TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #181
astrohip
Stuart F

Interesting night tonight. At about the same time that MM is winning an Oscar on ABC, we can watch True Detective on HBO.

I know where my eyeballs will be...
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #182
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Here's more interesting things... Pizzolato (huh, I typed that from memory, checked, and it was surprisingly right) tweeted, then deleted it quickly.

Someone tweeted:

And he responded:
Quote:
@friggenawesome One of the detriments of only having two POV characters, both men (a structural necessity). Next season…
http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/02/nic...rue-detective/

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #183
Squeak
An Inert Gas

We haven't watched tonights episode yet, but what my wife and I find interesting is that the only scene we can think of that did not come for either WH or MM's point of view is when the two detectives interviewed WH's wife.

Ironic, given what Greg just posted.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #184
Sparty99

I know a lot of sites do recaps of the shows, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the best? I've just binge watched to catch up but my attention span is limited and I'd like to see what I've missed.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #185
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
I know a lot of sites do recaps of the shows, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the best? I've just binge watched to catch up but my attention span is limited and I'd like to see what I've missed.
Did you try darknessbecomesyou.com?

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #186
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

I've been meaning to mention this for a few weeks now but keep forgetting. I think the title music is perfect for this show. A slow, wistful and melancholy bit of music.

MM's storage unit was exactly what I pictured it would be. He better hope those two cops don't ever get a warrant or he's going to fry.

I absolutely loved the ending of this episode.... the second appearance of lawnmower man.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #187
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
I hadn't, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in the recaps from Slate/Rolling Stone/Grantland, and if anyone's got a suggestion for the best of them.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #188
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I absolutely loved the ending of this episode.... the second appearance of lawnmower man.
I think it was the third time we've seen him, although people with a better memory than me will be able to tell us which eps, and at what time marker.

And should we now call him scar-man, or the monster man, or ScarFace?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #189
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Mowing Spaghetti Monster.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #190
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
I've been meaning to mention this for a few weeks now but keep forgetting. I think the title music is perfect for this show. A slow, wistful and melancholy bit of music. MM's storage unit was exactly what I pictured it would be. He better hope those two cops don't ever get a warrant or he's going to fry. I absolutely loved the ending of this episode.... the second appearance of lawnmower man.
It took me a few episodes before I spotted in opening credits that it is T-Bone Burnett. I love much of his stuff. "Slow, wistful, melancholy" is a good description for it. One of my favorite songs is his "When the Night Falls."
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #191
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I think it was the third time we've seen him, although people with a better memory than me will be able to tell us which eps, and at what time marker.

I must be missing something here. I know for a fact that in one of his previous appearances MM talked to him face to face. I don't recall seeing any scars on him then or in the closing scene from this ep. And there's no way that MM wouldn't have remembered him now that they know they're looking for a man with scars.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #192
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
It took me a few episodes before I spotted in opening credits that it is T-Bone Burnett. I love much of his stuff. "Slow, wistful, melancholy" is a good description for it. One of my favorite songs is his "When the Night Falls."
Yeah, I'm going to check out his work as well.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #193
duroyprofundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
I hadn't, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in the recaps from Slate/Rolling Stone/Grantland, and if anyone's got a suggestion for the best of them.
It's not on your list but the best TV recaps, in my opinion, are by Alan Sepinwall. You can read all his recaps (including True Detective) on Hitfix.com.
duroyprofundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #194
john4200

Quote:
I must be missing something here. I know for a fact that in one of his previous appearances MM talked to him face to face. I don't recall seeing any scars on him then or in the closing scene from this ep. And there's no way that MM wouldn't have remembered him now that they know they're looking for a man with scars.
With his beard, the scars seem to be highly visible only on his right profile. In episode 3, we only really saw his left profile. But we did get a fraction of a second view of his right cheek in episode 3 when he turned his head as Marty honked at Rust:

Last edited by john4200 : 03-03-2014 at 02:34 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #195
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I know this is a small detail, but it didn't make sense why Marty was estranged from his 2 girls. He may have been a cheater, but he wasn't the kind of dad grown children would stay away from.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #196
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by duroyprofundo View Post
It's not on your list but the best TV recaps, in my opinion, are by Alan Sepinwall. You can read all his recaps (including True Detective) on Hitfix.com.
Thank you, Sepinwall's perfect. I just read his book and don't know why I didn't think of him.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #197
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I know this is a small detail, but it didn't make sense why Marty was estranged from his 2 girls. He may have been a cheater, but he wasn't the kind of dad grown children would stay away from.
I don't know if this would apply here, but I've known women who were absolutely amazing at alienating their children from their ex-husbands. And being a violent drunken cheater, I can see where he would supply ample ammunition for such a woman.

