TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

CSI on SyFy now?

WTH? Why not just drop the pretense and admit: "We're just another cable channel. Nothing special here."

(New and improved with TiVo. Again.)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

10/12 - DirecTV Genie HR34/700
10/14 - TiVo Q
RGM1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
mr.unnatural

Why not? It's where it belongs since the show was total fiction from the start. There's very little on CSI or the spinoffs that even come close to reality.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'm pretty sure the people who get big bonuses thought "We can air CSI reruns which people will watch or we can air Mansquito which nobody will watch. CSI wins!"

Pure applesauce flavored jiggery-pokery
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Considering CSI Reruns on the network regularly out perform new shows, I can see the reason why Syfy would want it.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Compared to WWE's relationship to it, CSI is synonymous with science fiction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like the golden glade but for the standing. Velvilio has not the tin. Do not take marmosets that you cannot return to the encapsulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
WTH? Why not just drop the pretense and admit: "We're just another cable channel. Nothing special here."
The British version of the SyFy Channel was running a science-related police show several years ago that was currently running on one of the big three networks in the States. (Can't recall which one.)

Not surprising that the channel/network that calls itself "SyFy" but runs movies like Braveheart and "professional" wrestling would run a cop show with a science-ie flavor to it. They aim more towards science-flavored stuff and general fantasy now, not real science fiction.

A shame. A true shame.

Hadn't realized they'd gotten CSI, tho'. Going to check their schedule out.

EDIT:
Hmmm...
Checked their website, and can't find any CSI shows at all in their listings. Where's your information come from?

Last edited by gastrof; 12-17-2014 at 07:32 PM.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Win Joy Jr

Well, they talk about science that is mostly fiction...

Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
The British version of the SyFy Channel was running a science-related police show several years ago that was currently running on one of the big three networks in the States. (Can't recall which one.)

Not surprising that the channel/network that calls itself "SyFy" but runs movies like Braveheart and "professional" wrestling would run a cop show with a science-ie flavor to it. They aim more towards science-flavored stuff and general fantasy now, not real science fiction.

A shame. A true shame.

Hadn't realized they'd gotten CSI, tho'. Going to check their schedule out.

EDIT:
Hmmm...
Checked their website, and can't find any CSI shows at all in their listings. Where's your information come from?
Don't know if my PM got through but, the info was on a full page logo : CSI on SyFy during the Ascension broadcast. No dates listed.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

10/14 - TiVo Q
Old 12-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
They dropped the pretense a long time ago when they changed from sci-fi to syfy.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

SyFy would probably broadcast more sci-fi if people would actually watch sci-fi shows. Wrestling and CSI pay the bills. Now, don't ask me why I understand why SyFy dilutes its product but lose my sh*t over the History Channel having shows about ice road truckers and loggers. I can't explain it either.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I just don't get this obsession over wrestling. I used to watch it in the 50s and early 60s. But then I got over it.

I can remember back in the 90s at a family gathering, the kids all wanted to watch wrestling. They knew all the stars and the storylines. It still seems to be as big today.

I was working for TBS back in the early 90s when Ted Turner owned WCW. They had their own edit bay over at the CNN complex for the shows, but one day it was down and the producers came over to us to edit one of their bouts for broadcast.

There were shots from the side where the wrestlers were clearly missing each other with their blows. I had to use an over the shoulder shot from a different camera to help sell the effect of a real fight.

As I was chuckling about the fact that it was fake, the producers still kept up the pretense that what I was editing was real.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

10/14 - TiVo Q
Old 12-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.

Yes, wrestling is fake but so are all of the other dramas and comedies on tv.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Yes, wrestling is fake but so are all of the other dramas and comedies on tv.
Yes, but the dramas and comedies are acknowledge to be fiction by their creators. Not so with wrestling.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

10/14 - TiVo Q
Old 12-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
ej42137

Quote:
I just don't get this obsession over wrestling. I used to watch it in the 50s and early 60s. But then I got over it.
Why can't they put on America's real fake sport: Roller Derby!

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

I can remember back in the 90s at a family gathering, the kids all wanted to watch wrestling. They knew all the stars and the storylines. It still seems to be as big today.
So people should have stopped liking and watching it because you got over it 50 years ago???

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #16
realityboy

Quote:
Yes, but the dramas and comedies are acknowledge to be fiction by their creators. Not so with wrestling.
There's little pretense that it's real. Every superstar/diva (they do not use the term wrestler) has their own Twitter, etc. The owner has given interviews where he talks candidly about the business.

I agree that it doesn't really belong on Syfy, but it's only 2 hours a week. (Besides, other than HTGAWM, where else am I going to get to watch 2 shirtless guys roll around together?)

realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #17
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I was working for TBS back in the early 90s when Ted Turner owned WCW. They had their own edit bay over at the CNN complex for the shows, but one day it was down and the producers came over to us to edit one of their bouts for broadcast.

There were shots from the side where the wrestlers were clearly missing each other with their blows. I had to use an over the shoulder shot from a different camera to help sell the effect of a real fight.

As I was chuckling about the fact that it was fake, the producers still kept up the pretense that what I was editing was real.
You should have been there in the studio when we were taping that crap. They were completely scripted. They even offered me $500 one weekend to wrestle when some minor character didn't show up for taping. (No, I didn't take them up on that).

I also loved it that you could hear the bangs, whams, and thumps from the ring live on CNN, since the main CNN news set was downstairs immediately below the TBS production studio. It was quite loud as well. CNN was constantly complaining to management. (This was before CNN moved downtown to CNN Center).

The wrestlers would act like they were beating the sh*t out of each other with folding metal chairs, and then, 5 minutes later, walk out of the building arm in arm to go to eat. They would go in the men's room and slit their foreheads with razor blades and stop the bleeding with a styptic pencil so that when they were hit in the ring, they would bleed all over. And, let's not even discuss what went on in the production offices with selected female "fans" from the audience.

The "Great Malinco" used to eat green tempora paint powder (like we all used in school), chew it and spit on his hands so that wherever he "tagged" another wrestler it would leave a green spot, but that stopped when the corporate Chief Engineer saw the green paint residue all over all 4 of his brand new RCA TK-47 cameras and Canon lenses.

Ah, those were the days at TBS...........

mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #18
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
You should have been there in the studio when we were taping that crap. They were completely scripted. They even offered me $500 one weekend to wrestle when some minor character didn't show up for taping. (No, I didn't take them up on that).

I also loved it that you could hear the bangs, whams, and thumps from the ring live on CNN, since the main CNN news set was downstairs immediately below the TBS production studio. It was quite loud as well. CNN was constantly complaining to management. (This was before CNN moved downtown to CNN Center).

The wrestlers would act like they were beating the sh*t out of each other with folding metal chairs, and then, 5 minutes later, walk out of the building arm in arm to go to eat. They would go in the men's room and slit their foreheads with razor blades and stop the bleeding with a styptic pencil so that when they were hit in the ring, they would bleed all over. And, let's not even discuss what went on in the production offices with selected female "fans" from the audience.

The "Great Malinco" used to eat green tempora paint powder (like we all used in school), chew it and spit on his hands so that wherever he "tagged" another wrestler it would leave a green spot, but that stopped when the corporate Chief Engineer saw the green paint residue all over all 4 of his brand new RCA TK-47 cameras and Canon lenses.

Ah, those were the days at TBS...........
Indeed. I remember when the wrestlers used to come to the studio in August to shoot the promos for the Halloween events with Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. I couldn't believe how huge some of those guys were.

I also recall a time they were filming a commercial in the studio. It was the first time I ever saw a Panavision camera up close. The DP let me look through the eyepiece. I was amazed at how clear it was.

Good times.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

10/14 - TiVo Q
Old 12-27-2014, 12:55 AM   #19
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Indeed. I remember when the wrestlers used to come to the studio in August to shoot the promos for the Halloween events with Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. I couldn't believe how huge some of those guys were.

I also recall a time they were filming a commercial in the studio. It was the first time I ever saw a Panavision camera up close. The DP let me look through the eyepiece. I was amazed at how clear it was.

Good times.
Elvira did a lot of stuff with the wrestlers, and was there quite often. I used to talk to her in the hallway. She looked like she was poured into that dress. She had a great personality and was fun and spunky to talk to. She also looked even better out of costume. Her natural hair color back then was a shiny copper color which was very attractive.

One time when she came out of the studio, we did a short version of one of the skits that Jan Hooks used to do on Tush.

Her: "What are you looking at?"
Me: "I'm only looking at what you're showing."
Her: "Maybe I don't want you looking at what I'm showing?"
Me: "Then stop showing it!"

Then we both broke into laughter, it was so corny.

Yes, Good Times! It will never be that way again!

Old 12-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
Elvira did a lot of stuff with the wrestlers, and was there quite often. I used to talk to her in the hallway. She looked like she was poured into that dress. She had a great personality and was fun and spunky to talk to. She also looked even better out of costume. Her natural hair color back then was a shiny copper color which was very attractive.

One time when she came out of the studio, we did a short version of one of the skits that Jan Hooks used to do on Tush.

Her: "What are you looking at?"
Me: "I'm only looking at what you're showing."
Her: "Maybe I don't want you looking at what I'm showing?"
Me: "Then stop showing it!"

Then we both broke into laughter, it was so corny.

Yes, Good Times! It will never be that way again!
Was that a Ravishing Dahrla skit?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Was that a Ravishing Dahrla skit?
Not her Ravishing Dahrla character , but the one where Jan played the waitress in the diner and Tush would be the truck driver at the counter drinking coffee. Good memory! (I have all those Tush shows on DVD's made from tape copies I made while at TBS)

Dave