TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #211
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
How much can you change a show and still have it be considered season 2?
If the story still fits the title "True Detective", then I suppose that is your answer.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #212
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:

"Okay, next season will have new cast and crew, a new director, the story won't be a continuation of what came before but will be a new plot with new characters in a different setting. But the writer will be the same. It's season 2!"
Yeah, it's a bit different. One of the articles I read about it called it 'a movie on steroids'... seems apt to me.

Personally, I like it. I don't want every show to follow this format, but I think it will work for some, especially if the writing is good and they have a good story to tell.

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #213
BrettStah

Quote:

"Okay, next season will have new cast and crew, a new director, the story won't be a continuation of what came before but will be a new plot with new characters in a different setting. But the writer will be the same. It's season 2!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Horror_Story

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #214
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
I know, and it works very well for AHS (and I'm looking forward to the same being true for True Detective). But AHS uses many of the same players, season to season, so it's not quite as extreme as the concept here.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #215
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

What Marty Hart saw on True Detective
HORRIFYING

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 AM   #216
MacThor
Not Pictured

I know it would seem too much of a cop-out (and I don't think this is the reveal), but it's still possible that Rust is the big bad, right? I mean, just because he told Marty he stole the pictures and VHS from Tuttle's doesn't make it so -- like almost all of the other evidence in the mystery so far.

We've not seen anything that definitively proves it's NOT Rust, or am I forgetting something?
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #217
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthology_series
Jeeters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #218
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Is the yellow king the same person as the killer?
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #219
pmyers

wow...torturing the sheriff is a big leap. How do you recover from that?
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #220
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
wow...torturing the sheriff is a big leap. How do you recover from that?
Not sure there's going to be any recovering.
| Twitter:
Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #221
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThor View Post

We've not seen anything that definitively proves it's NOT Rust, or am I forgetting something?
No, nor have we seen anything that excludes Marty (WH) from consideration, at least as a co-conspirator. He seemed eager, but did not want to appear overly eager, to have the case turned over to the task force, where it might have been quashed (assuming the cult has as far-reaching tentacles as we are led to believe) and taken away from Cohle's control.

I think Marty's daughters are damaged, either by abuse or by some knowledge of it. Maybe they're not his and Maggie's daughters at all. That scene where he calls them to dinner and they have a bunch of male dolls posed standing over a naked female doll, plus his older daughter having gotten in trouble for drawing explicit pictures in school, seems meant to steer us to the conclusion that they have lost their innocence somehow.

If you turn up the volume on the scene where Marty walks to his daughters' room, the girls are saying something like "They (we?)don't have any parents anymore. They died in a car crash." In this mostly red-herring free show, with carefully crafted dialogue, that has to mean something.

Plus, Marty executed Reggie Ledoux while he was handcuffed and caught. Could that have been to silence him and not the result of his rage, as we are meant to assume?
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #222
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Why can't they just find a ring of serial pedophiles and killers and bust them?

why does it have to be more complicated than that? Maybe Rust is killed while arresting them or something. But I don't see any reason for anything more.

I would hate to have an Agatha Christie ending where info that were never given or shown pops up at the last minute. I don't see any need for a twist coming out of left field.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #223
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
No, nor have we seen anything that excludes Marty (WH) from consideration, at least as a co-conspirator. He seemed eager, but did not want to appear overly eager, to have the case turned over to the task force, where it might have been quashed (assuming the cult has as far-reaching tentacles as we are led to believe) and taken away from Cohle's control.

I think Marty's daughters are damaged, either by abuse or by some knowledge of it. Maybe they're not his and Maggie's daughters at all. That scene where he calls them to dinner and they have a bunch of male dolls posed standing over a naked female doll, plus his older daughter having gotten in trouble for drawing explicit pictures in school, seems meant to steer us to the conclusion that they have lost their innocence somehow.

If you turn up the volume on the scene where Marty walks to his daughters' room, the girls are saying something like "They (we?)don't have any parents anymore. They died in a car crash." In this mostly red-herring free show, with carefully crafted dialogue, that has to mean something.

Plus, Marty executed Reggie Ledoux while he was handcuffed and caught. Could that have been to silence him and not the result of his rage, as we are meant to assume?
Yes, there are lots of clues pointing to Marty. I think it's him.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #224
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Yes, there are lots of clues pointing to Marty. I think it's him.
Let me put it this way: if it's Marty, I will eat my shorts and post it on youtube.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #225
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Does anybody know if the final is longer than the usual hour? I sure hope so.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #226
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Why can't they just find a ring of serial pedophiles and killers and bust them?
They have those kind of shows, the Law and Order, CSI type stuff. I don't think you get an 8-episode, HBO original series greenlit with just a plain 'ol detective story, but I'd be happily proven wrong, and will have enjoyed the ride either way.