I suspect we'll never know, though...it looks like they've told us all they're going to tell us about those relationships.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #198
ewolfr

Spoilered because it talks about casting for season 2, if HBO ever decides to get around to announcing that they are going to make more episodes.

Spoiler:
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/matt...-2-1201124448/

Quote:
Oscar winner Matthew McConaughey has made it official – he will not be returning to ‘True Detective” for a second season.

When asked about his potential season two return to the hit HBO show at a backstage Academy Awards interview session, McConaughey announced, “No, I won’t be back for season two. Season one was finite.”

ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #199
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Finally catching up with the thread after falling behind during the Olympics. Absolutely an amazing series, and I was on the fence after 3 episodes, but now I can't get enough. Comments:

I mentioned early on I thought MM and WH's wife would sleep together (or whatever it was they did). I think I thought so when MM first came to dinner at WH's house.

My theory based on some clues (and discussed in the link earlier) is that it's Marty who's our ultimate baddie. Things like him trying to butcher MM's undercover operation with the drug guys, his treatment of women, his reaction to the pictures in this last episode. His name has been mentioned too. And his curiosity of what was in MM's storage locker.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #200
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
My theory based on some clues (and discussed in the link earlier) is that it's Marty who's our ultimate baddie. Things like him trying to butcher MM's undercover operation with the drug guys, his treatment of women, his reaction to the pictures in this last episode. His name has been mentioned too. And his curiosity of what was in MM's storage locker.
I'd be stunned if that turns out to be the case. I hope they don't go down that road. I see Marty as a man with flaws, but not a pedophile.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #201
VegasVic
Craps Player

It's confusing much of the time (for me anyway) but I still dig it, anxious to see how it turns out.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #202
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
Spoilered because it talks about casting for season 2, if HBO ever decides to get around to announcing that they are going to make more episodes.

I think it's fairly definite that it's coming back, but HBO is waiting to cast the next 2 leads before they announce.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #203
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

So if it comes back, it will have the same writer and director? I thought they were going to change everything each season.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #204
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

That's my understanding, everything changes with season two.... cast and crew.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #205
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
That's my understanding, everything changes with season two.... cast and crew.
No, just new stories and characters. Same writer and director.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #206
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
No, just new stories and characters. Same writer and director.
No, that's not the case.

Cary Fukunaga Will Not Be Back to Direct True Detective Season 2

I'm sure I read that both writer and director will change with each season but so far can only find a reference to the director.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #207
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
No, that's not the case.

Cary Fukunaga Will Not Be Back to Direct True Detective Season 2

I'm sure I read that both writer and director will change with each season but so far can only find a reference to the director.
Guess I was wrong about Fukunaga (he said last summer that running a show was too much work and he wouldn't be back as director for the second series). But I've never seen a hint that Pizzolatto wouldn't be back, and everything they're saying now is that the delays in picking it up formally are down to him not having the story ready yet.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #208
MacThor
Not Pictured

MM's acceptance speech was kind of jarring considering his character's "pessimist" views. I know, I know, it's called "acting" but I noticed the irony, especially since his speech was so far to the other end of the spectrum.
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #209
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Guess I was wrong about Fukunaga (he said last summer that running a show was too much work and he wouldn't be back as director for the second series). But I've never seen a hint that Pizzolatto wouldn't be back, and everything they're saying now is that the delays in picking it up formally are down to him not having the story ready yet.
According to Wikipedia at least, this is Pizzolatto's baby (he's signed for two years), but the director will change. I guess I was half right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Detective_(TV_series)
Old 03-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #210
danterner
Not it!

How much can you change a show and still have it be considered season 2?

"Okay, next season will have new cast and crew, a new director, the story won't be a continuation of what came before but will be a new plot with new characters in a different setting. But the writer will be the same. It's season 2!"
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote