In dark scenes (lots of those in this show - especially on the "bus"), I get lots of red and green halo effects around faces and certain background objects. Also some splotchy gray mixed in with deep blacks. I don't see near this effect in dark scenes in other shows and especially not with Blu-rays or DVDs.

I'm using a 61" Samsung DLP TV circa 2005, so obviously not the latest and greatest tech, but it has a good picture for most viewing. I've messed with the color settings but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I'm on Cox in Omaha. Is this just a garbage ABC feed from them? Any ideas for troubleshooting?
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #34
Ereth

That sounds like compression artifacts to me. Your local cableco may be over compressing the signal.

Can you get it OTA to compare?

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #35
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I'm using a 61" Samsung DLP TV circa 2005, so obviously not the latest and greatest tech, but it has a good picture for most viewing. I've messed with the color settings but it doesn't seem to make much difference.
I have this set (the LED version) and have not noticed any strangeness (DIRECTV).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #36
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
That sounds like compression artifacts to me. Your local cableco may be over compressing the signal.

Can you get it OTA to compare?
I don't have an OTA antenna at my place. I think I will, however, re-watch the episode on my 40" Sony LCD for comparison. Probably not a completely fair comparison given the different screen sizes but if it is compression artifacts I would think I'd at least see some of it on the smaller Sony as well.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #37
NJChris
Moogs!

Quote:
I don't have an OTA antenna at my place. I think I will, however, re-watch the episode on my 40" Sony LCD for comparison. Probably not a completely fair comparison given the different screen sizes but if it is compression artifacts I would think I'd at least see some of it on the smaller Sony as well.
Could it be some rainbow effect from the DLP?
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #38
AJRitz
Princess Anti-Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Obviously not exclusively, in the same way Quicksilver & the Scarlet Witch were part of the X-Men contract but can also be used in the Avengers movies. I wonder if either Fox or Marvel could make a Silver Surfer movie, since both companies probably have a claim to the character...unless exclusivity is spelled out in the contract.

Contracts are weird. Especially contracts written by a company in bankruptcy and desperate for money at a time when superhero movies are anathema. Obviously, Marvel wishes they could turn back time on the X-Men, FF, and Spidey contracts. Or at least shoot the grandfathers of the long-gone executives who signed them, cashed their severance checks, and moved on to bigger things.
Pre-Disney purchase, Marvel signed a flurry of seriously dubious long-term contracts, just trying to keep themselves afloat. They made a real mess of a fairly-recently cleaned up IP situation very quickly. They basically signed deals with anyone who came knocking (FOX, Paramount, Sony, Universal), because they needed the cash flow. And they included automatic re-up clauses that I guarantee they HATE now. (The most egregious example is the contract with Universal Parks & Resorts for Islands of Adventure, in which they signed away Eastern U.S. theme park rights to characters that aren't even being used by Universal, as long as they're part of the same "family" of characters. The deal doesn't define family clearly, which means it gets an expansive reading. And the deal renews perpetually as long as the previously agreed-upon fees get paid).
Old 01-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

That wasn't just pre-Disney, that was back in the 90s when they were bankrupt or trying to recover. Pre-Disney is what gave us the Marvel Studios age, with Iron Man, Thor, The Avengers, etc. So they very much got their act together long before the sale (which may have made the sale possible), but they still had to live with the consequences of what the Ancien Régime did to generate quick cash in the 90s (when, admittedly, it didn't look like comic book movies were ever going to be a big thing again).

Marvel was doing fine when Disney bought them.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #40
Loach

Quote:
Maybe a little off topic, but I'm trying to figure out why this show looks so bad on my TV. In dark scenes (lots of those in this show - especially on the "bus"), I get lots of red and green halo effects around faces and certain background objects. Also some splotchy gray mixed in with deep blacks. I don't see near this effect in dark scenes in other shows and especially not with Blu-rays or DVDs.

I'm on Cox in Omaha. Is this just a garbage ABC feed from them? Any ideas for troubleshooting?
Just to close the loop on this, the problem was actually a calibration issue. I had recently replaced the light tunnel in this TV and afterward a setting called the "index delay" was way off. Problem solved after adjusting. Thank goodness for Google and YouTube where I found a video about this adjustment.