Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #301
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
I think what you say is true, but then when they lost the construct in eps 6-8, it lost a little of the pizzazz. It became a bit more straight forward, less awesome.
Agreed, but by that point, we care so much about the mystery we're invested, and the suspense helps make up for it a bit. But it was definitely better structure with the back and forth in time, especially when the story being told didn't match the flashback like in episodes 4 & 5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #302
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
At the risk of becoming very unpopular (I'm pretty unpopular as it is though, so whatever), I don't get the hype. I saw people on my Twitter feed saying this belongs up there with Breaking Bad and The Wire, and to me that's just insane.

I started watching about a week before episode 7, and I caught up in time to essentially watch that live. So maybe I watched it too quickly and I'm certain I missed some things. But to me it had a few unique things going for it that hyped the show: one writer for all the shows, one director for all the shows, and two big movie stars doing an 8-episode stint on television before they went back to their normal gigs.

Aside from that, it was your typical cop show, complete with pretty much every buddy cop cliche under the sun. It was made all at once, so the writer could throw in a ton of red herrings and easter eggs for the internet to talk about during the 8 weeks it was on the air, but ultimately led nowhere. I get the whole, "Life is a flat circle thing," which helps to explain why the whole Yellow King issue wasn't resolved. But that means there are a ton of abused kids out there having their lives ruined, and that to me is utterly unsatisfying, and I can't imagine it's something that Marty or Rust would've been satisfied with (which means, that with this being a one season run for the two of them means it's ultimately just a partial story).

There's a part of me that would like to go back and rewatch the season, but at the same time I feel like it would be something I'm not particularly interested in spending my time on.
IMO much much better than Breaking Bad or The Wire (and I won't go into why I didn't like these two series as much as most of you, been there, done that). I liked the fact that because it was an 8 episode all encapsulated story, we didn't get a lot of the crap that you get in longer more drawn out plots. Life is like that, there are lots of unresolved parts. They made you wonder if Rust would actually let this go, and there's a lot of speculation either way. I liked that the Red Herrings weren't actually Red Herrings but parts of the culture and psyche of the region and the character. Unlike shows I'm invested in for years, it really didn't bother me that everything wasn't tied up in a neat little bow. I liked that you really wonder what happens with the characters (and if the writer was smart, he'd do a novel with these characters.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #303
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I should add, the scene in ep 8 where they are looking for the baddies was about as suspenseful as anything I've ever seen. This series was worth it JUST for that alone.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #304
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

it is a rare occurrence with any series that i feel disappointment when an episode ends, wishing it would continue, not wanting to wait until next week. even more rare that i re-watch an episode, immediately following my first viewing, just to catch what i might have missed. true detective met both of these conditions.

why? the writing, the character development of marty and rust, the progression and regression of the story over a 17-year span, the chemistry between wh and mm, the locations and cinematography, the supporting cast (much more deserving of recognition than they received) - the careful blending of all of these. mostly, i guess, because the story wasn't compacted into a 1-hour screenplay, dialog spitted at a neck breaking pace, with all plot lines wrapped nicely in the end, tied with a bow.

i would have never guessed a crime drama, based on uncovering a pedophile ring, with a serial killer twist, could have held my attention, much less be my favorite series of the year.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #305
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
it is a rare occurrence with any series that i feel disappointment when an episode ends, wishing it would continue, not wanting to wait until next week. even more rare that i re-watch an episode, immediately following my first viewing, just to catch what i might have missed. true detective met both of these conditions.

why? the writing, the character development of marty and rust, the progression and regression of the story over a 17-year span, the chemistry between wh and mm, the locations and cinematography, the supporting cast (much more deserving of recognition than they received) - the careful blending of all of these. mostly, i guess, because the story wasn't compacted into a 1-hour screenplay, dialog spitted at a neck breaking pace, with all plot lines wrapped nicely in the end, tied with a bow.

i would have never guessed a crime drama, based on uncovering a pedophile ring, with a serial killer twist, could have held my attention, much less be my favorite series of the year.
I would say there's going to be more than a few Emmys for this series.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #306
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

This was definitely a great show and I agree with all the reasons mentioned above.

However, not nearly in the same league as The Wire. Sorry, but... no.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #307
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
This was definitely a great show and I agree with all the reasons mentioned above.

However, not nearly in the same league as The Wire. Sorry, but... no.
I agree. The Wire was AAA and this was the Majors

We all like different things. Both were critically acclaimed. This was more in my wheelhouse than The Wire
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #308
Howie
Out of Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
At the risk of becoming very unpopular (I'm pretty unpopular as it is though, so whatever), I don't get the hype. I saw people on my Twitter feed saying this belongs up there with Breaking Bad and The Wire, and to me that's just insane.

I started watching about a week before episode 7, and I caught up in time to essentially watch that live. So maybe I watched it too quickly and I'm certain I missed some things. But to me it had a few unique things going for it that hyped the show: one writer for all the shows, one director for all the shows, and two big movie stars doing an 8-episode stint on television before they went back to their normal gigs.

Aside from that, it was your typical cop show, complete with pretty much every buddy cop cliche under the sun. It was made all at once, so the writer could throw in a ton of red herrings and easter eggs for the internet to talk about during the 8 weeks it was on the air, but ultimately led nowhere. I get the whole, "Life is a flat circle thing," which helps to explain why the whole Yellow King issue wasn't resolved. But that means there are a ton of abused kids out there having their lives ruined, and that to me is utterly unsatisfying, and I can't imagine it's something that Marty or Rust would've been satisfied with (which means, that with this being a one season run for the two of them means it's ultimately just a partial story).

There's a part of me that would like to go back and rewatch the season, but at the same time I feel like it would be something I'm not particularly interested in spending my time on.
Just because you have poor taste doesn't mean we don't like you.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #309
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Yeah, the Wire was Professional AAA and this was Little League Majors.

So there.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #310
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Yeah, the Wire was semi-Professional AAA and this was Big League Majors.

So there.
FYP
Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #311
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I think the biggest difference was that The Wire was on for five years, and True Detective for eight hours. If TD had been on for five years, I think its flaws would have become much more obvious, and possibly unbearable. So it was on probably just the right length.

The Wire being on for five years made it clear that it had no flaws.

Last edited by Rob Helmerichs : 03-21-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #312
Sparty99

Quote:

We all like different things. Both were critically acclaimed. This was more in my wheelhouse than The Wire
Look, art is subjective and we're all entitled to our opinions. But anyone who doesn't think The Wire was the best show to ever air is just wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #313
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
I, Steveknj, admit I was wrong and now understand that The Wire was the greatest show to ever be aired on television, and that, while very good and with some great performances, True Detective is a mere shadow of its greatness.
FYP!!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #314
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
FYP!!

Oh, that's just wrong. What is the matter with you?

Making fun of the mentally ill. That's just MEAN!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #315
cheesesteak
Meh.

I let the whole series back up and just finished watching the finale. Took four days. Would have finished sooner but March Madness got in the way. It was very well done with great performances by the two lead actors. My only major problem was Rust banging Marty's wife. I just don't think Rust would have done that and it was a cheap literary wedge to drive them apart. I still give it four stars.

A nice surprise was when the girl from Banshee with the reeeaaaallllly nice rear end showed up as Marty's psycho side piece.

What kind of crap search engine does this forum have? I typed in "True Detective" for a title search and it brought back a single thread with only a couple of posts, one of which pointed me to this thread. The only difference being the extra "s" on Detectives.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #316
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I let the whole series back up and just finished watching the finale. Took four days. Would have finished sooner but March Madness got in the way. It was very well done with great performances by the two lead actors. My only major problem was Rust banging Marty's wife. I just don't think Rust would have done that and it was a cheap literary wedge to drive them apart. I still give it four stars.

A nice surprise was when the girl from Banshee with the reeeaaaallllly nice rear end showed up as Marty's psycho side piece.

What kind of crap search engine does this forum have? I typed in "True Detective" for a title search and it brought back a single thread with only a couple of posts, one of which pointed me to this thread. The only difference being the extra "s" on Detectives.

I'd say 'Welcome to TCF' but you're not really new here...

I kinda agree regarding Rust and Marty's wife, I just chalked it up to both of them were at an emotionally charged point in their respective lives.

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #317
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Are you sure you did not have a typo when you typed "Detective"?

I just tried a "Search this Forum" for "True Detective" and this thread came up first out of 33 threads: "Showing results 1 to 30 of 33"
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #318
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Are you sure you did not have a typo when you typed "Detective"? I just tried a "Search this Forum" for "True Detective" and this thread came up first out of 33 threads: "Showing results 1 to 30 of 33"
I experienced the same thing as him, which is what lead me to create that other thread that he did find (I first searched for True Detective and came up empty). Note that I did my search within Forum Runner on iOS: maybe it's an app thing and not the fault of the forum itself, which is why the search worked when you ran it?