Whereas "The Killing" employed every lazy red-herring, cheap trick, and misdirection technique known to Hollywood, "True Detective" may very well have been laying very subtle clues in front of us the whole time. I think that would be quite a feat, as long as it's not a total out-of-left-field, mindfreak magic trick like, say, making Maggie the killer.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #227
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Let me put it this way: if it's Marty, I will eat my shorts and post it on youtube.
I hope for your sake that this goes better than Werner Herzog's similar bet.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #228
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

I really hope it's not Marty or Rust. That would seem like such a cheap shot imo.

Honestly, I don't think it's either of them. Time will tell though.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #229
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

I'm totally sure neither Rust or Marty are the Antler Killer. But I think Marty is either a participant in the satanic cult or complicit in the ongoing cover-up of their crimes, either willingly or through coercion.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #230
john4200

Quote:
I'm totally sure neither Rust or Marty are the Antler Killer. But I think Marty is either a participant in the satanic cult or complicit in the ongoing cover-up of their crimes, either willingly or through coercion.
I do not see how Marty could actually be involved in the killings of the girls -- it just does not fit with what we have seen of his reactions to people who have harmed children (his reaction to the video, his reaction to seeing the children Ledoux had taken). Also, the way he behaved with the Sheriff in the last episode makes it seem like Marty is not involved (unless the Sheriff is also not involved).

But Marty seems to have some dirty secret that we do not yet know. That scene that his girls reenacted with dolls did not seem imaginary. What did the girls see, and where was Marty when they saw it? I suppose the girls could have somehow witnessed the killers doing their ritual and Marty did not see himself. But Marty saw the weird doll scene his girls made when he called them to dinner, and he did not ask them about it. His reaction to that was odd.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #231
dslunceford

Quote:

That's my wife's theory as well. Other than a red herring, I don't know why they would have introduced the plot points of the daughter's drawings, etc. they could have illustrated the detached father angle certainly without using that device

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #232
danterner
Not it!

No spoilers, just funny:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...v=cHWLpJRlBYA#
| Twitter:
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #233
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
I understood MORE in that clip than the real show! Too funny!
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #234
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

LOL!

It's crystal clear to me now.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #235
sharkster

LMAO (video)

This is one of my shows that I have to watch using my wireless headphones or I don't hear/comprehend half of what is being said.

I still feel mildly confused but I made a point of watching E07 early in the evening last night so I wasn't falling asleep. I don't really have a strong theory but I almost feel like they want us to think it's Rust, but Marty is the one with some kind of involvement. I didn't even catch the thing with the girls playing with the dolls. d'oh! I think I need to go back and watch E01 through E06 again.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #236
billypritchard
Embiggener

I will appreciate it if neither lead is involved. Why should every show feel the need for some kind of stupid twist like that?

And I think overall the show is just as much about Marty and Rust and who they are, and how the case has affected their lives and how they see themselves. We don't need an awesome end to the case to have an awesome show.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #237
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
I will appreciate it if neither lead is involved. Why should every show feel the need for some kind of stupid twist like that? And I think overall the show is just as much about Marty and Rust and who they are, and how the case has affected their lives and how they see themselves. We don't need an awesome end to the case to have an awesome show.
I agree, and I'll add: To have an awesome end to the show there cannot be an awesome end to the case. The show has been pushing that time is a flat circle and so, to be true to itself, the show must avoid closure in favor of looping back in some way. I'll be disappointed if things wrap up.
| Twitter:
Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #238
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
I agree, and I'll add: To have an awesome end to the show there cannot be an awesome end to the case. The show has been pushing that time is a flat circle and so, to be true to itself, the show must avoid closure in favor of looping back in some way. I'll be disappointed if things wrap up.
It's possible they solve the Dora Lange murder, but with the understanding that things just aren't going to change there. Women/kids will still disappear, even if they find the Yellow King. There would just be a new king.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #239
john4200

Quote:
The show has been pushing that time is a flat circle and so, to be true to itself, the show must avoid closure in favor of looping back in some way. I'll be disappointed if things wrap up.
"The show" has been doing that? I must have missed it. Rust babbles on with his weird philosophies, but that certainly does not imply that the "world" of the show has to follow Rust's philosophy.

I expect the show to provide a satisfactory wrap-up of the case.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #240
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

after the methodical 7 episode journey, following the characters accross 17 years to get to the finale, i'd be surprised if they didn't wrap up a good many loose ends...we'll know soon.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote