Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #151
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
What did she say to Cohle? I thought it was something along the lines of, this is the only way he would accept a divorce.
Yeah, something like if it were just some guy in a bar, he'd take her back, but this way it would be unforgivable.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #152
john4200

Quote:
What did she say to Cohle? I thought it was something along the lines of, this is the only way he would accept a divorce.
She said "this he won't live with". But I assumed "this" meant her seducing another man, since she just said "I almost went with a stranger". But I guess you could interpret "this" as meaning Cohle specifically. It still does not make sense that she would be willing to hurt Cohle so much just on the off chance that Marty would be slightly more likely to leave her because she seduced Cohle rather than a stranger (or strangers).
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #153
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Yes, I remember something like that, too.
Something like, "this is the only way he won't want me anymore".
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #154
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Here's the relevant dialogue

Cohle: What the f are you doing here, huh?

Maggie: I’m sorry…you know…it wasn’t you…really I…I wasn’t even sure I could do it…17 years is a long time…I almost went with a…with a stranger…a bar…I’m sorry Rust…he will have to go, you see, because this…he won’t live with…

Cohle: Get the f out of here….get the f out of here…(repeating 3-4 more times as she apologizes)

Maggie: This…this will hurt him…I’m sorry but thank you…

Did she emphasize "This"? sort of...a little...could be because she was stuttering and could be because she was emphasizing. The way I understood it is that just a stranger in a bar wasn't going to be enough...She had to do something even worse...something he could not live with and could never forgive.

I think it's open to interpretation. But I think my interpretation is correct (shocker! )
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #155
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I think it's open to interpretation. But I think my interpretation is correct (shocker! )
I don't think it's open to reasonable interpretation. That was the plain meaning of the scene. Anything else is twisting things around to get some other meaning.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #156
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I don't think it's open to reasonable interpretation. That was the plain meaning of the scene. Anything else is twisting things around to get some other meaning.
Right. And this is also why she was so deliberately upfront about telling Marty not just that she had cheated, but who she had cheated with.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #157
cherry ghost

Quote:
The way I understood it is that just a stranger in a bar wasn't going to be enough...She had to do something even worse...something he could not live with and could never forgive.
Exactly! If a stranger in a bar would have been enough, she could have lied about it.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #158
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
I totally agree...I just wanted to leave some wiggle room so that some people would not get their panties all bunched up and need to prove how right and smart they are...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #159
john4200

Quote:
Then why didn't she say, "you he won't live with"? So easy to make the point that it was Cohle rather than just seducing some man. Yet she did not use the obvious word for that meaning.

Furthermore, as I already mentioned, it does not make sense. If she has sex with a stranger and sends Marty a picture on his phone, how is that any less likely to make him leave her than if she has sex with Cohle? It could actually be the opposite. Keeping it in the family, as it were.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #160
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Furthermore, as I already mentioned, it does not make sense. If she has sex with a stranger and sends Marty a picture on his phone, how is that any less likely to make him leave her than if she has sex with Cohle? It could actually be the opposite. Keeping it in the family, as it were.
Most of the time you just don't make any logical sense, but this is just plain crazy.

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #161
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
Most of the time you just don't make any logical sense, but this is just plain crazy.
Unable to make a reasonable argument, you instead resort to personal attacks. Well done.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #162
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Unable to make a reasonable argument, you instead resort to personal attacks. Well done.
Not a personal attack at all. It's a statement of fact.

Reasonable arguments have been made, by several, you ignore them or skip over the parts you can't refute or muddy with nonsense.

That you could even suggest that one spouse sleeping with the working partner of the other spouse might make it less likely they would separate is ... in a word... crazy.

Your words:

"It could actually be the opposite. Keeping it in the family, as it were."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #163
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Michelle Monaghan seems to agree:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/02/miche...interview.html
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #164
john4200

Quote:
Not a personal attack at all.
If you explain why my argument is wrong, that is fine. If you call a particular statement I made crazy, that is fine (although it is better if you explain why the statement is crazy, otherwise it looks like a personal attack).

But your post made a statement about me personally: "most of the time you do not make any logical sense". That is not a statement about the show that this thread is about, that is a personal attack.

Last edited by john4200 : 02-25-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #165
john4200

Quote:
Not surprising.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #166
pmyers

trust me.....put him on ignore. If you don't know how, just click on his name, then view public profile, then click "Add XYX to my ignore list".
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #167
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
The way I interpreted her comments is that she wanted to sleep with someone so that Marty would never take her back. She knew she would eventually forgive Marty and take him back (at least, Marty would never stop trying to get her back). This was the only way (in her mind) to end the relationship because it would be over on both ends.
This is exactly the way I saw it too. In fact, didn't she say that was her plan all along. She tried to pick up a "Joe" at a bar but decided it had to have more meaning to Marty so that he would leave her.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #168
billypritchard
Embiggener

I was fairly disappointed with this episode (1x6). I understand they have to move some parts around, get the story in place for the endgame, but nothing much happened that we didn't already mostly know. Marty was clearly divorced from Maggie. Marty and Rust broke up as partners in 2002. I even would have speculated that things happened pretty much as they did.

I guess I just think this one was kind of flat compared to the other awesome 5 hours of tv. I look forward to the last two though, and really want to see the Rust/Marty reunion.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #169
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

It seems like TD, and the search for The Yellow King, is all the rage.

I found an interesting article on Wired with their theories on who might be The Yellow King.

Who Is True Detective’s Yellow King? Here Are Our 6 Favorite Theories

Most candidates are obvious, though they did have one that hadn't ever crossed my mind.

Fun read though.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #170
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I thought s01e06 was great. Yes, much of what happened was not that surprising. However I thought the acting was really well done and definitely worth watching anyway. The entire scene between Rust and Maggie was fantastic.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #171
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Renewed.

http://unrealitytv.com/hbos-true-det...-season-order/

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #172
astrohip
Stuart F

The timing on that report is off. The article is dated Jan 31, and the writer mentions that only 3 eps have aired so far. I have clearly read on various sites that HBO has NOT renewed this. So for him to write this a month ago makes no sense.

The latest I read (within the last week) is that HBO is waiting to see who they could cast in S2 before they give the go-ahead.

Again, odd timing on this story.

~~~~~~

ETA: Just to be safe, I did some quick googling. Here is one story I found...

http://www.nerdcoremovement.com/true...uaranteed-yet/

Quote:
True Detective has become the must watch show of 2014 but despite great ratings and being a critical darling, the series hasn’t been locked up for a season 2 as of yet…

There are only two weeks to go until the first season of True Detective comes to an end, and the tension in the air is palpable as just about everyone waits with bated breath to see how this case that started in 1995 with the murder of Dora Lange will end.

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson have been nothing short of brilliant all season long, and considering the entire show has been written by one man (Nic Pizzolatto) and directed by one person (Cary Jo Fukunaga) it’s really an achievement never before seen on television.

So with the series gaining huge ratings and critical adoration, it seems strange that a season 2 commitment hasn’t been given by HBO as of yet.

According to Pizzolatto, HBO is very interested in bringing back the anthology series for another year, but they haven’t made a commitment yet without knowing where the story goes from here.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #173
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Which makes sense... in effect, they'd be green-lighting a new show sight-unseen.

A little surprised Pizzolatto apparently didn't realize that and have something ready, but hey, writers...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #174
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

My first thought when I read that was 'who are they kidding?'. I wonder if their is some other issue at play here? Contract negotiations?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #175
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
My first thought when I read that was 'who are they kidding?'. I wonder if their is some other issue at play here? Contract negotiations?
I don't know, it seems quite reasonable if you're going to spend a fortune making a TV show, you should have a pretty good idea of what that show is going to be.

And all they know now is, it ain't gonna be the same as the one they have now.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #176
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
I don't know, it seems quite reasonable if you're going to spend a fortune making a TV show, you should have a pretty good idea of what that show is going to be.
True, to a point. They would certainly want to have some idea for season one. Now, given the success of season 1, I'd bet a simple one page treatment would be more than enough for them to green light season two.

They're dying to get a season two imo, and just need the slightest excuse.

Quote:
And all they know now is, it ain't gonna be the same as the one they have now.
They knew that before they gave the green light for season one.

Either way, I don't see them giving up on this franchise at this point.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #177
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
True, to a point. They would certainly want to have some idea for season one. Now, given the success of season 1, I'd bet a simple one page treatment would be more than enough for them to green light season two.
Except for the first season, they had a script and two genuine movie stars. I doubt they're going to write a blank check on a one-page treatment. And it sounds like the writer hasn't started working on it yet (which, again, blows my mind), and they have neither a story nor bankable (or any) cast.

If it's true that there's no there there yet, I would be very surprised if we saw a second season within a year. With one writer, it could take a year just to write the script, let alone casting, filming, post-production...

I'm sure it will happen, unless Pizzolatto completely flakes out on them. But I don't blame them for wanting some substance before they hand him millions of dollars, and there's no need to rush it (i.e., commit before it's ready to go).
Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #178
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Except for the first season, they had a script and two genuine movie stars. I doubt they're going to write a blank check on a one-page treatment. And it sounds like the writer hasn't started working on it yet (which, again, blows my mind), and they have neither a story nor bankable (or any) cast.

If it's true that there's no there there yet, I would be very surprised if we saw a second season within a year. With one writer, it could take a year just to write the script, let alone casting, filming, post-production...

I'm sure it will happen, unless Pizzolatto completely flakes out on them. But I don't blame them for wanting some substance before they hand him millions of dollars, and there's no need to rush it (i.e., commit before it's ready to go).
Yeah, that all makes sense. I certainly don't know how hollywood actually works but I just thought that they would have addressed these issues long ago.

Maybe I'm too cynical when it comes to Hollywood.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #179
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
If it's true that there's no there there yet, I would be very surprised if we saw a second season within a year.
fortunately, hbo season schedules and premieres have historically proven to be very flexible, so that won't be an issue.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #180
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
fortunately, hbo season schedules and premieres have historically proven to be very flexible, so that won't be an issue.
Oh, very true...which is why I qualified it with "within a year." I'd be surprised if it never happened...unless Pizzolatto turns out to be a one-hit wonder who doesn't have a second series in him. But if he really hasn't started writing yet, or even come up with a story, then there's almost no way it could be ready for early 2015.