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #319
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I experienced the same thing as him, which is what lead me to create that other thread that he did find (I first searched for True Detective and came up empty). Note that I did my search within Forum Runner on iOS: maybe it's an app thing and not the fault of the forum itself, which is why the search worked when you ran it?
Hmmm, I've never tried "Forum Runner". I was just using the forum search directly, as you surmised.

Here is what is printed at the top of my search results:

Quote:
Search: Key Word(s): True, Detective ; Forum: Now Playing - TV Show Talk and child forums

Showing results 1 to 30 of 33
Search took 0.93 seconds.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #320
cherry ghost

Quote:
Hmmm, I've never tried "Forum Runner". I was just using the forum search directly, as you surmised. Here is what is printed at the top of my search results:
Try advanced search
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #321
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Try advanced search
Why? The standard search worked perfectly.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #322
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

If you use standard search, it won't search titles. So in this case, standard search will give you (well, me) 30 results, including this thread (because the words "true" and "detective" appear somewhere in the body of in this thread), and advanced search limited to titles will give you 2 hits not including this one (because the word "detective" doesn't appear in the title of this thread).
Old 03-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #323
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
If you use standard search, it won't search titles. So in this case, standard search will give you (well, me) 30 results, including this thread (because the words "true" and "detective" appear somewhere in the body of in this thread), and advanced search limited to titles will give you 2 hits not including this one (because the word "detective" doesn't appear in the title of this thread).
I see. The forum search appears to be incapable of doing partial word matches. I tried using * for a wildcard "true detective*" and it did not accept the search terms.

I guess the moral of the story is to always do a "search entire posts" search if you use the advanced search, and hopefully someone in the thread will have typed the correct show name if the OP got it wrong in the title. (and, of course, the OP should try very hard to spell the show name correctly in the title)
Old 03-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #324
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I guess the moral of the story is to always do a "search entire posts" search if you use the advanced search, and hopefully someone in the thread will have typed the correct show name if the OP got it wrong in the title. (and, of course, the OP should try very hard to spell the show name correctly in the title)
Although often a show title will appear in the thread title, but not in the body, in which case "search entire posts" won't turn it up (it's bizarre and rather inexcusable that "entire posts" does not include the title, but that's the way it works here).

So I guess the true moral of the story is, understand the weirdness of how the search function works here and that it will sometimes let you down.

I've found a more effective way to search for existing threads can be to start creating a new thread...once you put in the title and it gives you possible existing threads, that list is often better than the one the search function will give you. So if you're sure there's a thread (or suspect there must be one) but the search doesn't find it, that's a way to track it down.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #325
john4200

Quote:
I've found a more effective way to search for existing threads can be to start creating a new thread...once you put in the title and it gives you possible existing threads, that list is often better than the one the search function will give you. So if you're sure there's a thread (or suspect there must be one) but the search doesn't find it, that's a way to track it down.
Good idea!

EDIT:

Bad idea!

I just tried starting a thread with "True Detective" as the title, and it did not turn up this thread in its search.

Probably what I said earlier is decent advice, assuming that someone would use a standard search first, and then if not finding any results, could try advanced search with "Title Only".

But probably the most foolproof search is google. Something like:

Code:
site:tivocommunity.com "True Detective"
finds this thread as the third hit in google. That obviously searches both the thread title and the entire posts in the thread. Perhaps less obviously, it also searches all the groups in the forum. I suppose you could try putting "Now Playing TV Show Talk" in the search terms if you wanted to prioritize this group in the search results (that brings this thread up to the second hit in the search results, the first hit, of course, being the one danterner started without doing a google search like this first ).

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...rue+Detective"

Last edited by john4200 : 03-22-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #326
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I just tried starting a thread with "True Detective" as the title, and it did not turn up this thread in its search.
Wow, that sucks. That technique has worked for me in the past, but obviously it's not as reliable as I thought.

I've been to other forums where the search is so bad the only way to find anything is through Google. This one isn't quite that bad, but still, it's kinda sad when an external search is more effective than a forum's native search.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #327
john4200

Quote:
This one isn't quite that bad, but still, it's kinda sad when an external search is more effective than a forum's native search.
tivocommunity appears to be a vBulletin forum, so it should be possible for the administrators to configure the search to be decent. I know the search on several other vBulletin forums works reasonably well.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #328
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Perhaps the best short-term solution is to correct typos in thread titles?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #329
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Time Is a Flat Circus

(Family Circus cartoons with the captions replaced by dialogue from True Detective)

Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #330
Zevida
witless and unarmed

That's great. I laughed out loud.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote